Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Summerhill Dublin 1

• 19-09-2015 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm currently looking for accomodation in dublin with 2 friends. We are all starting work in the IFSC. We viewed a lovely apartment in summerhill which is so close to work but reaction from people hasn't been good. I'm just looking for any advise from people who know the area or live in it. And would be be suitable for 3 girls walking to/ from work.
    Thanks in advance! Grinning face with

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I'm currently looking for accomodation in dublin with 2 friends. We are all starting work in the IFSC. We viewed a lovely apartment in summerhill which is so close to work but reaction from people hasn't been good. I'm just looking for any advise from people who know the area or live in it. And would be be suitable for 3 girls walking to/ from work.
    Thanks in advance! Grinning face with

Kip of an area. Not safe. Not a place to walk around at any time of day or night.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Kip of an area. Not safe. Not a place to walk around at any time of day or night.

It's a kip alright, but as safe to walk around as many the better looking area of the city.

There's anti-social activity, drug dealing, and there used to be a much greater joy-riding problem, but it's generally more ugly than actually dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭dubrov

It is perfectly safe during the day. I've walked through it plenty of times.

It might be a bit dodgy at night for a girl by themselves though.

4ensic15 wrote:

I'd be interested to know if you've ever walked through it?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

I wouldn't to be honest. I grew up in the north strand and have friends who's parents still live in the area. Summer hill might not be as rough as it was years ago but I'd worry about the kind of neighbours you might have. I know that's a worry in many apartment blocks but in an area of high unemployment most residents will be receiving rent allowance and sometimes, not always I know but most times they'll care less about the upkeep of the apartment and area than rent paying residents. Trying to stay as PC as possible but seriously summer hill and most of the surrounding area isn't great. Look into Marino, drumcondra, artane or clontarf and maybe raheny. They're all nice enough and are on public transport routes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

dubrov wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know if you've ever walked through it?

Yes, I have. And was threatened with having my heart kicked out among other things. I definitively wouldn't walk there wearing a skirt.

4ensic15 wrote:
    Yes, I have. And was threatened with having my heart kicked out among other things. I definitively wouldn't walk there wearing a skirt.

Fair enough. I've walked through it over a hundred times during the day and never seen any trouble. I rarely ever even see people hanging around anymore. I've always stuck to Summerhill road though and never gone into the estates.

I've always found it much rougher on Amiens street between connolly and the five lamps. Loads more hanging around. Still fine during the day though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

4ensic15 wrote: »

It's absolutely fine during the day. Only walked through it on the odd occasion after midnight, so can't really comment about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mayolass2015

Thank you for all your responses. We are just so undecided because of how close it is to town. Ya I heard that it used to be a lot worse and that if you keep yourself to yourself you'll get on fine. Hard to know as some people tell us then that if you were to walk from lets say Drumcondra you're passing by the door.
    It's not really the upkeep of the apartment complex itself I would be worried about, not to sound snobby but the estate agents were looking for all sorts of references so it would be kept to "professionals only". It would just be walking to/from work with the fear of something happening

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

Thank you for all your responses. We are just so undecided because of how close it is to town. Ya I heard that it used to be a lot worse and that if you keep yourself to yourself you'll get on fine. Hard to know as some people tell us then that if you were to walk from lets say Drumcondra you're passing by the door.
    It's not really the upkeep of the apartment complex itself I would be worried about, not to sound snobby but the estate agents were looking for all sorts of references so it would be kept to "professionals only". It would just be walking to/from work with the fear of something happening

I am sure the apartment is amazing but it's about location. I would avoid the area completely. I use to work in the area could not leave the car anywhere close. One time after parking up for 5 min went back to get something and some scum was checking all the car doors to see if they where open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 mayolass2015

iainBB wrote: »
    I am sure the apartment is amazing but it's about location. I would avoid the area completely. I use to work in the area could not leave the car anywhere close. One time after parking up for 5 min went back to get something and some scum was checking all the car doors to see if they where open.

I've heard too many stories like this so I think it's time to bow out of the area. Look towards Drumcondra area I think.
    Thanks everyone for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I've heard too many stories like this so I think it's time to bow out of the area. Look towards Drumcondra area I think.

I used to lived around the corner for about 4 years, I (girl) never had any issues walking home alone at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

Drumcondra is a nice spot, and not too far from where you'll be working (20/25 minute walk if you end up at the canal end). There's also a Dublin Bike station on NCR/Dorset street if you're running late (although they're usually all gone by 8am). Keep in mind, you'll be walking near enough past Summerhill both in and back, but as I was saying, I've never had any hassle myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

ITS a working class area ,
    should be safe to live there ,
    if you cycled to work .
    use common sense , don,t walk around with an iphone ,after 6pm.
    or with a handbag with lots of cash in it .
    i know people who live there ,who drive to work .
    women who never had any hassle .
    cycle or take the bus to work .
    or look at a diiferent area .
    eg batchelors walk apartments , places on the quays .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭cson

Summerhill is grand for starting off; if you've found a good apartment then its a nice mix of being close to town and being affordable. I've lived close to the area for 4+ years at this stage and yeah, it's rough around the edges but if you're smart and sensible then there's no reason to fear the area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭My Darling Clementine

It's no rougher than most other parts of the inner city ie been blown out of proportion

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

It wouldnt be for me, a lot of people walking around drinking cans etc. I just know I would feel intimidated living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Always be wary of any area where people tell you "ah sure, it's grand, you just have to be careful/have your wits about you".

Even if nothing actually happens, do you really want to live somewhere where you're constantly worried about what might happen? Life's too short to live like that. There are plenty of unambiguously safer areas within a reasonable distance of the IFSC. Maybe you'll have to pay a bit more, but what price can you put on peace of mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

No worse/better then any rest of the city I would be more afraid of running into trouble walking down O'Connell Street after 9 or walking most side streets round Temple Bar.
    Like any place just keep wits about you and should be safe enough.
    Drumcondra is nice area lived there last 15 years . :) (ofen walked through Summerhill very late coming home from nites out)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭My Darling Clementine

Phibsboro/Drumcondra/Dorset Street all decent places to live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 midiverbII

You've probably made up you mind but for what it's worth I've lived in Summer Hill ( Near NCR ) for the last 2 years. The area is grand, very quite a night time & very handy if you work in the city center:

A few people have mentioned "you just have to be careful/have your wits about you" but is this not true for every part of the city after dark ?

It's also worth noting that even if you do end up renting in Drumconda, Fairview, Mario, Phibsborough you will be pretty much walking through Summer Hill ( or very close ) to get to the IFSC.

It's not very pretty & the whole north inner city has a bad reputation ( hence why your money goes further) but you wouldn't necessarily be safer in any of the other places mentioned.

Hope that helps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭Mr Robot

edit

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

Summerhill is a bit run down and some streets very littered so looks worse than it is (local residents are trying to get the council to take action on this). Only time I ever felt threatened in Dublin was being followed walking down Dartmouth Road at midnight - so even D6 has its moments. I would agree that north of Summerhill along NCR is probably better than the streets on the south side, certainly less littered. Plenty of young professionals starting to move in because of the price. Very cheap (comparatively) for so close to city.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Tommka

I know, it is an old topic, but may I ask anyone's opinion about the North Circular Road in Dublin 1? We just rented an apartment there, and will moving in like in 2 weeks... Is it safe to walk home at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

In my opinion, all these areas have gotten much worse since lock down. I would not walk around summer hill at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CamelArtist

Will be moving in with a female friend at Ballybough road D3, just next to summerhill parade bridge. Lived in Rialto D8 till now for 9 months. May God help us. The housing crisis is so bad that I had no choice but to move, but this area looks worse than Rialto.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

It's not nearly as bad as it sometimes looks, I live fairly close by in Fairview and pass through Ballybough at all times of day or night. It can be edgy but there are many good people living around you - the vast majority in fact. You'll be fine. Check out the Mud Island Community Garden nearby, a great place to get involved and meet the local community.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I agree with above poster, it is not a bad area, it used to be many years ago but it is not now.

Living the life

• Advertisement

I had a walk yesterday from Ballybough D3 to Parnell during the day. It wasn't bad,not sure about the night. Thanks so much though.

Advertisement