Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry v Tyrone Match Thread *READ MOD NOTE POST #1*

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Kerry are probably the last remaining team that actually still kick pass the ball. It's great to see, there's something bieutiful (as colm o rourke would say!!) about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

THFC wrote: »
    Of course they play cynically and/or defensively at times, you won't go very far as a team if you don't.

As for the bit not bolded, I'm sorry, that is just so wrong I don't know where to start. Almost every match Donegal are in the game follows a similar pattern, probably what you are alluding to above. In the 2 previous years Kerry were part of 2 of the best semi-final clashes probably since 2006. They, along with the Dubs, are as "pure" as team as you're going to get in the modern game.

If you read the post I responded to he said they beat "these awful teams" as if Kerry were somehow above them despite replicating their tactics in order to beat the likes of Donegal.

I don't have a problem with anything Kerry do but surely if they are as pure as the poster who I responded to thinks they are they would just go out and play football and forget about any sort of negative tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Kerry are probably the last remaining team that actually still kick pass the ball. It's great to see, there's some bieutiful (as colm o rourke would say!!) about it.

You did watch the game on Sunday? Hit and hope was as good as some of the kick passing got (the good old game as some in the Kingdom would have it). Some decent diagonal balls in the second half all right but nothing special.

Are we still putting that Kildare performance up on a pedestal?

If you read the post I responded to he said they beat "these awful teams" as if Kerry were somehow above them despite replicating their tactics in order to beat the likes of Donegal.

I don't have a problem with anything Kerry do but surely if they are as pure as the poster who I responded to thinks they are they would just go out and play football and forget about any sort of negative tactics.

Kerry is the bastion of all that beautiful and pure don't ya know.

Sunday was no master-class in anything. It was a rotten day and they were contained by a Tyrone team that was as "limited" as they come according to all and sundry before the match.

At the end of the day Kerry won. They could have been caught cold and we would have a situation of everyone crying foul. But they weren't.

It would be nice for some of the sensible posters from the Kingdom to call it as is though. Jippo, come back!!!

Kerry winning is bad enough, listening to bad winning from their support is stomach-churning.

You did watch the game on Sunday? Hit and hope was as good as some of the kick passing got (the good old game as some in the Kingdom would have it). Some decent diagonal balls in the second half all right but nothing special.

Who mentioned anything about the Kildare game?
    Kerry have been kick passing for years. It's bred into them. And its great to see. And yes, I did see the game the last day...and there were some bieutiful kick passes at times. As usual Kerry adapted to the opposition..and the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Kerry is the bastion of all that beautiful and pure don't ya know.

Sunday was no master-class in anything. It was a rotten day and they were contained by a Tyrone team that was as "limited" as they come according to all and sundry before the match.

At the end of the day Kerry won. They could have been caught cold and we would have a situation of everyone crying foul. But they weren't.

It would be nice for some of the sensible posters from the Kingdom to call it as is though. Jippo, come back!!!

Kerry winning is bad enough, listening to bad winning from their support is stomach-churning.

Are you kidding me? Give me an example of this "bad winning".

The focus after the match has nearly all be negative on Kerry- didnt play well, Tyrone would have won if they had taken their chances, all down to the ref, etc.

There's no "bad winning" although I will admit that there is a certain element of frustration with attitudes towards the Kerry team- they are defending champions and in the final again and you'd hardly think it reading most of the threads on here.

When discussing Kerry's style of football- you need to think about it logically. They will play attacking football when possible and kick long in similar circumstances but to kick long constantly against a very strong and stocked defence would be nothing short of idiotic.

It shows great in game intelligence to analyse each game and situation on its individual merits and thats what this Kerry team can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

You've jumped the shark baby. Pretty laughable question on your part in the circumstances.

Kerry put in I would say one ball max that could be described as hit and hope on Sunday to Donaghy, and another one where Murphy miscued a shot that Donaghy won and put over the bar.

Maybe it was someone with a similar name or something but I had you in my head as a reasonable enough sort of character up until the last few weeks when your fear and loathing of all things green and gold seems to have reached strange and worrying levels.

It's all resulted in many, many posts that leave me reduced to the question Hamlet famously put to Gertrude - have you eyes??

Who mentioned anything about the Kildare game?
    Kerry have been kick passing for years. It's bred into them. And its great to see. And yes, I did see the game the last day...and there were some bieutiful kick passes at times. As usual Kerry adapted to the opposition..and the weather.

I know it is a trait of some to look at everything in isolation. Bomber was the same last night on the Last Word. It grates but I suppose that is what you have to put up with when from one of the other 31 awful counties who don't get "it". But we'll try something here; bear with me.

After the Kildare match Kerry were being (rightfully) lauded for their performance. Some of the kick passing was sumptuous on that particular day but it was against a beaten team who had so little self-confidence and let's be honest.

I brought up the Kildare game because the abiding memory was the kick-passing on that day and you were lauding kick-passing. Ergo there's the connection.

The kick-passing was pretty poor on Sunday bar some isolated pockets. And of course, the weather played a factor in it and it would have been naive of Kerry to play the "traditional" way. But it's also naive to take from Sunday that the skills on show were akin to say the 2009 QF (Galvin put on a master-class that day).

Hence my reference to hit-and-hope as that was as close as you could get to "old-school" skills. It wasn't a complete summation of the game on Sunday. Despite what other posters might glean from that sentiment.
    Are you kidding me? Give me an example of this "bad winning".

Exact examples? The burden of proof of an internet post is pretty high isn't it.

It was all around me in the Upper Hogan. Listen, I've been watching football long enough and been around this country enough and been at the latter stages of football matches (regardless of the competitors) enough in Dublin to have an opinion on most counties attitudes after a victory.
    The focus after the match has nearly all be negative on Kerry- didnt play well, Tyrone would have won if they had taken their chances, all down to the ref, etc.

I thought ye relished that? The famous siege mentality eh?
    There's no "bad winning" although I will admit that there is a certain element of frustration with attitudes towards the Kerry team- they are defending champions and in the final again and you'd hardly think it reading most of the threads on here.

Maybe "bad winning" was the wrong phrase, sore winning would be perhaps more accurate. There was a distinct lack of grace shown at the full-time whistle on Sunday to myself and the large group of Tyrone supporters around us. And maybe that was just an isolated incident. I highly doubt it. But it stands to reason that equally the lads I met after the match analysed the game with a lack of bias that I'm not used to amongst your brethren so my mood was definitely less sore an hour after the final whistle than it was as I made my way out.

In fact, I would go to say that of all the Kerry victories I've witnessed over the years, I left on Sunday less in anger than most. In fact it comes closest to the 2009 QF where I don't think I was as full of praise in support of a Kerry team.
    When discussing Kerry's style of football- you need to think about it logically. They will play attacking football when possible and kick long in similar circumstances but to kick long constantly against a very strong and stocked defence would be nothing short of idiotic.

I completely agree. There was no naivety shown at all. And the introduction of Geaney showed that (MOTM for me)

But there is a definite group of Kerry supporters who have a habit of forgetting that winning ugly is allowed.

The likes of yourself, keane and Jippo are a great antidote to the hordes that come down from the hills and make the rest of us wish for a Kerry loss.
    It shows great in game intelligence to analyse each game and situation on its individual merits and thats what this Kerry team can do.

It's what this Kerry team can indeed do. And it's definitely something that we've shown as well. And it's a trait that has been on the blocks as a result of the Ulster revolution in the early-noughties.
    keane2097 wrote: »
    You've jumped the shark baby. Pretty laughable question on your part in the circumstances.

Kerry put in I would say one ball max that could be described as hit and hope on Sunday to Donaghy, and another one where Murphy miscued a shot that Donaghy won and put over the bar.

Calm toi. If ya actually read what I said, you'd have seen that I wasn't suggesting that it was the primary tactic. But neither was passing from the foot. I was merely using it as a counterpoint.
    Maybe it was someone with a similar name or something but I had you in my head as a reasonable enough sort of character up until the last few weeks when your fear and loathing of all things green and gold seems to have reached strange and worrying levels.

My loathing of the Green and Gold stems from the day I spawned in 1984.

It reaches fever pitch around this time every year.

Most of the distaste for Kerry football stems from the cataracts that develop between May and September. And Donaghy.
    It's all resulted in many, many posts that leave me reduced to the question Hamlet famously put to Gertrude - have you eyes??

You jumped the gun lad. There is a tendency to shoot first and and ask questions later amongst Kerry football folk. It's okay. We're not all against ye.

---

The most disappointing aspect from a Dublin and Mayo pov is that the Donaghy experiment didn't work. Because if it did it would have been used to very little effect in the final and now that they have seen how the FF line should line-up they'll be tougher unit to deal with.

One thing though, Running at that Kerry centre FB and HB pairing will result in a whack of scores. Dublin and Mayo will have a ruthlessness that hasn't been there in any other game the Kingdom have played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I though the kick passing as usual was very good, they were delivering the ball into space and the Kerry forwards were running onto out in front of their man. The problem was it slid on the surface a lot especially first half, and that meant they had to dive at the ball and got swallowed up by the Tyrone defense.

Think you could purely blame the conditions for that, they still managed to win in spite of that by exploiting that on a day that thoroughly suited Tyrone. They're forward unit is immense.

Think it'll be a great final though given there are issues in defense which is probably true of Dublin too. Fancy Mayo to win it out, though it's always very dangerous thing to say. Think the football final will be better than the hurling this year.

Calm toi. If ya actually read what I said, you'd have seen that I wasn't suggesting that it was the primary tactic. But neither was passing from the foot. I was merely using it as a counterpoint.

My loathing of the Green and Gold stems from the day I spawned in 1984.

It reaches fever pitch around this time every year.

Most of the distaste for Kerry football stems from the cataracts that develop between May and September. And Donaghy.

You jumped the gun lad. There is a tendency to shoot first and and ask questions later amongst Kerry football folk. It's okay. We're not all against ye.

I can't tell if you're taking the piss out of me or what there's so many contradictions so I'm reluctant to engage.

I will say, your assertion that "Hit and hope was as good as some of the kick passing got" on Sunday is 100% correct in that one of the kick passes was a hit and hope.

• Advertisement

I though the kick passing as usual was very good, they were delivering the ball into space and the Kerry forwards were running onto out in front of their man. The problem was it slid on the surface a lot especially first half, and that meant they had to dive at the ball and got swallowed up by the Tyrone defense.

Spot on. Lost count the number of times Donaghy was sliding to collect balls and then couldnt get back up off he ground when surrounded by 4 Tyrone men. There were some lovely balls threaded in but he conditions didnt allow for maximum return on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭threeball

Kerry are probably the last remaining team that actually still kick pass the ball. It's great to see, there's something bieutiful (as colm o rourke would say!!) about it.

God that's some awful brainwashed rubbish. Mayo, Galway, Dublin and Cork would easily play as many foot-passes in a game as Kerry. In fact I'd probably rate Dublins footpassing above any off them at the moment.

This propagated legend of Kerry being the last bastion of all that is good in football is utter sh1te. If it was so superior they would be winning club championships to bate the band where systems aren't as refined as intercounty, but they don't. Kerrys ability to mix the on the edge stuff with good football and get away with it is what sets them apart as a team. They get a lot of calls because everyone has bought into the legend and it glosses over the fact that Kerry are as versed in the dark arts as any.

"Nobody realises Kerry practise the Dark Arts" must be the most oft quoted phrase in the GAA since "Donegal didn't get the credit for their attacking play in 2012".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

munster87 wrote: »
    The Green and Red of Mayo: Jealousy and Anger
    "I can see it still" :p

threeball wrote: »
    God that's some awful brainwashed rubbish. Mayo, Galway, Dublin and Cork would easily play as many foot-passes in a game as Kerry. In fact I'd probably rate Dublins footpassing above any off them at the moment.

This propagated legend of Kerry being the last bastion of all that is good in football is utter sh1te. If it was so superior they would be winning club championships to bate the band where systems aren't as refined as intercounty, but they don't. Kerrys ability to mix the on the edge stuff with good football and get away with it is what sets them apart as a team. They get a lot of calls because everyone has bought into the legend and it glosses over the fact that Kerry are as versed in the dark arts as any.

Watching most of those teams is like watching a basketball game!
    Hand pass here, run a bit, hand pass there, run a bit. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

11 Finals in 15 years

liam7831 wrote: »
    11 Finals in 15 years

wha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Tyrone lost the game because they weren't able to get the goals they needed. Simple as that really. It's getting tiresome now hearing all this talk about refs and conspiracies and whatnot.

The quality of these threads has gone down in the last while IMO. I hope the Mayo Dublin thread isn't such a cluster****.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭threeball

Yerra, down in Kirry we never handpashed a ball in our lives

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

threeball wrote: »
    Yerra, down in Kirry we never handpashed a ball in our lives

Do you only do your routine on line or have you got a slot in a pub somewhere?
    Slagging the Kerry accent and saying "yerra" is some fairly ace, ground breaking material.

• Advertisement

Tyrone lost the game because they weren't able to get the goals they needed. Simple as that really. It's getting tiresome now hearing all this talk about refs and conspiracies and whatnot.

The quality of these threads has gone down in the last while IMO. I hope the Mayo Dublin thread isn't such a cluster****.

I haven't read through the thread since before toady (I don't want to give myself Forest Whitaker eye) but being at the game on Sunday I was able to talk to a lot of the people out and about including some Kerry-folk as it would have it.

Not one person I chatted to had any bones with the result. Nor did I. And lord knows my thoughts on the Green-and-Gold.

Feck knows what conspiracies were being spouted in here.

Given the gaggle of Tyrone lads and (a token fellow from the Orchard County) had to say, I think a conspiracy was far from all of our minds. Deegan could have done better but Tyrone should have done better also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

I think this thread has run it's course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement