Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assistant Engineer role in a County Council

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Barneyc wrote: »
    Say for one engineering position how many people would be intervied on average

Bit of a how long is a piece of string question.
    Every prospective candidate who meets the terms and conditions of the competition for the post- would be interviewed and a panel of X number of people constituted, from which the current vacant post would be filled.

I.e. if there is one post free- there might be 10 people interviewed for it, 3 placed on a panel, and the current free post offered to the highest person on the panel- and the two other candidates kept on the panel for future vacancies (normally for a set period of 2 years).

It depends on where the post is- and how many suitably qualified people decide to apply for it. But its entirely foreseeable that you could have a not insignificant number of people interviewed for the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭king_m

kceire wrote: »
    You will go in at the bottom of the scale unless you are already in a public service position paying more than the bottom point, in which case, you usually go in at the nearest point to your current salary plus one scale point

Hi Kceire (or any body else that may know),

Do you know where this can be seen in print or which circular it is , I am trying to find its exact location. As I have just started a tech 1 position this week and have been offered an assistant engineers position in my local authority, but i am being told i will have to start at the bottom of the pay scale where my current position is at the second/ third point of the pay scale of Assistant Engineer. So i am trying to save on two years work to get to my current pay scale.

King_M

• Registered Users Posts: 44 RockDaddy

Has there been any further update on experienced people entering Local Authority on a higher pay increment? I know SIPTU recommended it over a year ago to attract experienced people, as pay in the private sector is rising.

I have read somewhere else that in some cases your experience can allow you to be moved up the increments now, is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

RockDaddy wrote:
    I have read somewhere else that in some cases your experience can allow you to be moved up the increments now, is this true?

Not a chance..
    For example.. At Engineer level in my L.A. a recent recruit..with years experience in sector and a PhD started on the min...
    SIPTU may seek it but doubt it'll happen...

Zipppy wrote: »
    Not a chance..
    For example.. At Engineer level in my L.A. a recent recruit..with years experience in sector and a PhD started on the min...

Ok, seems ridiculous to be honest.

So if you don't enter the L.A as a graduate you will basically be back to square one if you do later in life!

I'm currently working in private sector, on reasonable salary, fuel allowance, all expenses and a healthy Christmas bonus! If I was offered the position, it would take me nearly a decade to get back up to my current salary!

• Advertisement

Zipppy wrote: »
    Not a chance..

However it does say "Entry to the scale shall be determined having regard to Department circulars".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭Alkers

RockDaddy wrote: »
    However it does say "Entry to the scale shall be determined having regard to Department circulars".

And normally the next line is a circular stating that all new entrants will be on the first increment for the position.

It basically translates that the best time to move from private to public is when you just meet the entry requirements, if you've twice the minimum experience your salary will likely be far more then the 1st point on the scale.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

RockDaddy wrote: »
    Ok, seems ridiculous to be honest.

So if you don't enter the L.A as a graduate you will basically be back to square one if you do later in life!

I'm currently working in private sector, on reasonable salary, fuel allowance, all expenses and a healthy Christmas bonus! If I was offered the position, it would take me nearly a decade to get back up to my current salary!

Exactly. Not exactly the gravy train the media would have the public believe over previous years is it.

Advertisement