Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armstrong 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭pawntof4

sinbad68 wrote: »
    No, Mustafa !

Aaawwww why did you have to go and do that!! We were all having fun pretending we didn't know.

You must be one of those vested interests

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

In the first few moves, players should notice if 30 seconds being added on , but some players get immersed into the game from the start and don't notice the clock till towards the end.
    Entirely possible alright (though you don't tend to get that immersed in a game in the first five moves, by which time you should be spotting the time error) - but still, that's both players' fault, and one can't subsequently claim a win on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭sinbad68

cdeb wrote: »
    Entirely possible alright (though you don't tend to get that immersed in a game in the first five moves, by which time you should be spotting the time error) - but still, that's both players' fault, and one can't subsequently claim a win on that basis.

Prevention is better than cure .Clock should be set properly in the beginning and perhaps tested by players to make sure increments work before the start of the real match.It should be duty of the host club or players to set their club clocks for the visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭rob51

Prevention is better than cure .Clock should be set properly in the beginning and perhaps tested by players to make sure increments work before the start of the real match.It should be duty of the host club or players to set their club clocks for the visitors.

Actually I'm surprised that increments seem to be a new feature in the Leinster Leagues. While I accept Sinbad's point that there can be issues in having the clocks set correctly I think you will find that there will be far less disputes overall using increments.

Certainly that has been the experience in the Munster Leagues where 90% of disputes used to be caused by allegro finishes and they just don't occur anymore.

Leinster Leagues generally operate on weeknights, so increments are less useful as they give the potential for games to run on quite late. I presume that's the main reason why they didn't come in until recently (and are technically still, if not optional, then negotiable - you can play without increments if both players agree)

There's still no increments outside the top two divisions.

• Advertisement

@ cdeb. I actually prefer 90 min+30 sec to 2 hours but weeknights is not the time to do it, also 30 seconds increments have No place if you are running more than 2 games in one day which is happening in ulster masters ( masters :D ). Some committees get bored and come up with silly ideas to change things ( usually for the worse ) like Dublin city council wanting to close some city centre streets like O'Connell street to traffic which will hurt city centre shops and make traffic around Dublin worse.

As for the clocks, if you have " who is responsible ?" if clock is set wrong in the air, mistakes and arguments occur but would be far fewer, once you hold one party ( host club & players) responsible, then you will see greater effort and far less mistakes. cdeb as I said , next time your club member asks you to set the clock, show him how it's done, perhaps you could have a clock setting tutorial and teach several people together or make a youtube video ?:)

Showing now as a 7-1 win for Bray.

Looks like a freak result - I had assumed the big win meant Kilkenny were weaker again this year, but they out-rated Bray on 5 boards. Actually, it's Bray who were surprisingly weak; I presume they were missing a few players.

it's Bray who were surprisingly weak; I presume they were missing a few players.

You don't need to presume , this is bray's armstrong panel

http://leinsterchess.com/lcu1516/div1/panel4.htm

Bray's strength at kilkenny should be NO surprise, bray were playing away at kilkenny and some club players are reluctant to travel long distance to play a single game. Kilkenny are in trouble this season and highly likely will be relegated.

Good spot. Although not sure how often Colm's going to be playing this year, which won't help. But yeah, add three 1900s and they'll be grand.

Wouldn't write off Kilkenny quite yet (even though I've tipped them to go down as well). Phibsboro's team for their first game was really weak; again, they're missing a couple of players it seems, and also for a Saturday away game (albeit only in Balbriggan) - but they won't want to have too many teams like that out.

Maybe the surprise of the round was Dublin having a strong team for an early away match. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

Gonzaga 4 Trinity 4 today so there's a good chance the Armstrong won't be decided before the last round this season.

Karl McPhillips beat Sam Collins.

The Trinity v Dun Laoghaire match is not yet finished as far as I'm aware because their player Tom O'Gorman was away at the junior internationals.

• Advertisement

0/2 for Sam so. Not doing his GM chances much good (as in reaching 2500)

Edit - that's nonsense actually; mixing Sam up with David Fitzsimons, who lost in round 1

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭EnPassant

Dun Laoire - Elm Mount finished as a 5.5 to 2.5 win for Elm Mount.

Bray have a good chance of going top of the table after round 2 - they need 5.5 against Benildus B on Wednesday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Phibsboro 5 curragh 3

St Benildus B 4-4 Bray

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

St Benildus B 4-4 Bray

wow, good result for your Bs

Given Bray beat our As 6-2 last year, yep, it's a brilliant result!

Suddenly this season is like last season, where we started seriously thinking early on if we could actually get promoted - now we're seriously thinking if we can actually stay up this year.

2000, 1900 and 1800 on the top three boards gives us a bit of strength on the top, which is where B teams usually fall down I think. 1600 on the bottom boards is solid enough too, if far from spectacular.

Possibly one of the youngest Armstrong teams in recent times as well with two 14-year-olds and a 16-year-old?

I just heard the Trinity-Dun Laoghaire match has finished 5.5-2.5.

So the real standings after two rounds are:

Gonzaga 12, Benildus A and Elm Mount 11.5, Bray 11, Trinity 9.5, Balbriggan & Dublin 8.5, Phibsboro 7, Benildus B 6, Dun Laoghaire 5, Curragh 3 and Kilkenny 2.5.

With rd 3 featuring Bray-Benildus, Trinity-Phibsboro and Elm Mount-Gonzaga the shape of things should look clearer by the end of the month but it does look like a more competitive league this year which is of course an excellent state of affairs.

Suddenly this season is like last season, where we started seriously thinking early on if we could actually get promoted - now we're seriously thinking if we can actually stay up this year.

Yep, In heidenfeld you spent the first half of last season, worrying and talking about fighting relegation and your team actually ended up getting promoted to armstrong!. Why do you continuously display lack of confidence in yourself and your team one season after another ?, or perhaps you are using an old Persian proverb which says " The best way to avoid disappointment is to lower your expectation ? "

I have done some analysis and computer says %94 chance Curragh & Kilkenny would be relegated.

Why do you continuously display lack of confidence in yourself and your team one season after another ?, or perhaps you are using an old Persian proverb which says " The best way to avoid disappointment is to lower your expectation ? "
    Absolutely.

Pessimism is the best way - you're either right, or pleasantly surprised.

In fairness, last year's Heidenfeld team wouldn't have had a hope of staying up; adding boards 1, 2 and 3 is a huge plus.

Absolutely.

Pessimism is the best way - you're either right, or pleasantly surprised.

Pessimism is the best way ?!, That is a Negative & Wrong attitude to have and do yourself and your team a disservice.

Self-confidence is very important. If you don’t think you can win, you will take cowardly decisions in the crucial moments, out of sheer respect for your opponent. You see the opportunity but also greater limitations than you should. I have always believed in what I do on the chessboard, even when I had no objective reason to. It is better to overestimate your prospects than underestimate them.

cdeb, Imagine if you were Ireland's football manager, in dressing room before the match with Germany, your pep talk be, instead of telling players "to believe in themselves" ,, " Go for it ", " you can do it " would be like " Be scared, they are the world champions", " they are really strong", " don't let too many goals in " so you can blog later and avoid disappointment!?.

Looking at armstrong teams , player on phibsboro board 2 is shown as unrated, quick look at fide site and two guys have this name, if he is one of these two, his fide rating should be displayed on LCU site and if not, his national rating with an *astrix beside his name to let us know, it is a national rating . If a player has NO rating whatsoever from any federation, then he's got NOTHING to prove his strength, he should not be allowed to be placed on any board the captain likes him to be, should not be allowed for example to occupy boards 1-5 in armstrong.( perhaps cdeb who has long history of involvement in LCU can elaborate on any rules regarding this ?)

Back to phibsboro club. Marius Antohi is a 1482 rated player in the Armstrong

http://leinsterchess.com/lcu1516/div1/pt1210.htm

but he is a 1650 rated player in heidenfeld!

http://leinsterchess.com/lcu1516/div2/pt1102.htm

This is either the case of, they are two different people, for example ( father & son ) OR in LCU the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing !.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

If he's one player, an email to the rating officer should sort that out quickly.

Looking at armstrong teams , player on phibsboro board 2 is shown as unrated, quick look at fide site and two guys have this name, if he is one of these two, his fide rating should be displayed on LCU site and if not, his national rating with an *astrix beside his name to let us know, it is a national rating . If a player has NO rating whatsoever from any federation, then he's got NOTHING to prove his strength, he should not be allowed to be placed on any board the captain likes him to be, should not be allowed for example to occupy boards 1-5 in armstrong.( perhaps cdeb who has long history of involvement in LCU can elaborate on any rules regarding this ?)

As Trinity play Phibsboro next, I already asked our captain to clarify this issue about the Italian player Dario Melotti on board 2. I guess it's likely (going by birth years on FIDE site) that it's father and son, and more likely the younger one is in Ireland.

Whichever one it is, the FIDE rating is high enough to justify playing on board 2 but I agree it is surprising that:
    a) the Phibsboro captain did not declare the FIDE ID number (and hence rating) of his player as he should have when sending in the result,

or if he did

b) why the Armstrong website is still not displaying this information.

Pessimism is the best way ?!, That is a Negative & Wrong attitude to have and do yourself and your team a disservice.

Self-confidence is very important. If you don’t think you can win, you will take cowardly decisions in the crucial moments, out of sheer respect for your opponent. You see the opportunity but also greater limitations than you should. I have always believed in what I do on the chessboard, even when I had no objective reason to. It is better to overestimate your prospects than underestimate them.
    I disagree. We're happy to enjoy the season, whatever happens, and we know there's no pressure on us at all - especially now we've actually gotten a decent result. Over the board, we're each individually playing to do the best we can, and no pressure can help there.

I've seen many a chess game lost by those who overestimate their prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭phnompenhchess

0/2 for Sam so. Not doing his GM chances much good (as in reaching 2500)

Edit - that's nonsense actually; mixing Sam up with David Fitzsimons, who lost in round 1
    Has anyone calculated whether Collins would have gone over 2500 if he had avoided the Armstrong these past few years. I do respect him for keeping on playing. Mind you I'd still respect him if he didn't.

First two rounds have been rated (and off the Heidenfeld)

Bonus points will not operate in either league as it gets rated round by round

As Trinity play Phibsboro next, I already asked our captain to clarify this issue about the Italian player Dario Melotti on board 2. I guess it's likely (going by birth years on FIDE site) that it's father and son, and more likely the younger one is in Ireland.

I'll be surprised if they are father & son!.Italians have a strong tradition of naming children after their grandparents and not their parents. In Ireland we have players with the same name, so in Italy with it's far greater population, mathematically, far more frequent to find matching player names.

I'll be surprised if they are father & son!.Italians have a strong tradition of naming children after their grandparents and not their parents. In Ireland we have players with the same name, so in Italy with it's far greater population, mathematically, far more frequent to find matching player names.

Sinbad you are trying to be too clever here!

A little research on the FIDE ratings website would show you that one Dario Melotti was born 1965 and the other 1989. While it might just about be biologically possible for one to be the grandfather of the other, if precocious puberty runs in the family, I think my guess is more likely to be right. Or perhaps they are related in some other way: uncle/ granduncle?
    Or as you hint, maybe not at all.
    We are probably going to find out next week...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 must have a jest

That's only first born Italian boys (I think). There's a flaw in your mathematics, by the way.

I'll leave it with you as a "chess" puzzle to solve...

That's only first born Italian boys (I think). There's a flaw in your mathematics, by the way.

I'll leave it with you as a "chess" puzzle to solve...

The tradition is, the first couple of sons are named after their grand parents and after that parents names can come to play,Italians like honouring elders or deceased by naming babies after them. If Italian tradition came to play here, with 24 year age gap, then Dario senior started really early, obviously there are no fixed rules. In this specific case I did quick check up of where these two players played chess in Italy and both seem centered around Pavia Lombardia, which greatly increases the chances of them being related.

As for the maths, when you do put that name in Fide rating data base , 7 pages with around 50 names per pages with "Dario" name shows up and already another match on page 1.Obviously other factors including how many variation of italian surnames and forenames and their popularity comes to play for exact name match.

• Advertisement

The tradition is, the first couple of sons are named after their grand parents and after that parents names can come to play,Italians like honouring elders or deceased by naming babies after them. If Italian tradition came to play here, with 24 year age gap, then Dario senior started really early, obviously there are no fixed rules. In this specific case I did quick check up of where these two players played chess in Italy and both seem centered around Pavia Lombardia, which greatly increases the chances of them being related.

As for the maths, when you do put that name in Fide rating data base , 7 pages with around 50 names per pages with "Dario" name shows up and already another match on page 1.Obviously other factors including how many variation of italian surnames and forenames and their popularity comes to play for exact name match.

This is becoming a pointless argument like most on boards.
    No I did not search for "Dario" but for "Melotti." There are only four, three are Italian, two are Dario.

Advertisement