Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mod warning #1: Seven Dublin men given prison terms ranging from 12-20 years for raid

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

12 years with 7 years suspended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,681 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Not nearly long enough for what they did to that family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

God I feel sick after reading that. That poor family.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

The courts should have sent out a message here and given heavier sentences.
    Well done to the Guards involved for the quick arrests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

CB19Kevo wrote: »

In fairness, it's a lot heavier than I was expecting!
    Hopefully now they actually serve those years and don't be let out earlier...
    I can't see scum like this being reformed though... and they'll be back out in their early 30s ready to terrorise again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Love the death-stare by Big Ears on the Irish Times main page. Fella's thinking he better start to set the tough guy tone now, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1001/731682-tipperary-burglary-sentence/

Please keep this civil and read the charter if you haven't already

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055747615

If every second post is "hang the p***ks" then it'll be locked. Inciting violence or law breaking won't be tolerated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,371 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Good riddance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

God I can't even imagine something like that happening in Tipperary of all places :( Sounds like something in Somalia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Scum of the earth.

€1300 between 7 as well, all that for a cool €185 each.

• Advertisement

The mental picture of a two year old child cringing and shaking in the corner of her cot is very disturbing for me.
    The fact that two of the culprits got 12 year sentences with 7 years suspended is just as disturbing. They'll be out in just over 2 years to do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Excellent news let's hope they actually serve the time now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,345 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

CB19Kevo wrote: »

Those sentences are very heavy though by Irish standards, some of these scumbags will be locked up for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭gerarda

We need national service in Ireland, run by individuals like Mr.Weston!:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

bad animals, but also very, very stupid. They stole 2 cars from the family to get back back to Dublin. How did they think they wouldn't be caught? The miracle is that 2 of them got as far as Newlands Cross before they were stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,345 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The mental picture of a two year old child cringing and shaking in the corner of her cot is very disturbing for me.
    The fact that two of the culprits got 12 year sentences with 7 years suspended is just as disturbing. They'll be out in just over 2 years to do it again.

What they did was horrific and completely unnecessary. There was no excuse for terrorising and traumatising young children like that.

Ironically they've ruined their own lives as well. I don't think they will ever be able to reintegrate back into society after this, most people in their own communities would draw the line at them terrorising children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Sgt. Tim Weston is about as intimidating as a convent school girl, all mouth & trousers :pac:

If he got up in most peoples faces like that, he'd end up with a headbutt for his troubles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Scum of the earth.

€1300 between 7 as well, all that for a cool €185 each.
    Was thinking that, they could get that for a nights work in a normal job. No need to get guns, rob a car and threaten a family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Strazdas wrote: »
    Those sentences are very heavy though by Irish standards, some of these scumbags will be locked up for years.

They're some kind of start, but nowhere near good enough. Anyone involved in a crime like that should get a minimum of ten years with absolutely none of it suspended.

It's not about punishment, it's about getting as many sociopathic violent f*ckers away from public society as possible, for as long as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Deep Six

A better sentence would have to been to hogtie the 7 of them in a room and let the father in there with a baseball bat. Whatever was left of them after that, off to prison for 20 years.

• Advertisement

I wish I didn't have a picture of a two year old baby shaking with fear in my head. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Idiots probably watched too many Robert De Niro movies.

'We'll do one last heist before going straight. We'll be set for life and living in Mexico'.

Gets equivalent of a dole payment and end up in the slammer.

Morons.

Hope the family get over it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Cienciano wrote: »
    Was thinking that, they could get that for a nights work in a normal job. No need to get guns, rob a car and threaten a family.

According to some people they could get that much sitting on the Ha'Penny Bridge with a styrofoam cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Why was the judge prattling on about forgiveness for?

Pure waffle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Candie wrote: »
    I wish I didn't have a picture of a two year old baby shaking with fear in my head. :(

Thinking of something like that happening to your old child is just a terrible terrible feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Turfcutter

Strazdas wrote: »
    Ironically they've ruined their own lives as well. I don't think they will ever be able to reintegrate back into society after this, most people in their own communities would draw the line at them terrorising children.

I suspect that to start out with, they were never contributors to society in any meaningful way. I doubt their families and relations care either. They were shouting abuse up at the judge during sentencing and the defendants were laughing away.

Anyway, they'll appeal the severity of the sentence, a senile judge will cut it, they'll get early release for good behaviour regardless of whatever mayhem they cause in prison.

It's a great little country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

bad animals, but also very, very stupid. They stole 2 cars from the family to get back back to Dublin. How did they think they wouldn't be caught? The miracle is that 2 of them got as far as Newlands Cross before they were stopped.

The Gardai knew where they were and were monitoring them and did a planned stop at Newlands Cross (I think 4 garda cars were involved)

Finally a judge who has woken up to these scumbags and given proper lengths and the suspenede part applying for 10 years after release - hpefully other judges will follow suit. If they do, scum will very quickly get the message.

No comment from Pavee Point considering that these are primarily from the traveller community

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Does this suspended sentencing actually work or is it just to reduce Prison over-crowding??

I really don't think it discourages good behavior upon release. No sign of remorse from these ***ker's, only sorry that they got caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Why was the judge prattling on about forgiveness for?

Pure waffle.
    He's probably caught Religion. Some crap about forgiving sinners etc.

• Advertisement

Nerdy, but relevant - there was an episode of Star Trek: Voyager, I believe, in which an alien race developed a method of punishment for convicted criminals, where they have to relive the crime from the victim's point of view, feeling everything they felt, seeing everything they saw, for the rest of their lives.

For cases like this, this is what we really need.

Does this suspended sentencing actually work or is it just to reduce Prison over-crowding??

I really don't think it discourages good behavior upon release. No sign of remorse from these ***ker's, only sorry that they got caught.

Yep. These lads didn't pick on this poor family by accident either. There was a good deal of planning before they struck. They probably followed him home or had an acquaintance living near him. They had to provide themselves with transport (probably stolen ), had to get weapons, masks etc.
    Some of these got off very lightly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Was it a planned raid or just drove to a quiet country area and picked houses at random

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Funny reading some of the Facebook posts of 1 of the guilty party's girlfriend. Has a young child too. Fu(king deluded. I wonder how she would feel if a gang broke in on her and her kid and was threatened in the same manner.

Absolute scotes, the lot of them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

bigpink wrote: »
    Was it a planned raid or just drove to a quiet country area and picked houses at random

He, the victim, was a business owner at the time and they were asking him where his safe was so that leads me to believe it was planned.

But they couldn't kick in the door and fled in one of the victims cars which leads me to believe it wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

flanzer wrote: »
    Funny reading some of the Facebook posts of 1 of the guilty party's girlfriend. Has a young child too. Fu(king deluded. I wonder how she would feel if a gang broke in on her and her kid and was threatened in the same manner.

Without doxxing her, what kind of stuff is she saying?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Why, what is she saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

For first time/one time only offenders yes it would be quite effective, no point in jailing someone unless they are an actual danger to the public. So someone having a jail sentence hanging over them for a year is a big issue.

For guys like these it is useless.

They are a danger, but they will be eventually released and be much, much worse after that length of time in an Irish prison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Saying her heart has been ripped to pieces. Others saying that she need not worry, he's a strong person. Others offering their condolences 'Thinking of you all'. You'd swear the little scrote had died

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Great to see judge here for giving a meaningful sentence to these scum
    Combined 107 Years for the 7 of them for aggravated burglary. No doubt influenced by recent spate of similar crimes.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1001/731682-tipperary-burglary-sentence/

Seven Dublin men who admitted carrying out an aggravated burglary on a family home in Co Tipperary two years ago have received a range of sentences totaling 105 years.
    The men broke into the home of Mark and Emma Corcoran at Burnchurch, near Killenaul in November 2013.
    The couple’s three young daughters, who were aged eight, six and two, were also in the house at the time.
    Judge Tom Teehan handed down the sentences at Clonmel District Court.
    Two of the men - Dean Byrne, 22, of Cabra Park and Patrick Gately, 27, of Primrose Grove in Darndale were both sentenced to 20 years in prison, both with four suspended.
    John Joyce, 20, of Lentisk Lawn, Donaghmede was sentenced to 15 years with four suspended and Patrick Joyce, 22, of Beaumont Hall, Beaumont Woods was sentenced to 14 years with four suspended.
    Thomas Flynn, 20, of Moatview Avenue, Coolock was jailed for 12 years with three suspended, while Michael McDonagh, 23, of Tara Lawns, Belcamp Lane, Coolock and Donal O’Hara from Glin Park in Coolock were both sentenced to 12 years, both with seven suspended.
    Judge Teehan said an awful lot of violence was used and the violation of all the rights associated with the family and family home had been committed by the gang.
    He said the crime fell into the higher range of the offences committed, and while the maximum possible sentence in a case of aggravated burglary is life in prison, Judge Teehan said he did not feel that was correct in this case although he had considered it.
    He said the level of gratuitous violence used on Mr and Mrs Corcoran was terrifying and he also had to be a voice for the children.
    Speaking directly to the couple he said he could not believe the pain and suffering they had had to endure and wished them well for the future.
    The court previously heard that all seven men had travelled originally in two separate cars to the Corcoran's house.
    Mr Corcoran was involved in selling gym equipment around the country.
    During the burglary Mrs Corcoran managed to dial 999 and left her mobile phone turned on for around seven minutes.
    Gardaí in Thurles could hear what was happening during the raid.
    Detective Sergeant James White had told the court that he had heard the subsequent recording a number of times and one of the most audible things on it is the terrified, piercing screams of the children.
    Mrs Corcoran said she told the raiders that her children were in the house and was told "we'll kill your f***ing kids".

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

Were they travellers? I haven't seen it reported that they are.

They got what I consider to be very moderate sentences, the pitiful thing is that going on previous sentencing I'm surprised they got as long as they did.
    And the sickening thing is that many of them will be back out in our world before they turn 30.

As for their families and friends shouting at the Judge, Christ it really says it all. Some groups of people don't have a place in our society they are nothing more than a scourge on it.

If an organisation formed to come down on these scumbags and crush them, I'd give them my support.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Still not long enough, ideally they'd all be put into the ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

I've been waiting for this thread in the hopes that it would be a sentence worthy of the terror they put that family through. Here's hoping that the appeals court judge recognises that these people stay in prison for as long as possible, in the public interest.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Threadz Mergedz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Unsure why the judge felt that this crime was not worthy of the maximum?

Long sentences yes, but these lads deserved more. They travelled across the country broke into a families home and beat the father viciously in front of his wife and kids and held them all captive, thats five people.

I watched a show on TV the other day where a 25 year old girl was sentenced to 16 years for aggravated robbery in the states.

All she did was punch someone in the face on the street and steal their handbag and phone and run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Brian from Bray

Meanwhile somewhere else in the country a murderer/rapist is probably getting a 10 year sentence with 5 years suspended :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

bigpink wrote: »

It was a planned raid, they had information about a safe, but of course being feeble minded sewer rats they went to the wrong house.

Saying her heart has been ripped to pieces. Others saying that she need not worry, he's a strong person. Others offering their condolences 'Thinking of you all'. You'd swear the little scrote had died

That's not actually that bad tbh, I thought when you mentioned it first she was going to trying to say he was innocent or arguing the case.

She's just another victim in these scum bags lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

They have scarred this family mentally and physically for a long time. Why did they only get 20 years with fours years suspended off all of them? What purpose does that serve? I get the feeling this lenient sentences are to reduce prison overcrowding. I can't imagine these judges are so completely out of touch with reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

Meanwhile somewhere else in the country a murderer/rapist is probably getting a 10 year sentence with 5 years suspended :rolleyes:
    What the hell are you on about? Your post is stupid as hell.

If you murder someone in this country the average time you'll spend in prison is 20 years.

You are then on licence for the rest of your life where you can be called back to prison at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 AmberSolace

The sentences should have been multiplied by 5 as there were 5 in the family + additional sentences for the young ages of three of the victims.

• Advertisement
Advertisement