Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking a buggy- won't fit in door, am I mad?

Options
  • 24-09-2015 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Hi all

We are expecting our first baby in Janurary and have started to think about buggies.

I have fallen in love with the uppababy especially as we are hoping to have a second within a relatively short period. The problem is it won't fit in our porch door :( am I mad to consider folding the buggy to get in and out??

Thanks in advance for advice

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,343 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You will regret it every time you come and go to the house if you buy it. Convenience is everything with kids especially a new born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Our one didn't fit into the sitting room and was bloody heavy. I lost the plot with it at 4 months and bought the cheap and cheerful joie Mirrus for 99 in smyths. Not one regret on switching, the other was a complete PITA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

+1

we had the same problem...it was a mare! oh and wait till your rushing and angry and you just end up forcing it through....pick another buggy! good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Oh god - as someone with a 9 month old who is active and on the go, DONT BUY IT! I know what its like with "the first" , you want everything to look lovely, shiny ,new and clean, smart and trendy looking and can picture yourselves out walking in the sun, ice cream in hand, chatting away to baby who is smiling away enjoying life.

While that does happen ( :) ) there will be times when its pouring rain, you will be battling with a plastic cover, 3 bags of shopping (one plastic bag just about to tear open) and your lovely baby is in a deep comfortable sleep. The last thing you want to do is have to wake them up, get them out in the rain and put them somewhere safe inside while crying , get everything into the house and go back in to the rain to fold up the buggy...

In short - practical, comfortable and convenience is key to things further down the line :) We bought Nipper Out & About - fantastic on all terrain, folds great and fits small car easily, extremely comfortable and will take a lot of abuse. You can use your car seat on it when they are small and facing you and it will easily hold until they are 3 or 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Seriously - don't buy it.

This kind of half arsed aesthetic decision will be a thing of the past when the newborn arrives.

When there is howling wind and rain outside, whacking the pram straight in the door OR getting the pram fully loaded and set before opening the door will be worth allot more than a pretty looking buggy.

I don't know what sort of buggy or system you're looking at but the ability to quietly/easily transfer young kids is really really important. Whether to try and not wake them. Also, as a proud member of the 'baby back' club, having to pull stuff in and out a porch door sounds like avoidable strain.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Oh god, yes, you'd be mad to consider it, sorry. :o

It will drive you bonkers within weeks. And its not just your door you'd have to consider. If it doesn't fit in a standard door, then it will prove problematic with some shop or coffee shop doors, or other entrances or exits -for example, you needing to pop to the loo in town but you cant get your buggy into the ladies. You don't really notice how narrow some doorways are until you are pushing a buggy.

When the baby finally nods off and you are nearing home, the last thing you'll want to do is to take them out of the buggy and wake them with wind and rain on their face. Much better to just wheel them in to continue their nap.

While you might juggle it with one baby, planning another soon after, complete with all the bags and stuff the others have described above, imagine doing the folding unfolding lark with a newborn and a toddler who will bolt the minute your back is turned. Or with a toddler and being heavily pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Totally u will regret it! It's the little things that help and matter. My buggy only fits out back door not patio door or front door it's a pure nightmare.
    Go for practical and stress free not anything that looks good but does not suit your needs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Thanks for all the advice, I did think it was a silly plan but appreciate hearing from those with experience :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I know you've gotten loads of advice. I was the same, bought a buggy that didn't fit my boot, planned to put it in the car in the middle aisle, got rid of it within about 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Hi all

Am I mad to consider folding the buggy to get in and out??

Yes, you are mad. It will drive you bonkers. Also, make sure it fits easily in the car and isn't a pain to get in and out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Oh and watch the weight. I bought a travel system which didn't look too heavy compared to others. However I have a big tall boy. By 4 months it was a nightmare to push. Bring a big handbag with either a big bag of spuds or gym weights in it. Pop it into the buggy then push it around the shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Tina82

bought an uppa baby for my first child in 2011 had another baby in 2014 and used it again...love it...its the only buggy i had for my two babies and still use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

The uppababy isn't the widest buggy, I'd say pretty standard. We have it and it fits through all normal doors I've encountered so you must have a narrow/ awkward door.
    Measure your door and go back to the shop and ask to only be shown buggy a that will fit! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That buggy isn't that wide,Is your door very narrow?You might have issues with most buggies. You can keep it in the boot but if the baby is napping in it you will be left either waking them or walking the streets with baba.
    I keep my buggies out the front in the porch because there are 2 steps up to the front door and it is near impossible to get them up the steps with babies in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

My porch and front doors are aligned and I hate it! I have sat outside for more than an hour while baby slept rather than move them with the door!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

It is a fab buggy, I love love love mine. It's not particularly big compared to others so measure carefully for any of them!

The bugaboo will fit as the door opens 25 inches but the uppababy is 26.5 inches :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,343 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Was never happy with the bugaboo we got. Paid alot for it but really not worth it. Very poorly designed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

The basket isn't great on the bugaboo either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I could never access the basket on our bugaboo when we had the carry cot on. I just felt it was an awkward travel system tbh. Sold it after a few months.

OP there's not a chance I would get a buggy that doesn't dot through my front door. You will defo regret it if you do. There's lots of nice systems out there narrower than 26.5inches. It can all be very confusing tho!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I could never access the basket on our bugaboo when we had the carry cot on. I just felt it was an awkward travel system tbh. Sold it after a few months.

OP there's not a chance I would get a buggy that didnt fit through my front door. You will defo regret it if you do. There's lots of nice systems out there narrower than 26.5inches. It can all be very confusing tho!

Basket is the worst part of the design alright but also I find them very easy to tip over if you are walking any faster than a saunter and hit a hard stop like a kerb or pot hole. Major buyers regret over here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I have genuinely heard a lot of people who haven't liked their Bugaboo once they've bought it. I thought I wanted one until I went looking properly

• Registered Users Posts: 23 joanene

id agree with more posters...dont buy it.
    bought a fab bubby for my first...cost a small fortune and it was so big and awkward...sold it after a few months.
    getting stuck in a shop doorway was enough for me...not worth the hassle!!

Thanks for all the advice, ordered a buggy today that comfortably fits in the door :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Just seeing this now....I have a bugaboo cameleon and still love it! I can comfortably walk 2 dogs and push it no probs! :) it is very expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for all the advice, ordered a buggy today that comfortably fits in the door :)
    I have the same problem with a porch door, can I ask what buggy did you get in the end?

FurbieG wrote: »
    I have the same problem with a porch door, can I ask what buggy did you get in the end?

We bought an icandy in the end, fits exactly in the door :) our little man is only 2 wks old so buggy hasn't been too many places but already seeing the difficulties we would have locally with a wider buggy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

My quinny doesn't fit in my porch door and its a nightmare.

My dd is 8 months now and I've just bought a mamas and papas armadillo. Absolutely fab and folds with one hand. Reclines back fully also and folds so compact.

congrats on the new arrival, enjoy the snuggles :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

if i had my time over again I would just buy a pram and then a light weight buggy rather than a travel system. And a car seat for use from birth up rather then just the new born ones that come with most travel systems.

Advertisement