Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you ever sneak into an event

Options
  • 24-08-2015 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭

Now I've never bunked into festivals, I find it better craic to work for them but when I was younger I did manage to bunk into a Scotland/England game at Hampden park in Glasgow in the early eighties, simply by running through some ones back garden and jumping the fence. You probably could not do that there now with the new revamped stadium. My only music bunking experience was the mid 1980s, me and a bunch of folk kicked in an exit door at the back of the Glasgow Apollo and ran the barrier into the crowd, was doing it more for the craic than the music. It finely dawned on me that I was looking at the atrocity Kiss Unmasked in front of me with Bon Jovi supporting and I went AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH! What the fuk have I just done.

Any stories about sneaking into a gig or what not.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Tried to sneak out of a Phil Collins concert once

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Not sneaked but I've walked straight past queues and security into nightclubs like this

http://i.imgur.com/biDFHU0.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

snuck into something while pissed once.
    can't remember what it was.

just a vague feeling of a memory of a fence and some woods, darkness, beer and being somewhere that I wasn't supposed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,322 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Aslan in UCDSU bar. Yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I snuck into 'My Girl' in the cinema of an Irish ferries boat to France.

Later I found out the cinema was free anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Went down to EP one Sunday (when you could only get weekend tickets) to meet my mate who had a press pass for the day for me, got to the entrance and couldn't get a hold of my mate on the phone who was already there so I just sauntered in, no wristband or anything, walked all the way into the Electric Arena and then main stage before I met him there and got my pass...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Akrasia wrote: »
    I snuck into 'My Girl' in the cinema .

I'm sure most fellas have tried that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

yes, All Ireland semis, Dublin vs Sligo Croake Park, although there was no sneaking involved... no one was at the gate and I just walked in before half time. Sligo were whacked in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

In the early nineties I used to scam my way into gigs all the time by phoning promoters on the morning of concerts and saying tickets were misplaced. Most memorably to the sold out in seconds Ozzy gig in McGonagles on Sth Anne street around '91.

When we were around 16 or 17 I remember blagging five tickets for Belinda Carlise by saying the tickets were in a jacket that was now on board a flight to New York. We were put on the guest list and with after consuming a couple of trays of Tennents, we took position centre stage leaning on the barrier and as she sang barefoot on an Arabic rug, we spent pretty much the whole gig shouting at her to get her tits out. She didn't seem to mind a bit either. Wish there was footage to back me up on that but nope, I've looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I was working the gates at Oxegen once and they gave us the wrong staff passes, so we could get almost anywhere. We were camping for three days and the weather was terrible, but we were able to get into a restricted area and use the showers. There was even a guy there who handed us towels - no idea who he thought we were.

On the Sunday we were finished, so we just got to enjoy the day. Managed to use our passes to get up onto the main stage when Placebo were playing. We were standing a few feet from the band looking out over the crowd, it was gas, added to by the fact that we were absolutely not supposed to be there.

• Advertisement

Never sneaked in - but have blagged myself in by charming a bouncer or two with my unbridled wit and charm :) Even the draconian nut jobs on the door of Vicar Street on more than one occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭WearstheFoxhat

2009 Open Championship, walked straight in through the exit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Snuck into a circus with my Dad and brother when I was about 12. After the circus was over my Dad insisted on going to the ticket office to pay because it was "so good" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I managed to sneak into Coppers after being refused about five years ago. I liased with one of the lads who got in, and he brazenly agreed to open the back door for me. Simple, but brilliantly simple. I was delighted. You'd have thought I just snuck into the alien vault at Area-51.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

No. The closest I've come is getting into a nightclub free by drawing their stamp on my hand with eyeliner and getting friends into the pit at concerts by swapping around wristbands. This was all in my teens though. I'd be too nervous these days to even attempt that much. Too much hassle and I like a quiet life. Very boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Used to sneak into the racing in Leopardstown all the time through Fitzone

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yeah walked into a few gigs in the Olympia through that side door.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Myself and a mate decided to pop over to Stockholm for a weekend, this would have been back in the 90's, fly in early Sat. and out again Sun. evening. When we got there we decided to look for a place for the night but there was nothing available in the city, there were a few festivals and a euro football qualifier on that day, so everywhere was full.

So we were going to have to sleep it rough. We were dressed in jeans and a t-shirt and hit the bars. We decided to go clubbing afterwards, but the queues were either too long or we were not dressed to code. So we decided to hit the bus station and find a bench for the night.

On the way there we passed the opera house and saw there was an event on. We saw the bouncers run around the corner so we just walked up and straight in. No one stopped us, everyone was dressed in tux and ballgowns except for 2 biker looking dudes at the far end of venue. We joined up with them and hung out for the night. And for some reason no one said anything to us, we had no problems ordering drinks either. The other 2 dudes were over for a tattooing convention, maybe people were too intimidated. Was a bit surreal being surrounded by these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Yes, a concert that was sold out. One of friends had a mate working for national broadcaster recording the concert. There were about ten of us going through carrying one cable or something silly like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I'll come clean now. Euro 2004 two of us snook into about 10 games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

It's quite easy to sneak into an event. Have an SLR camera on your shoulder and walk up to the door on your phone saying "I'll get a few snaps and send them back over within the hour" then move your phone and ask the bouncer where the media desk is to get your press pass. Usually they'll just wave you in. If they direct you to a media desk, just walk over and ask for a pass and if asked just say you're a freelancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

In Perth, Australia a few years ago, some kind of open air electro festival. Fenced off. Bunch of people standing around the fence at various points. The concept being if twenty of you jump it at the same place the fvckers can only grab like five or six of you. Gotta play the odds.

Was on crutches having the previous night jumped over a 3 foot wall that had a 20 ft drop on the other side without checking first. I'm smart. Fvcked my heel up something awful. So we're all standing there trying to look nonchalant as the security lads watch us through the fence having fvcking none of it.

Some little Korean lad yells something in what I had to presume was Korean and dives at the fence, throws himself over like a ninja. Everyone else rushes it and starts scalling. Lads getting slammed into and rugby tackled to the ground on the other side. Massive guys to a man the security. Like All Blacks moonlighting.

Nothing ventured nothing gained. Throw the crutches over first. Then start clawing my way over. My handicap had had an unexpected benefit. By being the last one to make it over all the bruisers had been led away from the point of the breach. Figured I'd just roll on the drop like army lads do in movies, no bother. Apparently decided on the less common face plant straight down version. Seeing stars at this point, tasting blood, no sign of the crutches (who steals a man's crutches?.

Up on my feet... ehh foot. About 20 meters to the inner fence. Start hopping forward. Not going anywhere fast but making progress. A clear run from the looks of things. About 5 meters from the inner fence I notice a big mauri looking lad looking at me with his mouth open, just slowly shaking his head. Start hopping faster. He starts strolling in my direction. Hop even faster. Just as I reach the inner fence I feel a hand on my shoulder informing me he could stroll faster than I could hop.

"It's over Bro, nice try, it's over". And he helped me over to the first aid tent, blood running down my face from the busted nose that resulted from the previously mentioned face plant. Nice guy.

So, almost, but not quite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

OneOfThem wrote: »
    In Perth, Australia a few years ago, some kind of open air electro festival. Fenced off. Bunch of people standing around the fence at various points. The concept being if twenty of you jump it at the same place the fvckers can only grab like five or six of you. Gotta play the odds.

Was on crutches having the previous night jumped over a 3 foot wall that had a 20 ft drop on the other side without checking first. I'm smart. Fvcked my heel up something awful. So we're all standing there trying to look nonchalant as the security lads watch us through the fence having fvcking none of it.

Some little Korean lad yells something in what I had to presume was Korean and dives at the fence, throws himself over like a ninja. Everyone else rushes it and starts scalling. Lads getting slammed into and rugby tackled to the ground on the other side. Massive guys to a man the security. Like All Blacks moonlighting.

Nothing ventured nothing gained. Throw the crutches over first. Then start clawing my way over. My handicap had had an unexpected benefit. By being the last one to make it over all the bruisers had been led away from the point of the breach. Figured I'd just roll on the drop like army lads do in movies, no bother. Apparently decided on the less common face plant straight down version. Seeing stars at this point, tasting blood, no sign of the crutches (who steals a man's crutches?.

Up on my feet... ehh foot. About 20 meters to the inner fence. Start hopping forward. Not going anywhere fast but making progress. A clear run from the looks of things. About 5 meters from the inner fence I notice a big mauri looking lad looking at me with his mouth open, just slowly shaking his head. Start hopping faster. He starts strolling in my direction. Hop even faster. Just as I reach the inner fence I feel a hand on my shoulder informing me he could stroll faster than I could hop.

"It's over Bro, nice try, it's over". And he helped me over to the first aid tent, blood running down my face from the busted nose that resulted from the previously mentioned face plant. Nice guy.

So, almost, but not quite.

The Great Escape but in reverse and in 'stralia:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Not sneaked but I've walked straight past queues and security into nightclubs like this

http://i.imgur.com/biDFHU0.gif

That gif took a fúcking long time to load for me, but it was worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I have a bad stutter, which has it pitfalls.
    But on the plus side nobody likes interrogating someone who's stuttering badly.
    Therefore I have blagged into dozens of gigs or fights simply by going to VIP queue and telling them my name and that I should be on the guest list.
    It has had a 100% success rate, sometimes an unfortunate 5 minute stuttery stand off.
    But they crumble every time when I take my stutter to level epilectic fit

I have never paid to get into a gig or festival

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Not sure if it counts as 'sneaking in' exactly, but I've a pal who accidentally went to see the Beach Boys in 2003. He had a ticket to see Deep Purple/Lynard Skynard, which was on in the Point a few days before Brian Wilson and Co, but got his dates a bit muxed ip. He was first of all a bit bemused at the choice of support act. It's a brave promoter would pair the Beach Boys with those two 70's hard rock juggernauts. How and ever, the bauld Gary settled back with a beer, to enjoy the show. Not really his cup of tea, but he'd give it a go. Around tennish, he started to wonder what time the gig would finish up, not wanting to miss his last bus. At 11 or do he really started to panic. Deep Purple were one of his 'bucket list' bands. He couldn't afford a taxi. He lived miles out of town at the time. He left as the Beach Boys were on what must have been their last song or so, terribly disappointed that he'd have to miss the band he really wanted to see. It was a few days later when he related his tale of woe that we were able to console him with the fact that he hadn't left a few hours early. He'd arrived a few days late!

:D

I still, to this day, have no idea how he managed to Forrest Gump his way in past the ticket guys and security!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

Snuck into Oxegen 2006. I had no interest in seeing any of the bands/acts and just wanted to get pissed in the campsite for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Snuck into Oxegen 2006. I had no interest in seeing any of the bands/acts and just wanted to get pissed in the campsite for the weekend.

... and that's why there's no more Oxegen...

50 Cent played in Waterford a few year ago and there was a spot across the road from the event you could see 50 and see him closer than most of the people in the crowd could. I got a few cans, stood across the road to watch him for free and didn't have to pay the 50 entrance fee/ 5 euro a pint. It probably was stingey if me but I would never pay to see fifty and only did it because I lived so close and could hear him from my house anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭RayCon

The Horse Show every year without fail.

ZZ Top in the RDS

Come to think of it ...the RDS was fairly easy to bunk into.

Advertisement