Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest footballers to never have won Sam 1990-2015?

Options
  • 28-08-2015 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi folks title is self explanatory, who in your opinion are amongst the best players to never have lifted Sam?
    Considering that 31 teams don't win it every year, that obviously leaves us with a huge pool of players to choose from, who is the first that comes to mind for you?

For me, Michael Meehan is up there. He was a Michael Owen type figure of immense talent but crippled with injury and unfortunate enough to have missed the boat of a golden generation which was the Galway team of the late 90's.

Johnny Doyle is definately another who IMO would have strolled onto any of the best teams over the last few years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

hardy_buck wrote: »
    Hi folks title is self explanatory, who in your opinion are amongst the best players to never have lifted Sam?
    Considering that 31 teams don't win it every year, that obviously leaves us with a huge pool of players to choose from, who is the first that comes to mind for you?

For me, Michael Meehan is up there. He was a Michael Owen type figure of immense talent but crippled with injury and unfortunate enough to have missed the boat of a golden generation which was the Galway team of the late 90's.

Johnny Doyle is definately another who IMO would have strolled onto any of the best teams over the last few years.

^^^That guy there^^^

And Mattie Forde... and Ciaran McDonald

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Yeah would agree on johnny Doyle. Remember he put over a Maurice Fitz style point from a sideline on the 45 against us in Limerick. Not much made of it due to it being a qualifier.

I'd add John Galvin to the list. Nearly single handedly brought Limerick to their first Munster in 100 odd years and was an exceptional competitor and sportsman. Class act.

Dessie Dolan is probably worthy of inclusion also.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

From a Dub perspective:

Ciaran Whelan

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Declan Browne from Tipperary, former All Star

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Confused Accountant

Ciarán McDonald - one of the greatest talents of the last few years. Carried a mayo team for a few years and is still banging them over for club!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Declan Browne, Dessie Dolan, Joe Higgins, Beano McDonald, Tom Kelly, Ciaran McDonald, James Nallen, Dermot Early,Johnny Doyle +1, Mattie Forde, John Galvin, Johnny Nevin.......from top of my head oh and Paul Barden

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭hardy_buck

Johnny Doyle is unarguably one of the best to never have done it but I think he comes to mind sooner because Kildare were always a competetive team and got the exposure, especially after a few last minute heartbreaks over the years.

I would actually rate Emyln Mulligan one of the best too considering he plays for one of the most disadvantged and demoralised teams in the country.

It's a shame that there are so many talented players that never get a look in because they never make it out of provincial qualifiers..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

GK-Gary Connaughton/Fergal Byron

Sean Marty Lockhart
    Barry Owens
    Keith Higgins

John Keane
    James Nallen
    Tom Kelly

John Galvin
    Ciaran Whelan

Paul Barden
    Ciaran McDonald
    Johnny Doyle

Declan Browne
    Michael Meehan/Dessie Dolan
    Matty Forde

Serious team

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Mayo ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alphasully

Ciaran O Suilleabhain, Cork. Was one of the best footballers of the 90's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

Why the need for the soccer comparison? Why not write this:
    For me, Michael Meehan is up there. He was a player of immense talent but crippled with injury and unfortunate enough to have missed the boat of a golden generation which was the Galway team of the late 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭hardy_buck

Jippo wrote: »
    Why the need for the soccer comparison? Why not write this:

I dunno, because it's valid I guess? Don't let me stop you turning this into another soccer v GAA thread though, I don't think the sports forums have ever seen that...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

James Horan won an all star I think in 1999 he was good for a number of years for Mayo ,Liam Mchale was a great midfielder he would have been worthy of 1-2. Dermot Mcabe of Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

From Donegal - Adrian Sweeney and Kevin Cassidy.

From Down - Benny Coulter. Martin Clarke probably hasn't played enough to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Was gonna say Anthony Tohill, didnt realise he was old enough to be playing in 93. Eamonn O'Hara, Keith Higgins, Emlyn Mulligan, Barry Owens, Lockhart, Val Daly, McD, Forde and Doyle all stand out. None moreso than Declan Browne however, what a player

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭The barber of chewbacca

Dub fan here. Everyone I thought of mentioned already. Forde, Browne, Doyle McDonald, Meehan, Owens... I must add Wicklow's Kevin O'Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    From Donegal - Adrian Sweeney and Kevin Cassidy.
    I'd include Damien Diver in there as well RSF.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Francis McInerney from Clare, classy footballer who misses out on an All Star in 92 cause of the silly rule that if you were sent off in the year you couldn't get 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

... I must add Wicklow's Kevin O'Brien.

100% +1!
    Unbelievable speed off the mark - seemed to create space out of nothing. Incredible to watch live - even when he played into his later years. Immense football brain.

Also add Leighton Glynn - still playing and still has that "how the hell did he do that?" factor! Dual player too, but I'm only talking football (can't comment on his hurling prowess; though equally good with the stick I believe).

Yes, perhaps my choices are a bit parochial, but anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Ciaran Whelan has been mentioned already but what a servant and warrior of Dublin football. Desperately unlucky to have started his senior career in 1996 and finished in 2010 one year either side of a Dubs All Ireland victory. I agree with many of the names mentioned already and would add to the mix Dermot Earley, a serious talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭The barber of chewbacca

Paddy Christie is another one that deserves a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Glen Ryan.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Leighton Glynn was the first person that came to mind when reading this. Phenomenal player.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Aaron Kernan and Andy Mallon - Armagh,
    Enda Muldoon and Paddy Bradley - Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Ciaran McManus of Offaly. What a player. Would've walked onto any team.

Saw a lot of Mattie Forde too - great player.

And from my own county I'd have to mention Ross Munnelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭Grueller

Niall Buckley
    Vinny Claffey
    Benny Coulter
    Eamonn O Hara should be named too despite appearing to have the finest opinion of himself that I have ever seen. The hatchet job he did on Kevin Walsh on the Synday game a couple of years back still rankles with me but I digress.

All of the above were outstanding players, however the one we have all missed and was a real top class footballer despite not looking like even the relative of an athlete was Colin Corkery. What a footballer. As Micheal O Muircheartaigh once said "Colin Corkery, the man who made a lazarus like recovery from a heart condition, lazarus was a great man too, but he couldn't kick points like Colin Corkery."
    I can never forgive my own county man Brian White for allowing Seamus Moynihan to absolutely molest him in 2001 I think, before sending Corkery off late on for dissent caused by pure frustration from getting no protection from him.

Edited to say just reading back and I see both Benny Coulter and Eamonn O Hara mentioned. Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

GK-Gary Connaughton/Fergal Byron

Sean Marty Lockhart
    Barry Owens
    Keith Higgins

John Keane
    James Nallen
    Tom Kelly

John Galvin
    Ciaran Whelan

Paul Barden
    Ciaran McDonald
    Johnny Doyle

Declan Browne
    Michael Meehan/Dessie Dolan Paddy Bradley
    Matty Forde

Serious team

Edited to include Paddy Bradley. Knew I had forgotten someone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭feichin

Paddy Keenan - 2010 Allstar as consolation for the worst refereeing decision in living memory

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Paddy Bradley is a great shout in terms of lads you'd forget. The likes of Ciaran Mcdonald and Matty Forde would always be stand outs but Bradley was incredible for Derry.

There's one guy that stands out for me though. Colin Corkery of Cork. Probably the most accurate footballer I have ever seen play the game, he was flawless off both feet and could kick points from any angle and from outrageous distances. For a guy who looked pretty out of shape he was always great to get to the ball before his man and there was little chance of getting it off him. Sometimes he'd almost single handedly try and beat Kerry and sometimes he did. Used always be a nightmare for Moynihan. He was fantastic for Nemo too and was a big reason why they were so dominant in Cork, Munster and Ireland. Phenomenal talent.

Advertisement