Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Automatic or manual!?

Options
  • 29-08-2015 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Just as it says on the tin... "Automatic or manual?" Which would you get?

Which? 140 votes

Automatic
    2% 3 votes
    Manual
    53% 75 votes
    Automaticmanual
    37% 52 votes
    This is a weird poll/thread
    7% 10 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Depends, I now drive an auto as I've a chronic injury in my left knee so any long trips/city centre driving causes me severe pain in a manual.

OH drives an auto as he's simply lazy and prefers it

I don't think I'd ever go back to manual

• Registered Users Posts: 73,410 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's not really that simple....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Current car is an automatic and I found previously that I had lower back pain after a long car journey, I think it was a combination of pressing the clutch and movement of the back.

It is much less now as I am not pressing the clutch, and the gear changes are smoother.

I would recommend an automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

This isnt a question with a black or white answer. The answer is, it depends. What kind of car/engine do you want, what kind of driver are you, where do you drive - city or countryside, are your journeys short etc. People will argue one way or the other but there's no right answer here until OP gives details.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Manual with antilag :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Auto for commuting, manual for the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Riddler87

Ok so... Recently passed my driving test (happy out) and I've arteritis in my right leg (I am 27) and I find driving with a manual a little sore on the leg. Mind you, it's not overly sore but, let's say, I can still feel it... Hence, why I am asking the question...

Don't use clutch with right leg = Sorted

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Auto for commuting, manual for the weekends.

In an ideal world that's what I'd have, would love something like my old gtv back for a blast at the weekends, but it was a fecker for commuting :)
    Riddler87 wrote: »
    Ok so... Recently passed my driving test (happy out) and I've arteritis in my right leg (I am 27) and I find driving with a manual a little sore on the leg. Mind you, it's not overly sore but, let's say, I can still feel it... Hence, why I am asking the question...

To be honest, given that it's your right leg which is your accelerator leg, it's irrelevant if it's manual or auto, your right leg will still do the same amount of work.

My knee injury is my left leg, which would be my clutching leg, which is why an auto suits me.

Riddler87 wrote: »

Either car will have the accelerator on the right though.
    Cruise control is what you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Manuals are for the lowly peasantry :pac:

Manuals are for the lowly peasantry :pac:

NO Fox, cars without leather, cruise control and aircon are for the peasantry :pac:

unicorn_monocle.LR_.WM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Stheno wrote: »
    NO Fox, cars without leather, cruise control and aircon are for the peasantry :pac:

Lucky mine has all the above and auto :pac:

mug-meme-feel-like-a-sir.jpg

Lucky mine has all the above and auto :pac:

So does mine, I don't want to look like that though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

An automatic makes city driving a breeze. I got stuck in jam after jam on Friday & would've loved if my car had been automatic.
    I find driving an automatic generally a bit...well.... boring.... but that's only because I am of the opinion that driving bumper cars is sufficient driving training for them. But that's really my opinion only. My stateside friends think it's an absolute joke that anyone would wonder about getting a 'stick shift' in a modern car.

As i get older and more decrepid i want an auto more and more

But feck that i want an M5 more :p

• Registered Users Posts: 65,061 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Manuals in any car interesting to drive will be gone very soon

Ferrari have stated years ago that they will never make a manual car again.

Clutch pedals belong as my 9 year old girl says "to the olden days"

That said, I love driving my wee sporty MGF. Mid engined, rear wheel drive with manual transmission :)

I'm a dinosaur, the world belongs to the younger people. Manual gearboxes be gone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I'll never buy another manual car again, I've had several automatics over the years, mostly back when they were a bit of a novelty. I've had a couple of manuals since then but my current one is a manual. I also have a dodgy left knee and it's a dream since I abandoned the manual. Last week I went on a bit of a road trip and ended up driving a manual for a while, my knee was killing me for days afterwards, it really was uncomfortable.
    My current car has a DSG box with auto, sports and tiptronic manual, I only ever use the normal auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭freddieot

I've driven autos since I had my hip replaced back a few years back. I'd agree that older aurto boxes (4/5 gears) did not give the same control feel that you get with a manual box. Often for any manual intervention, you had to push it into a manual mode or pull the lever (after pressing a button) into the different gears. All a bit 'messy' if you are a keen driver etc.

However, last car had a six speed auto with a neat +and - manual option.
    The current one has an 8 speed auto also with the + and - on the stick but more importantly with paddles on the steering wheel.

Realistically I think it is more controllable than any manual I have ever driven. No problem trashing it about if that's your thing or sit back and let it do all the work.

With mpg differences also becoming less between manual and auto on these new machines, I'd never have a manual car again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Wouldn't go near a PRNDL box, just don't find them very interesting. One step away from a Google driverless car *yawn*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Older performance car - manual.
    Newer performance car - dual clutch auto, dsg, pdk and so on.
    Luxobarge - auto.
    City car - auto.
    No CVT's please.

That's how I'd pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

depends on the specific auto box or manual.. not all manual transmissions were created equal :D A good auto is better than a bad feeling manual, and a bad auto is a deal breaker for a whole car

DSG and all the fancy faster than humanly possible with a manual is good. but slow auto boxes are annoying sometimes you just want to ask what were they thinking when putting them into nice cars

watched a video on youtube comparing a manual bmw M3 to the dual clutch version. They ended up deciding they preferred the manual because it 'felt like they had a better connection to the car' ..**** that! i'd take launch control and XXms shifts over a semi auto manual box that rev matches for you and stops you from shifting into the wrong gear

tractors had dsg 15 years ago :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Automatic is nicer

Poll added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Not mad about that poll. So I drive a manual - and I like it. It's a 1.4 litre hatchback. I don't think being auto would be nice for that car.
    My sister used to have a bmw 325 - an automatic. That was a lovely lovely car to drive. Being auto was just right for that car.
    My parents have an automatic auris - I think that's awful. Boring car to drive, and being auto nearly turns it into a mobility scooter.
    So I like both depending on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,161 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I drive an auto and love it. Great for city driving and also motorway driving where your cruising in top gear anyway, switch to Sport mode then when I'm pushing on. Car shifts gears seamlessly too and never gets caught in the wrong gear when you put the foot down. Drive it in manual mode using the steering wheel paddle shifters on the twisty roads too so best of both worlds really and no clutching to annoy me.

I'd find it hard to go back to a manual car but it really would depend on the car, some manual boxes suit certain cars than autos and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Automatics are for old people.

Manuals are for flat-pack furniture

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭micks_address

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Manuals are for flat-pack furniture

Before a few work trips to the US I'd have always said manual and my current car is manual. I'm pretty sure my next car will be automatic.. Changing gear manually seems unnecessary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

As i get older and more decrepid i want an auto more and more

But feck that i want an M5 more :p

Didn't BMW want to get rid of the manual for the M5? Keeping it around for the American marker because they associate Manual with Sporty. And that's purely down to decades of ****e, slow 3 and 4 speed autoboxes on the majority of their cars. I've no idea why you'd want manual over a modern auto which is faster and more economical.

Advertisement