Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest footballers to never have won Sam 1990-2015?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Frankie Dolan of Roscommon is another. An absolute genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

I hate to triple post, but this has rattled my brain and made me remember some absolute gems. In terms of more recent lads, Tommy Freeman of Monaghan and Niall McNamee of Offaly would have walked onto any intercounty team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

johnny doyle

aidan o shea

cian ward

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭Grueller

Marty McGrath is also worth a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cgeaney

Connie Murphy of Kerry and Dr. Crokes would have to make any team. His attacking prowess and his defensive displays were a site to behold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

I don't think he's been mentioned - Conor McManus of Monaghan would be worth a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭eigrod

alphasully wrote: »
    Ciaran O Suilleabhain, Cork. Was one of the best footballers of the 90's.

Yes. Him and Joe Kavanagh, from a Cork perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cilles man

I guess to add to this list you can throw the recently retiree Stephen Bray of Meath , along with Colin Kelly of Louth , two forwards of pure class that all irelands never came their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Keith Higgins
    Conor McManus
    Paddy Bradley

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

I guess you can throw in two young footballers from Tipperary,

Colin O'Riordan who is now plying is trade in Australia

and

Michael Quinlivan who on his day will give any full back in the country a roasting.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Xenophile wrote: »
    I guess you can throw in two young footballers from Tipperary,

Colin O'Riordan who is now plying is trade in Australia

and

Michael Quinlivan who on his day will give any full back in the country a roasting.

In fairness they are both very early in their careers. I would imagine a thread like greatest players to have never won Sam would be for retired players or players with most of their playing career behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭PressRun

Ciaran McDonald seems an obvious choice.

Conor McManus is surely one of the best footballers in the country today, with or without an All-Ireland medal.

Keith Higgins might get his yet, but right now he must be one of the best to come so close and still not have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

In fairness they are both very early in their careers. I would imagine a thread like greatest players to have never won Sam would be for retired players or players with most of their playing career behind them.

And one of their careers is actually over before ever really getting going, O'Riordan will almost certainly make the grade in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

danganabu wrote: »
    And one of their careers is actually over before ever really getting going, O'Riordan will almost certainly make the grade in Australia.

All the more reason why Colin O'Riordan should be listed here as we may never see him again playing Gaelic.

Quinlivan scored two goals against Kerry last year in the championship and caused a big re-think among the Kerry mentors about their full back line.
    He also scored the injury time goal against Nemo Rangers that knocked Nemo out of this year's Club Championship.

I don't think we should wait to acknowledge the above players as their chances of ever playing in an All Ireland are very slim.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Surprised Ross Munnelly hasn't been mentioned yet

Seamus Quinn from Leitrim.

Johnny Davey and Mark Breheny from Sligo.

Anthony Rainbow should be on the list too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

And from my own county I'd have to mention Ross Munnelly.

Surprised Ross Munnelly hasn't been mentioned yet

He was 4 months ago

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I went through the effort of reading through this thread and I somehow managed to miss that, fecksake :o

Advertisement