Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod warning #1: Seven Dublin men given prison terms ranging from 12-20 years for raid

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

12 years with 7 years suspended.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Not nearly long enough for what they did to that family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

God I feel sick after reading that. That poor family.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

The courts should have sent out a message here and given heavier sentences.
    Well done to the Guards involved for the quick arrests.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

CB19Kevo wrote: »

In fairness, it's a lot heavier than I was expecting!
    Hopefully now they actually serve those years and don't be let out earlier...
    I can't see scum like this being reformed though... and they'll be back out in their early 30s ready to terrorise again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Love the death-stare by Big Ears on the Irish Times main page. Fella's thinking he better start to set the tough guy tone now, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1001/731682-tipperary-burglary-sentence/

Please keep this civil and read the charter if you haven't already

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055747615

If every second post is "hang the p***ks" then it'll be locked. Inciting violence or law breaking won't be tolerated

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

God I can't even imagine something like that happening in Tipperary of all places :( Sounds like something in Somalia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Scum of the earth.

€1300 between 7 as well, all that for a cool €185 each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The mental picture of a two year old child cringing and shaking in the corner of her cot is very disturbing for me.
    The fact that two of the culprits got 12 year sentences with 7 years suspended is just as disturbing. They'll be out in just over 2 years to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Excellent news let's hope they actually serve the time now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

CB19Kevo wrote: »

Those sentences are very heavy though by Irish standards, some of these scumbags will be locked up for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭gerarda

We need national service in Ireland, run by individuals like Mr.Weston!:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

bad animals, but also very, very stupid. They stole 2 cars from the family to get back back to Dublin. How did they think they wouldn't be caught? The miracle is that 2 of them got as far as Newlands Cross before they were stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The mental picture of a two year old child cringing and shaking in the corner of her cot is very disturbing for me.
    The fact that two of the culprits got 12 year sentences with 7 years suspended is just as disturbing. They'll be out in just over 2 years to do it again.

What they did was horrific and completely unnecessary. There was no excuse for terrorising and traumatising young children like that.

Ironically they've ruined their own lives as well. I don't think they will ever be able to reintegrate back into society after this, most people in their own communities would draw the line at them terrorising children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Sgt. Tim Weston is about as intimidating as a convent school girl, all mouth & trousers :pac:

If he got up in most peoples faces like that, he'd end up with a headbutt for his troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Scum of the earth.

€1300 between 7 as well, all that for a cool €185 each.
    Was thinking that, they could get that for a nights work in a normal job. No need to get guns, rob a car and threaten a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Strazdas wrote: »
    Those sentences are very heavy though by Irish standards, some of these scumbags will be locked up for years.

They're some kind of start, but nowhere near good enough. Anyone involved in a crime like that should get a minimum of ten years with absolutely none of it suspended.

It's not about punishment, it's about getting as many sociopathic violent f*ckers away from public society as possible, for as long as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Deep Six

A better sentence would have to been to hogtie the 7 of them in a room and let the father in there with a baseball bat. Whatever was left of them after that, off to prison for 20 years.

• Advertisement

I wish I didn't have a picture of a two year old baby shaking with fear in my head. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Idiots probably watched too many Robert De Niro movies.

'We'll do one last heist before going straight. We'll be set for life and living in Mexico'.

Gets equivalent of a dole payment and end up in the slammer.

Morons.

Hope the family get over it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Cienciano wrote: »
    Was thinking that, they could get that for a nights work in a normal job. No need to get guns, rob a car and threaten a family.

According to some people they could get that much sitting on the Ha'Penny Bridge with a styrofoam cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Why was the judge prattling on about forgiveness for?

Pure waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Candie wrote: »
    I wish I didn't have a picture of a two year old baby shaking with fear in my head. :(

Thinking of something like that happening to your old child is just a terrible terrible feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Turfcutter

Strazdas wrote: »
    Ironically they've ruined their own lives as well. I don't think they will ever be able to reintegrate back into society after this, most people in their own communities would draw the line at them terrorising children.

I suspect that to start out with, they were never contributors to society in any meaningful way. I doubt their families and relations care either. They were shouting abuse up at the judge during sentencing and the defendants were laughing away.

Anyway, they'll appeal the severity of the sentence, a senile judge will cut it, they'll get early release for good behaviour regardless of whatever mayhem they cause in prison.

It's a great little country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

bad animals, but also very, very stupid. They stole 2 cars from the family to get back back to Dublin. How did they think they wouldn't be caught? The miracle is that 2 of them got as far as Newlands Cross before they were stopped.

The Gardai knew where they were and were monitoring them and did a planned stop at Newlands Cross (I think 4 garda cars were involved)

Finally a judge who has woken up to these scumbags and given proper lengths and the suspenede part applying for 10 years after release - hpefully other judges will follow suit. If they do, scum will very quickly get the message.

No comment from Pavee Point considering that these are primarily from the traveller community

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Does this suspended sentencing actually work or is it just to reduce Prison over-crowding??

I really don't think it discourages good behavior upon release. No sign of remorse from these ***ker's, only sorry that they got caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Why was the judge prattling on about forgiveness for?

Pure waffle.
    He's probably caught Religion. Some crap about forgiving sinners etc.

• Advertisement

Nerdy, but relevant - there was an episode of Star Trek: Voyager, I believe, in which an alien race developed a method of punishment for convicted criminals, where they have to relive the crime from the victim's point of view, feeling everything they felt, seeing everything they saw, for the rest of their lives.

For cases like this, this is what we really need.

Advertisement