Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlimited Data and Texts + More €20/m on Prepay

Options
  • 08-09-2015 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Was browsing around the internet and found this deal while looking for decent internet to use for college.

Went into the three store with all the details and sure as can be, they gave me this great deal that seems not to be advertised anywhere in store.

Comes with Unlimited Data, Unlimited Texts to any network, FREE 3 to 3 calls & Free weekend calls to any network.

I am using this with my three modem, which i got for €50 instead of €100 in the same store (after finding the deal online and showing it to the person who served me)

Sorry for no direct link, i'm a new member and can't post URLs.

carphonewarehouse.ie/shop/phones-plans/all-plans/448

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭madyoke2009

Three has a fair usage policy "unlimited" is only 15gb with all other Three unlimited data plans. There is a 43 page Terms and conditions online which Three will point you too when you go over the all you can eat, unlimited data.

Check if there is a fair usage policy attached

http://www.three.ie/terms-conditions/services/all-you-can-eat-data-terms-conditions/

JrdiH wrote: »
    Was browsing around the internet and found this deal while looking for decent internet to use for college.

Went into the three store with all the details and sure as can be, they gave me this great deal that seems not to be advertised anywhere in store.

Comes with Unlimited Data, Unlimited Texts to any network, FREE 3 to 3 calls & Free weekend calls to any network.

I am using this with my three modem, which i got for €50 instead of €100 in the same store (after finding the deal online and showing it to the person who served me)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

That's the standard 3 deal as far as I know, I've been on it for months now. Really nothing to shout home about, same as all the rest really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JrdiH

Three has a fair usage policy "unlimited" is only 15gb with all other Three unlimited data plans. There is a 43 page Terms and conditions online which Three will point you too when you go over the all you can eat, unlimited data.

Check if there is a fair usage policy attached

Haven't checked about a fair usage policy, there's none on the carphone warehouse website.

The receipt says a "Surfkit USIM pack" which doesn't seem to be anywhere on the three website either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭bromley52

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Three has a fair usage policy of 15GB, however they have never throttled anyone or cut off their internet for going over it. The worst that happened is some bill pay customers recently were charged for tethering, as that's not allowed.

Prepay customers are basically left alone. I regularly go waaaaay over 15GB, as do my family, my boyfriend goes over 200GB, no throttling or cut off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Three has a fair usage policy of 15GB, however they have never throttled anyone or cut off their internet for going over it. The worst that happened is some bill pay customers recently were charged for tethering, as that's not allowed.

Prepay customers are basically left alone. I regularly go waaaaay over 15GB, as do my family, my boyfriend goes over 200GB, no throttling or cut off.

20 or 200gb? 200GB is serious data on a mobile plan, I know tethering can use far more data especially if tethering to a laptop or streaming box alright

Aquos76 wrote: »
    20 or 200gb? 200GB is serious data on a mobile plan, I know tethering can use far more data especially if tethering to a laptop or streaming box alright

200. When his net is down (regularly!) he uses it to tether for gaming on his xbox one.

I'd use 20-30gb a month.

There have been no cases of Three stopping service for anyone on prepay going over the 15gb fair usage allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Aquos76 wrote: »

In fairness, its that type of non sense of hitting 200GB on a mobile network that causes operators to implement limits.

TallGlass wrote: »
    In fairness, its that type of non sense of hitting 200GB on a mobile network that causes operators to implement limits.

They probably shouldn't offer unlimited data so.

I suppose UPC and the likes should do away with it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

They offer unlimited data for phone use, not for tethering use.

Three and t-mobile in the UK bought in network tools to analyse traffic and block tethered traffic (and before anyone says it, NO, it's not based on your http headers). I wouldn't be surprised after three's "The big Upgrade" that they'd put in similar measures here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

If you're a student: keep an eye out for Vodafone reps in campuses this month because it's only available on campus on the day - not in shops, phone or online.

This years student deal is 7.5GB data and unlimited SMS messages as part of your €20 topup and you keep your €20 credit

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

breathn wrote: »
    They offer unlimited data for phone use, not for tethering use.

Three and t-mobile in the UK bought in network tools to analyse traffic and block tethered traffic (and before anyone says it, NO, it's not based on your http headers). I wouldn't be surprised after three's "The big Upgrade" that they'd put in similar measures here.

O2 knew how to stop it here, so now Three know too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Three have had this deal for years. This is nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

breathn wrote: »
    If you're a student: keep an eye out for Vodafone reps in campuses this month because it's only available on campus on the day - not in shops, phone or online.

This years student deal is 7.5GB data and unlimited SMS messages as part of your €20 topup and you keep your €20 credit

Hardly extraordinary. Vodafone are the biggest ripoff around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I have a 3 prepay sim for the xbox alone. Is 49gb so far this month. Had it for 12 months now.

I also convert the €20 into €15 of xbox credit, making this a steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

ch750536 wrote: »
    I also convert the €20 into €15 of xbox credit, making this a steal.

didnt know you could do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭matchthis

How do you do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

These mobile data limits are a joke anyway

3g is supposed to be capable of about 8mbs, but most of the time you'll be lucky to get 4mbs consistently

If you're get 4mbs connection on 3g and your download limit is 15gb per month then you could technically exceed your entire months usage in about 1 hour of using the service.

How can they sell a product that is supposed to last a month, but is used up in less than an hour?

It's much much worse for 4g
    If you use 4g your monthly 15gb allowance could be used up in 3 minutes if you somehow managed to get the 75mbs they claim to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Akrasia wrote: »
    If you use 4g your monthly 15gb allowance could be used up in 3 minutes if you somehow managed to get the 75mbs they claim to offer.

3 minutes, really? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Have absolutely 100% no problem anyone using that much over UPC its a strong wired network unlike 3's service. BTW, theres a fair usage policy on UPC in which your not allowed to use VPN on there network. I can only assume they would be having words with you if your causing issues on there network. If its that much a problem complain to the government body that control advertising.

And your right they probably shouldn't and you probably shouldn't be downloading 200GB worth of data on there network either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Akrasia wrote: »
    These mobile data limits are a joke anyway

3g is supposed to be capable of about 8mbs, but most of the time you'll be lucky to get 4mbs consistently

If you're get 4mbs connection on 3g and your download limit is 15gb per month then you could technically exceed your entire months usage in about 1 hour of using the service.

How can they sell a product that is supposed to last a month, but is used up in less than an hour?

As is repeately stated over and over again whenever this deal comes up, 3 dont seem to care about fair usage, there is no auto-cutoff like Meteor, I regularly use 60 GB or more in a weekend a couple of times a month, been doing it for years now, first on 3G now on 4G.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭Soarer

200. When his net is down (regularly!) he uses it to tether for gaming on his xbox one.

I'd use 20-30gb a month.

There have been no cases of Three stopping service for anyone on prepay going over the 15gb fair usage allowance.

Gaming, eh?!

Does he do all his gaming when you're gone to bed? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Thargor wrote: »
    As is repeately stated over and over again whenever this deal comes up, 3 dont seem to care about fair usage, there is no auto-cutoff like Meteor, I regularly use 60 GB or more in a weekend a couple of times a month, been doing it for years now, first on 3G now on 4G.

yeah I know this. It was more of a general comment on mobile data caps and how they're so tiny especially when they're selling the product based on how you can watch videos or live tv 'on the go'

I used 3 for years and regularly abused their data allowances, and I'd go back with them if they could provide a reliable service in my area

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

ch750536 wrote: »

those prices would be a bit of rip off if ye didnt have €20 credit "free" to use...

looks like they've caught on to ye too!
    €15 Microsoft Xbox Gift Card
    Sorry, this item is currently out of stock! It will be available soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Cavey

Can anybody shed some light on this please?

Three have a block on their mobile internet to stop you looking at adult sites etc. I wanted to get this taken off. Not to use those sites but just because Tinder doesn't work when I'm out and about which is quite annoying. I went into a three store and asked the guy about removing it and he said, "yes we can remove that no problem. You just need to bring in your passport so we can photocopy it and send it to head office". He couldn't even tell me why they needed a copy of it but there is no way I'm giving them that! I told him I could bring my passport in and show it to him to prove my age but he still insisted a copy was needed! WHY??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Cavey wrote: »
    Can anybody shed some light on this please?

Three have a block on their mobile internet to stop you looking at adult sites etc. I wanted to get this taken off. Not to use those sites but just because Tinder doesn't work when I'm out and about which is quite annoying. I went into a three store and asked the guy about removing it and he said, "yes we can remove that no problem. You just need to bring in your passport so we can photocopy it and send it to head office". He couldn't even tell me why they needed a copy of it but there is no way I'm giving them that! I told him I could bring my passport in and show it to him to prove my age but he still insisted a copy was needed! WHY??

A block is applied automatically for the safety of minors. You just need to bring in some ID to get it removed. Standard procedure.

Scruff wrote: »
    those prices would be a bit of rip off if ye didnt have €20 credit "free" to use...

looks like they've caught on to ye too!

€20 for unlimited internet + €15 xbox credit is never a bad deal. Also, use the €10 & €5 codes.

Techmaster wrote: »
    A block is applied automatically for the safety of minors. You just need to bring in some ID to get it removed. Standard procedure.

Incorrect - block is on prepay only. Billpay not only is adult block free but they also refuse to put a block on when it is requested.

Don't rely on the prepay block either - not great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Cavey

Techmaster wrote: »

But why do they need to photocopy it and keep it on record? I don't like the idea of three having a copy of my passport laying about...

Advertisement