Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK forces kill own citizens in Syria

Options
  • 07-09-2015 4:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

The British government authorised a drone attack on Reyaad Khan, a 21-year-old from Cardiff. Two other Isis fighters were killed in the attack on the Syrian city of Raqqa on 21 August. One of them, Ruhul Amin, was also British.“It was necessary and proportionate for the individual self-defence of the UK,” says PM Cameron
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/07/uk-forces-airstrike-killed-isis-briton-reyaad-khan-syria
    Is this state-sanctioned death penalty without trial? Extra-judicial murder by a western democracy?
    It strikes me as completely wrong, no matter what the individuals did.
    Where do you draw the line?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

If they are part of a war and on the enemies side then the fact they are British, Irish or Syrian doesnt matter.

They were killed in combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

snubbleste wrote: »

I draw the line at....traveling to a foreign country to join a bunch of religious extremists, who like to cut other people's heads off.

He had it coming....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The UK is not at war, though.
    This is the same as the KGB murdering a Russian citizen in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It most definitely is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

If we are cool with then bombing Syrians for doing terror, then we should also be cool with them bombing their British buddies for also doing the same terror.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

m'eh, live by it..., 72 virgins, etc.

thought story might be about innocents.

...not that they'd ever do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Yeah, it's not at all. These are just lunatics (Albeit, UK-born lunatics) going to fight with other lunatics.

Like when you have a rat problem. Do you care that they are Irish rats when killing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

3 down only couple of thousand left to go.
    Fcuk em. Sooner they're all gone the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

This surely does bring in legal issues though. It has no moral implications for me ( except that this very same government is culpable in the destruction of Syria) but legally this is an act of war or an extra judicial execution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The UK is not involved in Syria, UK parliament never authorised military in Syria.
    It's an extra-judicial killing of two citizens in the sovereign territory of another country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

This is nothing new, sure lovely cuddly Obama - most overrated president of the US ever, has also given orders to kill US citizens abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

It's a shame the death toll wasn't higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

RobertKK wrote: »
    This is nothing new, sure lovely cuddly Obama - most overrated president of the US ever, has also given orders to kill US citizens abroad.

He's effectively at war with 5 or 6 nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

If Britain wanted to bomb British Islamic extremists, it would be quicker to bomb Bradford & Tower Hamlets.

Less flying time needed.

I don't think taking out a British jihadi abroad is illegal, but it seems a grey area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭custard gannet

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/07/uk-forces-airstrike-killed-isis-briton-reyaad-khan-syria
    Is this state-sanctioned death penalty without trial? Extra-judicial murder by a western democracy?
    It strikes me as completely wrong, no matter what the individuals did.
    Where do you draw the line?

Given that the promise to withdraw the citizenship of Irish nationals found to be fighting over there was the usual load of populist pandering guff that Fine Gael had no intention of following through I wish we would send an army rangers unit out there to kill off the 30 or so passport holders apparently over there. If nothing else it would rustle the jimmies of the Halawa fanboys on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

They went to join ISIS. The reality is they should've expected it. In fact, I'd support more of these drone strikes if it stops just one person going out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

If Britain wanted to bomb British Islamic extremists, it would be quicker to bomb Bradford & Tower Hamlets.

Less flying time needed.

If that is fact can you cite a source please?

If that's meant to be a joke, it was in poor taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

petrolcan wrote: »
    If that is fact can you cite a source please.

It is a fact that there are Islamic extremists living in Britain

A fact so blindingly obvious the easiest source is: 'Google'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

THese individuals had renounced their citizenship. There death is on their own hands, as is the blood of all Isis's victims. Its sad that two youths had to end up like this however, it isn't remotely sad that they were killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I don't think you quite get how After Hours works.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 436 ✭✭Old Jakey

They were traitors to Britain and got what they deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭jaykay74

If that's meant to be a joke, it was in poor taste.

Think its more that a lot of his posts have a racist tone to them. He is not a racist obviously though to be clear.

There death is on their own hands.

That's a hell of a sentence.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Think its more that a lot of his posts have a racist tone to them. He is not a racist obviously though to be clear.

Yes, he clearly hates the race of Islam. The only race you can convert to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Saipanne wrote: »
    Yes, he clearly hates the race of Islam. The only race you can convert to.

Oh you thought I was referring to a specific post. Okay.

Saipanne wrote: »
    That's a hell of a sentence.

While not the finest English sentence ever written I am quite confident the meaning was clear to you, at the very least it ought to have been.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Oh you thought I was referring to a specific post. Okay.

I didn't realise you were talking to yourself.

Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭RayCon

fcuk 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It depends whether Cameron is telling the truth. If they were planning attacks against Britain, then it's somewhat justifiable. If they were fighting against Assad, then it's entirely unjustifiable - the West should be fighting against him as well, same as the God-awful military junta in Egypt, rather than arming them. The majority of the people in both countries have decided that they do not want either of those regimes ruling them.

• Advertisement

It depends whether Cameron is telling the truth. If they were planning attacks against Britain, then it's somewhat justifiable. If they were fighting against Assad, then it's entirely unjustifiable -

ISIS are fighting against Assad. Should we support them?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement