Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Week 1 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I don't think Will Allen could have been any slower getting down to that ball if he had tried to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

JCTO wrote: »
    That is my point is the Pats had chances to put this game to bed due to those missed kicks and Steelers making bad decisions and now the Pats have been making mistake all over the place allowing the Steelers stay in this and now the Steelers have found their rhythm.

They've been in rhythm though for most of the game - that is until the redzone, where they've been making mistakes, just as they did again this drive. I get what you mean, though.

Shame about their defense, because on top of Ben/Brown/Lacy, having DeAngelo Williams able to come in and have 8-12 touches (when healthy!).

Gronk, sure who else? :pac: I reckon that's game over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I really feel the Steelers are being outcoached here. Between the run on third and goal on the 6, the trick play on a promising drive, and the run when time was a big issue in the first half, the Steelers could be right there, but instead they find themselves 14 points down because whenever the Patriots have got in position they've made good play calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The Brady - Gronk connection is pretty much unstoppable when both are in the zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Billy86 wrote: »
    They've been in rhythm though for most of the game - that is until the redzone, where they've been making mistakes, just as they did again this drive. I get what you mean, though.

You are debating exactly the point I am making. The made a sh1t ton of mistakes and the Patriots capitalised and carved them open and put the pressure on. The Patriots had a chance early on to get this game out of reach early due to the mistakes but low and behold the Pats defense still were unable to put any pressure on Big Ben and give him 5-6 secs in the pocket which gives Brown a **** ton of time to get open.

• Advertisement

They've been in rhythm though for most of the game - that is until the redzone, where they've been making mistakes..

They've only themselves to blame for that because our defense has been dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

"Where is Roger?" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It's been fun for the neutral though, between both defenses! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

The Pittsburgh clock management is an absolute farce.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Haha beautiful have Brown on a couple of fantasy teams.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Very frustrating, so many points left behind.

It's been fun for the neutral though, between both defenses! :D

That's probably the most liberal use of the word defense I've ever seen.:)

dfx- wrote: »
    Very frustrating, so many points left behind.

The worry thing was, Brady was pretty much perfect and we still could have lost the game thanks to our defense. Better redzone execution by Ben and it could have been a different result.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Caught the condensed version this morning. Very good game, from an offensive perspective anyway.

Scary how good Steelers offense could be, when you consider Bell, Pouncey and Bryant were all missing.

Brady was ridiculous for long periods of that game, yet Steelers could have come away with the win if things had gone their way a little more. Don't know if that's a testament to Ben and co, or a perhaps worrying sign about the Pats D. Although, some lack of discipline seemed to hurt them. Hard to tell exactly from the condensed version.

Early days anyway.

Great to have football back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Knex. wrote: »
    Great to have football back.
    It really is.
    Got to watch the game this morning, and it crossed my mind a few times that we still have games on Sun/Mon to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Pats run D looked awful, on this evidence they're gonna miss big Vince big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Were always gonna miss Vince

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Isn't the Pats system complicated to learn as well? Can only get better anyway, and I'd be confident that it will. I'd be slightly more worried about that secondary, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Isn't the Pats system complicated to learn as well? Can only get better anyway, and I'd be confident that it will. I'd be slightly more worried about that secondary, tbh.

Fair point.

On the other hand, Steelers offense is looking scary considering who they were missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The secondary is back to being what it was before that time we made it good and won a superbowl, it will still give up too many big plays, allow teams to convert on too many 3rd and longs and frustrate the hell out of me all year I think.

It will improve as we go along also, as will the whole team you would imagine, but I have my doubts the secondary will improve to the level required. Ryan is just awful and McCourty was quiet last night, he needs to be the leader on D that he is out there every week

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Working early this morning so haven't had a chance to watch yet how did the oats defensive backs play

The secondary is back to being what it was before that time we made it good and won a superbowl, it will still give up too many big plays, allow teams to convert on too many 3rd and longs and frustrate the hell out of me all year I think.

It will improve as we go along also, as will the whole team you would imagine, but I have my doubts the secondary will improve to the level required. Ryan is just awful and McCourty was quiet last night, he needs to be the leader on D that he is out there every week

I think its actually a little worse, as at least before last season the Pats also had Talib.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Cruz and Beason out for the Giants sunday night

Cruz and Beason out for the Giants sunday night

Dammit anyway, I had thought Beason was fine for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Really enjoyed that game on Thursday. Brady as you would expect is like a man possessed. Himself and Gronk are absolute dynamite together. Bit like Peyton and Reggie Wayne at Indy.

Not many expected Pittsburgh to employ the running game like they did and I think New England were caught out too leaving a ton of gaps in their defense.

Williams was excellent as were the Steelers offence for the most part. Stupid mistakes cost them dearly though and NE certainly had their fair share of luck with that recovered fumble just on the 1 yard line.

Was a lot closer than I expected. Such a shame that you're given a little taste and have to wait until Sunday for the main course to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Jeez - headsetgate - first game in and the Pats can't just play a game of football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Not so subtle JRG, but nice try ;)

Not so subtle JRG, but nice try ;)

Don't feed him JaMarcus. Better to deal with the facts, rather than somebody who was banned from the Pats thread for obvious reasons.

The most recent NFL statement on the technical issue...
    “The coaches’ communications equipment, including the headsets, is provided by the NFL for both clubs use on game day,” the league said in a statement this morning. “The home team is responsible for the installation and maintenance of that equipment. Every team’s game day communications personnel are required to work with the NFL communications consultants to ensure wireless equipment is free and clear of interference and address any problems. Technological and stadium infrastructure issues of this type happen at many stadiums around the league and whenever there are issues of this nature, we do a thorough [URL="rehttp://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/11/nfl-on-headsetgate-when-there-are-issues-we-do-a-thorough-review/related/view."]rehttp://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/11/nfl-on-headsetgate-when-there-are-issues-we-do-a-thorough-review/related/view.[/URL]

The NFL's earlier statement...
    “Based on our review to date, we believe that the audio interference on Steelers’ headsets last night was entirely attributable to an electrical issue made worse by the inclement weather; that it involved no manipulation by any individual; and that the Patriots had nothing to do with it,” the league’s statement said. “The issue was promptly resolved and there were no further problems for the remainder of the game. We will continue to review the matter to determine if there are technical steps that can be taken to avoid similar problems from occurring in other games.”
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/11/nfl-on-headset-problems-patriots-had-nothing-to-do-with-it/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Don't feed him JaMarcus. Better to deal with the facts, rather than somebody who was banned from the Pats thread for obvious reasons.

The most recent NFL statement on the technical issue...

The NFL's earlier statement...

Can't trust the league in fairness :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Jeez - headsetgate - first game in and the Pats can't just play a game of football.

What does Gary Kubiak have to say on the issue:
    Broncos coach Gary Kubiak was asked after practice Friday if he's experienced headset issues, and he said such problems are not exclusive to Gillette Stadium.

"It's like anything else," he said. "There are days you struggle with it or something's going on. We had a preseason game here that had something going on. It's just like anything else you've got to work through on game day, like an injury or something. You've got to battle your way through it."

But hey nice try. Keep on banging that drum of yours.

Advertisement