Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

223 Ammo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

None in stock. I rang them last week. Thanks though.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Cass, Paddy Carley just got in some Winchester super x 64gr in 223 and would be worth a call. Also Mike Duggan usually has a few bits of the 'odd stuff' when it is hard to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

There's really only Matchkings for target work.

A few hunting rounds and hardball loads, but nothing I have seen for target.

Griffin Hawe had a single box of 69gr Matchkings a good few weeks ago - at 2.00 per bang, they're probably still there.

Got to try some AE 62gr today. Not great at 100, but decent at 200 and 300.

Still have a nagging feeling there is something up with the scope so next time i'm over i'm going to change out the scope and see if it improves.

Keep any recommendations coming.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

Saw Federal 64g powershock in Ardee Sports last week, think they were €22 a box

Mezamo wrote: »

Have used these extensively for hunting - absolute hammers, instant knockdown.

Not incredibly accurate, shooting 0.5 - 0.75" @ 100 from my accurised T3, about 1" out-of-the-box.

Mezamo wrote: »

These were recommended to me by a lad in the states as a great factory round for the Remmy. Must give Ardee a shout to see if they have any. Planning a trip up home soon so can pick them up on the way back.

Was on the range today and a mate was asking me how i'm getting o with the semi auto. Told him the story and he handed me a box of TUL ammo. 62gr FMJ. They were great. Tightest groups i've ever gotten and repeatedly so.

The same round in Remington was crap. I'm on American eagle for targets and Superformance for hunting. Now i have a new round for targets and the bonus is it's only a €10 a box.

He told me that Paddy Fagan stocks them, and after speaking to the man himself yesterday about 9mm ammo i think i may take a trip up and stock up on both.

Anyone else use this TUL stuff, if so in what (rifle, twist, etc) and what results did ya get?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭philmire

Cass wrote: »
    Was on the range today and a mate was asking me how i'm getting o with the semi auto. Told him the story and he handed me a box of TUL ammo. 62gr FMJ. They were great. Tightest groups i've ever gotten and repeatedly so.

The same round in Remington was crap. I'm on American eagle for targets and Superformance for hunting. Now i have a new round for targets and the bonus is it's only a €10 a box.

He told me that Paddy Fagan stocks them, and after speaking to the man himself yesterday about 9mm ammo i think i may take a trip up and stock up on both.

Anyone else use this TUL stuff, if so in what (rifle, twist, etc) and what results did ya get?

Friend bought them in carlow had 9mm ammo too 20 euro for 100 I shot them out of the tikka in 1:9 and the shot grand to 100 yards after that they were crap in his savage axis 1:12 they shot ok to 50 yards pure target rounds rabbits will run being shot with them

• Advertisement

Was onto Atlantic yesterday. Don't know about TUL as i only discovered it today, but no pistol ammo at all. Hence the reason i contacted Paddy Fagan.

Savage axis has a 1:12 tiwst so the 62gr might be a little heavy for it. TBH i'll only ever be doing 100mtrs or less in terms of target shooting but you're dead right about using any FMJ ammo on game. Just not on. In no way effective so i stick to the Fiocchi or Superformance BT stuff for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Scalachi

I have used the Tul Ammo in .30 Cal

I found it as accurate if not marginally better than Remington, which was almost double the cost, have not seen much of it about recently though.

The Remington is hit and miss and i've found that is usually performs best in their own guns. However the R-15 (as i'm lead to believe) is a bushmaster with Remington barrel. Thought this would still make for good shooting, but not so much. After saying that the 45gr HP UMC Remington ammo works a treat in it. But only that specific bullet/round.

I've checked online and Atlantic in Carlow are listing the TULAmmo on their site at €7.50 a box. Not sure how much they have, if any, but i'll call on Monday and check.

I've been killing rabbits with FMJ's for over 10 years and I've never had a runner or lost one (I've missed my fair share, though).

Think Atlantic have a large supply of Tulammo 223 62gr, I think they supply other dealers. They were selling 3 boxes for 20.00 and used to do a better deal for quantity, but I refuse to darken their door lately due to a smart little bollix behind the counter who looks like he was born a couple of decades after I got my first licence.

yubabill1 wrote: »
    I've been killing rabbits with FMJ's for over 10 years and I've never had a runner or lost one (I've missed my fair share, though).
    I have seen them piss through foxes so out of principle i won't use them. Each to their own, and rabbits don't take much in terms of knocking.
    Think Atlantic have a large supply of Tulammo 223 62gr, I think they supply other dealers. They were selling 3 boxes for 20.00 and used to do a better deal for quantity,
    I'll get the Father to check them out.
    but I refuse to darken their door lately due to a smart little bollix behind the counter who looks like he was born a couple of decades after I got my first licence.
    Same thing. Three different guys over the last few years. Each time they got rid of one another appeared. So each time i'd think it was safe to go back only to find another one. Things seemed to have changed for the better so i hope it stays that way.

I have seen them piss through foxes so out of principle i won't use them. Each to their own, and rabbits don't take much in terms of knocking.

+1

had to plug a fox twice under the lamp at 167yds a few years ago when I loaded FMJ instead of HP's.

He started off after the first shot to the chest and the second clipped his heart, we assumed after the autopsy - never found the entry holes, but the exits were 1.5" apart.

Don't really go for foxes so much lately, but you really need expanding ammo for them, no compromise.

There were 2 new guys in Atlantic when I was last there - one was a novice and genuine, but inexperienced. The other appeared to have a senior position, little knowledge but lots of sneaky attitude. He was lucky I have bad hearing and misheard his answer, which only became clear after he had left the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

^^ I hit a fox at 90 yards with American eagle 55gr fmj and it went through him and he ran off before stopping 50 or so yards later. Clear exit wound on him aswell. Next fox after that was a hp 55gr Hornady and she dropped on spot at 120 yards

Checked their website and the TulAmmo was listing as only having one box left. I took a chance and rang them. They have an ass load of it so i took a trip down today.

It's marked as €7.50 a box, but when you buy a few they give a good discount. Works out at 3 boxes for €20. So i took 200 to try out. Based on what it done at the range it'll be perfect for the target work i'm doing.

Also found out they are getting in a new supply of MagTech in 9mm in a couple of weeks so definitely going to check them out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

Checked their website and the TulAmmo was listing as only having one box left. I took a chance and rang them. They have an ass load of it so i took a trip down today.

It's marked as €7.50 a box, but when you buy a few they give a good discount. Works out at 3 boxes for €20. So i took 200 to try out. Based on what it done at the range it'll be perfect for the target work i'm doing.

What kind of accuracy you getting from this?

Also found out they are getting in a new supply of MagTech in 9mm in a couple of weeks so definitely going to check them out too.

n't be surprised if you get a few dud rounds in the 200 (not many, maybe low single figures, maybe none).

I have 3 rounds that simply won't chamber that come out of the several hundred I've put down the barrel: a similar number were discarded.
    These 3 rounds have a casing that's a couple of thou too long, according to my micrometer: The bolt won't close.

Also, you will have to ignore the odd flyer - infuriating to the point of making you question your own ability, until you try a few quality rounds to restore sanity.

I no longer use Tulammo for rabbits, as the odd miss became impossible to analyse and I don't rate the ammo accuracy beyond 150 yds/metres.

There just isn't a good reliable round out there right now that's cheap to shoot IMHO. Remington UMC 55gr FMJ @ 20.00 per box is crazy - I paid 8.00 per box ten years ago for quantity - maybe that spoiled me.

You know, I'm beginning to come round to the 40gr VMax for accuracy in faster twist barrels, just going by what others have been saying.

The 50gr Fiocchi HP's work really well for me on rabbits, but failed me on a fox a couple of weeks ago with a 20 yd half-snapshot square into the chest. he ran 50 yds until he realised that he was shot and I plugged him a second time in the chest, with better effect. The fast, light round exited without expanding on the first shot, just one side of the spine. The second, at 50-60 yds, performed better.

The VMax at 20yds is a game over round, as is the Federal 64gr PSP.

Enjoy the Tulammo for what they are, cheap and fun. When they're good, they're really good, but the (infrequent/unpredictable) inexplicable flyers will drive you mad if you let them.

You never know, maybe it's just my shooting.

• Advertisement

What kind of accuracy you getting from this?
    Decent enough. Three shots from 5 will be touching, one will be about a bullet width out and then you get the flyer. Either me or the rifle, but i didn't go mad on them as i on'y had the one box. I try some this weekend and post results.
    Enjoy the Tulammo for what they are, cheap and fun. When they're good, they're really good, but the (infrequent/unpredictable) inexplicable flyers will drive you mad if you let them..
    For 50 yards and less they will do perfectly. Even with the odd flyer the bulls and target is such that you'd not notice. Plus my shooting, free handed, leaves a lot to be desired. As said above i'll try them out over the weekend and report back.

TBH at the price it's far cheaper than any other round and from initial tests they will do perfectly. If i get the occasional dud, it's a small price to pay for a constant and steady supply of decent ammo. Plus i already know they have the same zero at 100 yards as the Superformance and Fiocchi so i just dial it back to my preset 100 yard zero when finished the comp and i'm good to go for the other ammo for hunting.

TBH at the price it's far cheaper than any other round and from initial tests they will do perfectly. If i get the occasional dud, it's a small price to pay for a constant and steady supply of decent ammo. Plus i already know they have the same zero at 100 yards as the Superformance and Fiocchi so i just dial it back to my preset 100 yard zero when finished the comp and i'm good to go for the other ammo for hunting.

At 50yds they're fine IMHO.

And they ARE fun.

Yup. Problem is they can be "too much" fun. You get carried away. It's the reason you need to be buying them in the hundreds. :D

Out of curiosity i worked it out. I'm on the reloading squad in the Midlands. If i could reload for them for comps the Tul is still far cheaper to buy and for the distance i'm shooting i cannot see any benefit between the Tul and reloaded stuff. Plus i don't fancy sitting for hours each week making some to blow through them in a comp or two. With the Tul you just buy, shoot and go again. NO hassle, no load testing, no crab hands from brass prep, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭daleshooter

ivar in topgun has federal 64gr if you need a number pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

but I refuse to darken their door lately due to a smart little bollix behind the counter who looks like he was born a couple of decades after I got my first licence.

I think he has two comrades in Clarkes Sports den in Navan. One calling down the shop to the other "The lad is here for his rifle, the one with the bent barrel." Plus a few other smart remarks.

Just after watching an interesting interview between a SKY news correspondent and Dr Julian Richards. Now i don't Dr. Richards, have never heard of him before and don't know his background but he made some very salient points.

His remarks about the tightening of gun laws were very important. He said, and i'm paraphrasing here, that the problem is not so much the movement of arms around the EU (although he did say that some member states could do with examining the processes they use to allow this), but moreso a case of the outlying countries within the Schengen area tightening their borders and stopping the influx of FULLY AUTOMATIC arms which once in can move more freely.

He went on to say that England, due it's geographical location, does not suffer with this nearly as much as the other countries within the EU. By default Ireland would be less so or at the very least the same. He finished by saying that there should NOT be a kneejerk reaction to the events of Paris in relation to arms.

I must stress the interview was not solely about firearms. It touched on multiple topics, and i'm by no means seeking to diminish the tragedies that have occurred, but just relaying the points he made on firearms because of the topic of the thread and nature of the forum.

Advertisement