Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OAP Weekend lineup on 2fm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

AnthonyCny wrote: »
    Eoghan McDermot is the standard DJ-bot that's on 2FM these days.

Reading stuff off internet for content. And zero control over music, just play whatever the computer says.

Might as well be a computer program presenting most 2FM shows.

Completely disagree on that, quite enjoy Eoghan McDermot actually.

As for "reading stuff off the internet" you just described every single radio show in Ireland...and nowadays every single news channel. Yes there is a playlist for music, like every other station in Ireland, but I have found McDermot often drifts off that...and the last 30 mins of his Friday show is all requests. He is a talented presenter and IMO the best on the 2FM weekday schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

IUA14 wrote: »

As for "reading stuff off the internet" you just described every single radio show in Ireland...and nowadays every single news channel. Yes there is a playlist for music, like every other station in Ireland, but I have found McDermot often drifts off that...and the last 30 mins of his Friday show is all requests. He is a talented presenter and IMO the best on the 2FM weekday schedule.

I think when he leaves he COULD join BBC Radio 1 (although he is probably a bit old). Personally, he would be my choice to replace Nick Grimshaw on breakfast when Nick goes. His contract expires this year and I am not sure if he has renewed it or not. When Eoghan leaves I think he will be either replaced by Chris and Ciara, or Stephen and Blathnaid. I can't think of anyone else within 2FM who would likely take over, unless they decide to promote Tracy Clifford into the slot. But when EMcD goes he deserves a bigger and better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

I think when he leaves he will join BBC Radio 1. He would be my choice to replace Nick Grimshaw on breakfast when Nick goes. His contract expires this year and I am not sure if he has renewed it or not. When Eoghan leaves I think he will be either replaced by Chris and Ciara, or Stephen and Blathnaid. I can't think of anyone else within 2FM who would likely take over, unless they decide to promote Tracy Clifford into the slot. But when EMcD goes he deserves a bigger and better job.

Not a hope of that. For someone, relatively unknown in the UK, to be parachuted in to the breakfast show on BBC Radio 1...will never happen. They will, as they have done in the past, promote from within with Greg James most likely. As for Eoghan McDermot going to BBC Radio 1 at all, don't see it. They have plenty of young presenters waiting in the wings for weekday slots when they come up.

I don't see him leaving 2FM anytime soon, and if he ever was to, yes Chirs and Ciara are an option, as is Dara Quilty (and maybe Brian Maher).

Not a hope of that. For someone, relatively unknown in the UK, to be parachuted in to the breakfast show on BBC Radio 1...will never happen. They will, as they have done in the past, promote from within with Greg James most likely. As for Eoghan McDermot going to BBC Radio 1 at all, don't see it. They have plenty of young presenters waiting in the wings for weekday slots when they come up.

I don't see him leaving 2FM anytime soon, and if he ever was to, yes Chirs and Ciara are an option, as is Dara Quilty (and maybe Brian Maher).

Didn't Eoghan do drivetime on Xfm in the UK? I think he even covered for Danny Wallace on their breakfast show! So he's not completely unknown in the UK. I think I said that in an earlier post and that he presented Celebrity Super Spa for Channel 5 in 2013. It's likely RTÉ gave him a better offer. His contract is up this year but I think he might renew it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 dirty old anorak

Dream 2 FM (and Radio 1 !!!) weekend line up from 1987....

Was Andy Ruane filling in for colm hayes ? Do you have anymore vintage rte guide radio listings? If so please upload

• Advertisement

The weekend line-up on 2fm is an odd one, Larry Gogan has been off air for 4 month's, Rick O`shea is absent every second or third week, why is weekenders still called weekenders ?

The weekend line-up on 2fm is an odd one, Larry Gogan has been off air for 4 month's, Rick O`shea is absent every second or third week, why is weekenders still called weekenders ?

The same reason Driveby was still called Driveby immediately after Hayes left. Stephen Byrne is presenting the show on an interim basis, and no permanent presenter has been decided on. I think Larry is still on RTE Gold every week, and not sure about Rick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

and Will Leahy is off every few weekends too!! he appears to be dedicated to still being on the 2fm schedule, though there could be a genuine reason he is absent

and Will Leahy is off every few weekends too!! he appears to be dedicated to still being on the 2fm schedule, though there could be a genuine reason he is absent

Isn't he a solicitor as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Yes

http://www.leahyandpartners.com/profiles.php

• Advertisement

yes. though he has been a solicitor since he started on 2fm and it seems to be a mon - fri job for him

An ex 2fm female dj said on Twitter that the place has always been full of misogyny and that's why male oap djs remain while female oap djs get the bullet

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnthonyCny

Oooohhh 30mins a week he gets to play requests. I take it back he is a proper DJ

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

If you listen to Eoghan McDermotts show regularly he's only recently bought a house in dublin, was talking about it a bit a couple of months ago so I'd say he's staying
    I know obviously you could leave and rent it out but this came across like a permanent decision
    I am def not the target age group for 2 fm anymore, was prob last in that group 10/15 years ago, but I really enjoy his show esp now that producer Reg is no longer on air, her voice used to go through me, don't mind the others that are on
    No longer listen to 2 fm all day now, flick between them and 4 fm but change back for Eoghan's show every day
    Can't stand the muppets on the breakfast show, quite like Nicky and Jenny, don't think much of Tracy Clifford but couldn't listen to Niall Boylan at same time so tend to just leave her on through laziness
    Can see why they brought Eoghan McD in but don't see why they brought Tracy C in apart from being an extra female voice

NutmegGirl wrote: »
    If you listen to Eoghan McDermotts show regularly he's only recently bought a house in dublin, was talking about it a bit a couple of months ago so I'd say he's staying
    I know obviously you could leave and rent it out but this came across like a permanent decision
    I am def not the target age group for 2 fm anymore, was prob last in that group 10/15 years ago, but I really enjoy his show esp now that producer Reg is no longer on air, her voice used to go through me, don't mind the others that are on
    No longer listen to 2 fm all day now, flick between them and 4 fm but change back for Eoghan's show every day
    Can't stand the muppets on the breakfast show, quite like Nicky and Jenny, don't think much of Tracy Clifford but couldn't listen to Niall Boylan at same time so tend to just leave her on through laziness
    Can see why they brought Eoghan McD in but don't see why they brought Tracy C in apart from being an extra female voice

I think Eoghan could well renew his contract, as far as I know though he only signed the current one to last him until September 2017. He could be like Ryan Tubridy and still occasionally go over to the UK for cover slots on BBC etc. You don't have to move to the UK for that. I think he might down the line move to a different time slot. He would be good on breakfast.

As for Tracy Clifford she left SPIN 1038 in the summer of 2015 so Rick O'Shea was moved to weekends like Fanning and Gogan and Leahy before him. Ryan Phillips on the other hand I think lefft to become a barrister or something.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Not only is Leahy a solicitor and DJ but he's a stadium announcer too, which could explain some weekend absences.

Was Andy Ruane filling in for colm hayes ? Do you have anymore vintage rte guide radio listings? If so please upload

Think Colm was with Energy at that time. Joined 2FM in 1988?.

more schedules on this thread though from 90s mostly:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057094535

Aifric O'Connell seems to have confirmed she is Colm Hayes' official replacement.
    http://twitter.com/acompleteweapon/status/883380759754657793

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 William99

Oaps Rick O'Shea and Cormac Battle have been very quietly axed from 2fm, listen back to the end of their final show on July 16th to hear their goodbye.

William99 wrote: »
    Oaps Rick O'Shea and Cormac Battle have been very quietly axed from 2fm, listen back to the end of their final show on July 16th to hear their goodbye.

Moy jaysus. Is this official?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

William99 wrote: »

If this is true (I notice our messenger has registered, posted and closed their account), I'm not surprised. It's a miracle they lasted as long as they did on a yoof station, the ancient old codgers.

If this is true (I notice our messenger has registered, posted and closed their account), I'm not surprised. It's a miracle they lasted as long as they did on a yoof station, the ancient old codgers.

As far as I know he is only at a wedding.

Will announced before signing off today that he is off until the end of August

Will announced before signing off today that he is off until the end of August

Who is standing in?

I think RTE should hire Laura Whitmore for the 3-6pm weekend slot.

I think RTE should hire Laura Whitmore for the 3-6pm weekend slot.

yes just what radio needs now.. another useless celebrity presenter

I have noticed that neither Stephen Byrne nor Blathnaid Treacy is on this Bank Holiday Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Basal

50% of the oap weekend line-up are now axed, it must only be a matter of time until Willie Leahy is axed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

Basal wrote: »
    50% of the oap weekend line-up are now axed, it must only be a matter of time until Willie Leahy is axed ?

Since his time slot is 6pm-8pm would there be any point in getting rid of him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Basal

gamecube wrote: »
    Since his time slot is 6pm-8pm would there be any point in getting rid of him?

Surely it would make more sense having someone like Mo=k on 6pm Saturday nights ?

Advertisement