Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working way too much overtime, no lunches

Options
  • 08-09-2015 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there

recently got my dream job after a few intern ships and a year long contract in another place in a similar field.

The job I had before this was fine but I wanted to try something new. I deeply regret this. When I signed my contract it stated that I might have to work overtime if there was excess work to do. For no extra pay. A bit of a red flag but I assumed this was a few times when deadlines piled up which I was prepared for.

My hours are normally 9 to 6. However I am here a month now and I have worked at least 10 hours with no lunch almost ever day here since I started. There is simply too much work to do as the company are taking on too many clients. Meaning I have to stay back and do it. I'm always the last in the office after the MD.

I'm here since 9 now and it's 18:45 with another hours at least work ahead of me. I'm exhausted but I can't walk out of the job as no place will hire me thinking I up and left after a month.

I'm slowly losing my life and my sanity with this. I'm only 21 and I don't want to be doing this at my age if ever. What can I do?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

The maximum working week is 48hrs averaged over 4 weeks, go to citizens advice clinic or contact NERA.

Are you rostered for a lunch..if so take it no matter how busy, if it been denied that's illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,810 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you spoken to your manager about how you can work more efficiently? if you're only there a month, you're still learning how to do things, and should be getting detailed guidance if you're new to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

You have to start learning to speak up.This isn't an unusual problem for people starting out in the workplace.Firstly, take your lunch.Down tools, walk away and take 30 mins or whatever to eat.You are entitled to it, nobody will begrudge you it (despite what you might think).The work is going nowhere, it will still be there when you've eaten.
    Secondly, you need to speak to your manager about your workload.If you keep doing overtime, it will be expected that you will do it, if that makes sense.You need to talk to your manager about your worklaod, but more importantly you need to stand up and walk out at finishing time every day.Nobody is going to tell you to go home, and nobody is going to thank you for staying.It's up to you.If the work doesn't get done, then it's evidence that they need more staff.The only thing for you to do is flag it loud and clear that certain things will be delayed or won't get done because of the workload, and keep saying that.
    You'll learn that the only person looking out for you in the workplace is you.Don't ever forget that, so it's up to you to lay down what you will and won't do within reason, because nobody else is going to do it for you.No company will go under because you did your working hours, then went home.No job is so important that you can't eat your lunch (unless you're a medical person, maybe).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The maximum working week is 48hrs averaged over 4 weeks, go to citizens advice clinic or contact NERA.

Are you rostered for a lunch..if so take it no matter how busy, if it been denied that's illegal.

The maximum working work is 48hrs BUT is averaged over 4 months (6 months in some cases, or as detailed in a collective agreement)

OP you are entitled to breaks under legislation called the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997 Check your entitlement there, and get back to us if you have an y further questions.

I would not recommend simply taking a break without first discussing this with your employer. We still live in an economy where employers hold the whip hand, you are in the first month of your employment and have less employment rights than people who are working for more than one year. Staff who demand can often find they are staff who are no longer in demand.

I would suggest taking Mrs O Bumble's advice, I'm sure that a case can be made for your working efficiency suffering as a result of the long hours and lack of breaks and that you can be more effective if adequately rested.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Honestly OP legislation aside it's a suck it up IMHO especially at 21. Now's the time to put in the 10 and 12 hour days and get to were you can in your career. I did when I was that age.

Maybe I'm jaded that I'll have to do it again in my late 30s but that's what happens when you change careers.

Being blunt if you're not willing to do it, many will.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Talk with your manager about workload and your supervisor about work methods.

Either they will reduce your workload or give you guidance in getting through the work. Being new you could be going about things the wrong way which could well be why you are having to do overtime.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Honestly OP legislation aside it's a suck it up IMHO especially at 21. Now's the time to put in the 10 and 12 hour days and get to were you can in your career. I did when I was that age.

Total and utter nonsense! If you had a bit of respect for yourself you would not allow yourself to be treated this way. Act like a doormat and people will walk on you.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Total and utter nonsense! If you had a bit of respect for yourself you would not allow yourself to be treated this way. Act like a doormat and people will walk on you.

I never allowed myself to be a doormat. There were employees who decided it was time to go at 5pm and others that wanted to stay and make a name for themsleves. I had no less respect for the 5pm finishers when I passed them out in the promotion chain and eneded up being their boss, they had other priorities, which was fair enough if they pulled their weight when they were at work. The OP's time to shine is now, perhaps I put that across to flippantly but it's an opputunity that's going to be harder and harder to get as you get older.

As an aside if you're 'BeyondExhausted' on a 9 - 19:00 shift there is something wrong. Unless you're doing a very manual job.

It's a judgement call OP - nothing is more important that your health of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

As an aside if you're 'BeyondExhausted' on a 9 - 19:00 shift there is something wrong. Unless you're doing a very manual job.

This would be the case if the OP was taking a lunch and if it wasn't every day, however with them not applying I can fully understand how someone would be exhausted if they had to keep up this kind of routine.

I have a hard time understanding the work culture of some companies that expects 10+ hours days, or the notion of 'being seen' working these kinds of hours equating to more career success. More and more research is showing that work productivity plummets after a certain amount of time, along with the terrible effects on your health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

The 3 A's employers look for when assessing employees for promotion, Aittitude, Aptitude and Ambition. Some are clock watchers, some want to graft a bit more to be noticed and improve their chances of promotion. Doesn't make you a bad employee if you leave at 5pm nor a good one if you stay on, but if you leave when the manager/boss wants you to stay on, then the guy/gal who will stay in moves ahead of you. Like it or not, that's the way of the working world, others will say that's crap and that merit and talent always wins out but most employers want that and a bit more.

It's not always about "productivity", every company has a manager who got there not because they were the most productive but more likely that they knew how to look productive when it mattered and that is often when the clock watchers have gone home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

OP I have been in your situation a few times. At the end of the day your personal happiness and health is THE most important thing.

NO job is more important than this. Working long hours is fine if you are enjoying it but from your post i do not think this is the case.

If i were in your position i would visualize this job being very short term, start believing in the fact that you are a fantastic asset to ANY Company.

Start looking around actively for other jobs now and do interviews, hang in there for a couple of months until something comes up but Only if you think you can handle it

ask yourself 'whats the worst possible thing that can happen if i leave?'...the reality is not as terrible as you think.

Best of Luck!

There were employees who decided it was time to go at 5pm and others that wanted to stay and make a name for themsleves. I had no less respect for the 5pm finishers when I passed them out in the promotion chain and eneded up being their boss.

Some would say if you can't complete your days work in the 8hrs, you're not managing your work day... people can achevie all their work in 8hrs and some have to stay on late, this doesn't make you manager material.
    Promotion should be based on many things like work quality, but not late working and ass kissing....but unfortunately it is.

Example, my current boss was the least productive and awful moaner, a great man to pass off jobs to others. He got the job because no one wanted it and he kissued the right asses..he is not a good boss, he will not last as we don't respect or his ways.

I never allowed myself to be a doormat. There were employees who decided it was time to go at 5pm and others that wanted to stay and make a name for themsleves. I had no less respect for the 5pm finishers when I passed them out in the promotion chain and eneded up being their boss, they had other priorities, which was fair enough if they pulled their weight when they were at work. The OP's time to shine is now, perhaps I put that across to flippantly but it's an opputunity that's going to be harder and harder to get as you get older.

It's a judgement call OP - nothing is more important that your health of course.

Honestly if the only way you can get a head at your employers is pile on lots of unpaid overtime then it really is not much of a place to work. Over the past 30 years I've held several management positions at firms in mainland Europe and I never expected any of my team to work an hour beyond their contracted hours nor did I do overtime either.

At the end of the day it is just a job, not your life, or it least it should not be.

Some would say if you can't complete your days work in the 8hrs, you're not managing your work day... people can achevie all their work in 8hrs and some have to stay on late, this doesn't make you manager material.
    Promotion should be based on many things like work quality, but not late working and ass kissing....but unfortunately it is.

Example, my current boss was the least productive and awful moaner, a great man to pass off jobs to others. He got the job because no one wanted it and he kissued the right asses..he is not a good boss, he will not last as we don't respect or his ways.

If he kissed the right assess, you might be the one who won't last. Depending in what needs to be done and how long it takes to do it, to say if it isn't done in 8hrs then you are not organised is, well naive. Sometimes you have to put your shoulder to the wheel if you want to get on, not only that, if you are clever enough, you can make sure your extra effort is noticed and appreciated. Your boss obviously plays the game better than you.

davo10 wrote: »
    Doesn't make you a bad employee if you leave at 5pm nor a good one if you stay on, but if you leave when the manager/boss wants you to stay on, then the guy/gal who will stay in moves ahead of you. Like it or not, that's the way of the working world, others will say that's crap and that merit and talent always wins out but most employers want that and a bit more.

Actually it's not! It's how the US/UK/IE work, but the rest of Europe does it differently - employers respect the work life balance. If our performance assessments working overtime on a regular basis is a very big negative and the manager will very swiftly receive a kick in the ass if he can't organised his team's workload within normal working hours.

Actually it's not! It's how the US/UK/IE work, but the rest of Europe does it differently - employers respect the work life balance. If our performance assessments working overtime on a regular basis is a very big negative and the manager will very swiftly receive a kick in the ass if he can't organised his team's workload within normal working hours.

That is a very different situation. How would the performance assessment of a team member pan out if they were asked to work 45mins overtime when a big contract had to be finished on a deadline, and they refused to stay beyond 5pm? Also, small companies with limited staff often need employees to work a little longer, the systems in place at a company like Intel are not the same as a small company with 10 employees struggling to stay afloat.

If he kissed the right assess, you might be the one who won't last. Depending in what needs to be done and how long it takes to do it, to say if it isn't done in 8hrs then you are not organised is, well naive. Sometimes you have to put your shoulder to the wheel if you want to get on, not only that, if you are clever enough, you can make sure your extra effort is noticed and appreciated. Your boss obviously plays the game better than you.

That makes me laugh.

Honestly if the only way you can get a head at your employers is pile on lots of unpaid overtime then it really is not much of a place to work. Over the past 30 years I've held several management positions at firms in mainland Europe and I never expected any of my team to work an hour beyond their contracted hours nor did I do overtime either.

At the end of the day it is just a job, not your life, or it least it should not be.

I've had (having one still I guess) careers. Retail and the legal profession. Not one person has got ahead in those professions without putting the time and graft in. In the legal profession I will eventually work for myself and that was part of the attraction in fairness.

I've worked in jobs with loads of people and - happy days - it's great but very few work places are big corporate jobbies with loads of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

@Davo10, if spending the guts of 12 hours a day breaking your back trying to climb the corporate ladder is something you aspire to then thats up to you but a huge number of people, myself included, just see work as a means to an end, to pay the bills and save money for non-work activities which are 100 times more important than who gets a promotion. Certainly im happy to be seen as a 9-5 person if it means i get more time with my family and friends. Companies will go on with or without you- time spent being happy can never be recalled.

OP, i understand your worry particularly as you are a new employee. I would advise you to just go for lunch for 30 minutes and if your boss says anything you can retort "Oh im sorry, i thought lunchtime was 12-1 (or whatever), did i get that wrong?", and if he says you have to work through lunch time then you have to make a decision as to whether this company is for you, because its unlikely they will care enough about your worries and just replace you. There ARE companies out there that dont expect you to spend 18 hours a day slaving away, believe it or not, you just have to keep on trying, perhaps stick this job for a few months and then hand in your notice when you find a new one.

OP, there will always be company men and women who live for the office/factory. If you arent one of them, and its fully understandable, then put this experience to one side and keep looking. Best of luck!

@Davo10, if spending the guts of 12 hours a day breaking your back trying to climb the corporate ladder is something you aspire to then thats up to you but a huge number of people, myself included, just see work as a means to an end, to pay the bills and save money for non-work activities which are 100 times more important than who gets a promotion. Certainly im happy to be seen as a 9-5 person if it means i get more time with my family and friends. Companies will go on with or without you- time spent being happy can never be recalled.

This is time specific as I said at the and I don't want to speak for Davo but I think he picked up on.

It's one thing to be happy being 9-5, as I say no lack of respect for anyone doing that. Some people have families young, drift in regards to promotions and then make it up later. Some go hell for leather when they young - OP is 21. Some are always content to do 9-5. I and others are merely suggesting that there is a time to cut your teeth and get down to it. I don't think anyone has suggested anyone sacrifice their health to do it.

At 21 I could have worked a 12 hour day, gone out got pissed done another 12 hour day and still have found a night's entertainment with some likely lass but that's just me. Now I'm fat and middle aged I can just about manage the long days but then I love what I do and that's the biggest element I think. So many people pick a job because they think it's lucrative, so few realise most things are lucrative if you love something and get good at it.

I suppose we agree on one point - be happy. If you're not do something else but don't expect the job and or profession to change.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

OP, being new to a job you obviously want to make a good impression but at the same time you're also setting a precedence for yourself and making it look like you will work long hours, take no breaks and basically run yourself into the ground.

A manager will pick up on this and depending what type they are will either

- Take advantage, milk you for every penny you're worth and abuse the situation

or

- They will realise that you will burn out, end up taking lots of sick leave and being less productive in the long run and or end up leaving due to having no life due to the level of work being piled on you and they will have to spend the time, effort and money to recruit and train your replacement.

My own approach would be firstly, take a decent lunch break away from your desk and one or two small breaks during the day where you run to the kitchen and grab a tea/coffee/drink and take 5-10 mins to relax.

Secondly, talk to your manager about the amount of work being sent your way, they may not even realise what's happening. Ask them for what gets priority and cover getting that done, after that its then a case of you managing your time.

Overtime is required in most jobs, but that's the odd time when deadlines for big projects are coming up fast or certain times of year, like for year end deadlines.

If you're doing endless hours of overtime for no pay or benefits then its just not worth it.

That is a very different situation. How would the performance assessment of a team member pan out if they were asked to work 45mins overtime when a big contract had to be finished on a deadline, and they refused to stay beyond 5pm? Also, small companies with limited staff often need employees to work a little longer, the systems in place at a company like Intel are not the same as a small company with 10 employees struggling to stay afloat.

Well first of all it does not happen, because if we are not going to meet a deadline the client would have been informed at least two or three days in advance - the vast majority of clients accept it and those that don't... well it is what it is. But if overtime is worked then it is either compensated or paid at a minimum of 125% and this applies to all grades of staff including senior management. So even when doing overtime you'll find very few if any management types around.

And yes the same rules apply to medium and small firms as well (I currently work for one) and they seem to get on just fine. In fact most people tend to work for such firms rather than multinationals.

I've had (having one still I guess) careers. Retail and the legal profession. Not one person has got ahead in those professions without putting the time and graft in. In the legal profession I will eventually work for myself and that was part of the attraction in fairness.

I've worked in jobs with loads of people and - happy days - it's great but very few work places are big corporate jobbies with loads of people.

Well funny enough I started out at one of the big 4 accounting firms in Dublin... but it did not take me long to realise that even those who 'made it' were still clocking crazy hours and to boot may had serious health problems. At the same time my colleagues in the German, Swiss and Austrian offices appeared to have a far better work-life balance. So I jumped ship.

Well funny enough I started out at one of the big 4 accounting firms in Dublin... but it did not take me long to realise that even those who 'made it' were still clocking crazy hours and to boot may had serious health problems. At the same time my colleagues in the German, Swiss and Austrian offices appeared to have a far better work-life balance. So I jumped ship.

Indeed - Don't get me wrong. The mainlanders have a better work culture.

What the F is a mainlander?

Mainland Europe

Like the Highlander but there is loads of um.

Mainland Europe

Do you use words like "going forward" too? 😒

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Do you use words like "going forward" too? 😒

He was thinking outside the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

First off all your health is priority. No question about it. It's important to take your breaks including lunch.

At 21 in a salaried office job with plenty of promotional opportunities I worked lots of overtime for no extra pay. At 21, fit and healthy I was well able for it. As another poster mentioned it allowed me to climb the ladder quite quickly to the point where I now don't have to work as many hours.

But again, you know you own health and that's what's most important.

I'm presuming you're in a Monday to Friday job with weekends off

Advertisement