Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should smoking be banned completely ?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

No, I should be smoke if I choose.
    MadDog76 wrote: »
    Fixed your post for you ......... now I agree with it! :)

Most smokers start - and (most importantly) get hooked - before they're 18. Without under-age smoking, there wouldn't be much of a tobacco industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

RayM wrote: »
    Most smokers start - and (most importantly) get hooked - before they're 18. Without under-age smoking, there wouldn't be much of a tobacco industry.
    Underage smokers can least afford them so I don't think they would keeping the tobacco industry going. I know people that started smoking in their twenties and and also people in their forties.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Wouldn't banning alcohol be a much better idea with all the problems it causes.

What problems does it cause moderate drinkers seeing that they are the majority of drinkers?

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Underage smokers can least afford them so I don't think they would keeping the tobacco industry going. I know people that started smoking in their twenties and and also people in their forties.

In Ireland, the average age for starting smoking is 17. In other words, most smokers start before they're mature enough to make such a life-changing decision. I know lots of people who started when they were 13 or 14, but not so many who started beyond their teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

In Ireland, the average age for starting smoking is 17. In other words, most smokers start before they're mature enough to make such a life-changing decision.

17 is 1 year before 18. they don't suddenly become mature at 18, nor is it guaranteed that they aren't mature before it. legally however they aren't allowed to buy or smoke ciggarettes at 17

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

17 is 1 year before 18. they don't suddenly become mature at 18, nor is it guaranteed that they aren't mature before it. legally however they aren't allowed to buy or smoke ciggarettes at 17

If everyone waited until they were over 18 before deciding whether to smoke, there would be far, far fewer smokers. The tobacco industry benefits massively from this.

I can understand smokers defending their 'right' to consume substances to which they are chemically addicted, but it's not often you see someone defending Big Tobacco's right to produce carcinogens.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Yes, the price should be increased to €15 a pack.
    Threads like these really make you think what people are... or should I say certain people.

"I dont like smoking so I think it should be banned!" - geez get off your high horse will ya.

If everyone waited until they were over 18 before deciding whether to smoke, there would be far, far fewer smokers.

absolutely no evidence to prove that
    The tobacco industry benefits massively from this.

not really.
    I can understand smokers defending their 'right' to consume substances to which they are chemically addicted, but it's not often you see someone defending Big Tobacco's right to produce carcinogens.

i'm not a smoker actually

absolutely no evidence to prove that

It is a fact that the majority of smokers start when they are under 18 (i.e. legally too young to make an educated decision on something that may well have a profound effect on their future). If we are to accept that they start smoking as a result of peer pressure (and I'd fucking love to see you attempt to refute that), is it not reasonable to conclude that most would make a different decision as adults? If the tobacco industry is to survive, it requires a constant stream of new customers to replace those who quit or die. Therefore, it benefits hugely from kids making silly decisions.

It seems that you're determined to get the 'last word', even if it means posting any old drivel. By all means, carry on with your piss-poor attempts at defending the tobacco industry. Or alternatively, maybe you could have a long, hard look at yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

I started at 13. Not a boast by the way. You are right of course. Start them underage and they have a percentage of your earnings all of your life. Same with kiddy meals at McDonald's. I gave up at 40 so that was 27 years. Start at 40 and die at 67....same thing

• Advertisement

It is a fact that the majority of smokers start when they are under 18 (i.e. legally too young to make an educated decision on something that may well have a profound effect on their future). If we are to accept that they start smoking as a result of peer pressure (and I'd ****ing love to see you attempt to refute that), is it not reasonable to conclude that most would make a different decision as adults? If the tobacco industry is to survive, it requires a constant stream of new customers to replace those who quit or die. Therefore, it benefits hugely from kids making silly decisions.

It seems that you're determined to get the 'last word', even if it means posting any old drivel. By all means, carry on with your piss-poor attempts at defending the tobacco industry. Or alternatively, maybe you could have a long, hard look at yourself.
    i'm not interested in having the last word. they are only to young to purchase and take something. not to young to make an educated decisian as being under 18 doesn't mean your uneducated, and that once you reach 18 you suddenly are educated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

The Government is answerable to the People (or it should be) .......... the People of Ireland will be asking a lot of questions if smoking was banned.

"Why can't I make my own decision?"

Because you've shown that your ability to make intelligent decisions is very inconsistent, so we're going to have to step in and protect your health for you.

"Why are our prisons so over-crowded?"

Our justice systems focuses too much on punishment and not enough on prevention and rehabilitation. It's about laying good foundations at a very early stage

"Why are Cigarette Dealers so wealthy?"

Don't have to pay tax.

"Why are the Guards under so much pressure?"

Understaffed.

"Why is our economy worse off than ever?"

Incompetent leadership

"Why are our elected Politicians corrupt?"

Power causes corruption. System as it stands breeds corruption. Politicians are interested in the job for the wrong reasons and those that aren't are forced to work within fundamentally broken framework.

"When are you going to end this stupid ban and all the problems it brought with it??!!"

When doing so helps them to stay in power

Honestly didn't expect someone to come along and try (admittedly quite badly and incoherently) to defend the tobacco industry...

Their entire business model is reliant upon getting children hooked on carcinogens.

It's as evil as MacDonalds, or Guinness, whose entire business models are reliant upon children getting hooked on unhealthy food that leads to obesity, alcohol that produces such huge and immediate social problems such as violence along with the health problems, and so on. Indeed with happy meals and alcopops, those industries have shown a willingness to put a "we are specifically aimed at kids" neon sign above their products.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Shergar6

yes

Shergar6 wrote: »
    yes

so, where would the trillions come from to both
    1. enforce such a ban and all the costs that go with it
    2. replace the lost revenue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

so, where would the trillions come from to both
    1. enforce such a ban and all the costs that go with it
    2. replace the lost revenue

I don't think this "we hate smoking so it must be banned" lot have really thought the whole thing through tbh.

I don't think this "we hate smoking so it must be banned" lot have really thought the whole thing through tbh.
    i know, but its always worth asking one who agrees with a ban such questions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

So, should it be banned completely ?
    Sure let's ban climbing mountains too because people are stupid enough to climb and get killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I always laugh when I see this thread made. Banning cigarettes will result in Christmas for the criminal gangs and smugglers of Ireland. This is the complete opposite of what needs to be done, yet the nanny state seems to want to dictate what we should and should not do. All drugs should be legalised and regulated, including heroin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Yes, the price should be increased to €15 a pack.
    It's getting really '1984' all up in here.

OP, you're not my real mom!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

All drugs should be legalised and regulated, including heroin.
    There would be less heroin deaths as it would be cleaner/safer to inject with less impurities added. What's missing in Ireland is a highly infectious common sense virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

fiachr_a wrote: »
    There would be less heroin deaths as it would be cleaner/safer to inject with less impurities added. What's missing in Ireland is a highly infectious common sense virus.
    A drug like heroin being illegal or legal isn't going to stop addicts sourcing it and using it. Using heroin in a safer and controlled environment will lead to less problems. Even if cigarettes became illegal and unregulated who only knows what crap you'll get in black market cigarettes and what health problems they could cause.

There is also the mentality that something being illegal makes some people want to try it. If cigarettes were made illegal it would probably make them 'cool' again, especially to teenagers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

No, the price should be decreased, I shouldn't be financially punished for choosing to smoke.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/michael-noonan-signals-potential-hike-in-the-price-of-cigarettes-in-next-months-budget-31519947.html

Price of cigarettes to increase in the upcoming budget. :):)

The Black Market Cigarette Dealers will be happy. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

The Black Market Cigarette Dealers will be happy. :):)
    They also get easier to find with each raise. I've had people ask me in passing if I wanted to buy cheap cigarettes on nights out.
    Never used to happen before all this started.

They also get easier to find with each raise. I've had people ask me in passing if I wanted to buy cheap cigarettes on nights out.
    Never used to happen before all this started.

They are literally everywhere ........ I was having a smoke outside of work today with three colleagues, all three of them were smoking Black Market cigarettes ....... they were actually shocked that I was still smoking "Irish" cigarettes!

One of them joked that I must be over-paid if I can afford to buy cigarettes from a shop! :D

Advertisement