Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry cyclists, there's no room for you anymore

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Zyzz wrote: »
    Cyclists are legally obliged to obey all speed limits, ride in the cycle lanes, and wear a helmet and a high vis vest, it's the law.

With the way all these fools behave, it's a disgrace that there have been no arrests for years for the offence of Furious Riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

sullivlo wrote: »
    The only thing on that list that cyclists are legally obliged to do is follow the speed limits. Cycle lanes / helmets / high vis are not the law.

Speed limits do not apply to pedal cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

whupdedo wrote: »
    Cyclists must be a little bit retarded , all it takes to get them to started is a silly opening post in a silly thread , surely you'd think by now they would be sick of taking the bait , the op must be laughing like a clown lookin at this ****e

It's all the anti cyclists that look stupid on these threads though.
    Are we reading the same thread?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

With the way all these fools behave, it's a disgrace that there have been no arrests for years for the offence of Furious Riding.
    It's "wanton or furious driving" and required bodily harm to be inflicted, but that's no longer an offence in Ireland (it is in the UK though)....

Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Guilty :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

whupdedo wrote: »
    Cyclists must be a little bit retarded , all it takes to get them to started is a silly opening post in a silly thread , surely you'd think by now they would be sick of taking the bait , the op must be laughing like a clown lookin at this ****e

I ain't laughing. After a daily routine of dodging and weaving in a car trying to get around cyclists in the city centre, it's left me paralysed with exhaustion. It's about time someone told the truth about this. Irish roads are not wide enough to accommodate cyclists, especially in the city centre

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I ain't laughing. After a daily routine of dodging and weaving in a car trying to get around cyclists in the city centre, it's left me paralysed with exhaustion. It's about time someone told the truth about this. Irish roads are not wide enough to accommodate cyclists, especially in the city centre

Absolutely right. Far, far narrower than Dutch roads :rolleyes:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Simple solution - get a bus, or a bike if you can't cope .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

If you are dodging and weaving in Dublin in a car, you are a far greater hazard than any blind reckless cyclist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Why are motorists such whining maggots?

:confused:

booooring! wrote: »
    Are cyclists aloud to weave in and out of cars? It's very fustrating on the quays in the morning. Also if you are in a car and turning left and there us a cyclist going straight on behind you, do you let them off?

I bloody hate cyclists.

If you don't know this, you shouldn't be allowed on the road in any vehicle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

Tony EH wrote: »
    If you don't know this, you shouldn't be allowed on the road in any vehicle.

It would seem a lot of people are unaware of SI 332 of 2012, should be a mandatory retest whenever there are changes to legislation

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2012/si/332/made/en/print
    “(5)(a) A driver (other than a pedal cyclist) may only overtake on the left—

(i) where the driver of the vehicle about to be overtaken has signalled an intention to turn to the right and the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after overtaking, to go straight ahead or turn to the left,

(ii) where the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after overtaking, to turn to the left at the next road junction and has signalled this intention, or

(iii) in slow-moving traffic, when vehicles in the traffic lane on the driver’s right are moving more slowly than the overtaking vehicle,

(b) A pedal cyclist may overtake on the left where vehicles to the pedal cyclist’s right are stationary or are moving more slowly than the overtaking pedal cycle, except where the vehicle to be overtaken—

(i) has signalled an intention to turn to the left and there is a reasonable expectation that the vehicle in which the driver has signalled an intention to turn to the left will execute a movement to the left before the cycle overtakes the vehicle,

(ii) is stationary for the purposes of permitting a passenger or passengers to alight or board the vehicle, or

(iii) is stationary for the purposes of loading or unloading.”,

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

roverrules wrote: »
    It would seem a lot of people are unaware of SI 332 of 2012, should be a mandatory retest whenever there are changes to legislation

Huh. Was not aware of that. I had thought that the rule was to check your mirror and only turn left when safe to do so.
    Learn something new every day!

roverrules wrote: »

The point still stands.

If you're in a car and wish to make a left turn that intersects with bike lane, you indicate your intent with a reasonable amount of time before you turn, check your rear view mirrors to see that the area is clear and then make the turn.

There's no conundrum involved.

If you don't understand that, you shouldn't be on the road.

Likewise, if cyclists think they can just ignore cars which have clearly and reasonably signaled their intent to turn, they're in for some quick and possibly painful education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Shep_Dog

Tony EH wrote: »
    The point still stands.

If you're in a car and wish to make a left turn that intersects with bike lane, you indicate your intent with a reasonable amount of time before you turn, check your rear view mirrors to see that the area is clear and then make the turn.

There's no conundrum involved.

If you don't understand that, you shouldn't be on the road.

Likewise, if cyclists think they can just ignore cars which have clearly and reasonably signaled their intent to turn, they're in for some quick and possibly painful education.
    The conundrum is that drivers are not permitted to overtake if to do so would cause inconvenience or affect the safety of anyone. So, overtaking a cyclist in a way that would cause a cyclist to have to slow down or stop is not permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I feel I am stating the obvious here. There are now so many cars in Ireland that it is dangerous for cyclists. Sorry cyclists. There is now no room to accommodate you on Irish roads, so it's time to retire the bike until the cycle lanes are built and roads widened to fit you in. Otherwise, you are taking your life in your hands
    Surely the problem is that there isn't room for all the cars? Obviously, given your analysis, we need to restrict the growth in car numbers until we have built the infrastructure necessary to allow car-owners to use their vehicles without displacing (or threatening the lives of) other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,426 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Zyzz wrote: »
    You need to read it my friend, I'm a lawyer

I really don't care if you're a lawyer, you're factually wrong.

Cyclists are legally obliged to obey all speed limits, ride in the cycle lanes, and wear a helmet and a high vis vest, it's the law.

Cyclists do not have to Wear Helmets/hi-Viz vest or ride in Cycle lanes.

if you think your right please do, show me the legislation that covers such.

ted1 wrote: »

if you think your right please do, show me the legislation that covers such.
    He's a regular in the Cycling forum. He knows he's wrong. He was being facetious - I suspect he's not even a lawyer .....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Can we all stop making reasoned and informed points and get back to discussing how we're going to kill all the cyclists?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

cyclists bring 2 really good things to the equation in that there is less cars on the road and they slow cars down in urban areas, so for me, there is room for loads more.

But cycling on footpaths is disgusting ignorant and arrogant behaviour, the elderly and people with buggies/young kids should not have to be dodging bicycles. Equally pedestrians should stay out of cycle lanes.
    On the roads, the cycle lanes in this country are rubbish, is where bicycles belong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I hope bicycles are banned. They're a ****ing plague.

Saipanne wrote: »
    I hope bicycles are banned. They're a ****ing plague.

And we're back!

Sits back, opens popcorn, grins, waits…

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

When some of the reflectors on the bicycles catch the reflection of the sun from an orbiting satilliete which is at an angle of 68.5646 degrees perpendicular to pluto, this can cause a mild irritation to a motorist.

I reckon we should ban bicycles for this purpose only.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

If 60 people got out of their cars and onto a bus, it would clear a bit of space too.

Why do people want to drive cars anyway? Buying the car, buying the petrol/diesel, oil, spare parts, toys for inside it - not a cent worth of it is manufactured in Ireland. They're just sending money out foreign, when it could be spent in Ireland, on Irish-made goods.

And then after a lifetime of driving they'll be clogging up the hospitals with their clogged arteries and diabetes, caused by lack of exercise. What's the point? Get out of your little wheeled armchair prison.

So cycling is the the only form of exercise there is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 RockyMills

If 60 people got out of their cars and onto a bus, it would clear a bit of space too.

Why do people want to drive cars anyway? Buying the car, buying the petrol/diesel, oil, spare parts, toys for inside it - not a cent worth of it is manufactured in Ireland. They're just sending money out foreign, when it could be spent in Ireland, on Irish-made goods.

And then after a lifetime of driving they'll be clogging up the hospitals with their clogged arteries and diabetes, caused by lack of exercise. What's the point? Get out of your little wheeled armchair prison.

Yes but you don't realise how good it feels when, in the pouring rain, I drive through a big puddle when passing a cyclist in my German built automobile splashing the idiot cyclist from head to toe using my very large Italian made tyres.

Casey78 wrote: »
    So cycling is the the only form of exercise there is?

No indeed, but motorists who sit in an armchair in a car for the 60+ minutes per day they're travelling could be exercising while travelling.

I'm not including people who have long commutes - an unfortunate result of our lack of city and town planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Can we all stop making reasoned and informed points and get back to discussing how we're going to kill all the cyclists?

Thanks

Vehicle-mounted .50-cal, obviously. Whips 'em right off the saddle. :D
    No indeed, but motorists who sit in an armchair in a car for the 60+ minutes per day they're travelling could be exercising while travelling.

I'm not including people who have long commutes - an unfortunate result of our lack of city and town planning.

My own commute is only about fifteen minutes, but it is rather difficult to masturbate like a drugged gibbon while cycling a pedalling-bicycle. Damn them MILFs on the school-run!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Always amused at the self-loathing hyprocritical gobshites who have no doubt cycled themselves at some stage, expressing their utter hatred of their own family & friends & children who still cycle.

Bunch of pathetic cunts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

I enjoy my daily commute to work on my bike...and I don't give a flying **** whatever the morons in their cars think...
    Just my two cents.....

Advertisement