Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starting a relationship with my lecturer

• 11-09-2015 6:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

So I like my lecturer and I'm 100% certain he likes me, let's just say I'm ALWAYS right when I know a guy really likes me. He's at least 15 years older than me. And he just looks at me like he wants me (stares at my face. Checks out my ass boobs and legs ) yes I know this is all too sexual for some of you on here but that's all I really want, sex.

My real question is how do I go about letting him know that I'm up for it.

By the way I don't need anyone to remind me of how "wrong" they think this, we are both old enough to know the consequences and to know what we want. And I don't want to wait until I graduate to make my moves. I want him now so please just answer my question. Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Ask him would he like to meet your parents.That should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Nobody_can

He doesn't need to, there are no strings attached.
    I don't need my parents permission to get into someone's bed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

If you like him that much then think of the consequences having a relationship with a student would have on his career :)

Make sure it's not against any university rules and that you can't get "in trouble".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

If you're mature enough to sleep with him surely you can just ask him out for a drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Just tell him

• Advertisement

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    If you like him that much then think of the consequences having a relationship with a student would have on his career :)

Make sure it's not against any university rules and that you can't get "in trouble".

Ok. I will try to.

long_b wrote: »
    If you're mature enough to sleep with him surely you can just ask him out for a drink?

It's a little more complicated than that.

EoghanIRL wrote: »

I feel like our relationship shouldn't affect his career. Actually he was my lecturer last year and I'm pretty sure I won't be having him again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Unlike I suspect the previous poster I genuinely lecture (part-time) in one of the universities in Dublin.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it does and anyone would be naive to think otherwise.

What I can however say is that it rarely ever works out and the fall out and consequences for all parties are usually awful.

Let's park that much and say you still go for it. He'll have a mountain of crap to deal with ethically - both formally and informally. It is a potentially career-staller, if not career-killer for him.

Not wishing to sound like I'm judging either (I'm not), but you sound like you just want sex, rather than a relationship, right? You're asking him to risk an awful lot career/reputation etc wise for a short period of sex. Do you think he wants that and is willing to pay the price?

Sorry, I hit "send" accidentally there before I had finished. That's what typing on a phone will do when you're shattered.

You're saying you don't want it to affect his career. It will. And only one way - negatively. From actively being held against him when he seeks a promotion, to almost all staff (male and female) frowning upon his behaviour if anything were to happen. The last thing you want to be known for as an academic is perving over students....and that's how it will be perceived. Even if it were "true love" (which yo admit it's not) it would be perceived negatively.

And here's the other thing in these "relationships". They don't even have to be true. The rumour mill alone can kill a career.

Do you ever wonder why lecturers never meet a student on a one to one basis without leaving their office door open? Or if they close it they have a large glass window/panel in the door? By the way, even with the glass window/panel, you're still meant to leave the door open. And that's the basics - it gets much more complicated after that.

On the student's side, when these things end (and again you're admitting you just want a shag, not a relationship), the student tends to be ostracized from almost everyone else in their class/course. You'll see people you thought were friends disappear (some overnight, some gradually) for fear of association and how it may affect their marks etc.

My strong advice to you would be DO NOT go down this road. It will not end well. Get your kicks and gratification elsewhere. You seem very sexually confident. I can't imagine you'd be stuck for suitors, right? Have your fun elsewhere and forget about this.

2 more things:
    1. <mod note: banned topic and now results in immediate infractions - please be more careful>
    2. Please don't be one of my students!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I'd assume there is no issue with this...being both adults.

Is there any rules against this in your/any college?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP, a classmate of mine had an affair with her lecturer about 10 years ago. She then entered a LTR with a guy she got married to& has had a child with, so she's living your standard "white picket fence" life. However,classmates still remember the liaison, many will reference it if asked about her even now, her postgraduate qualifications have been overshadowed by the reputation she created for herself at that time in her life.
    There must be another man in the entire college you can be with, surely!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Nobody_can wrote: »
    And he just looks at me like he wants me (stares at my face. Checks out my ass boobs and legs )

So what you're saying is.... he's a man?

Believe it or not, men look at women, some are smart enough to leave it at that.

But if you're going to do this, then be a grown up and just ask the guy out ffs. What kind of suggestions are you expecting exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

amdublin wrote: »

It's a massive issue and there are rules, yes.

You have to declare it.

It places both parties under enormous scrutiny. All exams will be marked and checked with a microscope as will any previous or future modules involving both parties. This goes for the lecturer as well as the student.

It's not just that though. It's more what's not said upfront. It's the whispering, the gossip etc. from staff and students. Nothing undermines your credibility or authority like something like this.

Avoid!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

It's a little more complicated than that.

It's really not. If he's interested in sleeping with you, he'll say yes. If he's not and just looking (men often look, without having any intention of taking things beyond that), he'll say no.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Thanks for clarifying buttersuki. Op is the relationship worth all that buttersuki has laid out?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Get dem grades, gurl.

Unlike I suspect the previous poster I genuinely lecture (part-time) in one of the universities in Dublin.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it does and anyone would be naive to think otherwise.

What I can however say is that it rarely ever works out and the fall out and consequences for all parties are usually awful.

Let's park that much and say you still go for it. He'll have a mountain of crap to deal with ethically - both formally and informally. It is a potentially career-staller, if not career-killer for him.

Not wishing to sound like I'm judging either (I'm not), but you sound like you just want sex, rather than a relationship, right? You're asking him to risk an awful lot career/reputation etc wise for a short period of sex. Do you think he wants that and is willing to pay the price?

Sorry, I hit "send" accidentally there before I had finished. That's what typing on a phone will do when you're shattered.

You're saying you don't want it to affect his career. It will. And only one way - negatively. From actively being held against him when he seeks a promotion, to almost all staff (male and female) frowning upon his behaviour if anything were to happen. The last thing you want to be known for as an academic is perving over students....and that's how it will be perceived. Even if it were "true love" (which yo admit it's not) it would be perceived negatively.

And here's the other thing in these "relationships". They don't even have to be true. The rumour mill alone can kill a career.

Do you ever wonder why lecturers never meet a student on a one to one basis without leaving their office door open? Or if they close it they have a large glass window/panel in the door? By the way, even with the glass window/panel, you're still meant to leave the door open. And that's the basics - it gets much more complicated after that.

On the student's side, when these things end (and again you're admitting you just want a shag, not a relationship), the student tends to be ostracized from almost everyone else in their class/course. You'll see people you thought were friends disappear (some overnight, some gradually) for fear of association and how it may affect their marks etc.

My strong advice to you would be DO NOT go down this road. It will not end well. Get your kicks and gratification elsewhere. You seem very sexually confident. I can't imagine you'd be stuck for suitors, right? Have your fun elsewhere and forget about this.

2 more things:
    1. <mod note: banned topic and now results in immediate infractions - please be more careful>
    2. Please don't be one of my students!

You made some really good points. I see where almost everyone is coming from. I'll try to respect that it will affect his career.

Why would you say that. Do you check out your students ?

Dgghgfx wrote: »
    OP, a classmate of mine had an affair with her lecturer about 10 years ago. She then entered a LTR with a guy she got married to& has had a child with, so she's living your standard "white picket fence" life. However,classmates still remember the liaison, many will reference it if asked about her even now, her postgraduate qualifications have been overshadowed by the reputation she created for herself at that time in her life.
    There must be another man in the entire college you can be with, surely!

Rumours tend to do that. I'm not worried about being disliked, I don't care what others think of me. But I'm worried for him, I can tell he is a good man.

What if no-one knows? Seeing as you are a lecturer has it ever occurred to you that no college actually has any rules specifically stating you cannot date your lecturer and that it will affect both parties career wise ?

What if no-one knows? Seeing as you are a lecturer has it ever occurred to you that no college actually has any rules specifically stating you cannot date your lecturer and that it will affect both parties career wise ?

And I don't want sex from anyone else. I like him but in a "let's have sex" kind of way.

• Advertisement

amdublin wrote: »

I looked it up and there are no rules against it.

So what you're saying is.... he's a man?

Believe it or not, men look at women, some are smart enough to leave it at that.

But if you're going to do this, then be a grown up and just ask the guy out ffs. What kind of suggestions are you expecting exactly?

The looks he gives me aren't just looks of a casual nature. Trust me I know men look at me all the time. The looks he gives me are way more intense. He is physically attracted to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

The looks he gives me aren't just looks of a casual nature. Trust me I know men look at me all the time. The looks he gives me are way more intense. He is physically attracted to me

So ask him for a drink.

I don't understand what you're looking for here. You claim you know he fancies you, and argue against people who say not to do it. So do it?

It's a massive issue and there are rules, yes.

You have to declare it.

It places both parties under enormous scrutiny. All exams will be marked and checked with a microscope as will any previous or future modules involving both parties. This goes for the lecturer as well as the student.

It's not just that though. It's more what's not said upfront. It's the whispering, the gossip etc. from staff and students. Nothing undermines your credibility or authority like something like this.

Avoid!!!!

Please tell me where I can find these rules. What are the regulations in place.

Tell me exactly where I can find these rules.

So ask him for a drink.

I don't understand what you're looking for here. You claim you know he fancies you, and argue against people who say not to do it. So do it?

I'm not trying to offend you. I'm just stating the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I'm not trying to offend you. I'm just stating the facts.

I'm not offended. I'm genuinely wondering what advice you want.

You've been told not to do it - you've argued against that.

You've been told to ask him out - you've said you cant.

You've been told he might just be checking you out - you've said no, he's interested.

What else do you want to hear? You've been told to ask him, not ask him, that he fancies you, that he doesn't fancy you. And you've refuted each point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

If every man slept with every woman they were sexually attracted to, and stared at, they'd have to quit their lecturing (or whatever) job because there simply wouldn't be enough hours in the day. Finding someone sexually attractive and wanting to have sex with them in the abstract, doesn't necessarily translate into actually wanting to go through with it.

That doesn't mean he doesn't want to sleep with you. But it doesn't mean he does. But the only way you'll know is to make a move, ask him out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

And even if he does want to sleep with you, that doesn't mean he will.

I'm not offended. I'm genuinely wondering what advice you want.

You've been told not to do it - you've argued against that.

You've been told to ask him out - you've said you cant.

You've been told he might just be checking you out - you've said no, he's interested.

What else do you want to hear? You've been told to ask him, not ask him, that he fancies you, that he doesn't fancy you. And you've refuted each point.

I see where you are coming from. I do have all the advice I need for the go ahead. I think I'm ready to do this.

• Advertisement

OneOfThem wrote: »
    If every man slept with every woman they were sexually attracted to, and stared at, they'd have to quit their lecturing (or whatever) job because there simply wouldn't be enough hours in the day. Finding someone sexually attractive and wanting to have sex with them in the abstract, doesn't necessarily translate into actually wanting to go through with it.

That doesn't mean he doesn't want to sleep with you. But it doesn't mean he does. But the only way you'll know is to make a move, ask him out.

You really are just naive. If someone really wants to shag the poop out of someone. It's going to be really hard for him to control his physical attraction towards me.

Please don't think there aren't plenty of boys in my college that want to shag me. I know I'm sexy or whatever but I know this man is dying to and I want someone a little more mature.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement