Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony xperia z5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Hi guys,

So I am thinking about z5 compact but have heard mixed reviews - what is the general consensus, would you guys recommend the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sadesh

Got Sony Xperia Z5 Premium yesterday, using it since 24 hrs, Its a stunning device
    the chrome model is just awesome, wonderfull piece of electronics it is... great camera... great perfomence...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭cmac2009

T-K-O wrote: »
    Hi guys,

So I am thinking about z5 compact but have heard mixed reviews - what is the general consensus, would you guys recommend the phone?

I was in the same boat as you for the last couple of months. Was waiting to see if it would come down around xmas. Have decided to leave it in the end as there seems to be too many issue's being reported for a phone that isn't exactly cheap. Also,when looking at it again the shop before xmas it is quite thick.

Still trying to decide on what phone to get that isn't a phablet! Which is most phones these days

cmac2009 wrote: »
    I was in the same boat as you for the last couple of months. Was waiting to see if it would come down around xmas. Have decided to leave it in the end as there seems to be too many issue's being reported for a phone that isn't exactly cheap. Also,when looking at it again the shop before xmas it is quite thick.

Still trying to decide on what phone to get that isn't a phablet! Which is most phones these days

I hear ya!

My current phone, the first Xperia Z is just about done. Plus I will get a discount on the phone via my work. Yeah It is quite thick but I would prefer the smaller phone this time around.

Interesting to hear if the updates had a positive effect on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

T-K-O wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Been using the Z5C since it came out, was using the Z1C before and its a nice upgrade,Smoother, better performance, better screen, camera bit better.
    And lollipop update should be out in a few weeks.
    I like the capless waterproof usb port, so no need for adapters.

• Advertisement

billbond4 wrote: »
    Been using the Z5C since it came out, was using the Z1C before and its a nice upgrade,Smoother, better performance, better screen, camera bit better.
    And lollipop update should be out in a few weeks.
    I like the capless waterproof usb port, so no need for adapters.

Thanks for that, have you had an issue with power / over heating ?

sometimes its gets a bit warm when the kids are watching youtube for an hour, but it doesnt slow down or anything and it doesnt stay warm for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

I'm in two minds about the Z5 compact. I have a Note 3 at the moment and I've been out of contract a few months. There's good deals on Vodafone for this, 99 euro and 40 a month but they throw in Spotify premium as well. I want a smaller phone as I'm done with the phablets, I'll get an 8in tablet for travel for reading media content.

I love the look of the compact and it's battery life, specs etc. But browsing the Xperia forums is definitely a concern. I don't think the overheating would concern me as I don't plan on 4K video recording, but the cracked screens and touchscreen issue are a worry.

But on the other hand, an iPhone 6 is 350 quid up front for 40 a month on the same Vodafone plan...I can't see that the iPhone is 250 quid better than the Z5. I could get the Sony and the Nvidia Shield Tablet for the price of that iPhone!

touchscreen issues were only on white z5 with first firmware,it was fixed in next release.
    for cracked screens,i havent seen a huge amount of posts about it online on sony support forum or other blogs,so i wouldnt be concerned about it.
    im using z5c since it came out and had no issues with it

Marshmallow is rolling out for the Z5 series today, check here to see when your model gets it
    https://xpericheck.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Hopefully the update improves the battery life. I see ID mobile got the update. Doesn't look like any other Irish carrier has it yet.

Its available for Vodafone and ID now, use the PC Companion

xpericheck.com is pretty useless so as it's showing Vodafone IE 'unknown'. Thanks billbond4. I'm on Meteor, so will just have to wait. I've checked on PC Companion too.

actually thats my bad, i was looking on the Z5 Compact page, where it lists the vf Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Checked my sim free one with pc companion and no update yet

Keep an eye on xpericheck.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Trying to activate automatic network selection on my Xperia Z5 but when I go to More | Mobile Networks | Network Operators, there is no Search Mode option and it just immediately searches for networks for me to manually select?

The user guides says this option should be there? Can anybody else get this option? Cheers.

let it do the search first.
    Then at the top of the list, there is a Search Mode, that you can change

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

billbond4 wrote: »
    let it do the search first.
    Then at the top of the list, there is a Search Mode, that you can change

I don't get the Search Mode option on the list of returned Networks.

Do you mind me asking you what network you're with?

Meteor Z5 marshmallow update available from this morning via the PC software. Just did the update and hope the battery life improves. It's a shame that Sony removed Stamina mode.

• Advertisement

I don't get the Search Mode option on the list of returned Networks.

Do you mind me asking you what network you're with?

im on VF

Meteor Z5 marshmallow update available from this morning via the PC software. Just did the update and hope the battery life improves. It's a shame that Sony removed Stamina mode.

Stamina mode will be coming back in late April, but as its so similar to Doze mode, i think it will only really be the Ultra Stamina Mode

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

Can it be updated over the air without pc because mine is goosed at the moment. I'm with Vodafone

I think it will be a while, as the update is quiet large nearly 2GB

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

Just checked there and ita available. 1.258gb stop pretty hefty file. I'll get it later I think!

Update was there this morning for mine updating now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭benny79

lads I recently got the z5 compact on VF and everything was grand for the first week now Im having awful trouble! It wont connect to some wi-fi's all do it finds the connecting I ve entered the right password just said connected, no internet, also since friday my data rooming has gone Ie I have no internet connection at all. I have been onto vf custom service and been to 3 shops, I bought it in the carphone warehouse in ashleaf shopping centre. And was to to bring it back there and they'll exchange it! went back today and the girl in the shop said its cas I have viber on my phone that viber is a virus!! to delete it.

I told her I never heard such bull in all my life that I had it on all my phones all my mates have it and there's no problems... Anyway she has'nt got 1 in stock so I have to go to liffely valley or the square anyone experience the same problems I switched over from meteor pre-pay to bill with vf!!

Oh I deleted viber and its still the same!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭leche solara

benny79 wrote: »
    lads I recently got the z5 compact on VF and everything was grand for the first week now Im having awful trouble! It wont connect to some wi-fi's all do it finds the connecting I ve entered the right password just said connected, no internet, also since friday my data rooming has gone Ie I have no internet connection at all. I have been onto vf custom service and been to 3 shops, I bought it in the carphone warehouse in ashleaf shopping centre. And was to to bring it back there and they'll exchange it! went back today and the girl in the shop said its cas I have viber on my phone that viber is a virus!! to delete it.

I told her I never heard such bull in all my life that I had it on all my phones all my mates have it and there's no problems... Anyway she has'nt got 1 in stock so I have to go to liffely valley or the square anyone experience the same problems I switched over from meteor pre-pay to bill with vf!!

Oh I deleted viber and its still the same!!

Phone companies would prefer if you used their service instead of Viber as they arent making any money from you when you use Viber, but to call it a virus is a stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭benny79

I know but I went to the car phone warehouse so there not attached to any network so to speak!

• Advertisement

benny79 wrote: »
    I know but I went to the car phone warehouse so there not attached to any network so to speak!

Sounds like your device is faulty I'm afraid. I've actually found the z5 to be very poor on wifi but it seems to have improved a bit since updating to marshmallow

Advertisement