Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion, Part Trois

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,158 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

volchitsa wrote: »
    He doesn't make it up though. Presumably it's actual Catholic doctrine. It's sure that some of them want to avoid calling attention to their doctrine, but I think Bishop Kevin does the rest of us a favour by being a bit more upfront than some of the mental reservationists.

Oh absolutely, i completely agree. It is the ugly side of catholic doctrine that most in the church would rather you diidn't know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I think it's fantastic. The more extremists that show their hand, the better IMO.
    Shows up the pretence of moderation from the more media savvy ones for what it really is - a pretence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,545 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Given how Bishop Kevin's address to the conference included a reference to contraceptives giving women a freedom and how it also meant they missed out on refusing unwanted sex, I'm waiting for this evening's Drive-Time news programme. The Ad for it said that Senator Rónán Mullen will be giving his opinion on how unwanted sex is not always rape. RTE updated the info on Rónán's thoughts, it seems they are based on what Kevin said in his address.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

aloyisious wrote: »
    Given how Bishop Kevin's address to the conference included a reference to contraceptives giving women a freedom and how it also meant they missed out on refusing unwanted sex, I'm waiting for this evening's Drive-Time news programme. The Ad for it said that Senator Rónán Mullen will be giving his opinion on how unwanted sex is not always rape. RTE updated the info on Rónán's thoughts, it seems they are based on what Kevin said in his address.

Caught the latter part of this. It was horrendous. Somehow he reckons he can sneer at twitter for snidey personal swiping, while himself being the worst of the snide swipers. And on twitter, at that. And entirely about his opportunistically responding to another tweet, to and about someone else. But yet he repeatedly tries to play the "doesn't engage with twitter". I guess he's some sort of cafeteria tweeter. A twitterer with mental reservation.

His actual point was ludicrous. A bishop, who keeps saying monstrously reactionary things that no-one agrees with, and keeps being reported in the national press for saying them, is being "silenced". So RM is going to heroically try to shut down the criticism. Makes perfect sense, somehow.

But I find most of his output rather like that, so I guess I'm not quite his "target market".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,943 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

volchitsa wrote: »
    I think it's fantastic. The more extremists that show their hand, the better IMO.
    Shows up the pretence of moderation from the more media savvy ones for what it really is - a pretence.

Which is why I've lost all respect (yes, I used to have some) for Diarmuid Martin - when he's put on the spot on the hard questions he's just the same as the rest of them obviously, but the rest of the time he makes pleasant sounding but meaningless conciliatory noises which some people misinterpret as signs of actual human decency.

He says isn't religious discrimination in schools awful but he could have ended the baptism barrier in his diocese at the stroke of his gold pen - and he refused.

Don't let the sheep's clothing fool you.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,024 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Caught the latter part of this. It was horrendous. Somehow he reckons he can sneer at twitter for snidey personal swiping, while himself being the worst of the snide swipers. And on twitter, at that. And entirely about his opportunistically responding to another tweet, to and about someone else. But yet he repeatedly tries to play the "doesn't engage with twitter". I guess he's some sort of cafeteria tweeter. A twitterer with mental reservation.

His actual point was ludicrous. A bishop, who keeps saying monstrously reactionary things that no-one agrees with, and keeps being reported in the national press for saying them, is being "silenced". So RM is going to heroically try to shut down the criticism. Makes perfect sense, somehow.

But I find most of his output rather like that, so I guess I'm not quite his "target market".

Don't normally find myself weighing in on behalf of Senator Mullen, but I wonder if the use of the phrase "make it stop" by a government minister carries an unwontedly sinister and Orwellian ring for someone who I suspect may not be entirely au fait with the patois of today's young people...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Don't normally find myself weighing in on behalf of Senator Mullen, but I wonder if the use of the phrase "make it stop" by a government minister carries an unwontedly sinister and Orwellian ring for someone who I suspect may not be entirely au fait with the patois of today's young people...

No that would be completely OTT. Because it's addressed to the likes of bishops and senators, not to a vulnerable dissident fearing to find the secret police knocking on his door at 5 am some morning.

Suggesting there might be some similarity only feeds into their already overdeveloped victimhood complex.

"Who will rid me of this turbulent prelate?"?

Other segments from yesterday are on RTE's Drivetime podcast but not this one.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

How odd.

• Advertisement

But the whole show is up, that included. It's 1:38:30 in.

Just didn't want to give him the link, perhaps.

The RTE radio player is hopeless, asks me to enable Flash (in this day and age?) and then doesn't work anyway.

Got a download link?

Life ain't always empty.

The RTE radio player is hopeless, asks me to enable Flash (in this day and age?) and then doesn't work anyway.
    I've had many a struggle with it. I know flash has been being "phased out" for a long, long time, but like the Monty Python sketch, it keeps making a recovery from its deathbed.

Make sure you're enabling each separate Flash widget it pops up. For some bizarre reason it uses multiple ones, some of them teeny-tiny and well-hidden in other panels.
    Got a download link?

The podcasts only seem to be per-item, so yer outta luck on Rónán.

Or in luck, depending how you look at it.

Worked fine on my phone (which doesn't have flash installed, go figure)

FFS that guy is such a moaner, disingenuous as all hell too as he gives out about people throwing shade on social media just after he's done the same thing himself. Then claiming to know nothing about the responses to his own tweets as if he's never heard of social media in his life

Hopefully enough NUI graduates will cop on and register and out-vote the Maynooth seminary graduates bloc

Life ain't always empty.

Worked fine on my phone (which doesn't have flash installed, go figure)
    Might be a multi-mode player, using HTML5 or an app or something, on different platforms.
    Hopefully enough NUI graduates will cop on and register and out-vote the Maynooth seminary graduates bloc

Your lips to the UCC, UCD and NUIG selectorate's ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,545 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I found it remarkable that he actually asked those with votes to come out and cast them and wonder what he'll say if they do and he's replaced as a result of the popular vote. He must be aware that he's not everyone's favourite politician.

aloyisious wrote: »
    I found it remarkable that he actually asked those with votes to come out and cast them and wonder what he'll say if they do and he's replaced as a result of the popular vote. He must be aware that he's not everyone's favourite politician.

Sounded more like he was asking "his" voters to continue to turn out for him, rather than for turnout generally to increase. In as far as it's possible to be so reductionistic about his rolling whataboutery.

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Might be a multi-mode player, using HTML5 or an app or something, on different platforms.

Well exactly so there's no excuse for still inflicting Flash on desktop users, when they already have a solution which works perfectly well without it.

From Mullen's tone he sounds like he's running scared of the contemporary electorate* - could just be a tactic to mobilise his base though

* well, the very small subset of the electorate who have an NUI senate vote!

Life ain't always empty.

Well exactly so there's no excuse for still inflicting Flash on desktop users, when they already have a solution which works perfectly well without it.
    As I don't know what the solution on your phone is, can't say if it'd port directly to desktop!

Don't ask me. I've been hearing this "phasing it out" stuff for years, it ebbs and flows in waves. Maybe it'll be like COBOL systems, still stuck in the innards of systems 60y later, because everyone is scared they'll be the person that gets fired if they take the decision to replace it.
    From Mullen's tone he sounds like he's running scared of the contemporary electorate* - could just be a tactic to mobilise his base though

Having gleefully been the majoritarian bully for years when the going was good for that, he's now whining about being a poor oppressed minority. There's obviously a market for this stuff -- and likely, sadly, even a quota.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

FYI- the youtube-dl Python app can download a lot of stuff which is otherwise inaccessible - I'm assuming you're a dab hand at the command line :)

https://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/

• Advertisement

Is that what ClipGrab uses, I wonder. Used to have great success with that but doesn't work at all for a while now and no updates for it in ages.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Is that what ClipGrab uses, I wonder. Used to have great success with that but doesn't work at all for a while now and no updates for it in ages.
    Haven't used clipgrab, so I can't comment. Youtube-dl seems to be maintained regularly though - most recent update was released last Saturday and it manages most of the audio and video stuff which I throw at it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.thejournal.ie/leaflets-making-false-link-between-abortion-and-cancer-on-offer-at-world-meeting-of-families-4196915-Aug2018/

Leaflets making false link between abortion and cancer on offer at World Meeting of Families

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Cabaal wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/leaflets-making-false-link-between-abortion-and-cancer-on-offer-at-world-meeting-of-families-4196915-Aug2018/

Leaflets making false link between abortion and cancer on offer at World Meeting of Families

How are they allowed to get away with this?

Surely they can be reported to a regulatory body and fined for disseminating misleading information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

It is a private meeting. They can do as they please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Eh no, it isnt.

It is a public exhibition open to members of the public. Anyone can go to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,158 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

....... wrote: »
    Eh no, it isnt.

It is a public exhibition open to members of the public. Anyone can go to it.

whether it is private or public doesnt really matter. I can print a pamphlet making any claims i like. there really are no laws to stop me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

whether it is private or public doesnt really matter. I can print a pamphlet making any claims i like. there really are no laws to stop me.

there wouldn't need to be either as people can easily research information themselves these days.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

there wouldn't need to be either as people can easily research information themselves these days.
    Are you arguing that it's ok to make false claims because people can research them to show they are false?

Do you still maintain that your side did not and does not use lies such as that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

King Mob wrote: »
    Are you arguing that it's ok to make false claims because people can research them to show they are false?

i'm not, however i believe that there are only a certain amount of circumstances where laws would be needed on such issues, and they already exist for the issues that would require it. where there are no laws, then there are guidelines where required.
    King Mob wrote: »
    Do you still maintain that your side did not and does not use lies such as that?

yes . i believe the vast majority of the no side did try and get the truth out there to the people.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement