Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Irish People ready to pay for Refugees?

Options
  • 06-09-2015 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Irish people refuse to pay for water charge, but are they willing to pay for refugees?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

And who will pay for the refugees water?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭thedumbone

316 wrote: »
    And who will pay for the refugees water?

of course we will !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭The Masculinist

Are we ready to pay for the clean up at their accommodation?

Pictures from a Hungarian bus used to transport immigrants to the Austrian border. The drive only takes 1hr 40mins.

YsF3HL.jpg

9wg0I1.jpg

dLzUKd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

chenwc wrote: »
    Irish people refuse to pay for water charge, but are they willing to pay for refugees?

Refugees are more important than bank debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Im not personally, if we are to take them in the money should be taken from the foreign aid budget.

I'm getting pretty sick of all the charity bosses and lobbie groups declaring that's were not doing enough while their all on high saleries and in my opinion are only trying to strengthen their respective organisations and position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

As usual I'd say, some are and some aren't.
    Would be interesting to see whether the two groups are largely overlapping. Would be interesting to see also whether the demographic group that - let's say - are beneficiaries of solidarity are the ones that come out with 'lets look after our own first' or will there be no connection at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

No their not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Joan Brutan AKA Angela Éire has stated that there is no upward limit on how much it will cost the taxpayers.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/no-upper-limit-on-number-of-refugees-ireland-will-take-1.2341813
    “The Government has had a number of detailed discussions, particularly the decision to send the navy and the decision to accept whatever number we are asked to accept.”

Asked what the figure would be, Ms Burton said it would be “the figure that we need to take”.

“It could be 5,000, I wouldn’t like to put an upper limit on it.”

The Tánaiste said the Office of Public Works are examining empty properties where the refugees could be housed.
    How many empty properties are around the country that would be suitable and don't require millions of Euro in renovations and fitting out for refugees? There are a few Army barracks but are there any other suitable places? The Hazel Hotel in Monasterevin worked out very well because the area is serviced hourly be the Dublin Coach N7 service serving Kildare Naas and Newbride as well as the Red Cow Luas stop, Are there other closed hotels with good public transport links that could be bought up cheaply and used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

Will ireland be taking refugees from the war zone or people who are in europe already does anyone know?

When we're talking about taking them in are we talking about people who are on granted asylum status already and will be here for longer or even here to stay or are we talking people that have to go through the process yet and may be sent back home?

Its such a tough isn't it? We (we as in all of Europe) can't turn our backs on them but if we make it too easy we're basically inviting Tom, Dick and Harry to get on the way. It's a no win situation really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

They will have to increase the dole.

316 wrote: »
    They will have to increase the dole.

Why would you say that? That would be madness for various other reasons wouldn't it? Then you'd also have to increase minimum wage and that would kick off a whole other spiral of things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Are Irish people ready to pay for Irish homeless?
    Apparently so - stick them in a hostel, hotel, B&B for years. Turn a blind eye. So many people are in limbo because of the housing crisis here, lives destroyed, there is very little political leadership on the issue and a general unwillingness to tackle the issue, even on a grassroots level.

There are ~600 new Irish citizens stuck in direct provision because they have nowhere to go.

Why is there a political willingness to accept refugees from the current migrant crisis without any apparent forethought?
    And no, I don't want to pay higher taxes to resettle refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭toptom

No we have too many here, How will they pay their way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

If they already landed in a European country before coming to Ireland aren't they technically migrants? Will they be able to claim asylum here? What are we going to do about the inevitable "ghettos" that will spring up from housing several hundred unemployable migrants in one area? What about the crime increase that will occur around these areas? Are there facilities to teach them English?

All of these questions and no answers. It worries me that there is no plan in place to deal with these people and their needs. It seems to be a case of just get them here to win political favor with the masses and with Germany, and then we'll ignore the social issues that go with the influx of several thousands of displaced people. Irish thinking at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Is there facilities to teach them English?

I could see this being a problem alright :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,274 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It's not a question of getting to pick one or the other, both have to be paid for.

Regarding the original question yes most of us are prepared to foot the bill for a reasonable amount of refugees, but I'm not willing to pay for economic migrants.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I could see this being a problem alright :pac:

Happy?

If they already landed in a European country before coming to Ireland aren't they technically migrants? Will they be able to claim asylum here? What are we going to do about the inevitable "ghettos" that will spring up from housing several hundred unemployable migrants in one area? What about the crime increase that will occur around these areas? Are there facilities to teach them English?

All of these questions and no answers. It worries me that there is no plan in place to deal with these people and their needs. It seems to be a case of just get them here to win political favor with the masses and with Germany, and then we'll ignore the social issues that go with the influx of several thousands of displaced people. Irish thinking at its finest.

why would they want to learn english ? They got dole. It's enough for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

We can't even look after our own citizens so I don't think we should be accepting any refugees. However, because we are part the EU we will have to take some by Law. The least amount we can get away with the better I believe.

• Advertisement

thedumbone wrote: »

You think the grads want to watch sky sports sitting on their hole ?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/05/cameron-moral-failure-refugees-europe

He added: “Mrs Merkel’s position was not just a message of EU cohesion, but was also an intelligent proposal for the German economy because Syrian immigrants are appropriate to the German needs – the shrinking of population and the need for skills – 40% of the Syrians are graduates.”

thedumbone wrote: »

I'll bite but I sense a troll. They might want to actually integrate into the country if they are going to be here a while. I don't see the Syrian situation being resolved in the near future.

Why would you say 'with Germany'. Do you think that Germany should deal alone with all those refugees? They are here (Europe), thats a reality. Are we going to drive them back into the sea? Or leave the countries with a shore to the Med alone with the problem? Or the country that blinks first (Germany)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Regarding the original question yes most of us are prepared to foot the bill for a reasonable amount of refugees, but I'm not willing to pay for economic migrants.
    Rough figure? 5,000 -> 50,000 ?
    How much additional tax are you willing to pay?

Boskowski wrote: »
    Why would you say 'with Germany'. Do you think that Germany should deal alone with all those refugees? They are here (Europe), thats a reality. Are we going to drive them back into the sea? Or leave the countries with a shore to the Med alone with the problem? Or the country that blinks first (Germany)?

Not at all, just Germany seems to be the most vocal about letting large numbers of refugees into Europe. I think the gulf states and the Americans need to do their bit too. Particularly since you could argue the (current) destabilization of the Middle East goes back to the most recent invasion of Iraq.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    You think the grads want to watch sky sports sitting on their hole ?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/05/cameron-moral-failure-refugees-europe

He added: “Mrs Merkel’s position was not just a message of EU cohesion, but was also an intelligent proposal for the German economy because Syrian immigrants are appropriate to the German needs – the shrinking of population and the need for skills – 40% of the Syrians are graduates.”

thats pretty lame excuse for taking that many refugees, dont you see its a ****ing propaganda?

maybe lets look at no biased facts, huh?

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-0/p600x600/11222424_1642637782651545_5489929824780660735_n.jpg?oh=076836ee31efeedc2688e3ef59a6726f&oe=56603CA8

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/11225209_877332962346895_4623708925287242773_n.jpg?oh=06402e1f211883c9a2937793eba3b8f9&oe=567C9423

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9yDf7uIDQo

We can't even look after our own citizens so I don't think we should be accepting any refugees. However, because we are part the EU we will have to take some by Law. The least amount we can get away with the better I believe.

I think we are looking after our own as well as we can in the circumstances. There is a housing problem, but it cannot be sorted overnight.
    Turning our backs on those unfortunates is not an option. We Irish have emigrated, fled famine and poverty over the centuries. Now it is our turn to hold out the hand to others.

I'll bite but I sense a troll. They might want to actually integrate into the country if they are going to be here a while. I don't see the Syrian situation being resolved in the near future.

yes :pac: stop being naive

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/11988254_1647781372158956_7219695772812488871_n.jpg?oh=642bdfa96182d6f8c3386f5bb0e0e6f6&oe=565FA665

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

I can't see them integrating like they should if they are to housed together in what will inevitably become crime ridden ghettos if they are left to their own devices , do we need an extra 5000 people who can't work and who will eventually become bored , disenfranchised and anti social if the proper measures are not put in place to tackle language barriers , cultural , religious and social differences.

And what if we do take in 5000 refugees , what happens when they start to breed , do we put restrictions on birth rates , provide social housing to single mothers (once the discover how to work the welfare system ) clog up hospital and maternity beds in our already creaking hospitals , put more pressure on schools in the area they will be housed when such schools are incapable of coping with the already over packed classrooms as it is ?

We need to go into this with eyes wide open , not just because Joan thinks it will go down well with Angela in Berlin to come out publicly and agree with the collective political mindset that seems to be prevalent in relation to the refugee crisis

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement