Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ land sale and restructuring [Merged]

Options
  • 22-09-2015 8:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

Any views on the Green partys brain fart that RTE should move to Dublin city centre and hand over the D4 hq for student accommodation ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I actually think it's a very good idea. The Greens have been suggesting variations on this for a lot of State-owned facilities in Dublin - they're pushing for the same thing with Dublin Bus depots. Is there a reason RTE needs to stay in that location? It's a very expensive site to hold onto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

I can just imagine the rumpus the unions would kick up if their poor staff had to face an extra long journey to work all the way into the city center

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I actually think it's a very good idea. The Greens have been suggesting variations on this for a lot of State-owned facilities in Dublin - they're pushing for the same thing with Dublin Bus depots. Is there a reason RTE needs to stay in that location? It's a very expensive site to hold onto.

Why is it expensive? They have the infrastructure and it would cost a lot to move it. City centre would be much more expensive as a site before the TV kit was put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Why is it expensive? They have the infrastructure and it would cost a lot to move it. City centre would be much more expensive as a site before the TV kit was put in.

In terms of forgoing the price the site would fetch if rezoned as residential land, it's very expensive. I don't know the ins and outs, but a move to a brownfield site would probably produce more than enough profit in terms of land costs to pay for the logistics. On top of that, a major student housing development next to UCD and a couple of miles from Trinity would take a huge amount of heat out of the rental market - not a straight profit, but a major benefit and a lot of pressure of the rent supplement scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Should move it to athlone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

No it should be used a national film studio. The IFB/BSÉ are looking for a new studio, it should be developed with this in mind. 2RN should run the studio along with the network and it should be a separate entity to RTÉ, RTÉ can rent the studio when they require it, as could TV3, TG4, UTV and Film producers.

The grounds of RTÉ would have to radically change for Student accommodation.

If Joe Duffy agrees with the move he should look for a job in one of the local radio stations.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

In terms of forgoing the price the site would fetch if rezoned as residential land, it's very expensive. I don't know the ins and outs, but a move to a brownfield site would probably produce more than enough profit in terms of land costs to pay for the logistics. On top of that, a major student housing development next to UCD and a couple of miles from Trinity would take a huge amount of heat out of the rental market - not a straight profit, but a major benefit and a lot of pressure of the rent supplement scheme.

It would make more sense for UCD to provide the site for student accommodation. They have plenty of land to be developed and it is growing grass at the moment so they would save the gardening costs as well.

The BBC changed its mind over the Whitecity site after the move to Manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

........NO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭saabsaab

A move to another location near to Dublin but not the city centre could work, say Kildare, Meath or Wicklow. Might help counter the overly Dublinocentric view the at comes across from RTE much of the time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Seems a populist move without forethought on how it effects either staff and auxillary businesses that support such. Given its Green origins, unsurprising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

A few points from me about this proposal from the Greens

In one way this idea will address the current structural issues for it's future infrastructure in which it will have a modern facility to upgrade to UHD/4K broadcast TV in a few several years in which the current studio is currently not even able to meet that standard.

If RTE stay in Montrose it will be a challenge in a few years time attempting to upgrade it's facilities if is not going to give land for student accommodation to UCD. It is hard to say that it will be much cheaper remain on in Montrose. The building in it's current form is not fit for purpose for the 21st Century. If they were going to acquire to another site in Dublin City Centre they probably will have to pay a much larger cost for a new site.

Although if they eventually rebuild their headquarters in Montrose; it could take several years for RTE to complete the rebuild of it's site in full.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Didn't RTE have big plans drawn up for a redevelopment of their HQ? Might've been before the bubble burst.

Don't see why they should relocate all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

byte wrote: »
    Didn't RTE have big plans drawn up for a redevelopment of their HQ? Might've been before the bubble burst.

Project 2025

But it will give a huge boost for students planning to study in UCD if this plan goes ahead. There is potential for a large number of students to stay on the Montrose site even if it is still owned by RTE. Both RTE and UCD could hammer out a deal to have a facility for students to stay in permanent accommodation.

If they were to sell the Montrose site, why on earth would it go for student accommodation? UCD have a much larger site that could accommodate students much closer to their studies.

In what way does RTE getting UHD TV then need different studios? They have just gone HD.

By the way, TV3 TG4 and UTVi all appear to think we do not need HD TV let alone UHD.

If they were to sell the Montrose site, why on earth would it go for student accommodation? UCD have a much larger site that could accommodate students much closer to their studies.

In what way does RTE getting UHD TV then need different studios? They have just gone HD.

By the way, TV3 TG4 and UTVi all appear to think we do not need HD TV let alone UHD.

I was only putting out a few suggestions for these proposals and nothing more than that. I only heard about these proposals on RTE News a few days ago. I didn't hear much about these proposals at all so do hear me out.

There is a known issue in acquiring a new site for RTE and that is about the expensive of it for RTE itself. The original Project 2025 plan from RTE does make sense to stay on site in Montrose as it does not have enough funds to move to another site in Dublin City Centre. RTE would have to find a suitable brown or greenfield site near the City Centre and apply for long term planning permission from Dublin City Centre in which RTE currently do not have. RTE, even though it has funding from two streams of revenue, are barely struggling with trying to break even within their own finances.

I do understand that the need to upgrade for both HD and UHD is extremely expensive and time consuming. RTE's current remit regarding upgrading their current studios up to HD standard is perfectly understandable and reasonable within today's broadcasting standards. I have no issue with the upgrade of HD facilities in RTE. They are well within their rights to upgrade them as long as they can afford to do it within their means.

They have just completed the HD upgrade to most of their facilities.

Where does this requirement for student accommodation come from? Why not refugees? Why not the homeless?

Bizarre

It costs 2RN €12m a year for Saorview. They collect at most €4m form TV3, TG4, and UTVi in transmission charges. The rest must come from RTE. Why are RTE forced to carry the lions share of these charges when there is room on the 2 muxes for 3 HD channels for TV3, TG4, and UTVi and room for an SD channel for Oreachtas TV?

A question to ask your prospective TDs in the upcoming election.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Has UCD mentioned that it's 330 acres is insufficient for building a lot of dorm rooms & flats?

I have changed my mind now on the UCD part because of the amount of land that UCD have to build and keep for their own use.

I may have confused myself in my 1st post. But what I am was going to say was that it will give a huge boost to students but it will be a unnecessary boost. UCD currently have a lot of land to build for their own use if they so please.

Also other broadcasters unlike RTE to output in HD is great but the question of affordability comes up yet again. I will be very happy if TV3, TG4 and UTV Ireland could afford to go on Saorview in HD. Liberty Global or UPC should the first company to address this issue of going HD on Saorview with TG4 and UTVi or ITV Ireland when it is eventually sold off to ITV as TV3's new owners have more money at their disposal and team up with ITV in future in getting this issue fully resolved.

I have changed my mind now on the UCD part because of the amount of land that UCD have to build and keep for their own use.

I may have confused myself in my 1st post. But what I am was going to say was that it will give a huge boost to students but it will be a unnecessary boost. UCD currently have a lot of land to build for their own use if they so please.

Also other broadcasters unlike RTE to output in HD is great but the question of affordability comes up yet again. I will be very happy if TV3, TG4 and UTV Ireland could afford to go on Saorview in HD. Liberty Global or UPC should the first company to address this issue of going HD on Saorview with TG4 and UTVi or ITV Ireland when it is eventually sold off to ITV as TV3's new owners have more money at their disposal and team up with ITV in future in getting this issue fully resolved.

TV3 got an €80m write down from us - the people of Ireland who will have to pay it off.

They were paying much more for analogue transmission for one channel and now crib at paying less than that for HD. Cheapskates.

Reports last weekend that the board of RTÉ has approved the plan to sell a portion of its 32 acre site in Donnybrook. Estate agents CBRE and accountants KPMG advised on the options for the site last year, including selling the entire site and moving out of Dublin 4 although unlikely because of the amount of infrastructure there.

They hope to raise at least €50m from the sale to invest in facilities and technology, not to mention the outstanding debt upgrading the network for DTT. They would have to sell than 20% of the site at between €5m and €6m to raise that amount.

This is what the NewEra report into RTÉ said about the Donnybrook site
    Use of the Donnybrook site is not optimal (20% is undeveloped, 21% comprises of car spaces and available office accommodation is more than is required due to reduction in staff numbers). Options concerning the site should be developed with robust analysis of costs and benefits (all options should be considered from no sale of the site, partial sale of the site, full sale/land swap).

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/Business/article1662476.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2016_01_30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

The site should be returned to the state and social housing built on it , then we might have a real republic .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The state currently could provide land for social house from many other arms of the state. In particular NAMA.

They could decide to sell the land, and build a new National Studio which might create meaningful employment in the film and TV industry, or just develop D4 for a National Studio.

Perhaps in a real republic the Banks might give something back! But this isn't the politics or economics form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Why does RTE even have to be in Dublin?
    They may need to maintain a studio say for interviewing international guests on chat shows similar to the way they have a Cork studio.
    Find a cheap piece of land anywhere in the country and build HQ there

This from the Sunday Times
    RTÉ screening for estate agents

RTÉ has invited tenders from estate agents interested in managing its property assets, as the state broadcaster prepares to sell 10 acres of land at its Montrose campus in Donnybrook, Dublin.

Sources believe RTÉ will move quickly with a land sale, potentially launching the process later this year or early in 2017. A spokesman for RTÉ said it expected to appoint the successful agent in October. RTÉ has said the proceeds of the sale will fund capital investment.

The tender was published July 18th - https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders/ViewNotice/183043
    Short description

RTÉ and its subsidiaries manage a large number of sites from studio locations to mountain top transmission sites. RTÉ are looking to renew its property and real estate management and consultancy services. RTÉ are seeking companies who can assist RTÉ managing its portfolio of sites including site valuation, planning permission support, site purchasing services, site leasing consultancy services and sales support.

This from the Ministerial Briefing document from last April
    RTÉ Working Group

- On foot of the review by NewERA, RTÉ established a working group which is undertaking analysis of the options available regarding the use of its assets, including the Montrose site. Following an analysis of possible scenarios, preliminary options have been considered by the Board. A Report on this process will be submitted to the Minister by the RTÉ Board.

- It is expected that any funds realised as a result of leveraging the company’s assets would be used for critical capital investment purposes to enable the company to achieve its transition to a fully digital public service media organisation.

Independent External Reviews

In 2014, RTÉ was the subject of an efficiency review conducted by NewERA and broadcasting advertisement market review conducted by Indecon.

The NewERA review recommended a review of RTÉ’s assets including the Montrose site. RTÉ established a working group on this matter and presented to the RTÉ Board in June and November 2015. While no final decisions have been made, the RTÉ Board has decided in principle that RTÉ should prepare to dispose of up to 10 acres of underutilised land at the Donnybrook end of the site in 2016/2017. In line with the recommendations of the NewERA review, it is expected that any funds realised as a result of leveraging the company’s assets would be used for capital investment purposes.

A final report is expected from RTÉ of the actions taken on foot of these reviews in due course, likely Q3 2016.

From the Irish Examiner last June
    RTÉ last night said no final decision had been made involving “underutilised portions” of the site, but the broadcaster intends to remain at the campus.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/rte-may-sell-10-acres-of-montrose-campus-403162.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DamnLeech

RTÉ should move to the dump for all their worth.
    TG4 should take over their studio plus keep their other one in the west

According to the quotes above the proceeds of the sale will fund capital investment.
    Proposals for the sale of some of RTÉ’s lands at Donnybrook have been developed and are under consideration by the board.

“A successful sale of a portion of the site could release much-needed resources for capital investment and to underpin the organisation’s multimedia work,” said RTÉ chairwoman Moya Doherty.

An upgrade of RTÉ’s transmission network is understood to be one of the planned projects. The broadcaster is also planning to launch Saorview Connect, the latest iteration of the Saorview television platform, in partnership with UK company Freesat later this year.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/rt%C3%A9-reports-deficit-of-2-8-million-for-2015-1.2727280

The transmission network upgrade is probably related to the release of the 700 MHz band which will have a recommended release date of mid 2020.

As well as the capital investment projects RTÉ already has a large debt hanging over them, €50.6m in bank borrowings at the end of 2015, with a further €8m available and undrawn at the end of the year.

In a planning application (3094/16) to Dublin City Council during the summer RTÉ submitted its "indicative" masterplan for the campus which will replace its original Project 2025 plan (4057/09).

The planning application is for a new public entrance from the Stillorgan Rd to the RTÉ campus, the closure of the existing Nutley Lane entrance and demolition of the crèche. The new access is required so that part of the site can be made available for new development with continued access to the RTÉ campus. The strategic masterplan wasn't the subject of the planning application but submitted to support the application.

The National Transport Authority has submitted concerns relating to the new junction on the Stillorgan Road. RTÉ is now requested to submit further information addressing the concerns of both the Environment and Transportation Department and the NTA.

Planning Supporting Statement
    Strategic Masterplan
    Planners Report

http://www.independent.ie/business/rte-masterplan-500-new-homes-in-d4-35057375.html
    http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/rt-relocate-creche-used-employees-8899785
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/transport-chiefs-take-on-rte-over-revamp-plan-fc8c55mqd

Dublin City Council debate last Mon about the possible use of RTÉ land for affordable or social housing
    About this time last year, Green Party Leader Eamon Ryan put out a statement calling for some of RTÉ’s land to be given over for housing. The idea hasn’t died.

At Monday’s monthly meeting of the full Dublin City Council, councillors debated and voted on a motion put forward by Sinn Fein’s Chris Andrews to call again on the state broadcaster to give up some of its land for “modular housing”.

“It’s beyond me why these big organisations, these big agencies, cannot, I suppose, think outside the box,” said Andrews.

Andrews said it was an attempt to ensure that “rapid-build housing” for homeless families is spread across Dublin, and not just put into marginalised areas. “There’s no reason why it shouldn’t be delivered in Donnybrook and wherever,” he said.

People Before Profit Councillor John Lyons tabled an amendment to change Andrews’ motion so that it wasn’t just about putting “modular housing” or “rapid-build housing” on RTÉ land, but about putting any kind of social housing there. That passed.

Most councillors backed the amended motion. “There is a significant amount of state-owned land here that should be used for (…) mixed-use development,” said Green Party Councillor Claire Byrne.

Labour Party’s Dermot Lacey said he’d go further, given that it looks as if RTÉ might be looking at developing its lands. “We should use our powers in relation to the development plan in ensuring that there is a far higher quota on those lands of social and affordable housing,” he said.

Other institutions, such as the Catholic Church, have a lot of land, too, said independent Councillor Christy Burke.

Workers’ Party Councillor Éilis Ryan said she suspected that RTÉ’s initial response to the proposed motion might be to suggest that the council first use its own land for affordable or social housing. “I think their criticisms would be fair,” she said.

At the moment, there’s no indication that any RTÉ land is on offer to Dublin City Council, said Deputy Chief Executive Brendan Kenny. “Certainly, we would welcome such an offer,” he said.

He noted that RTÉ seems to be considering redeveloping its site in Donnybrook, and that, if it does, the council would as usual be entitled to 10 percent of any housing built.

The motion, with the amendment, passed.

http://www.dublininquirer.com/2016/10/04/council-briefs-rte-lands-grass-cutting/

The Cush wrote: »

Front page story in the Daily Mail today, RTÉ expect to award the contract to the successful tenderer to manage their property assets by the end of October. A number of companies have applied for the contract to replace CBRE Ireland.

The contracted company's first major project will be to dispose of 10 acres of land at the RTÉ Campus which could sell for between €4m and €6m an acre.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    In a planning application (3094/16) to Dublin City Council during the summer RTÉ submitted its "indicative" masterplan for the campus which will replace its original Project 2025 plan (4057/09).

The planning application is for a new public entrance from the Stillorgan Rd to the RTÉ campus, the closure of the existing Nutley Lane entrance and demolition of the crèche. The new access is required so that part of the site can be made available for new development with continued access to the RTÉ campus. The strategic masterplan wasn't the subject of the planning application but submitted to support the application.

The National Transport Authority has submitted concerns relating to the new junction on the Stillorgan Road. RTÉ is now requested to submit further information addressing the concerns of both the Environment and Transportation Department and the NTA.

Planning Supporting Statement
    Strategic Masterplan
    Planners Report

Additional information was submitted in Sept in support of its planning application for the new access junction on the Stillorgan Rd.

http://www.dublincity.ie/AniteIMWebSearch/ExternalEntryPoint.aspx?SEARCH_TYPE=1&DOC_CLASS_CODE=PL&folder1_ref=3094/16

Cover Letter
    RTE Outline Development Masterplan

Advertisement