Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Irish People ready to pay for Refugees?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭SSLguru

Our grandchildren will never forgive us.

It's a shame this country used to be great , funny how on the 100th aniversary of the 1916 rising will concede with ireland committing cultural suicide.

All our forefathers fought hard for our land only for the future irish to be a minority and basically a 2nd class citizen in their own country.

They must be turning in their graves.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭thedumbone

jaykay74 wrote: »
    a youtube video with 171 views. Seriously ? :)

so what? does amount of views affects reality of it? lmao :pac::pac:

there you go, if that helps you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8X9oay_mo8
    with foreign subtitles

btw its the source from biggest **** media in poland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭jaykay74

SSLguru wrote: »
    Our grandchildren will never forgive us.

It's a shame this country used to be great , funny how on the 100th aniversary of the 1916 rising will concede with ireland committing cultural suicide.

All our forefathers fought hard for our land only for the future irish to be a minority and basically a 2nd class citizen in their own country.

They must be turning in their graves.

Why, what happened ?

thedumbone wrote: »
    so what? does amount of views affects reality of it? lmao :pac::pac:

with foreign subtitles

who is she ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

snubbleste wrote: »
    Rough figure? 5,000 -> 50,000 ?
    How much additional tax are you willing to pay?

The 1800 figure the Government say they are taking in is reasonable, any more than that I wouldn't be happy with.

• Advertisement

who is she ?

are you for real now or just playing dumb?
    does she look like a freaking refugee? does average refugee know how to speak english? holy ****...

just dont tell me its the first time you see peoples complying about refugees, i will just call you ignorant ^^

are you for real now or just playing dumb?
    does she look like a freaking refugee? does average refugee know how to speak english? holy ****...

No. I don't know who she is. Its an interview with someone not happy with refugees I thought since you sourced it you'd have the background on it to give it some context or...? Any newspaper articles to go with it or is it just the hearsay from the woman in question ?

Or is the propaganda from one side only ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Boskowski wrote: »
    Why would you say 'with Germany'. Do you think that Germany should deal alone with all those refugees? They are here (Europe), thats a reality. Are we going to drive them back into the sea? Or leave the countries with a shore to the Med alone with the problem? Or the country that blinks first (Germany)?

They don't have to be here. When Turkey intercepts their boats they send them back. The migrants recover enough to try again soon after. Basically they keep trying until they get rescued by Greek boats. If the Greek boats didn't bring them back then they would give up. The EU is not responsible for every poor person in the world. If we stop giving asylum and benefits they won't come. Saying it's inevitable they will come is not true but media propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

The 1800 figure the Government say they are taking in is reasonable, any more than that I wouldn't be happy with.

the 500 Bosnians that ireland took in the 90s turned to 5000 when there families came.so we're going to end up with thousands of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Jjiipp79

Vile people should be left where they belong!
    When the crime starts I hope the do- gooders get raped and robbed first!

Mod:
    Banned.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Joan Burton says ~5,000 with no upper limit
    Brendan Howlin says a proportionate amount relative to our EU size, if Germany has 800k (1% pop), ergo Ireland would be seeking 45k

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Malpaisian

Refugees are more important than bank debt.

You are conflating two different issues.

the 500 Bosnians that ireland took in the 90s turned to 5000 when there families came.so we're going to end up with thousands of them.

Wow 5000 Bosnians. Thats a lot on fairness. Too much I think.

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/census/documents/census2011profile6/Profile,6,Migration,and,Diversity,entire,doc.pdf

I mean according to the census in 2011 (linked above) there are between 201 and 1000 Bosnians in Ireland. Where you getting your stats from for 5000 ? Youtube I suppose :pac: Perhaps they were hiding under the bed.

No. I don't know who she is. Its an interview with someone not happy with refugees I thought since you sourced it you'd have the background on it to give it some context or...? Any newspaper articles to go with it or is it just the hearsay from the woman in question ?

Or is the propaganda from one side only ?

i clearly stated that it was broadcasted in polish TV by TVN24, there is no online news about it, the source is from DE RTL TV/x-news

what else sir? shoe number of the cameraman?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

... according to the census in 2011 (linked above) there are between 201 and 1000 Bosnians in Ireland. Where you getting your stats from for 5000 ? Youtube I suppose :pac: Perhaps they were hiding under the bed.
    The Census is not really accurate. A significant chunk would have applied for Irish citizenship.

i clearly stated that it was broadcasted in polish TV by TVN24

No you didn't! You didn't clearly state that at all. Unless clearly stated means sonething else to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

No you didn't! You didn't clearly state that at all. Unless clearly stated means sonething else to you.
    so what? does amount of views affects reality of it? lmao pacman.gifpacman.gif

with foreign subtitles

yes, I did...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Wow 5000 Bosnians. Thats a lot on fairness. Too much I think.

How can it be too much when you don't even realise the amount that's here?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭daedal

Refugees yes, economic migrants no.. everybody is claiming to be a refugee its in fashion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭vagazzled

This thread is so depressing.
    I live next door to a small family of Syrians, they have been my neighbours for 15 years. During the boom, my neighbour ran 2 businesses , employing Irish, Polish, etc. If any of you people knew Muslims, you would know that the vast majority are kind, hospitable, generous and friendly people, and are not involved in crime.
    An initiative was set up in Germany in Nov 2014, whereby a family / houseshare with a spare room welcomes a refugee (alone or with family, depending on accom) so they don't have to live in ghettoised areas or dormitories. Thereby eliminating that problem - plus they learn German from their hosts. I hope a similar scheme is set up in Ireland.
    I think it's time we realised how lucky we are and reached out to these people who desperately need help.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    How can it be too much when you don't even realise the amount that's here?

Too much because its overstated. There are less than 5000 Bosnians in Ireland.

vagazzled wrote: »
    This thread is so depressing.
    I live next door to a small family of Syrians, they have been my neighbours for 15 years. During the boom, my neighbour ran 2 businesses , employing Irish, Polish, etc. If any of you people knew Muslims, you would know that the vast majority are kind, hospitable, generous and friendly people, and are not involved in crime.
    An initiative was set up in Germany in Nov 2014, whereby a family / houseshare with a spare room welcomes a refugee (alone or with family, depending on accom) so they don't have to live in ghettoised areas or dormitories. Thereby eliminating that problem - plus they learn German from their hosts. I hope a similar scheme is set up in Ireland.
    I think it's time we realised how lucky we are and reached out to these people who desperately need help.

I work with Syrians and Bosnians here in Sweden and they are grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

Too much because its overstated. There are less than 5000 Bosnians in Ireland.

maybe they applied for citizenship.in the paper yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

I don't feel we have an obligation to take any refugees, but I feel that the overseas aid lobby and government spin doctors are waging a very effective campaign to create a groundswell of opinion in the media, to suggest that we do have such an obligation. I also feel that as usual Enda and co are being pressured by the Germans and to a lesser extent France, into agreeing to take far more relatively than we should, with suggestions that we might take 5,000(though Joan Burton now says there is no upper limit), at a time when Britain says it might take 4,000 and many of the smaller Eastern European countries not seemingly committing themselves to take any.

At the time of the banking crisis, we bit the bullet, took one for Europe and bailed out the banks to the tune of €64bn. If we had burned the bondholders, as we should, then French and German banks would have lost tens of billions and their governments may have had to bail them out, but we took that debt on ourselves, as good Europeans. Excluding the €20.1bn from the National Pension Reserve Fund, Ireland shouldered 43% of the net cost of the banking crisis across the EU, despite having just 1% of the EU population.

Now just a few years later, Europe (Germany/France) are back again, having saved German and French banks billions, they now want more from us and it seems that Enda and co are prepared to capitulate. I even see Enda giving tacit support to the idea of mandatory refugee quotas being set by the EU for each country, when with immigration being such a hot political issue in the UK at present, any EU forced refugee quota for the UK is virtually certain to result in the UK voting to leave the UK next year.

Finally, why is it that despite all the talk about how the Irish people support Ireland taking thousands of refugees and how Ireland has to lead the way, the only centre that has been announced so far to receive these refugees(the first 500) is situated in Monasterevin(pop 3710) in Kildare rather than in Dublin, Offaly, Cork, Limerick or Mayo(the counties of the ministers involved in making the decision) ? Surely if the decision is that popular, every minister would want them in his constituency and yet, they are to be located, without any consultations with local people, in a county that doesn't have a government minister(senior or junior) ? And how can any community in the country trust what the government says on this issue, Monasterevin was announced on Aug 26th as the location of a processing centre that 70 people at a time would be staying at, before they were to be moved to one of six other locations, now just days later, the number has swelled to 500 and Monasterevin is now to be home to these people(no mention of processing). It looks as though Kildare needs its own minister. If you live in a small town in a county(I think there are 12) that doesn't currently have a government minister, watch out.

What about, next time a government minister fancies creating headlines about taking in refugees, building new dumps to take waste from other counties, new electric pylons etc. he/she has to agree to it in their own constituency too. Would Enda be so enthusiastic if 1,000 Syrian refugees were to be housed in a small town in Mayo instead of Kildare ? The same applies to Frances Fitzgerald, Charlie Flanagan, Alan Kelly, Simon Coveney, Joan Burton, Leo Varadkar and all the other ministers that have taken to the media in recent days, to make the case for Ireland taking thousands of refugees.

You don't have a clue. I live here. Stick to the interwebs.

unfortunately I do, just because I don't live there doesn't mean I know nothing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_in_Sweden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Lord Riverside

There is opportunity here for Ireland.
    It should be easy for the Irish authorities to calculate how many refugees Ireland can comfortably sustain. If the will was there, Irish officials could actively go to the camps in europe and screen and recruit the cream of the refugees for our own county, i.e. those who are skilled and experienced in areas we need from surgeons, to nurses, to car mechanics etc., and are willing and able to work. People who want to enhance Ireland for both them and us.

Instead though, we'll make a total clusterfck of it as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

chenwc wrote: »
    Irish people refuse to pay for water charge, but are they willing to pay for refugees?

As per the forum charter, please do not start threads with the first thought that came into your head.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

you don't want Ireland to become 2nd Sweden. Sweden is lost already..

here's classic NSFW

https://img.4plebs.org/boards/pol/image/1401/30/1401308949176.jpg

You clearly havent read the charter. This breaches several rules, not least that it is racist, ignorant and completely off topic. Banned.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement