Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senile Richard Dawkins falls deeper into the rabbit hole of popular hatred

Options
  • 05-10-2015 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvvQJ_zsL1U

My last shred of respect for Dawkins has finally disappeared. Here we have two 'heroes' of popular media knocking over some nicely placed strawmen, creating a new concept from their asses, the "Regressive Leftist" and giving each other a pretty cringy and congratulatory 69 over having both recognised and named this concept. *Applause* Let's hear it for these heroes of the intelligentsia! Bravo.

These two men have totally different reasons for hating Muslims. Dawkins is politically unaware, only caring about the ivory tower atheist agenda, and Bill Maher is using him. In this clip, Maher looks like he's struggling to appear calm and intellectual- you can almost see the dummy within waiting to make a quip about the 47 virgins.

Truly frightening how this kind of conservative attitude is masquerading as progressive- conflating Islam with jihadism and extremism. There are literally billions of peaceful Muslims and guess what- they have a right to be Muslim if they want!! Every 'era' has a group of people in the spotlight of 'acceptable hatred' - how about this once we stand up, as real liberals, and say ENOUGH! Muslims are ordinary people FFS! They are not all bearded men in caves plotting against the rest of us.

Bottom line- you cannot bully and harrass people into believing like you believe! Let's examine the 'racism' part-- turns out a great majority of Muslims are in/from the middle-east, and by a totally unrelated co-incidence, we (in the west) are at war with them and are occupying their countries. I wonder why we've turned on them! Oh right...they are trrrrrrrists!

Damn these men. And Bill Maher- the tw*t who applauds every time Israel carpet bombs thousands of children. If anyone gets a free pass, it's THAT country. Why? Well, because they are just another white European colony "civilising" a lesser people.

History..same sh*t, over and over...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

that would be an ecumenical matter

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

Father Ted?? Aahahahahha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Tommy Kay The DJ

Old man Dawkins has finally lost it, time to ship him off to the old folks home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

You mad OP?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

someone triggered OP :(

cry every tiem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

What do you want from me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'm at a loss how you took that away from that clip.

Dawkins manages to say a lot of stupid things lately, his comments about clock kid Ahmed for one, but he was fairly composed this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I don't like Dawkins, tosser extraordinaire, but I agree with what he had to say in that clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Excuse me, please direct me towards your big-chested English women??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

OP your version of reality is extremely strange I must say.

Dawkins is right.

• Advertisement

I don't like Dawkins, tosser extraordinaire, but I agree with what he had to say in that clip.

He's standing up to be counted with Maher's neo-bigot disciples, lending his intellectual voice to their cause. If you listen again to WHAT he's saying, he's complaining about lack of free speech in Universities today (??) The Free Speech card is deceptive- yes, it's an age-old debate (i.e. free speech VS hate speech etc), but you'll find it's used by conservatives when they can't mouth off about the group they currently want to trash.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Vomit wrote: »
    He's standing up to be counted with Maher's neo-bigot disciples, lending his intellectual voice to their cause. If you listen again to WHAT he's saying, he's complaining about lack of free speech in Universities today (??) The Free Speech card is deceptive- yes, it's an age-old debate (i.e. free speech VS hate speech etc), but you'll find it's used by conservatives when they can't mouth off about the group they currently want to trash.

Nah, he is pointing out that Islam is essentially a religion still in the Middle Ages and we do not have to respect it if we do not want to. I don't. I don't respect Christianity, Scientology etc,

Respect is something you earn, not something bequeathed upon you out of fear of "causing offense".

My Bacon Sandwich finds Islam offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    ...My Bacon Sandwich finds Islam offensive.

What a wonderful name for a Neo--Cyberpunk debut album. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

You going for your SJW junior cert or something OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvvQJ_zsL1U

My last shred of respect for Dawkins has finally disappeared. Here we have two 'heroes' of popular media knocking over some nicely placed strawmen, creating a new concept from their asses, the "Regressive Leftist" and giving each other a pretty cringy and congratulatory 69 over having both recognised and named this concept. *Applause* Let's hear it for these heroes of the intelligentsia! Bravo.

These two men have totally different reasons for hating Muslims. Dawkins is politically unaware, only caring about the ivory tower atheist agenda, and Bill Maher is using him. In this clip, Maher looks like he's struggling to appear calm and intellectual- you can almost see the dummy within waiting to make a quip about the 47 virgins.

Truly frightening how this kind of conservative attitude is masquerading as progressive- conflating Islam with jihadism and extremism. There are literally billions of peaceful Muslims and guess what- they have a right to be Muslim if they want!! Every 'era' has a group of people in the spotlight of 'acceptable hatred' - how about this once we stand up, as real liberals, and say ENOUGH! Muslims are ordinary people FFS! They are not all bearded men in caves plotting against the rest of us.

Bottom line- you cannot bully and harrass people into believing like you believe! Let's examine the 'racism' part-- turns out a great majority of Muslims are in/from the middle-east, and by a totally unrelated co-incidence, we (in the west) are at war with them and are occupying their countries. I wonder why we've turned on them! Oh right...they are trrrrrrrists!

Damn these men. And Bill Maher- the tw*t who applauds every time Israel carpet bombs thousands of children. If anyone gets a free pass, it's THAT country. Why? Well, because they are just another white European colony "civilising" a lesser people.

History..same sh*t, over and over...

There's a difference between Muslims and Islamists though. Islamists actively want to tailor societies to fit their worldview. Most Muslims just want to get on with their life.

Maher is against ideologues of any faith. Not sure about Dawkins but I assume both are upset when tolerant Leftists stand up for intolerant Islamists, often at the expense of moderate Muslims.

Nah, he is pointing out that Islam is essentially a religion still in the Middle Ages and we do not have to respect it if we do not want to. I don't. I don't respect Christianity, Scientology etc,

Respect is something you earn, not something bequeathed upon you out of fear of "causing offense".

It's easy to talk about 'Islam' from a distance. How about thinking about it in terms of 'Muslims' instead? It's not so easy to denounce and dismiss your fellow man. You don't have to respect anything you don't want to. Good for your bacon sandwich, it must be proud. But look outside the window- Muslims are a beleaguered people right now.

There's a difference between Muslims and Islamists though. Islamists actively want to tailor societies to fit their worldview. Most Muslims just want to get on with their life.

Maher is against ideologues of any faith. Not sure about Dawkins but I assume both are upset when tolerant Leftists stand up for intolerant Islamists, often at the expense of moderate Muslims.

This resembles the straw man that Maher would like to knock down. It doesn't happen! At least not among sane people.

You going for your SJW junior cert or something OP?

There are lots of young people like yourself here on boards. You have to spell things out sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Another anti Dawkins thread. Another anti atheist thread. Another let's pretend religion isn't made up bs thread. Poor old AH: pray for it, now and in its last agony.

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Another anti Dawkins thread. Another anti atheist thread. Another let's pretend religion isn't made up bs thread. Poor old AH: pray for it, now and in its last agony.

Believe it or not, not all atheists like or respect Dawkins!! *shock*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Pft, people hate Maher and Dawkins because they are outspoken with their views on religion. So what, all they do is write books, do some public speaking and present a TV show. No one HAS to go along with anything they say. You can take it on board or you can tell them where do shove it. (As Im sure thousands do on Twitter etc all the time)
    Unlike religious beliefs which for centuries were forced on people on pain of death...... nothing has changed there in 2015 when it comes to Islamic extremists.
    Fair play to them. Iron age superstition has had a good innings. Its time for the militant atheists baby. Fúck yeah. So to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

There are lots of young people like yourself here on boards. You have to spell things out sometimes.

Young? Thanks for the compliment OP.

Unfortunately it seems there are a lot of betas around the internet trying to get a pity ride from some hairy-armpitted rad-fem by proving how righteous to the cause they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Most of what they were talking about makes a lot of sense. They are against religious and nationalist extremists.

Unfortunately it seems there are a lot of betas around the internet trying to get a pity ride from some hairy-armpitted rad-fem by proving how righteous to the cause they are.

Indeed..*nods and smiles*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Another anti atheist thread.

Is it any wonder given comment such as the following:
    Another let's pretend religion isn't made up bs thread. Poor old AH: pray for it, now and in its last agony.

I don't believe in the Santa Claus, but you don't hear me going on and on about it, especially with venom for those that do.

And it's not just cause they all tend to be kids either. That's of minor consequence.

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Most of what they were talking about makes a lot of sense. They are against religious and nationalist extremists.

No, they were criticising a new convenient group of people who disagree with them, who they call, "Regressive Leftists", and decrying the supposed lack of free speech in Universities to spread their brand of back-door hatred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

what did Christianity ever do to you?

i don't know if I agree with your politics but I like how you say it

Agricola wrote: »
    Pft, people hate Maher and Dawkins because they are outspoken with their views on religion. So what, all they do is write books, do some public speaking and present a TV show. No one HAS to go along with anything they say. You can take it on board or you can tell them where do shove it. (As Im sure thousands do on Twitter etc all the time)
    Unlike religious beliefs which for centuries were forced on people on pain of death...... nothing has changed there in 2015 when it comes to Islamic extremists.
    Fair play to them. Iron age superstition has had a good innings. Its time for the militant atheists baby. Fúck yeah. So to speak.

This is exactly the argument that Russell Brand gave when people blamed his daily 'DON'T VOTE' rhetoric for the miserably low turnout that led to the latest Tory victory. Yep, he said, "Don't blame me! People don't have to listen to me!" etc.

The fact is, public figures influence people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Quote Vomit -" Really?? The CC is still beyond criticism in 2015? Isn't it time we allowed people to speak out against these monsters who literally and figuratively raped this country? Shouldn't we stop kneeling down to kiss the Bishop's ring at this stage? This is not the 1950's."

You are free to criticise catholism but Dawkins shouldnt be allowed to criticise islam?

• Advertisement

Quote Vomit -" Really?? The CC is still beyond criticism in 2015? Isn't it time we allowed people to speak out against these monsters who literally and figuratively raped this country? Shouldn't we stop kneeling down to kiss the Bishop's ring at this stage? This is not the 1950's."

You are free to criticise catholism but Dawkins shouldnt be allowed to criticise islam?

I can criticise whomever I want, and I don't have to wait for Dawkins to do it first. He is not my leader. Yes, I am actually an atheist who doesn't like Dawkins!

Advertisement