Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The League Of Sweariest Nations

Options
  • 10-09-2015 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

In a chat with an Englishwoman today the topic of nations that swear a lot came up. Now I said that in Ireland we tend to curse a lot more than people in the UK and that it sounds a lot less aggressive when we do. She was shocked and could only hazard a guess that it was because of Father Ted whereas I would think its because, in Ireland, we tend to curse about things whilst in the UK they tend to direct their swearing at people. I understand that this is a gross generalisation before someone points it out because there are lots of Irish people who object to cursing and plenty of Brits who swear gratuitously. But it got me thinking, which nationalities swear a lot? I know, for example, that Italians tend to and that they tend to curse a lot and that they do it in the way I suggested Irish people do, about things rather than at people. In fact its perhaps harder to swear directly at someone in Italian as there are fewer ways to do it whilst there are innumerate ways to swear about things. I also get a feeling that the Polish tend to curse a lot but I'm not as sure as I am with Italians. I also wonder whether there is a reason why some nationalities tend to do so more than others.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I worked with a New Zealand girl who said she's never heard anybody swear as much as me and the other Irish lad.

It made us proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Dead on osarusan, f**ky ar la!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭MadMardegan

I'm Irish and would consider us a nation who swears a lot.

Having said that, I'm living in rural Australia at the moment and the lads I work with swear an extraordinary amount. Didn't notice it so much when I was living in Sydney but the difference out here is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Its one of my pet hates, cant stand listing to anyone for whom every second word is f**k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

People who do not curse are robot zombies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I curse like a sailor

I prob bring up the national average on the use of the word cúnt! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

A well-placed swear word is a beautiful thing.

I have to side with mariaalice on this. I would consider myself someone who swears quite frequently but I don't like it either when its completely gratuitous. I think the way Billy Connolly swears, for example, is fine whereas I switched Ted off when I watched it because I found it off-putting. That f**k you thunder song was just unnecessary and unfunny in my opinion. That said, I find it parsimonious when people have a complete aversion to cursing, particularly when they act like nazis by putting their desire to not hear any bad words over someone's desire to use it. I mean do they think they will turn into dust in a big puff if they hear the word f**k?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Sudance

I had similar conversations with lots and lots of english people. It was usually prompted by the fact that I never swore at all, and they were always amazed because every irish person they knew swore like a trooper. I would point out it rarely if ever did. The exception being that I would have to be extremely angry, and as you said about typical irish style of swearing, it would be targeted at some inanimate target. Nor did my kids swear ever.

We moved home! Sweet Jesus! My kids now swear like troopers and they've even infected me with it. I swear to God it's like an infectious airborne disease. Nobody has a bad influence on me the way my own kids seem to have done lol....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,931 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Where I work we have an appropriate language policy. I find it very very difficult to abide by the policy.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Germans use the word scheisse so much it can become painful to listen to. Scheisse this and scheisse that.

Anthropologist Alan Dundes wrote a book in the 80s called Life is Like a Chicken Coop Ladder the basic thrust of which is that ze Germans are so clean and orderly in there everyday life that they are all have anal fixations and are secretly fascinated by poop.

Make of that what you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Where I work we have an appropriate language policy.
    We do too...fuck that :D

Where I work we have an appropriate language policy. I find it very very difficult to abide by the policy.

I worked in a place that had that too... the fact I speak Italian and am equally sweary in Italian came in useful... if I said "who the f**k did this" I was liable to getting scolded, if I said "chi c*zzo ha fatto questo" not so much :D

Germans use the word scheisse so much it can become painful to listen to. Scheisse this and scheisse that.

Anthropologist Alan Dundes wrote a book in the 80s called Life is Like a Chicken Coop Ladder the basic thrust of which is that ze Germans are so clean and orderly in there everyday life that they are all have anal fixations and are secretly fascinated by poop.

Make of that what you will.

I wonder if that's why schwein is also used as a swear word in Germany, with a schwein being a typically messy animal... I was in Germany a few years ago and it was f**king freezing, all the Germans were saying "es ist schweinkalt"... interestingly though the Italians would tend to say "fa un freddo bestiale" (its bestially cold) so perhaps the Germans aren't the only ones with a fixation on temperatures and animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Very Bored wrote: »
    In a chat with an Englishwoman today the topic of nations that swear a lot came up. Now I said that in Ireland we tend to curse a lot more than people in the UK and that it sounds a lot less aggressive when we do. She was shocked and could only hazard a guess that it was because of Father Ted whereas I would think its because, in Ireland, we tend to curse about things whilst in the UK they tend to direct their swearing at people. I understand that this is a gross generalisation before someone points it out because there are lots of Irish people who object to cursing and plenty of Brits who swear gratuitously. But it got me thinking, which nationalities swear a lot? I know, for example, that Italians tend to and that they tend to curse a lot and that they do it in the way I suggested Irish people do, about things rather than at people. In fact its perhaps harder to swear directly at someone in Italian as there are fewer ways to do it whilst there are innumerate ways to swear about things. I also get a feeling that the Polish tend to curse a lot but I'm not as sure as I am with Italians. I also wonder whether there is a reason why some nationalities tend to do so more than others.

That's fairly astute I think. I don't like the Irish sweary culture but the English can, because of its relative rarity, use it to greater effect.

I use the f word more than the English but it's generally with reason as something I dislike ( this f**ing weather) but there's a class of Irishman to which it is an adverb or adjective in all sentences.

I f**ing walked into this f**ing restaurant and f**ing ate the the most f**ing amazing breakfast. The f**ing sausages and rashers were f**ing amazing.

That's fairly astute I think. I don't like the Irish sweary culture but the English can, because of its relative rarity, use it to greater effect.

I use the f word more than the English but it's generally with reason as something I dislike ( this f**ing weather) but there's a class of Irishman to which it is an adverb or adjective in all sentences.

I f**ing walked into this f**ing restaurant and f**ing ate the the most f**ing amazing breakfast. The f**ing sausages and rashers were f**ing amazing.

In fairness you get guttermouths both in Ireland and in the UK and generally in both cases they are doing it for effect but end up looking stupid.

However, using it appropriately is no bad thing. In fact, both my parents can be a bit parsimonious about it, my father more so who often tells me its unnecessary and a sign of a weak vocabularly. I usually respond by saying both Stephen Fry and John Cleese use it and I wouldn't feel particularly upset if someone considered that I had a similar level of vocabulary to either of them.

In fact there is a great video with Stephen Fry, which I won't link to here because it does contain bad language which can be found by googling youtube stephen fry swearing. Equally Billy Connolly on swearing is worth a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

F*ckin f*ckin d'ya nah? F*ckin basterin thing of a yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

osarusan wrote: »
    I worked with a New Zealand girl who said she's never heard anybody swear as much as me and the other Irish lad.

It made us proud.

Why would that make you proud?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Why would that make you proud?

Feck of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

It's great stress relief to shout f*ck now and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Kurwa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Reiver wrote: »
    Kurwa.

Reminds me of a time in a café in Dublin, I was with an Italian friend and was talking to him about a recent match I'd been to and how I had been in Curva Nord (Inter's diehard end) and there were these two dear old Polish ladies who every time I said Curva looked at me shocked... was it wicked of me that I deliberately kept saying it to get a reaction :D?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Theirs nothing funnier than hearing a child curse

whupdedo wrote: »
    Theirs nothing funnier than hearing a child curse

Especially when they don't know how to... my neighbours and I were having a water fight a few weeks ago, adults and children included, and I soaked, now I mean drenched, my nextdoor neighbour's seven year old from my upstairs window (I was leaning out of the window throwing water out of it)... he looked up at me and shouted "aaaaarggggghhhh, you basthead"... I nearly ate the carpet.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    A well-placed swear word is a beautiful thing.

And that's the key to full-impact swearing imo.

Using a curse as every other word in everyday conversation ruins the impact of swearing, it's meaningless when all language is machine-gun pocked with profanity.

When it's reserved for the occasions that really call for the big guns, it can be used to devastating effect.

People who are very precious about it are irritating in the opposite extreme.

I think the award for most schizophrenic swearing nation has to go to America though. The Americans swear so much I thought the first words to Star Spangled Banner were "Oh, goddamn you see, by the motherf*cking light..." Yet if you say boob on American TV, the censors go insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

When I worked in London I was once complimented on my swearing by my colleagues. The general view was, my English colleagues tended to swear in an aggressive & confrontational manner. I was told that I had a poetic & artistic quality to my swearing. Which almost had a musical lilt to it and was regarded as being very entertaining and completely non-threatening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Very Bored wrote: »
    I think the award for most schizophrenic swearing nation has to go to America though. The Americans swear so much I thought the first words to Star Spangled Banner were "Oh, goddamn you see, by the motherf*cking light..." Yet if you say boob on American TV, the censors go insane.

They don't really swear in real life either. Maybe certain sub cultures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TomBtheGoat

They don't really swear in real life either. Maybe certain sub cultures.

Live in America for a few year and you will be enlightened.

Advertisement