Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth train line ignored - what are our ministers doing.

Options
  • 23-09-2015 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭

With two ministers in the area it is amazing that the electrification of the line to Balbriggan seems to be getting prioritized over improvements to the Maynooth service. Dublin 15 trains are packed for far longer periods than Norther commuter line trains - you cannot get a seat on our line from 4:30pm on wards most days but the Malahide line is rarely full and they have a far more frequent service.
    In addition far more northern commuter trains go from the south side so don't involve a change at Connolly for most users.
    It now looks like the shelving of Dart underground will mean the Maynooth line will stay as an under served afterthought for many years to come.
    The upcoming election is our chance to get this issue raised. having lived along both lines it is amazing how IR keep prioritising the northern route above the western lines. They have not even completed the signalling changes to allow more frequency through Tara Street which was supposed to allow more maynooth trains into Pearse.

I urge anyone who sees a politician over the upcoming months to raise the issue. A frequent rail service into the heart of the city would greatly improve life in D15, ease traffic and increase accessibility to work and college for thousands.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

AlanG wrote: »
    you cannot get a seat on our line from 4:30pm on wards most days but the Malahide line is rarely full and they have a far more frequent service.

In fairness, guaranteed seating is not the norm for rush hour commuter services in any city across the world. Tube, Paris Metro, New York subway, BART etc. I agree there's a problem if commuters are unable to even stand comfortably (eg packed like sardines) but is there really that sort of crush problem anymore? I know it was when I used to travel on the old Maynooth line but the introduction of the Docklands service should have taken out a lot of the Clonsilla to Docklands volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,191 ✭✭✭✭DvB

IMo the simplest solution to part address capacity issues at peak times is to simply increase the number of carriages on the trains. For example the 7.31 from Clonsilla to Connolly has 4 carriages as are others at peak times in the afternoon & morning, increase these to 8 and its a help.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ongarboy wrote: »
    but is there really that sort of crush problem anymore?

Yes, and on two of the Docklands trains each way a day also.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I remember a few years ago a carriage was so full a woman fell out of the door and between the train and the tracks, I hope things have improved a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 23,868 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

My views on the decision are on the other thread but im surprised Paschal took that decision seeing his patch straddles the same line.

I suspect Leo wouldnt have binned the electrification if at all possible.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    My views on the decision are on the other thread but im surprised Paschal took that decision seeing his patch straddles the same line.

I suspect Leo wouldnt have binned the electrification if at all possible.
    I wouldn't be so sure of that. He's on the record of asking whether Ireland really needs rail at all. I always had a suspicion that Fine Gael were anti-rail.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I heard Paschal Donohue on the radio this evening and he said he'd be making more transport announcements next week, so it's possible the Maynooth line will get a mention then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭AlanG

In fairness, guaranteed seating is not the norm for rush hour commuter services in any city across the world. Tube, Paris Metro, New York subway, BART etc. I agree there's a problem if commuters are unable to even stand comfortably (eg packed like sardines) but is there really that sort of crush problem anymore? I know it was when I used to travel on the old Maynooth line but the introduction of the Docklands service should have taken out a lot of the Clonsilla to Docklands volumes.

My point is that if you look at other trains departing Tara st for instance between 4:30 and 5 there is loads of free seats - both on the dart and on the Balbriggan trains. Yet they made a big deal a few months ago about increasing the frequency of the dart service and now they are making a big deal about electrifying the line to Balbriggan. The Maynooth line has been lined up for electrification for years - if nothing happens while we have two ministers in D15 it will never happen.
    We clearly have a need for a more frequent service but nothing is being done to provide it. The docklands train, while welcome is no substitute for a system going into the city center and linking up with the DART.

He has plenty to talk about with the LUAS extension going to his front door and the likely Airport link taking a detour via his home patch also.

AlanG wrote: »
    He has plenty to talk about with the LUAS extension going to his front door and the likely Airport link taking a detour via his home patch also.

Indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Murt10

I don't see the electrification of the Maynooth line as a really big deal. It currently takes about 20 mins to get into Town. How much time do you want to save?

Also, huge swathes of Dublin 15 including the Centre, are nowhere near the train line. Doesn't matter a damn to them if the line is electrified, they are not going to benefit from it.

I still think that they will announce an extension of the Luas from Cabra to Blanch.

For good measure, given that they have to go to the Country for election within the next 6 months, I also think that they are going to announce an additional bank holiday for Easter 2016. That will put the voters in a good mood (well me anyway). Looks like some other politicians have the same idea and are trying to hijack the idea by calling for a new bank holiday as a way of thanking the people for the way we voted in support of the LGBT community.

Murt10 wrote: »
    I don't see the electrification of the Maynooth line as a really big deal. It currently takes about 20 mins to get into Town. How much time do you want to save?

Also, huge swathes of Dublin 15 including the Centre, are nowhere near the train line. Doesn't matter a damn to them if the line is electrified, they are not going to benefit from it.

With the new station going in at royal canal park, the faster acceleration of DARTS will make a difference to times, Also, as DARTs are cheaper to run they generally get a better service that Diesels.

Regarding the obvious fact that not everyone lives beside the train line it is also a fact that many people would benefit considerably from the reduced traffic associated with increased rail usage in the area.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,017 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

There doesn't seem to be any point in increasing rail services of any kind (in this area) until the issue of level crossings is sorted. No amount of extra trains or train lines will reduce traffic if cars are constantly held up at crossings.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Dart Underground is being cancelled right now. Stop squabbling between Maynooth and Balbriggan. Without DU everything else is a sticking plaster. Educate yourselves about DU if you haven't already and stop the fighting over the cruimbs from the rural politicians' tables.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,017 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Are you addressing the politicians there murphaph or the posters on this forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Gaspode wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be any point in increasing rail services of any kind (in this area) until the issue of level crossings is sorted. No amount of extra trains or train lines will reduce traffic if cars are constantly held up at crossings.
    By "sorted" do you mean "removed"?

And why not increase the rail services? They would likely attract more passengers, which is a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I would say yes at peak its like sardines, uncomfortably so. The Dockland train also has a lot standing at peak. Peak though is quite narrow period. If people could stagger their hours the trains a lot more manageable. Personally I avoid the trains at peak. Most people don't have the option.

Its been this way for decades on the Maynooth line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

We need to start pushing Burton and varadkar on this. This is getting redicilous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

• Advertisement

No point electrifying the Maynooth line without the underground interconnector from Connolly. All you will get is electric trains delayed by a lack of capacity in Connolly rather than diesel ones. Im not even kidding, DART will not increase capacity from Dublin 15 into Connolly, it physically cannot.

No point electrifying the Maynooth line without the underground interconnector from Connolly. All you will get is electric trains delayed by a lack of capacity in Connolly rather than diesel ones. Im not even kidding, DART will not increase capacity from Dublin 15 into Connolly, it physically cannot.

Why not?

Sure its going to be the same route when the IC happens so you may as well.

The service and capacity is rediclious at the moment. Capacity in the peak hours are bursting at the seems.

Have to disagree - when the central signalling upgrade is finally completed the capacity through Connolly will be increased by about 40% as trains will be able to transit the station at a much quicker rate. Unfortunately it looks like all this capacity will go to the Northern line and the phoenix park tunnel. It would be great if Dart Underground happened but it clearly is not and now Dublin 15 is being left out of the scant pickings that are being offered in its place. The announcements today have nothing for transport in Dublin 15.

thomasj wrote: »
    Why not?

Sure its going to be the same route when the IC happens so you may as well.

The service and capacity is rediclious at the moment. Capacity in the peak hours are bursting at the seems.

Because the underground interconnector would grade separate the new Maynooth - Greystones and Malahide-Kildare routes. The existing Connolly station physically cannot put through any more trains than it already does in the peak hours - especially as they obviously mean to increase capacity to Balbriggan on the existing DART. Electrifying the Maynooth line alone will do nothing to improve the numbers carried

The existing Connolly station physically cannot put through any more trains than it already does in the peak hours

The completion of the City Centre Resignalling programme for the rail network has been given funding and this will greatly increase capacity at Connolly as a much shorter space will have to be left between trains. The increase is from 12 trains per hour each way to 20, so actually a major increase without DART underground. Dublin 15 will not be in a position to benefit from it with the way our politicians seem to be acting.
    http://www.irishrail.ie/about-us/city-centre-resignalling

Because the underground interconnector would grade separate the new Maynooth - Greystones and Malahide-Kildare routes. The existing Connolly station physically cannot put through any more trains than it already does in the peak hours - especially as they obviously mean to increase capacity to Balbriggan on the existing DART. Electrifying the Maynooth line alone will do nothing to improve the numbers carried

Dart trains have a greater capacity than the trains currently being used and take less time to depart from stations. Just because we don't have the IC tunnel doesn't mean we can't get dart trains sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

thomasj wrote: »
    Dart trains have a greater capacity than the trains currently being used and take less time to depart from stations. Just because we don't have the IC tunnel doesn't mean we can't get dart trains sooner.

Except with the darts auto braking system programmed for a loco hauling train stopping rate, they are as slow arriving into stations, or slower than dmu trains.

^ Yep.

The increase of DART stock over 29000 class, without the underground and considering the time, disruption and cost to electrify, is just not worth it....

^ Yep.

The increase of DART stock over 29000 class, without the underground and considering the time, disruption and cost to electrify, is just not worth it....

It sounds like you think the DART is a waste of time altogether. If that is your belief that's fine but if the DART is beneficial for Malahide and Bray it will be beneficial for Blanchardstown. You seem to be basing your argument on the mistaken idea that capacity at Connolly will not increase when in fact it will be increased from 12 to 20 trains per hour without Dart underground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The intercity style trains are used almost all the time now. Same on Docklands. They seem a lot less suitable than the arrow trains in terms of capacity at peak.

Advertisement