Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish Lotto Changes Today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Dubwat

I'd 'play' or spend €4 on the Lotto. €4 was 'coins'/spare change so I didn't mind spending it. I never bought a ticket with paper money (€5 or €10 notes), just the spare change in my pocket.

But now it's a fiver for the same Lotto but with worse odds. No thanks! I know it's only an extra euro & it's stupid but a fiver just tips me mentally into 'that's real money' so I shouldn't gamble it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I think the logic behind it is that the less chance of jackpot wins the higher the jackpot becomes, so occasional players are more likely to play for very high jackpots rather than 2 or 3 million euro wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

No joke, I've been doing a line on the main Irish lotto for approximately 20 years, the same numbers like a gambler thinking they might come in. They never came in except for 4 numbers and I think it was €56 at the time. I might just keep these old numbers and stick with them and get rid off the other lines. Crazy thinking indeed, but 20 years doing these same numbers.

This attachment of these particular line of numbers I have been doing is as such an attachment. I have them memorised after so long and if I stop doing them and they came up ? lol, off to the looney asylum for me. I need a brain memory-wipe of these numbers to forget them. I can give up the rest of the lines but not these ancient numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Tonight I won €30 for matching 4 numbers on the main draw
    On Wednesday the old system 4 no's would have won me €56 just mean :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

4 no's at the bookies^, and you'd have around 7,500 per euro staked.
    A relative got 5 and was one away from the final one, only got a monkey.
    monkey=500

n.b. ^To achieve this can only pick 4 that must come from the 6.
    Rather than picking 6 and getting 4 or them, with two to spare.
    Same but very different.

The UK lotto has also gone to the dogs, higher prices and more numbers.
    those Retired Teachers must be living it up big time stylee at Vegas.

• Advertisement

123balltv wrote: »
    Tonight I won €30 for matching 4 numbers on the main draw
    On Wednesday the old system 4 no's would have won me €56 just mean :(

It all depends on how many folk got 4 numbers collectively. So if not many folk got 4 numbers your win will be bigger.

So much for that big gaff on the beach. Sure who was going to win it on the last day of quitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

I got 3 numbers tonight for a win of €7 on the main draw UP from €5 from Wednesdays draw. Needless to say the same win in the bookies would have been much much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

I didn't know it was changing. Thought it already changed.

I play it once every few weeks. Don't win it, give up for a few weeks and chance it again.

I chanced it again today. Checked in on after hours now which reminds me to check my numbers. Be right back.

Edit: Checked my numbers.

Congratulations, you're a winner popped up on the screen. My heart almost skipped a beat until i scrolled down. I won a €3 scratch card.

Back to my miserable life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

lycan238 wrote: »
    I got 3 numbers tonight for a win of €7 on the main draw UP from €5 from Wednesdays draw. Needless to say the same win in the bookies would have been much much more.

But you do need to say that you are writing about two different games with much, much different odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hurlsey

Done with the "Irish lotto", I still play euromillions, although what are the odds of winning on a euromillions ticket?

• Advertisement

Time for a change. Quick-picks all the way on the Euro-Millions, fcuk the Irish lotto. There will be a very tiny news-clip about this inflation of the lotto prices during the next week or two, but it will be a blip and folk will continue on paying regardless. I hope it's not this way with the coming elections. Never forget your lotto numbers and never forget the lies. Maybe next time.

4 no's at the bookies^, and you'd have around 7,500 per euro staked.
    A relative got 5 and was one away from the final one, only got a monkey.
    monkey=500

n.b. ^To achieve this can only pick 4 that must come from the 6.
    Rather than picking 6 and getting 4 or them, with two to spare.
    Same but very different.

The UK lotto has also gone to the dogs, higher prices and more numbers.
    those Retired Teachers must be living it up big time stylee at Vegas.
    But you do need to say that you are writing about two different games with much, much different odds.

Yes dxhound2005 two different games. My win was in the shop bought lotto whereas the bookies lotto is different as Emmy Thundering Frost explained above.

Still getting x4 correctly (via any method) is a world away from getting a straight 6.

Another option to consider is picking 4 from the 7 drawn,
    yes 7!, you can include the use of the bonus ball for picking 3/4/5.

Choosing from 7 reduces the win from around 7,500 down to 3,800.
    The +1 & +2 draws aren't included, unless you want them also.
    Bookies will usually accept as little as .50 as a stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Wonder how many people that go on about "idiot/stupidity tax" and such, are smokers? Now if ever there was a way to get stupid people to spend their money.....

The odds of getting rich from smoking are a tad worse than the lotto, but you've decent odds a killer disease and you get to smell. Whats not to like.

hurlsey wrote: »
    Done with the "Irish lotto", I still play euromillions, although what are the odds of winning on a euromillions ticket?

1 in 13 for a prize of some sort apparently. 1 in 116 million of the jackpot,, so giving up the Irish lotto in favour of the euromillions because of the odds isnt really a smart choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Wonder how many people that go on about "idiot/stupidity tax" and such, are smokers? Now if ever there was a way to get stupid people to spend their money.....

The odds of getting rich from smoking are a tad worse than the lotto, but you've decent odds a killer disease and you get to smell. Whats not to like.

But smokers aren't doing it to get rich. The two aren't mutually exclusive either. I know smokers who play lotto. Oh, and people who never smoked and died young. And non smokers who smelled.

But smokers aren't doing it to get rich. The two aren't mutually exclusive either. I know smokers who play lotto. Oh, and people who never smoked and died young. And non smokers who smelled.

None of that is the point. Calling someone an idiot for spending their money on the lotto while you sped yours on smoking is more than a little bit laughable.

None of that is the point. Calling someone an idiot for spending their money on the lotto while you sped yours on smoking is more than a little bit laughable.

One idiot calling another idiot an idiot doesn't mean they're not both idiots and the first idiots opinion of the second idiot may well be sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

Is there any impact on the number of people doing the lotto since the hike last Saturday week?

Anything reported in the news/figures/data?

Is there any impact on the number of people doing the lotto since the hike last Saturday week?

Anything reported in the news/figures/data?

I'd imagine it would be a few months at least before turnover is reported.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭acb121

Actually ....

You can work out how EXACTLY many tickets were bought by looking at the prize payout !

Reverse engineering if you like.

Im gonna have a look !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭acb121

I have rounded a few figures up or down;

( technique to work ANY lottery sales out )

The main Irish Lotto Prize Fund is 52% of gross revenue.

The Irish Lotto Prize Fund allocates to the 46.16% for the Jackpot.

Simply put, the Jackpot of the Irish Lotto is 46.16% of 52% of 100% monetary value of tickets sold.

As with most lotteries, this is PLUS ANY EXISTING ROLLOVER.

If there is no rollover it is a simple equation. A rollover just adds 1 extra sum.

On 9th September the Jackpot was €5,672,580

However it was not won, so it rolled over.

The rollover from 9th September was €5,672,580

On 12th September the Jackpot was €6,282,846

€ 6,282,846 - € 5,672,580 = € 610,266

So € 610,266 was added from that weeks sales to the Jackpot.

€ 610,266 was the total allocated from total Lotto sales to the JACKPOT prize pot.

€ 610,266 is 46.16%, of 52%, of 100% gives us total ticket sales.

As € 610,266 was 46.16% of the PRIZE FUND, which was 52% of GROSS REVENUE.

610,266 divided by 46.16 multiplied by 100 = 1,332,067

So the PRIZE FUND, which was 52% of GROSS REVENUE was 1,332,067

1,332,067 divided by 52 multiplied by 100 = 2,561,667 is THE GROSS REVENUE

So the Lotto draw generated € 2,561,667 gross sales

As the price of a single line is € 2 ( 2,561,667 divided by 2 ) a total of 1,280,834 lines were purchased.

As the minimum purchase is 2 lines, that mean there was a MAXIMUM of 640,417 players spending € 4 each.

But of course some folk spend plenty more, so the maximum number of purchasers was 640,417 players, but of course if all purchasers spent € 8 each that would mean there was 320,208 players.

And so on.

To work out how many actual individual players divide 640,417 by the average spend !

What were the numbers prior to the change?

its posted above that apparently its 1 in 13 for a prize of some description. I wonder what the odds are for the Irish lotto? Have not done it since but some weeks put on a small bet in the bookies with 3 numbers.

lycan238 wrote: »
    its posted above that apparently its 1 in 13 for a prize of some description. COLOR="Purple"]euromillions[/COLOR I wonder what the odds are for the Irish lotto?

Less than they were a week or two ago, anyway.

Read somewhere the luckiest shop for buying a ticket is in Donegal with about x12 winning tickets since the start. However you'd still be more likely to be fatally injured getting in a car to go there than actually coming back with a winning ticket.

Less than they were a week or two ago, anyway.

Read somewhere the luckiest shop for buying a ticket is in Donegal with about x12 winning tickets since the start. However you'd still be more likely to be fatally injured getting in a car to go there than actually getting coming back winning ticket.

We have a fairly lucky shop here nearby us however most of the prizes won are the lotto plus games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

What were the numbers prior to the change?

1 - 45 for all lotto draws

1988 (36-ball game) 1,947,792, ah those were the days.
    1992 (39-ball game) 3,262,623
    1994 (42-ball game) 5,245,786
    2006 (45-ball game) 8,145,060
    now 47 with balls (load of balls) its 10,737,573
    when it (eventually) goes to 49 integer units, look forward to 1 : 13,983,816!

Roughly about the same chance of getting bit by a shark, after surviving an asteroid strike and then getting jiggy with the victoria secrets ladies (on a leap year). You can't live off 3.2m anyway these days, but sure it's a good start....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

We've only sold 2. The last one was about 10 years ago and was a Lotto +1 for €300,000. Never claimed.
    The other one was a main draw jackpot back in the early to mid 90's IIRC. Prize back then was about a million punts. Was thrilled to discover we'd sold a jackpot winner, even more thrilled at the thoughts about what we'd do with the IR£5,000 sellers commission, disgusted when we checked Aertel only to find that the jackpot had been won by 6 distinct winning tickets, the most it had ever been split before or since. ie. The IR£5,000 sellers commission would be split 6 ways between the six shops that sold the tickets. Dunno who might have been a bit less happy than they should have been. Us when we collected our IR£833 instead of IR£5,000 or the winning ticket holder collecting IR£166,000 instead of a cool Million like he thought he was for a few minutes/hours after he checked his ticket but before he realised his was actually one of 6 winning tickets.

Its luck of the draw needless to say. Another local shop had sold 3 main draw jackpot winners before it closed about 10 years ago despite the fact that we'd sell more tickets on a Saturday alone than they'd have sold all week. ie. a lotto rep confirmed to us that our lotto turnover was multiples of this other shops. Yet they were the 'luckier' shop.

My observation is that when the price increase was publicised all our lotto customers were complaining and saying that would stop playing the lotto or cut back on the number of lines they bought. When the price increase actually came in.....they all rounded up!! Me 3 lines with plus now cost €7.50?? Feck It! Round it up to 4 lines for a nice even Tenner!! :Rolleyes: :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

I dont understand what the price increase was for.

The jackpot in the Irish lotto still only goes up very slowly. At least on the euromillions if it isnt won in a few weeks it goes to massive proportions.

Irish lotto can be un-won for 2 months and still be less than 10 Million, and at odds of 11M-1 to win it is a disgrace.

I would love the money to set up my own Lotto, it must be money for old rope!

Advertisement