Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Haunting Image Of Drowned Boy Sums Up Consequences Of 'The Syrian War'"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

RobertKK wrote: »
    A lot of countries are responsible for the refugee crisis, the UK, France, USA, Ireland and most of Europe in general...

It all stems from the invasion of Iraq, the subsequent Arab Spring which the Irish government supported, Ireland was also a key part of the invasion of Iraq as millions of US troops passed through Shannon.

The invasion of Iraq destabilised the region, the Arab Spring for the most part just made things worse, better in Tunisia, but worse near everywhere else.

Europe and the US helped create the situation where these people have to flee to try and get a a better life, most are in Lebanon and Jordan, and it was fine for us westerners when it was their problem and not our problem. A quarter of Lebanon's population are Syrian refugees.

Then we have people in Europe and in Ireland who think we shouldn't accept responsibility for something we via our governments are responsible for.

Irish people shouldn't forget their history. we were like those people back in the 1800s fleeing famine, we had the ships with people dying, we reached the places like New York where the locals didn't want disease ridden famine victims, and anti-Irish sentiment grew.
    These people fleeing to Europe, are no different to the Irish people of the 1840s and 1850s.
    Irish people were allowed to start a new life in the US and elsewhere back then. The people fleeing their countries like Syria have things to offer us, they are able to work and contribute if we grant them asylum.
    They show great initiative by being proactive and wanting to improve their lives, they are nor coming for social welfare.

The whole Shannon fly over thing is bollocks. Basically as a vassal state of the U.S. we were forced by them to do that. The Irish people were not consulted. Neither was the constitution.

And then you move onto Europe, as if every country in Europe invaded Iraq. Utter nonsense.

Certainly the U.S. is responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Saudi Arabia and Qatar are linked to the financing of ISIS, and they hate Shia Muslims.

I respect the Shia. However there is and should be absolutely no place for Sunni Islam in any democratic western country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

10000 is less per capita than Germany will be taking this year. Yes 500 is not enough.
    Bear in mind 1,120 are already scheduled the right to settle in Ireland. You can then apply to have family members live with you for humanitarian reasons. 1120 multiplied by X = ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

No. Send them back to a peaceful country with similar customs & culture to them. Why didn't they stay in the 1st peaceful country they arrived in? Instead they come half way across Europe to try & get to countries deemed soft touches/great benefit systems.

What has customs and culture got to do with it? These people just want a chance to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

The whole Shannon fly over thing is bollocks. Basically as a vassal state of the U.S. we were forced by them to do that. The Irish people were not consulted. Neither was the constitution.

Why what would MR constitution say ?

• Advertisement

Saudi Arabia would never want to help a Syrian. Syrians and Iranians are allies, enemies of Saudi Arabia. They are happy to see the mess Syria is in.

I's a bit messed up that Saudi Arabia funds so much terrorism and refuses to help refugees and yet we do so much business with Saudi Arabis, we let them into our colleges each year also.

This is on a side note but how come all the Saudis in our college are always men? Are colleges in Ireland also putting up with Saudis sexism?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

This is just my opinion. USA is the one who created a lot of the trouble in the area, so why aren't they doing more to take in some refugees? Also, how come the countries around the area like Saudi Arabia, Qatar, etc are not helping their fellow muslisms out? England also helped create the problem with their part in the war but at least they are taking refugees in.

Now Ireland is taking in 600 which is double what we are required to take in, so in my opinion this country is going above and beyond what we have to do, we simply just can't take in more.

On another note is there any way to check the backgrounds of these people coming over, because there could be a big likely hood that ISIS are pretending to be fleeing refugees so they can get into Europe. I have no problem with the genuine people who are fleeing from war, but there is always going to be some chancers from ISIS trying to sneak in.

I think the ozzies fear the fighting drinking irish in much the same way

They don't have to let in any Irish. And didn't Australia invade Iraq? Some asylum seekers should go there.

A general law , you break it you own it would stop the adventurism.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

And then you move onto Europe, as if every country in Europe invaded Iraq. Utter nonsense.

Certainly the U.S. is responsible.

Look at all the European countries who supported the Arab Spring and the Free Syrian Army, rather than support Assad, bad and all that he is, what they have now is far worse.

Here is Ireland attending a conference in 2012 to try and make things worse for Syrians: http://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-to-take-part-in-friends-of-syria-conference-364554-Feb2012/

Now it is a battle between Assad and ISIS, and you hear nothing about Assad as he is fighting a common enemy.
    Ireland is not blameless.

Irish get a 1 year working holiday visa and if they have convictions they cant get in. Also Irish tend to blend into countries a lot more than muslims do in western countries.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Lol @ humanity

I's a bit messed up that Saudi Arabia funds so much terrorism and refuses to help refugees and yet we do so much business with Saudi Arabis, we let them into our colleges each year also.

This is on a side note but how come all the Saudis in our college are always men? Are colleges in Ireland also putting up with Saudis sexism?

If they had no oil and gas they would be told by world leaders what they really thought of them.

If they had no oil and gas they would be told by world leaders what they really thought of them.

Yeah, I was genuinely always wondering how the only Saudis I see around my campus are male. I was wondering are college really accepting students that are being picked over females, just because they are male.

Look at all the European countries who supported the Arab Spring and the Free Syrian Army, rather than support Assad, bad and all that he is, what they have now is far worse.

Here is Ireland attending a conference in 2012 to try and make things worse for Syrians: http://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-to-take-part-in-friends-of-syria-conference-364554-Feb2012/

Now it is a battle between Assad and ISIS, and you hear nothing about Assad as he is fighting a common enemy.
    Ireland is not blameless.

Firstly. I'm aware that the rebels in Syrian were funded by the U.S. And others. Do a search of my posts in politics ( and feel free to chime in).

I have a problem with generally saying the west. It's mostly US adventurism and its psychotic neo-con cabal. I mean look at Germany. What did it invade and look what's now doing. The "west" is inaccurate.

I firmly believe that the neocons deliberately wanted to destabilise the region, and destabilising Europe is a nice to have for that psychopathic cabal.

We have a moral duty but blaming Ireland because rabbitte turned up at a meeting a few years ago is nonsense.

We should try and divorce European politics from the U.S. as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

snubbleste wrote: »
    Bear in mind 1,120 are already scheduled the right to settle in Ireland. You can then apply to have family members live with you for humanitarian reasons. 1120 multiplied by X = ?

This is an aspect glossed over by so many.

Since c.70% of the current migrant flows are comprised of military-aged males,without verifiable Identity Documents,it is highly likely that the most stated homeland will be Syria.

The European State's have very little chance of contradicting such claims,and so,as the Greeks,Italians and others will do,they simply blind-eye the applicants as they head for Germany and the United Kingdom.

Once ensconced in these countries,the application for family reunification will be submitted quite rapidly,which will almost certainly see X equalling at least 4 additional family members including Parents,Grandparents and Children.

In Irelands case the State will be looking at somewhere in the region of 3,000 additional arrivals who will require the same assistance and funding as the original applicant.

How is this to be funded ?

Who will fund it ?

What level of service reduction are we prepared to accept,on top of those we already bemoan,in order to ensure we remain free of guilt pangs ?

It is de rigeur,these days to loudly praise Angela Merkel's 800,000 decision,but since we have almost universally derieded her for the past 5 years,perhaps rationality can be dispensed with this time round too ?

Germany,for all of the media portrayal,is far from solidly behind Chancellor Merkel on this scheme,and the opponents are NOT all neo-Nazi's.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Yeah, I was genuinely always wondering how the only Saudis I see around my campus are male. I was wondering are college really accepting students that are being picked over females, just because they are male.

I will go out on a limb here, I'm sure as a woman in Saudi Reason for visa being study outside Saudi. Is like hens teeth.

I will go out on a limb here, I'm sure as a woman in Saudi Reason for visa being study outside Saudi. Is like hens teeth.

Sorry, I don't really understand what you were trying to say there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

AlekSmart wrote: »
    This is an aspect glossed over by so many.

Since c.70% of the current migrant flows are comprised of military-aged males,without verifiable Identity Documents,it is highly likely that the most stated homeland will be Syria.

The European State's have very little chance of contradicting such claims,and so,as the Greeks,Italians and others will do,they simply blind-eye the applicants as they head for Germany and the United Kingdom.

Once ensconced in these countries,the application for family reunification will be submitted quite rapidly,which will almost certainly see X equalling at least 4 additional family members including Parents,Grandparents and Children.

In Irelands case the State will be looking at somewhere in the region of 3,000 additional arrivals who will require the same assistance and funding as the original applicant.

How is this to be funded ?

Who will fund it ?

What level of service reduction are we prepared to accept,on top of those we already bemoan,in order to ensure we remain free of guilt pangs ?

It is de rigeur,these days to loudly praise Angela Merkel's 800,000 decision,but since we have almost universally derieded her for the past 5 years,perhaps rationality can be dispensed with this time round too ?

Germany,for all of the media portrayal,is far from solidly behind Chancellor Merkel on this scheme,and the opponents are NOT all neo-Nazi's.

Of course. Europeans are far too thick to employ somebody who can recognise a Syrian accent, have a sufficient knowledge of Syrian areas etc to filter out blatant liars. Madness entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,024 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

strelok wrote: »
    'anti human propaganda'

jesus christ, graham linehan is such a twat

No. He's dead bloody right. These are people. These are humans and the way in which European countries and media are reacting is shameful.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Firstly. I'm aware that the rebels in Syrian were funded by the U.S. And others. Do a search of my posts in politics ( and feel free to chime in).

I have a problem with generally saying the west. It's mostly US adventurism and its psychotic neo-con cabal. I mean look at Germany. What did it invade and look what's now doing. The "west" is inaccurate.

I firmly believe that the neocons deliberately wanted to destabilise the region, and destabilising Europe is a nice to have for that psychopathic cabal.

We have a moral duty but blaming Ireland because rabbitte turned up at a meeting a few years ago is nonsense.

We should try and divorce European politics from the U.S. as much as possible.

Eamon Gilmore was a cheerleader for the free Syrian army, where are the free Syria army now?
    Germany also supported the FSA.

It was taking sides in a civil war and making things worse, creating a power vacuum which has been filled by ISIS on one side and Assad on the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Irish get a 1 year working holiday visa and if they have convictions they cant get in. Also Irish tend to blend into countries a lot more than muslims do in western countries.

Thats more than generalisation

• Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So what is the acceptable figure that people would like Ireland to take in?

"Just let them in" is kinda vague, and this was the attitude last night when it was being discussed on TV3 as well when Tom McGurk was asking the same question.

North Africa, Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan are big places, we're only a few months into this and thousands are arriving everyday, if the 28 countries don't soon come up with a solution on how to handle this then the chaos we see now in Hungary and Greece will be only the tip of the iceberg IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Eamon Gilmore was a cheerleader for the free Syrian army, where are the free Syria army now?

It was taking sides in a civil war and making things worse, creating a power vacuum which has been filled by ISIS on one side and Assad on the other.

Doubtless their crystal ball was down at the time.

Nodin wrote: »

Well people will never learn, you will hear all the cheerleaders for Hillary Clinton, and she was looking to bomb Syria, but Putin put her back in her box and stopped making a very bad situation getting worse.
    The same Hillary Clinton who told the Irish they should support the invasion of Iraq.
    Anything she had to do with the middle east always made it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

The problem is in the countries and parts of countries overrun by ISIS not Europe. hat's where the permanent solution lies. The temporary solution is here but it is unsustainable.

We (ie Europe) have to take all refugees, but temporarily. We can't say X per year or anything else: imagine if we had the benefit of 2015 hindsight in 1935. Wouldn't we (well, not the Germans I suppose) have said that we would take all the Jews of Germany and Austria until Germany is a safe place again, not forever.

We are facing the same situation now.

I never thought I'd say this but ISIS needs to be attacked with boots on the ground. I know it's harder with a non-conventional nation as your enemy but whatever about creating a faceless enemy, there is nothing we can do about that. But if ISIS can take control of whole areas then we have a short term choice: genocide or migrants. And a long term choice: defeat ISIS as a quasi-nation or watch it grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Germany have an ageing population and haven't large numbers of children being born to take up the employment and taxes that will be needed to pay the pensions and keep the nation going in the future.

If only they could think of a solution to this problem...

He turned up at a meeting. That's hardly john McCain meeting the rebels level of complicity.

The problem with this horlicks is that it removes blame from the actual perpetrators who always wanted a destabilised Middle East.

Blame the yanks.

Nodin wrote: »

It wouldn't be too hard to work out that getting rid of a secular dictator is not going to work.

Thats more than generalisation

What is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,012 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i was debating all day to view that pic or not. its as bad as i thought it was gonna be. this is a complete cluster f*ck. we humans should be ashamed of ourselves for allowing this to happen. ive no idea how we solve this one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement