Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ land sale and restructuring [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why won't RTÉ use the proceeds of the sale of land at Donnybrook to fill the gap in its budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Why won't RTÉ use the proceeds of the sale of land at Donnybrook to fill the gap in its budget?

They've done that, sell the silverware won't bridge the gap forever

I don't see much difference.

Children's content is at its lowest levels ever with just 3.9 million spent on it in 2017, a 45% decrease from 2016.

Imported content remains steady at 25million an increase of 3 million from last year.

Drama saw a slight rise.

A lose of 6m, have read it in detail but I think that loss include the sale of land, if it does that would mean RTÉ lost 86m!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Elmo wrote: »
    A lose of 6m, have read it in detail but I think that loss include the sale of land, if it does that would mean RTÉ lost 86m!

Doesn't include the land sale.
    RTÉ returned a lower Net Deficit before Exceptional items and Tax of €6.4 million for the year

Exceptional items: Gain on disposal of land, sales-enabling project costs, restructuring and other charges

- Land sale €107.5

- Land Sale Gain less direct transactional costs €104.651m
    (Direct sales transaction costs and other related expenditures €2.8m)

- Land Sale Gain less Sales-Enabling Project Costs €99.485m
    (*Sales enabling projects €5.166m/2017, a further €3.1m in 2018)

- Corporation Tax on land sale €21.018m

- Net gain after tax of land sale, less sales-enabling project costs €78.5m

- Restructuring charge €29.591m

Total Tax - €21.4m
    Net Surplus (incl. land sale, restructuring charge, tax) - €42.1m

Bank Debt (31 Dec 2017) - €49.50m

RTÉ recorded an overall Net Surplus for the year of €42.1 million, including a net gain after tax of €78.5 million from the sale of part of the Donnybrook site, less sales-enabling project costs, and after a large restructuring charge of €29.6 million.

Sales-enabling projects
    * The total cost of the sales enabling projects is expected to be €10 million, of which €6.9 million was incurred in 2017. The balance of €3.1 million will be incurred in 2018. Of the €6.9 million in 2017, €5.2 million is charged as an exceptional expense in the Income Statement and the remaining €1.7 million capitalised as assets.
    to deliver the lands sold to Cairn Homes plc, a number of sales-enabling projects were required to be carried out to relocate RTÉ activities to another part of the Donnybrook site and as required by the sales transaction. These infrastructural projects included the relocation of the RTÉ creche to facilitate the building of a new site entrance and access junction from the Stillorgan Road (R138) to the RTÉ site, and the relocation of both the RTÉ Sports and Social Club and Fair City lot. The total cost of the sales-enabling projects incurred in 2017 was €6.9 million.

Public Accounts Committee discussion with RTÉ management from early May, prior to the publication of the Annual Report - https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/committee_of_public_accounts/2018-05-03/5/

RTE Opening Statement - https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/committee/dail/32/committee_of_public_accounts/submissions/2018/2018-05-03_rte-opening-statement_en.pdf
    RTE Briefing Document for PAC meeting - https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/committee/dail/32/committee_of_public_accounts/submissions/2018/2018-05-03_rte-briefing-document-for-pac-meeting_en.pdf

RTÉ should continue broadcasting shows that it imports from the US and which are either still running or are winding-down now or in the near future. But it can save money by putting a moratorium on the purchasing of the rights of any new US drama productions.

I know that many drama shows on the US terrestrial networks are axed after one series or even just after a few episodes and thus never see the light of day on this side of the Atlantic but RTÉ has made some atrocious choices. For example, I'm aware that there was a series called "iZombie", which I never watched but I know from the synopsis that the idea on which the series was created was unadulterated crap!

• Advertisement

I know that many drama shows on the US terrestrial networks are axed after one series or even just after a few episodes and thus never see the light of day on this side of the Atlantic but RTÉ has made some atrocious choices. For example, I'm aware that there was a series called "iZombie", which I never watched but I know from the synopsis that the idea on which the series was created was unadulterated crap!

RTÉ buy all programming in packages. iZombie isn't that bad and may not be your choice of viewing, I saw a few episodes it was a pretty standard cop show with a slight twist, a relatively well know cult graphic novel series AFAIK.

IMO RTÉ themselves have already pointed out that these shows even ones in their 15 season (Grey's Anatomy .... which I know is unadulterated crap!) are available on other service. The difference is that Grey's has a prime time slot and promotion but iZombie does not, nor do other better shows than both.

why? https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/search/?q=iZombie
    https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/search/?q=suits

yet? https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/greys-anatomy-1138/10891309/

Not sure if iZombie is on broadcast RTÉ so went with suits, which is currently airing in the twilight zone.

The problem with these shows is as follow

1. Not exclusive - They are available on far more platforms than before
    2. Cost has remained the same - even though Ireland was in the middle of a recession
    3. Not all available on the Player - Weather due to right (which is a futher blow to their cost price) or capacity (which they are working on)
    4. Limited episodes available for catch up, yet watch them again on Netflix and other providers. Few if any boxsets.

Surely if iZombie is so crap and cheap RTÉ should have its back-catalogue as part of the deal for the Player.

RTÉ buy all programming in packages. iZombie isn't that bad and may not be your choice of viewing, I saw a few episodes it was a pretty standard cop show with a slight twist, a relatively well know cult graphic novel series AFAIK.

IMO RTÉ themselves have already pointed out that these shows even ones in their 15 season (Grey's Anatomy .... which I know is unadulterated crap!) are available on other service. The difference is that Grey's has a prime time slot and promotion but iZombie does not, nor do other better shows than both.

why? https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/search/?q=iZombie
    https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/search/?q=suits

yet? https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/greys-anatomy-1138/10891309/

Not sure if iZombie is on broadcast RTÉ so went with suits, which is currently airing in the twilight zone.

The problem with these shows is as follow

1. Not exclusive - They are available on far more platforms than before
    2. Cost has remained the same - even though Ireland was in the middle of a recession
    3. Not all available on the Player - Weather due to right (which is a futher blow to their cost price) or capacity (which they are working on)
    4. Limited episodes available for catch up, yet watch them again on Netflix and other providers. Few if any boxsets.

Surely if iZombie is so crap and cheap RTÉ should have its back-catalogue as part of the deal for the Player.

iZombie was broadcast on RTÉ Two - the first few episodes at around 8 on a Monday night but then it was moved to a graveyard slot.

iZombie was broadcast on RTÉ Two - the first few episodes at around 8 on a Monday night but then it was moved to a graveyard slot.

TBH it was lucky to get a prime slot before getting a graveyard slot. could be wrong but I don't think suits got a prime time slot.

TBH it was lucky to get a prime slot before getting a graveyard slot. could be wrong but I don't think suits got a prime time slot.

Actually, Suits was in prime time on RTÉ Two at first.

Actually, Suits was in prime time on RTÉ Two at first.

What time? Anyway few last at such hours, plenty that never get prime time and others just repeated and repeated.

• Advertisement

What time? Anyway few last at such hours, plenty that never get prime time and others just repeated and repeated.

It was definitely at some time before 10, as far as I can remember.

What annoys me is that RTÉ shunted Person of Interest, the plot of which is very plausible and which was on at 8 on Monday nights, to midnight to make way for iZombie - those two shows are polar opposites in terms of plots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Apogee

RTE managed to reduce its losses by €5m thanks to a windfall from the sale of British slots on Sky's electronic platform guide (EPG). The broadcaster reported net losses of €6.4m last year, compared with losses of €19.6m in 2016. A detailed breakdown of the group's financial performance shows that losses for last year would have been €11.4m without the gain from the Sky transaction. A spokesman for RTE said that EPG slots were an intangible asset and the gain was not an exceptional item because it was "part of RTE's ongoing carriage agreement with Sky, ie part of an ongoing business contract."

https://www.independent.ie/business/media/rte-gain-from-sky-sale-reduces-losses-by-5m-37067268.html

Which slots would these be? Have RTchanged position on the Sky EPG at some point?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If its "in the UK" it has to be the NI entries presumably, but I'm not sure they moved either. The +1s were moved with everyone elses recently.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I suspect it’s the GB equivalents of the positions RTE occupy in NI- they used to be free before the May reshuffle, now they are occupied by Discovery owned channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Apogee wrote: »
    Which slots would these be? Have RTchanged position on the Sky EPG at some point?

This rang a bell this morning when I read the article, back in 2016 they published a tender on this - https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=99748&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders
    No details in the tender regarding which slots were being sold.
    Short description
    16027 - Media Distribution & EPG Consultancy Services

Detailed description
    RTÉ invites submissions, from suitably qualified Tenderers to supply consultancy services in the context of its broadcast and multimedia distribution activities. The consultancy services are:

• Lot 1 Consultancy services for valuation, adjustments and sale of premium EPG positions;
    • Lot 2 Consultancy services panel for industry research and strategic analysis of developments in relation to the media distribution landscape as requested by RTÉ.
    Lot 1 Consultancy services for valuation, adjustments and sale of EPG positions.

In relation to the valuation and transfer of premium EPG positions, RTÉ is looking for a service provider who has experience transferring EPG’s in the Media Industry.
    The service provider should be able to demonstrate proficiency in the valuation and adjustments of EPG positions, in addition to successful execution of the transfer process including marketing of positions, channel provider selection, transactions and completion of all relevant documentation.

This from RTÉ's annual report
    In early 2017, RTÉ disposed of its UK electronic programme guide (EPG) slots on the Sky platform, an intangible asset, realising a gain of €5 million before tax, which was part of the operating results for the year.

Would such slots be that valuable for a small population? Where did they move to on the NI EPG?

Seems to me RTÉ are as far from reform as possible.

The minister for Arts isgibving TV Drama 10m without fully knowing what RTÉ plan to do with there 20million fund for Drama ( I expect they'll start cutting it down by 5million at least)

And the minister for Arts will now help fund the Music Groups by a further 5 million again without any real idea of what RTÉ will do with such savings.

RTÉ have now been hand a 15million get out jail card!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Apogee

The Government has agreed in principle that the National Symphony Orchestra should move from being part of RTE to come under the remit of the National Concert Hall, rather than be established as a separate State body. The decision was taken at today’s Cabinet meeting.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/nch-to-take-over-national-symphony-orchestra-from-rt%C3%A9-1.3555351

I was surprised how sizeable a chunk the two orchestras make up of the total employee numbers at RTE.

graph2-1.jpg

And the NSO exits somewhat to the NCH.

TV Drama gets funding from the Department of Arts.

15 or so million in direct funding to RTÉ

will RTÉ drop funding to Drama in the hope that the co-produce Drama co-funded by the new fund.

Seems to me RTÉ are as far from reform as possible.

The minister for Arts isgibving TV Drama 10m without fully knowing what RTÉ plan to do with there 20million fund for Drama ( I expect they'll start cutting it down by 5million at least)

And the minister for Arts will now help fund the Music Groups by a further 5 million again without any real idea of what RTÉ will do with such savings.

RTÉ have now been hand a 15million get out jail card!

RTÉ deserves some compensation for being denied permission to have RTÉ 3 or drop RTÉ Junior programming from RTÉ Two.

• Advertisement

RTÉ deserves some compensation for being denied permission to have RTÉ 3 or drop RTÉ Junior programming from RTÉ Two.

So the tax payer should foot the bill for ministerial indecision?

Will other areas of The arts see the same increase afforded to RTÉ, have they not seen budgets cut?

How can you defend RTÉ decision to cut funding to Children's programming by more than 80% in the last 2 years?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Will other areas of The arts see the same increase afforded to RTÉ, have they not seen budgets cut?

How can you defend RTÉ decision to cut funding to Children's programming by more than 80% in the last 2 years?

Well, how long is it since they have had any increase in their net income from the licence fee?

Why are 2RN prevented from running the DVB network on a commercial basis - or any reasonable basis? It is a bit like running a bus service where they have to give the locals free travel.

Well, how long is it since they have had any increase in their net income from the licence fee?

Why are 2RN prevented from running the DVB network on a commercial basis - or any reasonable basis? It is a bit like running a bus service where they have to give the locals free travel.

But there is nothing altruistic in giving this money to RTÉ nor are there any definitive commitments for RTÉ to meet.

If they want to turn around and say yes we are taking some of the slack of the NSO from RTÉ and in turn RTÉ will be better able to fund Children's Content.

If they want to turn around and give 10million to TV Drama then RTÉ need to retain or increase the current funding it gives to Independent TV Drama.

I can see RTÉ cutting back on both with no return for the audience.

4 to 5 million removed from RTÉ's commitment to their Orchestras
    10 million removed from RTÉ commitment to Drama

TV Drama will be luck to retain 5million from RTÉ in their 2019 budget. That's adding at most 5million, and who's to say the IFB won't have its funding cut to match this 10million, in effect your getting nothing new or extra for this 10million.

All this does is reduce RTÉ losses and lets them continue as is, I worry that RTÉ won't make any new commitments that the BAI will examine.

It's not just children's programming that has been cut by RTÉ - Prime Time isn't broadcast in August anymore.

Juvenile viewers and infants won't be paying attention to the details of the funding of the programmes they watch.

As for outsiders producing more programmes for RTÉ's Children's department, that model works well with all genres of programming on Channel 4.

It's not just children's programming that has been cut by RTÉ - Prime Time isn't broadcast in August anymore.

Juvenile viewers and infants won't be paying attention to the details of the funding of the programmes they watch.

As for outsiders producing more programmes for RTÉ's Children's department, that model works well with all genres of programming on Channel 4.

It's not unusual for RTÉ to drop news &a current affairs and we have discussed that a length over the years on boards.

That's exactly the reason RTÉ can reduce funding for children's Content.

I have no problem with RTÉ using independent producers for children's content however RTÉ cut funding significantly.

As I have said RTÉ spent just 1% of its budget on children's content down 45% in 2017, down 25% in 2016.

Massive cuts for a genre that not only gives Irish children a voice, but also an area were a host of talent can start out in the business.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

But there is nothing altruistic in giving this money to RTÉ nor are there any definitive commitments for RTÉ to meet.

If they want to turn around and say yes we are taking some of the slack of the NSO from RTÉ and in turn RTÉ will be better able to fund Children's Content.

If they want to turn around and give 10million to TV Drama then RTÉ need to retain or increase the current funding it gives to Independent TV Drama.

I can see RTÉ cutting back on both with no return for the audience.

4 to 5 million removed from RTÉ's commitment to their Orchestras
    10 million removed from RTÉ commitment to Drama

TV Drama will be luck to retain 5million from RTÉ in their 2019 budget. That's adding at most 5million, and who's to say the IFB won't have its funding cut to match this 10million, in effect your getting nothing new or extra for this million.

All this does is reduce RTÉ losses and lets them continue as is, I worry that RTÉ won't make any new commitments that the BAI will examine.

If the running of RTE is wrong, then the Gov should bring in a new Broadcasting Act to require RTE to adhere to certain standards, and be responsible for their output, but also allow them the income to meet those standards.

The bankers maintained they had to be paid huge salaries and bonuses, but then they crashed the country. Turns out that you can end up with monkeys even though you paid hugely more than peanuts. That also applies to 'STARS'

It's not unusual for RTÉ to drop news &a current affairs and we have discussed that a length over the years on boards.

That's exactly the reason RTÉ can reduce funding for children's Content.

I have no problem with RTÉ using independent producers for children's content however RTÉ cut funding significantly.

As I have said RTÉ spent just 1% of its budget on children's content down 45% in 2017, down 25% in 2016.

Massive cuts for a genre that not only gives Irish children a voice, but also an area were a host of talent can start out in the business.

Prime Time was still broadcast once a week in August until a few years ago.

Prime Time was still broadcast once a week in August until a few years ago.

Prime Time's August edition only began in the mid-2000s, while RTÉ Six One News' full hour in June & July started around the same time, it still sees a break in August and as you pointed out Prime Time dropped its Tuesday night edition. All that forgets that

TWIP
    Crimeline
    The Claire Byrne Show (and its predecessors)
    News2day

All go off the air

Oh and the lunchtimes news is also reduced in August.

But all this does excape the fact that RTÉ reduced its funding of Children's Content when they said they wouldn't!

Does it not occur to RTÉ that its reputation might improve if it drops "Ireland's Fittest Family", which is home-grown unadulterated crap?!

• Advertisement

Does it not occur to RTÉ that its reputation might improve if it drops "Ireland's Fittest Family", which is home-grown unadulterated crap?!

Again you think it is unadulterated crap the audience figures would dispute that view as would the number of countries that have taken the format. It simple straight forward family entertainment it's not bad and it's not good. IMO RTÉ don't make enough family entertainment shows.

Advertisement