Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COMMENTS THREAD for Random Photos LII

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Silva360 wrote: »
    @ Longshanks: Your Golden Gate Bridge photo is amazing. Epic mood! Love it....

@ Myksyk: I really like your recent photo, but, and I hope you don't mind me saying, the horizon line is too hard. If you softened that it would be a stunning shot. Beautiful colours.

Thanks Silva. You are correct I over sharpened but had flattened my PS file. I worked on the other edges and forgot the horizon. Will work on it. That picture looks very different on my iPhone for some reason as if it is not displaying certain layers or something. No idea why!!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Silva360

Myksyk wrote: »
    ...but had flattened my PS file. I worked on the other edges and forgot the horizon.

If only I had a euro for every file I've flattened and saved only to realise later that I had forgotten something.....! Nowadays it's a psd AND tiff save for me. Please do post it again when you've finished, I'd love to see the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

humberklog wrote: »
    23150950841_42a42b0198_z.jpg

Two moody atmospheric landscapes in a row WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE REAL HUMBERKLOG

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Two moody atmospheric landscapes in a row WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE REAL HUMBERKLOG

Ha, well what are you supposed to do in Connemara? I was there and so was that. It'd have been rude not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Reference

23088762709_7a145ee610_c.jpg

Really love this shot, it's brilliant.

• Advertisement

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Really love this shot, it's brilliant.

I can do 'normal' when the occasion demands it :-D

This ...
    23088762709_7a145ee610_z.jpg

and this:
    22750416644_5a47ff7019_z.jpg

were taken at the same time (or at least within moments of each other)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

DQ is also the hoaxer behind the shroud of turin.

DQ is also the hoaxer behind the shroud of turin.

It's true. By 'within moments of each other' I actually meant 'in 1350'.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Wailin wrote: »
    23762807786_c02f1bfe81_c.jpgUpper lake by Tony, on Flickr

Lovely picture,great to see you posting more often

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Lovely picture,great to see you posting more often

Thanks M.J.M.C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

23790294881_018a94ccd1_c.jpg

Love that image Myksyk, love the background!

Thanks mystic86. I'm lucky the fields behind my house are hundreds of yards away and provide perfect backgrounds! Also I think this chap looks almost stoic in the rain!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

xshayx wrote: »
    A sprinkling of snow up Sally Gap.
    24019524630_f0c2be83cf_c.jpg

nice shot.love those trees personally. taken them a few times myself

108030478_7aad69e67b.jpg

108030405_612058f9fd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

D.S. wrote: »

Amazing shot there. spooky and sanguine at the same time.

Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

^^ That child has a strange and alien hand. Spooky indeed.

:)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Took my new 10-18mm Canon lens for a walk this evening and thought I'd also get an early start on Challenge 173 - Candid portraits.

satnighttowncentre_zpsuols8wzl.jpg

Hmmmm. Saturday night is party night ... but obviously not in my town centre (that's the main carpark)! So I took a picture of the church instead. :cool:

21976237205_a7ab7ed6ee_c.jpg

There's a serious amount of happy vibe in this shot. Captivating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

21976237205_a7ab7ed6ee_c.jpg

There's a serious amount of happy vibe in this shot. Captivating.

I totally agree, I looked at each face individually and kept going around, it's really lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I would absolutely kill for a Fruit Pastille now. Damn you longshanks!

keps wrote: »

Hi Keps - hope you don't mind this post.

Interesting bird :) You're some man for finding good bird shots

I just noticed the bird is a bit fuzzy, so I had a look at the photo on Flickr, I think the shutter speed is too low at 1/250, especially at 600mm. I wouldn't go below 1/600, or preferably 1/1000. I know you have to balance the iso, which is currently 1000, but you can also increase the exposure by a couple of stops in post processing if you aren't already...
    One last thing, based on the branch thing he is on I'd say the focus might be slightly in front of the bird. I personally generally use spot focus..might be better than centre-weighted that you used...worth a go :)

All the best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

24758667050_a5e71b7071_c.jpg

Beautiful, such clarity ..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

mystic86 wrote: »
    Hi Keps - hope you don't mind this post.

Interesting bird :) You're some man for finding good bird shots

I just noticed the bird is a bit fuzzy, so I had a look at the photo on Flickr, I think the shutter speed is too low at 1/250, especially at 600mm. I wouldn't go below 1/600, or preferably 1/1000. I know you have to balance the iso, which is currently 1000, but you can also increase the exposure by a couple of stops in post processing if you aren't already...
    One last thing, based on the branch thing he is on I'd say the focus might be slightly in front of the bird. I personally generally use spot focus..might be better than centre-weighted that you used...worth a go :)

All the best.

Thanks Mystic... sorry for delay- just came across your post on this wet Saturday morning!

I was walking along on the 'bright ' side of the Liffey with the camera on monopod. I had just taken a photo of a 'static' robin on a branch and had manually adjusted the ISO and shutter speed ( I leave the aperture at max most of the time) to suit this robin photo when I spotted this cormorant across under the trees on the dark side of the Liffey.

As I spun the camera to take a pic( and hopefully adjust camera setting to suit the new situation) - it 'spooked' and started a 'take off' motion.
    I always use 'spot' focus so any blurriness is most likely motion blur- as 1/250 is not sufficient on this lens( even though the VC is excellent on this lens and worth 2+ shutter speed increments) to totally capture motion . I will have to check up on why 'cetre weighted' appears on exif data - maybe I have some cross-combination but it is spot*.
    I did quickly then manage to manually up iso to 1600 and the ss to 1/500 for the next shots just before he scarpered:pac::pac:

This in one of a sequence- other 2 are here on post 6772

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055338830&page=452

Happy enough with results given that I had minimal time to adjust the ISO/speed for the shots.

* I have again reset my camera according to instruction to 'Spot' and taken a photo. Exif comes up as 'centre-weighted - no idea why?- maybe a D600 thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

keps wrote: »
    Thanks Mystic... sorry for delay- just came across your post on this wet Saturday morning!

I will have to check up on why 'cetre weighted' appears on exif data - maybe I have some cross-combination but it is spot*.
    I did quickly then manage to manually up iso to 1600 and the ss to 1/500 for the next shots just before he scarpered:pac::pac:

This in one of a sequence- other 2 are here on post 6772

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055338830&page=452

Happy enough with results given that I had minimal time to adjust the ISO/speed for the shots.

* I have again reset my camera according to instruction to 'Spot' and taken a photo. Exif comes up as 'centre-weighted - no idea why?- maybe a D600 thing?

I wonder are you both mixing up Focus & exposure metering????

pixbyjohn wrote: »

I am on about focus, after that I don't know anymore to answer your question

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

pixbyjohn wrote: »

You may be right Pixyjohn... I have spot focus( probably better referred to as Single Area) but centre weighted exposure measurement - which I think is what Mystic picked up in the exif data and where I got confused to tell the truth

Anyway, whichever, I think the main takeaway is the shutter speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

yjEJ1ud.jpg

mystic86 - have to say this is definitely on my all time favourite list from the boards random photo thread. Love the composition and processing. I find my eyes are constantly moving outwards and inwards from the ceiling. For me - i think I would prefer it without the dude on the escalator as I think the composition stands on it's own but that's a minor point. Cracking image..

D.S.

D.S. wrote: »
    mystic86 - have to say this is definitely on my all time favourite list from the boards random photo thread. Love the composition and processing. I find my eyes are constantly moving outwards and inwards from the ceiling. For me - i think I would prefer it without the dude on the escalator as I think the composition stands on it's own but that's a minor point. Cracking image..

D.S.

Hey, thanks for the kind words!

I have ones without people in it as well as ones with people other than him, and ones with more than one person.

I thought a person might add some scale to it, and maybe some sense of dynamism, but I'm open to other thoughts like yours.

Thanks for the feedback :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

24790093613_954b6f18c2_c.jpg

Gorgeous colours, mixed with the macro - I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

Thanks Cowboy :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement