Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should smoking be banned completely ?

Options
  • 02-09-2015 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

I hate smoking. I always have, and all ways will. My grandad died of lung cancer in 1994, I was born in 96 so i never met him. He smoked everyday from the age of 12 to when he died aged 66.

When I was 14 all my mates used to smoke in school, I couldn't stand the smell of them so I stopped hanging out with these lads. Even now when I'm in town, I hate standing behind some one who lights up, the smell makes me sick.

The one thing I look forward to in the budget every year is the price of cigarettes going up. I hope this encourages people to stop buying them, or it makes them stop because they cant afford it.

So, should it be banned completely ?

Should smoking be banned completely ? 327 votes

Yes, I think its a horrible thing.
    0%
    No, I should be smoke if I choose.
    39%
    SupercellSpearNeVeRomahaidmachiavellianmenxbyveromdwjpgdemanufacturedLia_liaMyPeopleDrankTheSoupelekidbad2dabonekollegeknightchopperbyrneInquituszarquonsdanseoJJJJNRollaettaEvd-BurnerMonkeyTennis 129 votes
    Yes, the price should be increased to €15 a pack.
    45%
    super_furryneGevsmoking_killswesthe_barfly1spoofilyjspatchcoenda1[Deleted User]MickerooninebeanrowsminotourWibbscichlid childbikoBorat_Sagdiyevjanney5veliktomAndrewf20ytpe2r5bxkn0c1 149 votes
    No, the price should be decreased, I shouldn't be financially punished for choosing to smoke.
    14%
    BigConDoodah7Skatedudekeano_afctoxofBizzyC[Deleted User]Aisling(",)CB19Kevofoggy_laddooloxirish_goatmickstuppCitizenpainThargorsynesthesiaIancar29laughVanishingActsAgricola 49 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

No

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Yes they should ban it.

They should also ban alcohol.

And cheese.

And crisps.

And cream cakes.

And chocolate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

No, the price should be decreased, I shouldn't be financially punished for choosing to smoke.
    It will be eventually.

The ever increasing cost, the anti-smoking campaigns and the smoking ban are incremental steps towards banning smoking.
    I'm not sure how vaping fits into this regards the health implications, but I'm sure there'll be a clamp down on that soon enough.

Personally I don't care if people smoke or not, so long as I don't have to sit in it.

Does it annoy you if you see someone smoking or only if ya can smell it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Not another one of these "ban whatever others do (that's none of my business)" threads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,675 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Nope. While I'm all for understanding you would wish to encourage people to quit smoking, any attempts to ban it completely are likely to have the opposite effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Nope I'm sorry to hear off your experience but it can never be banned completely. Restrictions like no smoking in public buildings and no smoking in cars are as far as the law can go to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Controls on the levels of toxins and addictive agents in them would be a start. Gradually reduce the permitted levels over time.

Prohibition has never solved anything, it just creates black markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

thelad95 wrote: »
    it can never be banned completely.
    They have banned plenty of other drugs which were previously available. Cocaine could at one time be bought over the counter in dublin pharmcies without prescription. Not sure if you were saying its usage would never be stopped, which can be said about any banned recreational drug.

To keep it in line with the current drug laws, then yes tobacco and alcohol should be banned or else the government are being hypocritical. Of course it would have huge impact on the economy.

Though I drink and smoke I would love to see both banned, if just temporarily, to give the smug hypocritical cunts a taste of their own medicine, having to deal with dealers and unregulated products.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

If they ban smoking they'd have to ban so much thats bad for health.
    Sugar being a huge one.
    Tea.
    Alcohol.
    Saturated fats.
    That sugar replacement stuff.
    The list goes on, and on, and on.
    People have a choice of what they put into their body.
    Smokers know the risk they take as do people who eat processed crap. People that drink know its not good. People still give their kids sweets when we all know how bad sugar is.
    The acid in tea damages your intestines and prevents iron absorption.
    I doubt that will ever be banned. Especially in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

sm213 wrote: »
    They'd have to??

sure they banned loads of recreational drugs they deem to be "bad for health" but did not ban sugar. Whats so different about this recreational drug?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Sugar being a huge one.
    Tea.
    Alcohol.
    Saturated fats.
    That sugar replacement stuff.
    The list goes on, and on, and on.
    People have a choice of what they put into their body.
    Smokers know the risk they take as do people who eat processed crap. People that drink know its not good. People still give their kids sweets when we all know how bad sugar is.
    The acid in tea damages your intestines and prevents iron absorption.
    I doubt that will ever be banned. Especially in Ireland.
    They could ban cigarettes and only them. They wouldn't have to ban anything else.

Sure people have a choice of what they put into their body, because they are given the right to choose. but not for everything. Some things, the laws completely forbid, like heroin.

Even if there is an argument that the consistent thing to do would be to ban all that other stuff, there is nothing that says the laws must be consistent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Triangla wrote: »
    Yes they should ban it.

They should also ban alcohol.

And cheese.

And crisps.

And cream cakes.

And chocolate.

Jaysus, that's my life down the pan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Tea.
    In study after study it has been shown that tea drinking both black and green is of benefit to health.
    Alcohol.
    In low doses it also seems at worst harmless at best beneficial.
    Saturated fats.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with saturated fats. They were demonised on the back of some very dubious "studies". Some of the popular and cheap veggie oils on the other hand...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

They'll never ban smoking because the revenue loss would be too much.

But, ffs, op. If people choose to smoke then they choose to smoke. I'm sorry you never met your granddad but I never met my grandmother who died from complications of crippling poverty, and her husband died of alcoholism, but I don't see them banning poverty or booze; and at least smokers just kill themselves, not ruin the lives of their entire families.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I hate smoking. I always have, and all ways will. My grandad died of lung cancer in 1994, I was born in 96 so i never met him. He smoked everyday from the age of 12 to when he died aged 66.

When I was 14 all my mates used to smoke in school, I couldn't stand the smell of them so I stopped hanging out with these lads. Even now when I'm in town, I hate standing behind some one who lights up, the smell makes me sick.

The one thing I look forward to in the budget every year is the price of cigarettes going up. I hope this encourages people to stop buying them, or it makes them stop because they cant afford it.

If they were €20 a packet people will still smoke them. Just imagine if they banned them outright all the involuntary ex smokers would be like viragos around the place :) They are like soothers to adults, I can't figure out why people pay so much for a product that will damage their health.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

kylith wrote: »
    They'll never ban smoking because the revenue loss would be too much.

But, ffs, op. If people choose to smoke then they choose to smoke. I'm sorry you never met your granddad but I never met my grandmother who died from complications of crippling poverty, and her husband died of alcoholism, but I don't see them banning poverty or booze; and at least smokers just kill themselves, not ruin the lives of their entire families.

Did you ever hear of second hand smoke? If you were ever in a pub before the smoking ban you'd know what it's like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Mad hey have such strict controls on medication in case of side effects yet they openly sell cigarettes which kills one
    In three smokers.

It's mad when you think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

The one thing I look forward to in the budget every year is the price of cigarettes going up. I hope this encourages people to stop buying them

It doesn't. Makes people be more inventive about where they get them, that's about it.

It's a pretty stupid habit and one I wished I never started but banning? Nah. Aside from anything else, the Gov of the day would be booted out in no time due to the budget cuts needed thanks to the loss of tobacco revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Yes let's ban everything. I need a government official running every facet of my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Did you ever hear of second hand smoke? If you were ever in a pub before the smoking ban you'd know what it's like.

See those 2 dangly things growing out of your ass? Use them

Smoking is banned in most indoor spaces already, you're at far greater risk from the emissions of vehicles in any city or town than you are from second hand smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sam Kade wrote: »

I was, and I do, and they've banned that. And if you're not a smoker or living with a smoker the long-term risk is essentially nil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Yes let's ban everything. I need a government official running every facet of my life.

Department of Agriculture says you need to stop loving sheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

Nah, there's already a gigantic black market for tobacco on this country, it'd just step up to take on the bulk of the legitimate market.

I do think some better regulation would be the way to go. I'd only have it sold in tobacconists. Not in newsagents etc, sitting up there directly in the eyeliner of everyone behind the registers, as an impulse item. That really doesn't help people trying to quit.
    Things like that.

Also I don't want it near schools. I don't want it sold to children! In my city, we'd keep the traffic in the Dark People, the Coloreds - they're animals anyway, so let them lose their souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

OneOfThem wrote: »
    Nah, there's already a gigantic black market for tobacco on this country, it'd just step up to take on the bulk of the legitimate market.

I do think some better regulation would be the way to go. I'd only have it sold in tobacconists. Not in newsagents etc, sitting up there directly in the eyeliner of everyone behind the registers, as an impulse item. That really doesn't help people trying to quit.
    Things like that.

Also I don't want it near schools. I don't want it sold to children! In my city, we'd keep the traffic in the Dark People, the Coloreds - they're animals anyway, so let them lose their souls.

There's already a law which requires tobacco products to not be on display in shops

Hollister11 sounds exactly like a Hollister wearer.

Next week, why beards should be compulsory man...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don't be daft. Banning something won't make people stop doing it, especially if they're physically addicted. All it will do is line the pockets of smugglers and dealer and we'll end up spending billions trying to enforce the ban and on punishing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

No thats stupid, they should ban smoking because some people like you hate the smell of it? Well you say its a health concern but chocolate and crisps and chips makes you fat and alcohol causes liver damage, so both, like smoking, cause health concerns if over used. And you might say smoking affects other peoples lives not just the user, but so does alcohol when over used. Drunk people cause car crashes, cause fights etc..so I don't see how you could fight for a ban on smoking and not alcohol (which will obviously never happen)

So no smoking shouldn't be banned, people should be allowed to do it if they want. And just for the record, Im completely against it and find it to be an abhorrent habit, if I ever had a child and caught them smoking they'd be getting a right talking to and a good clip around the ear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Fieldog wrote: »
    Not another one of these "ban whatever others do (that's none of my business)" threads

It is my business if my taxes are being used to treat (with medication and services) the resulting conditions caused by smoking.

I smoked from 22 years and the best thing I ever did was stop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Breathing in car fumes is bad for you lets ban them.

Advertisement