Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mistaken identity

Options
  • 13-09-2015 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭

I was at an ATM machine yesterday when some bloke came up behind me and thought i was his friend and thought it would be funny to pull a prank and put his fingers/hand into my back and have a few words with me. I haven't a clue what he said as i wearing ear phones but i got the fright of my life thinking he wanted to rob me. He was a nice bloke after that.

So have you ever mistook someone for someone else or have you ever been mistaken for someone else.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Was in cork shopping one day on a trip to visit a friend. Some girl came up behind me at a traffic light (was waiting to cross) and kicked me really hard in the backside. I turned around ready to punch the fcuker that kicked me around, to be met with a bright red face, dropped jaw and profuse apologies because she'd thought I was her best friend :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

A long time ago when I was a teenager my sister came out of a shop dressing room wearing a very slutty top. I said 'no way are you wearing that rag anywhere'

Next thing I heard my sister laughing behind me. I'd called out a complete stranger on her skanky taste in clothes.

I was mortified

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Accidentally kissed my ex girlfriend's twin sister one night....yeah that was a fond memory of the relationship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I've been mistaken for a drug dealer a few times. Turns out there's a guy who looks like me and sells drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I've been mistaken for a drug dealer a few times. Turns out there's a guy who looks like me and sells drugs.

Hah! if we don't buy it, the cops certainly won't.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

I've been mistaken for a famous person twice in my life.

The gas thing is, on both occasions they weren't sure exactly which famous person I was... lol

I just got whispers of "I've seen that guy, he's famous/on TV" haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I've been mistaken for a famous person twice in my life.

The gas thing is, on both occasions they weren't sure exactly which famous person I was... lol

I just got whispers of "I've seen that guy, he's famous/on TV" haha

Crimewatch maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

I was at an ATM machine yesterday when some bloke came up behind me and thought i was his friend and thought it would be funny to pull a prank and put his fingers/hand into my back and have a few words with me. I haven't a clue what he said as i wearing ear phones but i got the fright of my life thinking he wanted to rob me. He was a nice bloke after that.

So have you ever mistook someone for someone else or have you ever been mistaken for someone else.

It's a good thing he didn't mistake you for a relative, otherwise you'd have been shot...! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Was absolutely fucked off my tits in Krystle Nightclub around two years ago and was scoring this incredibly hot brunette. Went to the jacks, when I came back I sat back down, put my arm around the woman and we started wearing the face off eachother again.

Five minutes later, the woman I had actually been scoring got back from the bar with the cocktail she had bought us to share as a surprise. She very slowly and deliberately downed the whole thing in one go while never breaking eye contact with me, threw the empty glass on the ground shattering it to pieces, and stormed off. Mortified, I prepared to try and explain to this other girl I'd never met (who was surely only seconds away from erupting in an entirely justified "you feckin' creep" rage) why I'd randomly started scoring her... When she shrugged, put her arm around me, and carried on scoring me as if nothing had happened. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Couple of years back was up the high st and saw some big old bird, a dead ringer for the mother in law.

I got ready to goose her up the ass. She'd be mad, but not in a law enforcement type of way.

My hand was out and mico seconds away from contact when I saw the mother in law coming towards me, some way off. Went all hot and bright red at what might have been. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Crimewatch maybe?

So...you really are a drug dealer? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Was absolutely fucked off my tits in Krystle Nightclub around two years ago and was scoring this incredibly hot brunette. Went to the jacks, when I came back I sat back down, put my arm around the woman and we started wearing the face off eachother again.

Five minutes later, the woman I had actually been scoring got back from the bar with the cocktail she had bought us to share as a surprise. She very slowly and deliberately downed the whole thing in one go while never breaking eye contact with me, threw the empty glass on the ground shattering it to pieces, and stormed off. Mortified, I prepared to try and explain to this other girl I'd never met (who was surely only seconds away from erupting in an entirely justified "you feckin' creep" rage) why I'd randomly started scoring her... When she shrugged, put her arm around me, and carried on scoring me as if nothing had happened. :D

Needs more "scoring"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I used to have that in secondary school, there were two other girls who looked a bit like me, especially from behind (hair mostly - there was one who had hair a bit lighter than me, but the same shape and floom to it, and even I had to admit that she looked pretty similar). People would come up to be and be offended that I'd "ignored" them that morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I wasn't mistaken for anybody in particular but over 20 years ago, I was in the local nightclub when I was asked up to dance during the slow set (remember them?) by a lad. Okay, I had long hair at the time and was sitting down, but as a 6'5" male I thought It'd be fairly obvious. What makes it even funnier was that I sort of knew the lad (he was a friend of a friend). Also, the following week, he similarly asked my girlfriend to dance, even though I was sitting beside her at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I've a friend who has an identical twin brother, both worked in the same large company but different departments.

My friend would often have people he didn't recognise saying hi to him in the lifts etc, he assumed they were friends of his twin, and would be nice and friendly and civil to them.

On the other hand, when his friends mistook his twin for him, his brother would completely blank them or be really unfriendly to them if he didn't know them. Basically leading random colleagues to believe my friend was a total asshole!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

I've a friend who has an identical twin brother, both worked in the same large company but different departments.

My friend would often have people he didn't recognise saying hi to him in the lifts etc, he assumed they were friends of his twin, and would be nice and friendly and civil to them.

On the other hand, when his friends mistook his twin for him, his brother would completely blank them or be really unfriendly to them if he didn't know them. Basically leading random colleagues to believe my friend was a total asshole!

Wow, did they send out an e-mail or anything to say that they were twins? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Lady gave me a kiss in the pub and asked me why I didn't call her back , then , took a step back looked stunned, apologised while laughing and left.

OH had a very bemused look.

Not sure why she laughed, I happen to think I'm a very good looking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Couple of years ago - about 7am in the morning walking to work along the quays in Dublin. Not a sinner around, and it's dark & this guy runs up behind me, taps me on the shoulder & says a great big jolly 'hi!! How are youuuuu!!'. It's a wonder I didn't scream. In a nano second he realised I was not whoever he knew, but to cover up the mistake he decided he'd chat to me anyway. I remember I eyeballed him & told him to eff off. 'No need to be like that' says he as he walked off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

coffeepls wrote: »
    Couple of years ago - about 7am in the morning walking to work along the quays in Dublin. Not a sinner around, and it's dark & this guy runs up behind me, taps me on the shoulder & says a great big jolly 'hi!! How are youuuuu!!'. It's a wonder I didn't scream. In a nano second he realised I was not whoever he knew, but to cover up the mistake he decided he'd chat to me anyway. I remember I eyeballed him & told him to eff off. 'No need to be like that' says he as he walked off.

Well he was right, there wasn't any need to be so rude ... sounds like a genuine mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Well he was right, there wasn't any need to be so rude ... sounds like a genuine mistake.

He frightened the living daylights out if me! I thought he was at best a lunatic and at worst a junkie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The automatic teller machine machine eh? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Many moons ago I used to have really long hair (think Sebastian Bach, mid 80s) and a few local hard men used to give me a hard time over it Particularly as previous to that I'd sported the more socially acceptable 'hair gel on short back and sides' look (as any decent Housemartin's fan would). Well one of these hardmen (an Oi! skin, remember them) who was also the brother of a mate of mine (and so was hard to avoid the fcuker) was forever calling me 'longhair' genius that he was. One day down the local amusements I was happily playing Tetris when tosser boy extraordinaire decides to come up and yank my hair really hard and say: 'Alright longhair, whatya up ta?!".

Only... it wasn't me at all. It was the babealicious (and I mean babe-a-fcukin-licious) sister of a local bouncer who, as it happens, was playing snooker not twenty feet away in an adjacent room and had heard the screams and commotion. He was then duly told what had just happened to one of his favourte family members and apparently the proverbial seven bells were knocked out of said Oi skin right in front of everyone in the amusements. Some begging and safe words were uttered by all accounts and although I really enjoyed hearing about it, I still would have dearly loved to have witnessed it, complete arse twat that he was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

^^

But through all of that pain and humiliation he probably learnt a valuable life lesson that day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Many moons ago I used to have really long hair (think Sebastian Bach, mid 80s) and a few local hard men used to give me a hard time over it (particularly as 12 months previous to that, I'd sported the more socially acceptable hair gel on short back and sides look, as any decent Housemartin's fan would). Well, one of these hardmen (an Oi! skin as it goes) was also the brother of a mate and so it was hard to avoid the fcuker he (and his mates) were forever calling me longhair (geniuses that they were). One day down the local amusements I was happily playing Tetris when tosser boy extraordinaire decides to come up and yank on my hair really hard and say: 'Alright longhair, whatya up ta!". Only.. it wasn't me at all, it was the babealicious (and I mean babe-a-fcukin-licious) sister of a local bouncer who, as it happens, was playing snooker not twenty feet away in an adjacent room, had heard the screams and commotion and was then duly told what had just happened to one of his favourte family members. Apparently the proverbial seven bells were knocked out of him and some begging and safe words were uttered. Enjoyed hearing about it but really would have loved to witness it, complete arse twat that he was.

Thinly veiled "I look like a ride from behind" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Agricola wrote: »
    Needs more "scoring"

That's what caused all the trouble in the first place :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Was in cork shopping one day on a trip to visit a friend. Some girl came up behind me at a traffic light (was waiting to cross) and kicked me really hard in the backside. I turned around ready to punch the fcuker that kicked me around, to be met with a bright red face, dropped jaw and profuse apologies because she'd thought I was her best friend :pac:

Im sorry but I feel sorrier for the poor girl than you :D Id never be able to get over the embarrassment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

I frequently get mistaken for Dennis Rodman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Username almost appropriate....unless there is more to this story.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Quite frequently people confuse me for George Clooney! It's great to get the women on nightclubs.

You'd think the bald head on me would tell them that I'm not him. That and I'm Chinese!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Thinly veiled "I look like a ride from behind" :D

thinly veiled "I can grow two foot of hair in a year" bolloxology

Advertisement