Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Park to take on Caitlyn Jenner

Options
  • 16-09-2015 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

South Park is back for its 19th season and it’s set to be as rude, controversial and brilliant as ever.

Matt Stone and Trey Parker haven’t made an episode since December 2014, which to the politically correct brigade is probably good news but the lads are back and will apparently be tackling the biggest celeb news story in recent history in the very first episode… Caitlyn Jenner.

The animated series has tackled big issues before and nailed it in their delivery. But something tells us the backlash from this episode is going to be massive. And we’re sure they’ll deflect criticism in a typically South Park way.

Entertainment Weekly reported:
    There is a new principal at the helm of South Park Elementary. He forces the boys to confront the damage they’ve done through their history of racism and unconscious bias. It is the most stunning and brave South Park ever”…which seems to be a reference to Kris Jenner’s quote about Caitlyn accepting the Arthur Ashe Courage Award at the July ESPYS Awards. Jenner called Caitlyn’s speech “amazing and very brave.

For the record, I love South Park. They're brash and controversial but they can make very intelligent TV. They don't discriminate against any one group, everyone is a target. Judaism has got an awful time from the show yet Matt and Trey themselves are Jewish. Christians, Muslims,Scientologists and Mormons have all been hammered too. They really give two fingers up to the perpetually offended and I for one can't wait to check this new season out, starting tonight. What are your own thoughts on the show and the type of humour it sends out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Really looking forward to this episode anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

All I'll can be sure of is that the majority of people up in arms about it, regardless of how it's done, won't be fans of the show.
    South Park is pretty much based around being offensive. The very first episode had a giant alien device come out of an 8 year old boy's ass, had another 8 year old boy throw up violently into the face of an 8 year old girl who tried to kiss him
    But as per usual people will ignore the show's history, the context etc, just to have a moan.

On the other hand it might not be a complete piss take but it's South Park so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

havn't seen every episopde of south park, but love the ones i have seen.
    they're irrevant and indiscriminating in who they poke fun at and rightly so.

and anyone who can't see it for what it is is just plain sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Looking forward to this episode, but I doubt they can do anything to top the "Cock Magic" episode last season.

A true masterpiece of comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Anyone who takes south Park seriously is a moron. If you don't like it's brand of humour don't watch it.

But unfortunately this won't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Tombi! wrote: »
    All I'll can be sure of is that the majority of people up in arms about it, regardless of how it's done, won't be fans of the show.
    South Park is pretty much based around being offensive. The very first episode had a giant alien device come out of an 8 year old boy's ass, had another 8 year old boy throw up violently into the face of an 8 year old girl who tried to kiss him
    But as per usual people will ignore the show's history, the context etc, just to have a moan.

On the other hand it might not be a complete piss take but it's South Park so :pac:

That's the thing, as offensive as South Park usually is, it can also provide a brilliant satirical take on events/organisations/people that should never be dismissed just because of the type of show it is, or because they choose the offensive/crude way of making a salient point.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I agree that the first episodes were pretty much trash but that was way back in 1998. It's one of the few shows that got better with time as opposed to having a decline in quality. Their take on the Occupy movement was pretty good and they deal with real stuff like immigration too, even if they out their own whacky spin on it. It still has silly and stupid moments but for the most part they're clever shows. They offend everyone equally too I've found. Whites, blacks, bigots, religious groups, rich people, poor people. Everyone. I just wonder will there be crusaders trying to shut them down after this one?

It's very badly drawn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I don't know which I find more perplexing.

The public's obsession with Caitlyn Jenner or the public's obsession with his step daughter's arse.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The public's obsession with Caitlyn Jenner or the public's obsession with his step daughter's arse.

I suspect South Park will be taking the piss out of these type of people as much as Jenner herself.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭smoking_kills

Leave kanye out of this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

I dont find south park offensive though. I think it points out how people can be offensive and oblivious to it and hypocritical.

When cartmen makes digs at kyle for being jewish, your not laughing at jews, your laughing at cartmens obsurd ignorance. You love him though too because he's so stupid, smart and manipulitive but you still know his views are wrong. Thats why its not offensive.

Or a charachter like tokenblack, your laughing at the fact that the show is pointing out the ignorance of other shows who clearly do cast in this way.

thats why i think most of the humour in south park works.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

think those episodes might be online already ... they did one where cartman does the whole transgender thing so he can have his own luxury private toilet.

It wasnt that funny or smart. Passable.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

South Park is genius. I used to love jamming on an episode and turning my brain off.
    A particular favorite of mine is Vote Or Die. A massive campaign in the US to get young people to vote, but SP took the literal meaning of the catchphrase and used it perfectly.

If someone watches South Park and gets offended by it, do they sit through just the first 5 minutes or watch a full episode?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Hands down the best TV show ever. Everybody is lampooned. And to an equal opportunity racist ( black white yellow brown, purple indigo ) like myself it's heaven :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

"His"? How dare you, that is so offensive you big racist bigot misogynistic horrible piece of scum. I'm so offended, more than ever in my life, I can't handle the level of offence.

"it" was the word you were looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    If someone watches South Park and gets offended by it, do they sit through just the first 5 minutes or watch a full episode?

My girlfriend was one of those people who didn't find it funny and just found it stupid because she'd watch about 4 minutes of an episode I'd been watching.

Since she's sat down and watched the episodes with me in full, with full context she's a convert, loves the show. Finds Butters the most unlucky and also adorable character ever. It's always a proud moment when she ends a story with "like that episode in South Park".

Looking forward to it coming back. I thought last season was excellent. I wonder if they'll continue with the continuity.

Randy: "You spent $11,000 dollars on a mobile game, do you know how many songs I'll have to write to pay that back"
    Stan: "One..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

South Park has the balls to once again lampoon whatever is popular on the E! channel. So brave :rolleyes:

FWIW I like South Park, but have gotten sick of every new episode being them taking off what ever that month's hot topic is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

It's South Park, they will take the piss out of anything. Anyone who gets offended isn't the audience for South Park. They have already done transgender and transracial in an episode before. Mr garrison becomes Mrs garrison! Kyle becomes black and randy becomes a dolphin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Nokotan wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll continue with the continuity.

I too am curious if they'll do something similar this season.
    It was refreshing last year to see it :)

Am I the only one wondering if Jenner will be Randy Marsh in a wig again? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Love it. Huge respect. Remember Mr Garrisons sex change "Have you seen my penis":D

South Park is to TV what Charlie Hebdo is to print. They can be seen as being offensive, but there's biting satire there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 436 ✭✭Old Jakey

Family Guy has been pretty offensive to transsexuals, surprised that was allowed.

I was always a little surprised that the Inbetweeners was so popular given all the gay jokes, didn't think it would allowed in today's ultra-pc world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Leave kanye out of this...

Imma just say this... beyonce deserved rear of the year, not Taylor Swift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Old Jakey wrote: »
    Family Guy has been pretty offensive to transsexuals, surprised that was allowed.

I was always a little surprised that the Inbetweeners was so popular given all the gay jokes, didn't think it would allowed in today's ultra-pc world.

As a gay man- why I didn't find inbetweeners or South Park's gay jokes offensive, as:-

1. It was never thinly veiled attacks on gay people
    2. The attacks were across the board not just directed at gay people (or transexual- who aren't identified as gay)
    3. It was juvenile humour with a satire of society behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

FWIW I like South Park, but have gotten sick of every new episode being them taking off what ever that month's hot topic is.

Thats what being topical means, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It's very badly drawn...

They know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 436 ✭✭Old Jakey

efb wrote: »
    As a gay man- why I didn't find inbetweeners or South Park's gay jokes offensive, as:-

1. It was never thinly veiled attacks on gay people
    2. The attacks were across the board not just directed at gay people (or transexual- who aren't identified as gay)
    3. It was juvenile humour with a satire of society behind it.

That's cool but I am surprised the ultra right on crowd didn't kick up a fuss (and no blaming gays btw, it usually the straight 'allies' who think they have to protect gay people).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

There are three schools of Arse Obsession - those who find it attractive, those who are amazed and appalled at its size, and those who are amazed and appalled at those who find it attractive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Omackeral wrote: »
    Judaism has got an awful time from the show yet Matt and Trey themselves are Jewish.

I'm pretty sure only one of them (Matt Stone who Kyle was originally based on) is Jewish. Trey Parker was raised as a Catholic, as is Stan Marsh in the show.

When is the new show on over here? Is it this weekend or the one after?

Advertisement