Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attending a Church wedding

Options
  • 02-09-2015 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hi. First time posting in this forum.

I'm attending a church (Catholic) wedding of two friends soon. Neither of them are really devout/practicing (as far as I know) and seem to be having the ceremony in the church as it's "the done thing".

My question is; do I have to kneel and stand at all the various times throughout the mass? I'll obviously stand when the bride arrives and the couple exit but for the prayers, readings etc, am I expected to stand/kneel?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I would kneel and stand when everyone else does. When people go for communion just sit quietly until the priest starts talking again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I would kneel and stand when everyone else does. When people go for communion just sit quietly until the priest starts talking again.

Then light some Chinese firecrackers and toot your airhorn.

(Sorry.)

No religious person is going to take it amiss if you don't kneel (as long as you aren't in the way when they try to kneel). Some very religious people might actually get offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I just sit through it all. Several others usually do also.

I lean/scoot forward when kneeling bits happen as the person behind usually puts their hands on the back of the seat so it's just plain manners not to inconvenience them.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Speaking/typing as a 'collapsed' Catholic ... I only attend as many weddings/funerals/anniversaries as are necessary to keep the relatives happy ... just be polite. There's a fair bit of kneeling/standing/sitting etc ... think of it as a portion of your required healthy exercise for the day! Simply lag a few seconds behind what everyone else around you is doing. The bit that really annoys me is the 'shaking hands with those around you' bit, which I, personally, think is responsible for the spread of colds/flu/and whatever you're having yourself - and serves no useful purpose. Have a few euro coins in your purse/pocket for the inevitable collection, and you should then survive the experience! Enjoy the day - it's not that difficult ... at least it's not in the local mosque :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I personally do all that craic, the kneeling and standing and stuff, out of respect for whatever reason I'm in a church for. The only difference is that I don't bless myself or take communion. I've only been called out on this once. An old lady asked me why I wasn't blessing myself. I just said "I'm not a Catholic". She didn't seem to mind, I assume she thought I was church of Ireland (because there's such a huge difference).. Do whatever you think is right, as an Atheist, the only difference between you and the believers is that you don't believe in their god. What to do during mass is entirely up to you..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I stand, I don't kneel. Staying sitting when everyone else is standing makes some people very uncomfortable. In the interests of not being a dick about it, I just stand to convenience others. And scooch forward at the kneeling bit so the guy behind you isn't on top of you and again feeling uncomfortable.

If I can get away with it (i.e. I barely know the people) then I'll stand or sit in the back and you don't have to do anything then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

seamus wrote: »
    I stand, I don't kneel. Staying sitting when everyone else is standing makes some people very uncomfortable. In the interests of not being a dick about it, I just stand to convenience others. And scooch forward at the kneeling bit so the guy behind you isn't on top of you and again feeling uncomfortable.

If I can get away with it (i.e. I barely know the people) then I'll stand or sit in the back and you don't have to do anything then.

^This.

When it comes to the shaking hands I shake hands but just smile. Or you can always just say 'Pleased to meet you'; since it sounds so similar it should pass without comment.

I also like to mentally convert the church into a house to pass the time. I can never decide whether to put a second floor in or to leave it open to the roof so as not to impede the windows. Granted you get fewer bedrooms doing it that way, but it's so much more dramatic. Definitely the master bedroom in the choir balcony and a library in the bell tower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Pretty much this.

You're going through the motions only because you respect your friends choice to have a religious wedding, not because you're religious yourself.

Don't bother with any of the responses, don't bother with the communion, maybe throw a few coppers into the basket if you feel like it.

Personally I sing songs in my head until the whole thing is over.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'll stand on occasion, I'll sit but I'll never kneel in a church.... I stopped that a long time ago and nobody cares or has said anything to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Stand when everyone else is standing, sit when they're kneeling
    Do the hand shaking bit because sure it's a nice gesture and sentiment
    Don't go to communion of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,157 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Up to you. It's unlikely that anyone else in the church will pay any attention to your posture unless you go out of the way to draw attention to yourself. So, no tap-dancing.

In general the point of attending any celebration is to participate in it; if you don't want to participate, your best option is not to attend at all. So as a rough rule of thumb you should do what others are doing, unless you find it seriously inappropriate or dishonest, given your own beliefs. For most unbelievers, standing when others stand is not a problem, but kneeling is a bit more than they are comfortable with. But you have to find your own comfort level on these things.

It's not uncommon for some people to sit when most others are kneeling. This could be because they are not religious, or because they have bad knees/a bad back. Nobody around you will give it much thought.

It's generally considered polite, though, if you are sitting while others are kneeling, not to lean back, as this may inconvenience someone kneeling in the pew behind you.

If you decide to sit while others are standing, you'll stick out a little bit more but, again, people do this for reasons of comfort or because of a back problem, so it's no big deal.

Enjoy the wedding!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

bluewolf wrote: »

Same as that. I don't mind standing, because it's purpose is only to mark respect or somesuch thing. Kneeling, on the other hand, is for the purpose of prayer and I don't pray. I do shuffle forward a bit, like the others said. Mostly I try to sit at the back so I don't even have to scootch forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

What would you do if you were invited to a Muslim/Hindu/Jewish/Humanist ceremony. I assume you would follow and mimic the crowd? Just do the same out of courtesy and respect to your hosts, fellow guests, as well as the true believers there.

MouseTail wrote: »
    What would you do if you were invited to a Muslim/Hindu/Jewish/Humanist ceremony. I assume you would follow and mimic the crowd? Just do the same out of courtesy and respect to your hosts, fellow guests, as well as the true believers there.

Me? Not really. I wouldn't pray when told it's time to pray for example, and so I wouldn't kneel or do whatever action it is any of those religions (humanism excluded) observe in their act of prayer. If it's a simple case of turning to your neighbour, shaking their hand and saying "peace be with you", then why wouldn't I? I have to be true to myself, just like religious people are. The hosts and fellow guests would presumably extend the same courtesy and respect to my own values as I would to them, so an atheist not joining in the actions required specifically of their religious devotion is actually respectful.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

If you genuinely dont believe in god, what difference does it make if you take part in the ceremony? Millions of backpackers in India take part in religious ceremonies for "the experience" and dont have a problem with it. People go to dinner parties and compliment the host on their burnt lamb and undercooked potatoes without flinching. Parents bring their kids to one direction concerts and pretend they are enjoying the music. This is all part of social convention and politeness.

If you were of a different religion e.g. Muslim, I can see how it could offend your beliefs by taking part, but if you dont believe in God, and your only objection is a social/political objection to the catholic church, then it shouldnt be too much of an issue to just hold your tongue for the sake of your friends.

Skipping communion, as suggested, is a subtle way of not participating and avoids the most symbolically significant part of the mass.

But if you sit at the back deliberately avoiding any of the gestures, it may come accross as "look at me, Im better than all of you" or as an affront to the bride and groom. By analogy, suppose you had a secular wedding yourself and a religious pal turned up but refused to get involved in the ceremony and made it clear that they were unhappy with the ceremony. You might think they were critical of younon your wedding day, and youd probably wish they would just blend in as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don't kneel or say the words but I sit and stand on cue. I find that a good compromise, I'm there, I'm respectful, I'm not drawing attention to myself but neither am I making a mockery of the service or speaking untruths.

If you genuinely dont believe in god, what difference does it make if you take part in the ceremony? Millions of backpackers in India take part in religious ceremonies for "the experience" and dont have a problem with it. People go to dinner parties and compliment the host on their burnt lamb and undercooked potatoes without flinching. Parents bring their kids to one direction concerts and pretend they are enjoying the music. This is all part of social convention and politeness.

If you were of a different religion e.g. Muslim, I can see how it could offend your beliefs by taking part, but if you dont believe in God, and your only objection is a social/political objection to the catholic church, then it shouldnt be too much of an issue to just hold your tongue for the sake of your friends.

Skipping communion, as suggested, is a subtle way of not participating and avoids the most symbolically significant part of the mass.

But if you sit at the back deliberately avoiding any of the gestures, it may come accross as "look at me, Im better than all of you" or as an affront to the bride and groom. By analogy, suppose you had a secular wedding yourself and a religious pal turned up but refused to get involved in the ceremony and made it clear that they were unhappy with the ceremony. You might think they were critical of younon your wedding day, and youd probably wish they would just blend in as much as possible.

Nobody is required to perform any religious devotion OR sacrilegious action during a secular wedding, any more than they would be at a community association meeting so your last point above is not a point.

As for the bolded part, let me get this straight. Are you genuinely saying that it would be more respectful for an atheist to attend and pretend to be a believer than it would be to respect other's beliefs by not pretending to hold them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i'm willing to bet no one will care whether you stand or kneel at any of the time. as a former church goer, i noticed that some, esp elderly or a person with a small kid on lap, would stay sitting. no one seemed to bat an eyelash.

just basic manners would dictate a person, who is physically able, should stand/kneel when others do. after all you'll probably do much the same as everyone else at the reception later - so why not in the church too? it's only one hour out of life.

enjoy the day

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'm not drawing attention to myself but neither am I making a mockery of the service or speaking untruths.

That. Is the point being missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Or, it's more respectful to not participate because a) you'll get it wrong and b) it can be seen as a mockery; the atheist pretending like he believes - "who are you coming in here and saying my sacred words when you don't believe them".

And as others have said; I'm not going to stand there and say "I believe in one god" when I don't. I'm not going to say "I'm not worthy" when I don't believe it. I'm not going to kneel and prostrate myself to something I don't believe in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

seamus wrote: »
    That's what I do too.

Though I'd add that if you've not been to a church for a long time, you'll find the whole thing quite trippy. So remember not to giggle (seriously).

Otherwise, well, sit back and enjoy the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

How about skipping the church piece completely?

The bride and groom most likely won't notice (no offence meant to you, I'm sure they will be preoccupied by the ceremony) and you get some extra time before you all meet up at the hotel/reception afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

robindch wrote: »
    That's what I do too.

Though I'd add that if you've not been to a church for a long time, you'll find the whole thing quite trippy. So remember not to giggle (seriously).

I have been to two weddings in the last two weeks. The first was in a stunning church in Krakow. It was a catholic service, but thankfully it was in Polish, so I did not understand a word and therefore the risk of giggles was greatly reduced. I sat and I stood when required, but I did not kneel. I would like to say I kneel for no man (or god), but that probably isn't true, but I won't kneel for a religious service.

The second wedding was in Edinburgh Zoo. It was an actual wedding of humans in being and it was a Humanist ceremony, the first I have attended. I have to say, it really was a very pleasant ceremony. I would highly recommend it.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

bluewolf wrote: »

This.

Mumbling "biz biz bizyoo" when shaking hands also works.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

MrPudding wrote: »
    It was a catholic service, but thankfully it was in Polish, so I did not understand a word and therefore the risk of giggles was greatly reduced.
    Funny, I had the opposite experience a couple of years back here in Dublin where a Russian friend of mine was marrying a French guy in a catholic church only thinly occupied by the families of the two victims. I was one of the few native English speakers there and aside from the organist, I think just about the only person familiar with what happens once the church doors slam shut.

Ended up having to do an occasional ringside commentary in English, French and Russian to keep each side clued up on what was what and what the gravely-intoned, clearly-spoken, but completely alien instructions from the priest actually meant - "Yes, you have to shake hands with everybody now"; "No, kneel!!"; "Now, you can go up and have one of those biscuits which the priest is waving around."; etc, etc)

All in all, quite memorable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 G Spark

Shrap wrote: »
    Nobody is required to perform any religious devotion OR sacrilegious action during a secular wedding, any more than they would be at a community association meeting so your last point above is not a point.

As for the bolded part, let me get this straight. Are you genuinely saying that it would be more respectful for an atheist to attend and pretend to be a believer than it would be to respect other's beliefs by not pretending to hold them?

Would like clarification on that also johnnyskeleton?

Also in relation to your first paragraph, I'm not keen on being fake/a liar in the name of politeness.

I've decided I'll stand when necessary but won't utter a word throughout the ceremony or kneel and that's about it. Thanks for the opinions/advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

By analogy, suppose you had a secular wedding yourself and a religious pal turned up but refused to get involved in the ceremony and made it clear that they were unhappy with the ceremony. You might think they were critical of younon your wedding day, and youd probably wish they would just blend in as much as possible.
    Having very recently attended such a wedding, the only way one could refuse to "get involved" would be by not listening, and I am not sure how one would do that... There is no taking part, there is only being there.

MrP

you'll find the whole thing quite trippy. So remember not to giggle (seriously).

This is true. I was at a family wedding at the start of the summer holidays and brought my eldest, who is entirely unused to churches of any kind, shape or form. He questioned me thoroughly on etiquette beforehand (gave him the exact same advice as I said here....) but I actually had to kick him after the priest said something idiotic and sexist in the midst of the Mass (the jokey part, where he tried and failed to put my cousin and her betrothed at ease....) and eldest had an involuntary teenage eye-rolling spasm.

It can be quite weird, in that everyone around you is totally fine and cool with whatever the priest is saying. It can be difficult to hold your peace *.

*I'm contrasting this with my beloved late aunt's funeral a month later during which people literally spoke up from the floor about her addiction to internet shopping and her particular run of bad luck with shoes. That was a fun funeral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

That's when I start to giggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

MrPudding wrote: »
    Having very recently attended such a wedding, the only way one could refuse to "get involved" would be by not listening, and I am not sure how one would do that... There is no taking part, there is only being there.

MrP

The bride and groom can introduce all sorts of weird stuff involved in such weddings, shaking of a sand vase, writing wishes to be put into a clay pot etc. You either partake of the ceremonial rituals or not, its a bit teenage to say I will partake in those I believe in, but not those I don't, when its a wedding, funeral , coming of age etc of a friend. You are quite priviged to be there.

Advertisement