Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms licensing help required

Options
  • 05-09-2015 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭

Hello,I'm just looking for a bit of information regarding obtaining a Firearms certificate here in Ireland (Dublin area)
    I have read the article at the top of the "Firearms licensing information" thread at the top of the page but I still have some confusion regarding some of the forums that are required to be filled out. It seems that alot of the links to the PDF's on the Gardai website are out of date.

I'm looking to get both a .22lr rifle and a 12 gauge shotgun for range/clay pigeon use,I would also like to get into the hunting scene somewhere along the lines.

But anyway,I'm looking for someone to point me in the right direction to get started.
    Where exactly do I start the process?
    Do I need to do a firearms training course? if so,what one and where can I do it?
    (By no means am I "New" to firearms,I'v been shooting and hunting in the past )
    Any other information would be greatly appreciated,Thanks :)

I'm not asking for someone to hold my hand through the process,just looking for someone to set me in the right directions...All help is greatly appreciated,Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Firstly welcome to the dark side :)
    I live in tallaght and I've permission to hunt from two landowners and clean record and no mad medical history
    I put on my reasons that it was for vermin control and a general pastime that I've done with my father since I was very young. Didn't take me long to obtain it for my shotgun and even shorter time when I got my .223 rifle
    Have you any history at all with firearms or anything?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Welcome to the shooting forum.
    Digy123 wrote: »
    Where exactly do I start the process?
    To apply for a license you need to complete the FCA1 application form. To get started in shooting well pull up a seat. :D

Welcome to the shooting forum.

You need to be a member of an authorised range if you intend to do target shooting. Also you need to decide what type of shooting appeals to you. There are dozens of disciplines some with very specific calibers, and others with open calibers meaning any cakiber of firearm can be used.

You need to look at the type of shooting you would like to do. Here are a few;
    • F-Class
    • .22lr benchrest
    • Gallery
    • Rimfire pistol
    • Sporting
    • Vintage
    Once you have chosen your desired sport you must choose an appropriate caliber to compete with. Your options would be a rifle of one of the following calibers;
    • .22lr
    • 6.5x284
    • 7mm WSM
    There are literally dozens of other calibers but these would be a good mix of target calibers suitable for the few disciplines named above.

Next step is to pick a firearm. Go to as many dealers as you can. Do not rush the decision. Its can be a long enough process to get the license so you cannot pick choose, change your mind, pick choose change your mind once the license process has begun.
    Go out and try as many makes/models of the caliber you would most like, but keep an open mind to other calibers as sometimes you end up buying a caliber you did not intend to buy.

Once ypu have a rifle, caliber, make/model choosen you then need to apply for a license. The red announcement at the top of the main shooting page will give you all the basics. Anything else you need can be asked here. In short you need;
    1. An FCA1 (application form)
    2. Letter of sale from dealer with firearm details
    3. Photos x 2
    4. Referees to vouch for your character x 2
    5. Medical details
    6. Range details including membership number and copy of membership card.
    7. Seperate sheet of paper with an explanation as to why you want this firearm plus explanations for a mod (silencer) if you choose to get one.
    8. A witness to sign the application.
    9. All secure acomodation requirements in place as there is a box you must tick to say you have them in place.
    The applcaition can take from 4 weeks to 3 months, and some have even waited up to a year for their license. It is meant to be done within a 3 month time period, but this does not always happen depending on which Garda district you are in.

Once a decision has been made you will receive a receipt letter followed shortly after by a grant letter (if successful) to say you have been granted the license. You can take this and pay your €80 at the post office and within 3-5 day your license will arrive in the post. You can do as some do and use the grant letter, and receipt of payment at the post office to show your license is on the way, but for the sake of a couple of days i don't personally see the need.

You collect your firearm, and enjoy your shooting.
    Do I need to do a firearms training course? if so,what one and where can I do it?
    For a first time licensee, yes. Any rifle range, some organisations, and some firearms dealers do them. Under my post you'll see a link to a list of ranges. Click on it and find one close to you then ring them and they can help you get a course done.

Hope this kick starts you in the right direction.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

^^^^^ yeah what he said

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Digy123

Thanks for the information mate :)
    Just in regards to the FCA1
    in section 1 under application type it says "Firearm Certificate" and "Training Firearm Certificate"
    I'm just wondering if this is relevant to someone getting their first Firearms Certificate.

I'm guessing I should do the training course BEFORE I file for the FCA1?

Section 2.3 under character referees,what should I be putting here? (I'm not entirely sure what this section is,sorry :rolleyes:

Section 2.5 is just where I would put the names of the courses I have done that relate to Firearms?

Section 5 - In relation to hunting which is something I'm interested in doing :) Do I just need permission from one land owner? It does say "Attach relevant license from wildlife...." So im guessing that requires application for another license entirely?

And finally,am I required to print the FCA1 out or can I find a copy at my local gardai station?

Sorry for all the questions,I'm just finding the FCA1 forum to be a little,unclear...It seems that I have to do know the exact firearm I want before filling out the forum? Also,If I want to buy another Firearm down the line,do I fill out another FCA1 again for that firearm?
    Thank you for your help and sorry for all the questions...Just want to make sure I don't mess up the process :o

Thanks for the information mate :)
    Just in regards to the FCA1
    in section 1 under application type it says "Firearm Certificate" and "Training Firearm Certificate"
    I'm just wondering if this is relevant to someone getting their first Firearms Certificate.
    Training certificate is only applicable to someone that wants to license a firearm that is already licensed by someone else for the purpose of learning the craft of shooting/fieldsport. Usually it's aimed at under 16's that cannot have a full firearms license themselves.
    I'm guessing I should do the training course BEFORE I file for the FCA1?
    Yup. You'll have to attach the certificate of competency with the FCA1.
    Section 2.3 under character referees,what should I be putting here? (I'm not entirely sure what this section is,sorry :rolleyes:
    Two people that can vouch for your character. Make sure it's someone you can rely on as they most likely will be contacted when your application is being processed.
    Section 2.5 is just where I would put the names of the courses I have done that relate to Firearms?
    Yes. Generally you can write "See attached certificate".
    Section 5 - In relation to hunting which is something I'm interested in doing :) Do I just need permission from one land owner? It does say "Attach relevant license from wildlife...." So im guessing that requires application for another license entirely?
    You need a minimum of two (2) landowners. As for licenses this only applies to deer as your firearms license allows you to shoot game during their open season .A list of those seasons can be found here.
    And finally,am I required to print the FCA1 out or can I find a copy at my local gardai station?
    Either one. Whatever is easiest. I just print them myself. Saves a drive.
    It seems that I have to do know the exact firearm I want before filling out the forum?
    Yup.

You need the make, model, serial number, and a letter from the seller/dealer to say he has the gun in stock and that you are buying it from him. You must attach this dealers letter with your FCA1.
    Also,If I want to buy another Firearm down the line,do I fill out another FCA1 again for that firearm?
    Yup.

You need to apply for each firearm individually as it's the guns that are licensed and not the person.
    Thank you for your help and sorry for all the questions...Just want to make sure I don't mess up the process :o
    No bother at all.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

With regards to character referee I got the local priest and my rugby coach to put down as referees. Never got the phone call but put it down anyway.
    Don't think family members can be used.
    I was a camp leader at local community holiday camp in knockadoon for years so being a member of the community would help aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭freddieot

Family members can be used, no problem. .Only serving members of AGS cannot be used..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭lakesider

I was a camp leader at local community holiday camp in knockadoon for years so
    being a member of the community would help aswell

Isnt everyone a member of the community?:confused:

Thanks for all the help so far lads,I'm currently trying to decide which Gun Club I should go with,after some research this seems like a decent choice... http://www.courtlough.ie/membership/
    It's a bit far from my location (Inchicore,Dublin) but they do a firearms competency course for members and I believe that might help me obtain a certificate.

Also,If I'm reading it correctly they offer Junior/Student membership (16-21 years old) €75
    Being 18 i'd fall under this category,just wondering if anyone has any suggestions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭oldtart

lakesider wrote: »
    Isnt everyone a member of the community?:confused:

Not all are "camp", some are butch members of the community.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭lakesider

oldtart wrote: »
    Not all are "camp", some are butch members of the community.

so thats why it helps to be a "camp leader":D especially at the community holiday camp of knockadoon..now im getting it.

Thanks for all the help so far lads,I'm currently trying to decide which Gun Club I should go with,after some research this seems like a decent choice... http://www.courtlough.ie/membership/
    It's a bit far from my location (Inchicore,Dublin) but they do a firearms competency course for members and I believe that might help me obtain a certificate.
    Your two choices, if trying to stay local, would be Courtlough and Eagles clubs. Both would provide you with the training, courses, and start you need to get into shooting. They are both ranges so it's not a game club. Courtlough would be better if you intend to go for a shotgun, but the Eagles is closer.

You can check all ranges by using this thread.
    Also,If I'm reading it correctly they offer Junior/Student membership (16-21 years old) €75
    Being 18 i'd fall under this category,just wondering if anyone has any suggestions :)
    It seems so.

You have to look at it form usage point of view. Closeness is important, but join a range that is so far from you that you only make a couple of visits a year is pointless. Pay for the one that suits you best in terms of facilities and what will give you the best return. Membership fee should be the last consideration as shooting is a sport that requires constant injections of cash to keep at it.

Plus when you factor in the price of the gun, safe, ammo, etc, etc. the range fee may not be the largest outlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭mcbain087

Brilliant and comprehensive info by Cass as usual.

The only thing I would suggest is to arrange a meeting with your FAO or Super to discuss "their" requirements before applying for a firearm licence. I went through the process recently and even though I complied completely and the membership to a club wasn't a requirement I was still required to join one.
    Your FAO / Super may have particular extras they require, if you get these sorted it may avoid unnecessary delays.
    Good luck in your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

If you live in Inchicore, The Eagles are probably handiest to you. You will need a car of your own or someone reliable to get you there. Car insurance for an 18yo puts club fees in perspective!
    On the offchance you are in college, some of the Dublin universities have target clubs- yours might too.

Sound for the help lads! Think I have it from here on :)
    Your a great bunch,more help than I could have ever hoped for :)

I'm not too worried about the investment,Iv'e a good bit of savings stockpiled up for this :D

Hopefully I can get everything in order in a month or two and enjoy the sport :cool:

Again,Many thanks lads!

If you need anything along the way give any of the lads a shout here.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cheapskate

Hi, I just posted on another thread 'shooting on your own property' I guess I should have read this thread before posting as its more relevant to my questioni noticed on this thread you mention the Eagles club, this is the club I referred to as not accepting new members, well thats at least what it states on their website and they dont provide any contact details either.
    Id be interested in looking at the range, doing the introduction course and possibly joining too if membership was open but there is no way of contacting them, do you have an email address of the secretary maybe?
    Thanks,
    Cheapskate

If you cannot make contact via phone, e-mail, website then the only option is to take a drive up.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cheapskate

Thanks Cass, however they also dont provide info on the website as to their location, I only know that they are a club from west dublin somewhere!? Beginning to wonder if they operate out of some de-commissioned underground bunker or something

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If you don't have any success with Eagles, Harbour House is a range that is less than an hour from Dublin. It is based just outside Athy, Co. Kildare.

www.harbourhouseshooting.com

email info@harbourhouseshooting.com

• Advertisement

cheapskate wrote: »
    Thanks Cass, however they also dont provide info on the website as to their location, I only know that they are a club from west dublin somewhere!?

The thread i linked to above has all ranges around the country. In the "Dublin" section you'll see all the details about the range including contact info, GPS location, address, etc.

I was a member of the Eagles some 24+ years ago. The range hasn't changed much since then other than a pistol range being installed. I only mentioned it because it's close to the OP.

If you have transport then Harbour, as said above, may be better in terms of facilities. As i said to the OP look through the list in the Range Thread to find which range suits in terms of location, facilities, cost, etc, and then make a decision on which suits.

Plus, and i only say it to be 100% clear, these are ranges.

Advertisement