Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long do you spend in the gym?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Mellor wrote: »
    As for time, anywhere between 45mins and 3 hours - depending on what I'm doing.

Out of curiosity what would you be doing in the 3 hour session?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭COH

I'd routinely spend about 3 hours training as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

3 hours!!! What!!??

I thought 1 1\2 hours was stretching it.

Fair play, is it weights or cardiovascular that ye do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

COH wrote: »
    I'd routinely spend about 3 hours training as well.

It's replies like this that have me curious. With the law of diminishing returns, as the weights start to get heavier and heavier e.g. over double BW squat etc. Can you still train effectively (although maybe not optimally ) with shorter 1 hour or less sessions or does recovery between sets mean you just have to take longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

How exactly would one keep themselves fuelled for 3 hours?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I usually have a coffee with cream pre workout.

Sip aminos thru the session.

And after the first movement of the day (normally squat or DL, which takes 60-75 minutes) throw down a banana and nibble on a protein bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A 3 hour session isn't going to be at the same intensity as a 5km run. It won't require triple the energy as 60 min session either imo. The energy demands aren't as high as you might initially think.

I'd just have a decent meal a few hours before, usually a coffee closer to training. And maybe sip on a scoop of whey+ a scoop carb powder (powerade mix or similar).
    Out of curiosity what would you be doing in the 3 hour session?
    Typically it's 45-90 mins of striking/body-weight/movement/weights followed by 90 mins grappling. I do that maybe once a week. Other days I'll split it between two sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭COH

3 hours!!! What!!??

I thought 1 1\2 hours was stretching it.

Fair play, is it weights or cardiovascular that ye do?

Powerlifting

It's replies like this that have me curious. With the law of diminishing returns, as the weights start to get heavier and heavier e.g. over double BW squat etc. Can you still train effectively (although maybe not optimally ) with shorter 1 hour or less sessions or does recovery between sets mean you just have to take longer?

It just takes as long as it takes to guarantee the quality of effort for the end goal in mind. I think the hardest session I did recently was working up to 245kg (ish) for 2-3reps in knee wraps, then 5 back off sets also in knee wraps. The recovery is one thing, but also have to take into account how long it takes to use the equipment etc. (knee wraps are a pain, no pun intended). Then the accessory work is generally pretty high volume also (anywhere from 4-7 exercises depending on phase of training)

I eat my last meal about 2 hours before I train, thenI have a protein bar with my pre-training coffee as I'm warming up, then I have a 2 litre water bottle with a load of BCAAs that I sip on. Sometimes I'll grab a shake before I finish training, usually have food ready to go pretty soon after the session is done. If you eat to support your training when getting bigger/stronger is the primary goal its pretty hard to run out of gas anyway.

Myself and Hanley are both working in training facilities, are both relatively advanced in our training experience/exposure etc. so we represent the exception rather than the rule. We both coach people for a living, I would say (for my part anyway) that the vast majority of programming for genpop is tailored to fit a 60minute window (possibly up to 90mins for some of my clients who have extra stuff that they are allowed to on their own time).

Can you get a good workout done in 30/45/60 mins? Absolutely.

Advertisement