Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The League Of Sweariest Nations

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Candie wrote: »
    People who are very precious about it are irritating in the opposite extreme.

And I hate when swearing is equated with a lack of intelligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Live in America for a few year and you will be enlightened.

I have. They didn't swear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Swear words when used in a good context are very fun to use, i think when someone uses them in every second sentence they loose meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

They don't really swear in real life either. Maybe certain sub cultures.

There seems to be a big divide between those I've met... there's those who think saying "oh, shoot" is risque and then there are those who literally communicate to each other through use of obscenities.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

In Australia the ladyfolk have no probs letting rip with the C-word, something you don't witness much here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭vandriver

Swear words when used in a good context are very fun to use, i think when someone uses them in every second sentence they loose meaning.
    It f@#king grinds my f@#king gears when someone can't f@#king spell lose.
    Aah,glad that's off my chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

whupdedo wrote: »
    Theirs nothing funnier than hearing a child curse

Dunno about that. The guy slipping on the ice a few years ago while RTE news was filming is hard to beat.

Whisky galore, that's interesting. To be honest I've never understood why so many people get so hung up about the word c**t. I think it was Stephen Fry, though it could have been Billy Connolly, who pointed out that all the words which describe truly horrific and offensive things in English are not viewed as obscene whereas many of the words which mean things which give pleasure are. I have never understood the categorising of c**t as worse than f**k or c**k for example. I have heard people say that women don't like it because it doesn't sound nice but then neither do the other two I cited, they are all tonally harsh. If they have an aversion to it because of what it means then they shouldn't use c**k or d**k either because were a man to behave in the opposite way he would very quickly be accused of being chauvinistic. Its beyond me why it is so offensive. Though, all that said, it is useful in its offensivity in that its useful as a f-bomb if used effectively. For example, if I find someone an irritant I'll describe them as a d**k or a p***k, whereas if there is someone I find absolutely despicable I will use the word c**t which leaves no-one under any illusions what I think about that person.

In Australia the ladyfolk have no probs letting rip with the C-word, something you don't witness much here.

I never understood the hate for cunt. To me it's no different to any other swearword.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Very Bored wrote: »
    Reminds me of a time in a café in Dublin, I was with an Italian friend and was talking to him about a recent match I'd been to and how I had been in Curva Nord (Inter's diehard end) and there were these two dear old Polish ladies who every time I said Curva looked at me shocked... was it wicked of me that I deliberately kept saying it to get a reaction :D?

I shared a house with a few other girls about 10 years ago. One of them was Polish. Another housemate used to go to the ladies' gym "Curves" a couple of times a week, hysterical laughter from the Polish girl every time this was mentioned! :D

I LOVE swearing. And because I'm so quiet and reserved normally, it really shocks some people when I come out with a loud "FÚCK". :D Part of the pleasure of swearing is seeing others' reactions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

"Have you got a fuc!in smoke on yeh, have yeh?"

Randomer making a request on O'Connell St yesterday, 2:15 pm. Lovely. The smoke was not forthcoming.

"Have you got a fuc!in smoke on yeh, have yeh?"

Randomer making a request on O'Connell St yesterday, 2:15 pm. Lovely. The smoke was not forthcoming.

Well that's just rude..."May I have a fcuking smoke, please?" would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

When I moved over to London I noticed quickly that I needed to tone down my swearing in the workplace quite a bit. I didn't really mind for the most part but was surprised how much the word cúnt is frowned upon

Recently I've gotten a new manager who happens to be Scottish and is much looser with this kind of thing.

Between the two of us we have been cúnting the whole office out over the past few weeks :) Great craic

Was it a woman who asked you kermit and if so was she good looking? I suspect the answer to both is a firm negative but if by chance it was you could have responded you can have a f**kin schmoke if I can have a schmokin f**k.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

People who do not curse are robot zombies
    I'm a robot zombie (but that's been known since I entered this world). I don't curse but have no problem with others doing in so long as it isn't inappropriate to the situation, isn't excessive, and isn't being used to hurt somebody in a nasty way.

Very Bored wrote: »
    Whisky galore, that's interesting. To be honest I've never understood why so many people get so hung up about the word c**t.

There was places called Gropec*nt Lane etc in England at one time, but they got renamed when the C-word fell from favour.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/01/26/someones-launched-a-petition-to-bring-back-gropecnt-lane-to-uk-streets-5036895/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

There was places called Gropec*nt Lane etc in England at one time, but they got renamed when the C-word fell from favour.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/01/26/someones-launched-a-petition-to-bring-back-gropecnt-lane-to-uk-streets-5036895/

Gropecvnt Lane was a fairly common name for a red light district back in ye olde medieval times.

There was once a street called Gropecvnt Lane just off O'Connell Street.

Yeah, Gropec**t Lane used to be used when streets took their names from the type of trade which took place there. Still to this day there are a lot of streets in the City of London which have names based on that system. Pity they changed the obscene ones, would be funny to see a royal procession on BBC TV with David Dimbleby voicing the route, "now, as her majesty's carriage makes its way through the crowded City of London streets they turn up Gropec**t Lane before making their final journey back to the palace".

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭toptom

They don't really swear in real life either. Maybe certain sub cultures.

The blacks and their c/rap music. people who can't stop with the auld cursing want to see a doctor for themselves or go to Ballinasloe and get the nerves checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The only thing that irritates me more than people who are overly precious about swearing are people who swear as much as they want but think hearing the word cúnt is one of the worst atrocities a person can go through.

Someone tried telling me once it's because they hate vulgarity (despite fúck being an integral part of their vocabulary). It's a word, four letters. It's as vulgar as you want it to be, you are choosing to be offended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I think German is the best language to swear in - French not so much(sounds as if your getting a compliment). Irish folk swearing? Well that would depend on where you come from - the best and most aggressive would be Northern Irish and the least wayyy down the country.

And all this "c u next Tuesday" sh*te. The next time someone tells me they get offended by "c u next Tuesday" I'm going to say I get offended by daft c*nts who can't spell.

Madam, please explain why you think German is the best language to swear in and why French is the worst. I thought German was one of the few languages to not have an equivalent for f*ck off. Myself, I have to side with Billy Connolly to a point, I think f*ck off is a great set of words and it doesn't matter where in the world you are, if you tell someone to f*ck off then they will understand. However, I think English language swearing is beaten by Italian. I love the precision of swearing in Italian, how it can be so simple and effective but also so colourful. I also love the way it can come at the very end of a sentence so it loses none of its effectiveness in transmission... any language that can throw p*ssy in as an expletive right at the end of a sentence or use it to encourage someone to do something (for example forza Inter, dai figa) is brilliant if you ask me.

Advertisement