Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spindle moulder

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Is there anything you don't know oh wise one?

kadman wrote: »
    Yes,
    Reason being some of the very early ring fences of eons ago,
    were basically a U shaped [eace of metal, with a leg off one of the
    sides of the U, and attached down to the table.

Outdated fence now, although you do come across them, but shouldn,t use them.
    Another outdated thing of the past, is a twin shaft spindle. With shafts rotating in opposite directions, specifically used for shaped profile work as well.
    One shaft was the infeed of a curved profile...........halfway through, switch over to the other shaft, and do the infeed end of that piece. And do another 500 of them after that one.

Get your head around that one.
    Cutter blocks were also opposite hand, and needed to be fitted to the correct shaft.So no room for error here. And just to make things very interesting, these spindle hands as they were known......were on piece work.

Yes, I seen a video on the 'tube of a twin shaft spindle being used. Not something you'd want to make a mistake on for sure. A guy in work years ago was using the horse shoe fence, fed the workpiece in the wrong direction and lost the tops of three fingers. I think two were found when he was sent to the hospital and the other the next day in shavings

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

woodturner wrote: »
    Yes, I seen a video on the 'tube of a twin shaft spindle being used. Not something you'd want to make a mistake on for sure. A guy in work years ago was using the horse shoe fence, fed the workpiece in the wrong direction and lost the tops of three fingers. I think two were found when he was sent to the hospital and the other the next day in shavings

Know all about that.

And what was the upshot of that event.
    Risk assessment of future similar spindle tasks, proper training in relation to dangerous spindle operations.

No, nothing. The intelligent powers that owned and ran that facility. Removed the fekking machine. You bad machine, bad spindle, you naughty machine, and moved it to the back shed, never to see the light of day again.

Thats realy going to stop future accidents. Its the same mentality as prevalent in the posted vid. Worker is expendable, and any accidents are his own fault.

Dont get me started.

There is no such thing as a bad machine, an inadequately trained operator is more the cause.

woodturner wrote: »
    Is there anything you don't know oh wise one?

Oh...plenty...but I,m not telling:P

Oh...plenty...but I,m not telling:P

Ah go on haha

• Advertisement

They were good machines though. They only needed like 4 discs of sandpaper bent in half to parallel the fences to each other ???????
    It must have taken twice the length of time to set the machine than it did to machine the components.

So sounds like improper ongoing maintainence then. They dont maintain themselves.
    Maintainence department does and fitters.

I know the company you are on about , it had neither. The long running Tullamore based joinery
    out in Cappincur, had a full maintainence department, 3 fitters, and 3 electricians, when they had
    200+ joinery staff, not including office staff. And machines were taken off line for monthly maintainence
    checks.

I dont recall any of that taking place in the said joinery we are discussing. For most joineries, downtime
    means loss of production, they dont like it, so they dont do it. They think bad of stopping a 6 cutter to
    sharpen the blocks.

So sounds like improper ongoing maintainence then. They dont maintain themselves.
    Maintainence department does and fitters.

I know the company you are on about , it had neither. The long running Tullamore based joinery
    out in Cappincur, had a full maintainence department, 3 fitters, and 3 electricians, when they had
    200+ joinery staff, not including office staff. And machines were taken off line for monthly maintainence
    checks.

I dont recall any of that taking place in the said joinery we are discussing. For most joineries, downtime
    means loss of production, they dont like it, so they dont do it. They think bad of stopping a 6 cutter to
    sharpen the blocks.

No it never took place. Ever

I tried to suggest about proper training for spindle operators and any new staff that did not
    have the relevent experience for the required scope of works.

I was told that this particular joinery had a 100 year history, and basically told me to stick to
    the job I was employed for, which was cad/production/ material take off. And that they didn,t need
    any of my input in that area.

I even still have the training specs some where here.

I dont think they even had a health and safety officer , Did They ???
    and 100,s of staff

There you go...

I tried to suggest about proper training for spindle operators and any new staff that did not
    have the relevent experience for the required scope of works.

I was told that this particular joinery had a 100 year history, and basically told me to stick to
    the job I was employed for, which was cad/production/ material take off. And that they didn,t need
    any of my input in that area.

I even still have the training specs some where here.

I dont think they even had a health and safety officer , Did They ???
    and 100,s of staff

There you go...

No they didn't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement