Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 hailed as most interesting band around

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

S Club 7 - now theres an interesting band

No no, Vengaboys all the way! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have to say I agree with him, sure who would be more interesting.
    Maybe Slayer, Omnia, or The Pogues?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Not sure how to define a band as being 'interesting'. It's not connected to being -good- so..

Er..well, Oasis was mildly interesting, not least how they managed to produce albums with the Gallagher internecine rivalry. Boyzone and Spice Girls were interesting in how they managed to whip up such a huge frenzy of a following - that One Direction lot is probably the biggest one I've seen since, although I'm fortunately in the wrong age group for it now. Watercress were interestingly demented. Kiss had a fairly unique shtick at the time (not saying others haven't done it).

I note looking back at it that most of them are now defunct. Ok, currently interesting bands..

Uhm..

Well, first I need some current bands, I guess...most of the big names seem to be individuals now, bar 1D. And aren't they defunct now too? Radiohead, Foo Fighters, Muse...?

Fine, in the absence of anything else, U2 (who have been a legit phenomenon in their time) can have the dubious accolade of 'most interesting', I guess. Bugger knows if it's a good thing or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Most interesting band of the last 10 years has been Arcade Fire -U2 in fact used their song Wake Up to open shows on their Vertigo tour and Bono appeared in a recent promo video for their new album. U2 are big but they haven't been all that interesting in quite a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Pink Lemons

RobertKK wrote: »
    Coldplay and One Direction can sell their albums, U2 had to give their album away and Apple had to bring in a feature so people could remove the ear ache.

All very true points, but none of the groups are in the least bit interesting!

• Advertisement

Very very interesting
    Nah, most interesting band around is Fleetwood Mac. Their history is amazing, basically a musical soap opera where all the characters are fuelled by cocaine!

Nah, most interesting band around is Fleetwood Mac. Their history is amazing, basically a musical soap opera where all the characters are fuelled by cocaine!

What is remarkable was that amidst all the drug fuelled orgies, they churned out an album as boring as Rumours.

As for U2 being interesting, the one thing I would say they are not is interesting. Here is a band that didn't do the wild sex parties like Gene Simmonds or groupies having sex in a tank with sharks like Led Zep, not even Marianne Faithfull and that chocolate bar like the Rolling Stones.

No. They once sued someone over a hat ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

7/10

Try harder, OP.

Very very interesting
    What is remarkable was that amidst all the drug fuelled orgies, they churned out an album as boring as Rumours.

Ah here! Rumours is a classic. :eek:

I do prefer Tusk though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,522 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

The only thing boring about Rumours is anything Christine sang. Everything else is timeless.

Sure, even Mick on the cover had the hipster look 35 years before it existed.

• Advertisement

The only thing boring about Rumours is anything Christine sang. Everything else is timeless.

Sure, even Mick on the cover had the hipster look 35 years before it existed.

My opinion on Rumours is coloured by the fact that I had an older sister who fired it on the record player just about every bloody day for about 3 years in the late 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

What is remarkable was that amidst all the drug fuelled orgies, they churned out an album as boring as Rumours

True, especially when you hear some of their live performances from the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Eh?

Can't see any relevant definition there.....

Anyway, even if it literally is correct, "X hailed as Y" is usually someone else doing the hailing, not the subject themselves.

"U2 claims to be most interesting band around" would be a more apt title, IMO.

Bono's ego getting carried away with itself again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

"Elvis was a hero to most, But he never meant **** to me"
    -Chuck D

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Serjeant Buzfuz

Very interesting
    http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2015/0913/727546-bono-reckons-u2-are-the-most-interesting-band/

I have to say I agree with him, sure who would be more interesting. Coldplay? Very Dull. One direction? Good band but dull. I can't think of others right now.

I think watching paint drying may well be more interesting

Advertisement