Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COMMENTS THREAD for Random Photos LII

Options
  • 05-10-2015 9:25am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Comments for Photo's in Random Photo Thread LII

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Humberklog, what the hell is going on in that shot of the guy with the ripped pants sitting on a stick? :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Humberklog, what the hell is going on in that shot of the guy with the ripped pants sitting on a stick? :p

I was at a wedding in Devon during the summer. One of the locals came down to look at the goings on and stuck a pole up his arse. I snapped it on my phone at the time but only got the film rolls developed this week. So I was reminded of it then, made me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

humberklog wrote: »
    I was at a wedding in Devon during the summer. One of the locals came down to look at the goings on and stuck a pole up his arse.

Bahaha. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I wish there was a figure in the mid/foreground of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Tiriel wrote: »
    I wish there was a figure in the mid/foreground of this!

Now that you say that I know what you mean yet at the time I spent a good 15 minutes waiting for people to not be milling around in the middle :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

rog871 wrote: »
    Not a comment on the photograph per se but just wondering if the lights on the Eiffel are still under copyright - a strange concept that I've never fully grasped.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

21558791893_86c61ccb3d_c.jpg

too much TOO MUCH !

The eyes and teeth look unnatural compared to the rest of the image. I assume you've boosted their local contrast or something or toned down the rest of the shot ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

OldGoat wrote: »
    Not a comment on the photograph per se but just wondering if the lights on the Eiffel are still under copyright - a strange concept that I've never fully grasped.

AFAIK yes, the lighting is considered a piece of art and therefore has copyright protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

21558791893_86c61ccb3d_c.jpg

too much TOO MUCH !

The eyes and teeth look unnatural compared to the rest of the image. I assume you've boosted their local contrast or something or toned down the rest of the shot ?

thanks Daire - I agree with you. The eyes and teeth look off. I went back into PS and I had somehow fat thumbed and deleted a group of layers by mistake and missed it on the export.

I did try some global contrast edits and then pulled back somewhat on the eyes/teeth. I have updated the shot on flickr. However, something that's still throwing me off is that (to my eye) the shot on flickr seems better / more natural (though still on the sharp side). However, when I see it in boards it looks completely off still. I am guessing it's something to do with the downsizing to 800 px?

It's late here so maybe I need to look again tomorrow with a fresh pair of eyes - but does anyone else see a difference between boards and flickr (if using a desktop)?

https://flic.kr/p/yR5rJv

D.S.

D.S. wrote: »
    It's late here so maybe I need to look again tomorrow with a fresh pair of eyes - but does anyone else see a difference between boards and flickr (if using a desktop)?
    D.S.

Not especially, no. It was on Flickr that I noticed it first when I zoomed in a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Yeah have to agree here some of the eyes in your flickr pics are a bit over done (for my taste anyway and what little I know)
    They just look unnatural (no offence) I do love your style though.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dereksheerin/18975055483/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/dereksheerin/14302078990/

Btw - love this:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/dereksheerin/14204178829/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Great shot xhsayx, a nice Orionid meteor on the right.
    xshayx wrote: »
    22150143526_fa4bf12257_c.jpg

Can I ask where the location is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

Anyone know where my 'Croagh Patrick' picture went to :(:confused:

If it was greater than 800pixels it might have been removed as per thread limitations.

If it was greater than 800pixels it might have been removed as per thread limitations.

Oh, sorry yea, it might have been :o

Make sure you post it again in a smaller size, Flickr makes it straightforward to post, check the first post in the random thread for instructions!

Make sure you post it again in a smaller size, Flickr makes it straightforward to post, check the first post in the random thread for instructions!

Cheers, will do.

Silva360 wrote: »
    366711.jpg

366712.jpg

First day out with my new camera. CC welcome

Really nice! What did you buy?!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Silva360

Really nice! What did you buy?!

Thanks!

I've been using a D700 for the last seven years, really love/d that camera. Sadly, I was caught out in torrential rain storm for 3 hours in late August and my so called waterproof gear proved not so waterproof after all! My camera died and the professionals at Fixation said it was 'beyond economic repair'. So I saved, begged, borrowed and went for the D810. Spent a week getting familiar with it and then went on on my first shoot over the weekend. It's a real beauty. So yeah, a D810 :)

Silva360 wrote: »
    Thanks!

I've been using a D700 for the last seven years, really love/d that camera. Sadly, I was caught out in torrential rain storm for 3 hours in late August and my so called waterproof gear proved not so waterproof after all! My camera died and the professionals at Fixation said it was 'beyond economic repair'. So I saved, begged, borrowed and went for the D810. Spent a week getting familiar with it and then went on on my first shoot over the weekend. It's a real beauty. So yeah, a D810 :)

Well that sounds like a great reason to get out shooting!! Doing great work so far - love both of those shots, really atmospheric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Great shot xhsayx, a nice Orionid meteor on the right.
    Can I ask where the location is?

Thanks! And thanks for the meteor name, was't really sure what it was!

Its up at Sally Gap (the R759 heading towards Manor Kilbride, but not too far after the Sally Gap crossroads), lots of deer making nosies so nice and eerie up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mc_grens

xshayx wrote: »
    Thanks! And thanks for the meteor name, was't really sure what it was!

Its up at Sally Gap (the R759 heading towards Manor Kilbride, but not too far after the Sally Gap crossroads), lots of deer making nosies so nice and eerie up there!

A good Milky Way spot in the summer maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Wamble wrote: »
    My first wedding :)

b24bc2b812d2017205c9c3dd699b3f0c
    eoghanlyons.com

I'd love to see some more of these and hear how you found the experience

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

mc_grens wrote: »
    A good Milky Way spot in the summer maybe?

I'd say it is, apart from a patch of light pollution in the Dublin direction, it gets nice and dark up there!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,684 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97538270&postcount=217

@DQ; where was the second shot taken? i like it a lot.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97538270&postcount=217

@DQ; where was the second shot taken? i like it a lot.

I've added the location in Flickr. It was an ephemeral thing. Nothing now remains. Around that sign the lone and level, eh, rubble, stretches far away

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97608371&postcount=269

Humberclogs image of a mother and child.

With regard to the thread on photographing children you posted this lovely image. In comedy timing is king. Well played sir, well played. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭pwllor

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    I'd love to see some more of these and hear how you found the experience
    I love the light on her face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

https://flic.kr/p/B7G4uV

23048202105_a373aa1183_c.jpg

I love it, 1st off its a great photo but also the Lion looks like he's got such an attitude !! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Silva360

@ Longshanks: Your Golden Gate Bridge photo is amazing. Epic mood! Love it....

@ Myksyk: I really like your recent photo, but, and I hope you don't mind me saying, the horizon line is too hard. If you softened that it would be a stunning shot. Beautiful colours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement