Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WhoWillGo poll : Marmion vs Boss

Options
  • 22-08-2015 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭

Some people are getting tired of the debate about 3rd scrum-half for RWC
    And I'm tired of the peremptory judgements over this case

So it's now a needed dedicated poll thread

WhoWillgo to RWC as 3rd SH? 79 votes

Boss
    0% 0 votes
    Marmion
    100% 79 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

You need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Buer wrote: »
    You need help.

I know it's an ironic remark from you, but help me to advocate for Marmion, yes thanks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm disappointed Paul Marshall isn't on the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

We need a: Who should be included in the who should go poll poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

it would be hilarious if neither went

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

errlloyd wrote: »

I nominate Peter Stringer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Stringer as the bolter!

you heard it here first

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Why isn't John Cooney listed? Surely the first choice Connacht scrum half should be in the mix?!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The 3rd choice nine isn't that big of a deal. Murray stays fit, Murray starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

The 3rd choice nine isn't that big of a deal. Murray stays fit, Murray starts.

agree ,

a year a go, I would have Marmion go , but his progress has stalled recently - so Boss for experience should go , if a third SH is needed.

• Advertisement

Unless Reddan starts...

thebaz wrote: »
    agree ,

a year a go, I would have Marmion go , but his progress has stalled recently - so Boss for experience should go , if a third SH is needed.

No he shouldn't go because of experience. For the same reason ROG shouldn't have played in the 2013 Six Nations. Experience cannot compensate for poor form.

No he shouldn't go because of experience. For the same reason ROG shouldn't have played in the 2013 Six Nations. Experience cannot compensate for poor form.

Sorry , but Boss form is better than Marmion - and experience does count for much , regardless of what you think - especially at 9 or 10

Sorry , but Boss form is better than Marmion - and experience does count for much , regardless of what you think - especially at 9 or 10

Experience counts but it can't always compensate. D'Arcy is a good example of it.

Well I hope Marmion features next weekend and we'll see what happens from there. Boss was poor against Scotland. The box kicks. The box kicks.

tumblr_lq92klGfUg1qzx7rao1_500.gif

Anywho unless someone gets hurt this isn't a decision that will have a material impact on Ireland's performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

What about the option of Madigan or Jones being the 3rd halfback?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Tony Ward should get casting vote. Schools scrum halfs would be by their mobiles waiting the call.

Sorry , but Boss form is better than Marmion

Good joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

errlloyd wrote: »

I'd rather a "dear god make it stop" option in the poll tbh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think people forget that Boss finished last season pretty well, he did end up Leinster's first choice after the 6N for all the big games.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I think people forget that Boss finished last season pretty well, he did end up Leinster's first choice after the 6N for all the big games.

I think poeple forget the RWC is now and not 4 months ago, and that's Marmion who's in form

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

How do you know he's in form?

They've only played a part in 1 warm up match each.

How do you know he's in form?

They've only played a part in 1 warm up match each.

Castres+Munster. I know some are scornful about those game, I'm not. He's a SH, not a prop, his abilities are seeable even with a not-100% opposition

connachta wrote: »
    Castres+Munster. I know some are scornful about those game, I'm not. He's a SH, not a prop, his abilities are seeable even with a not-100% opposition

Every player is measured by their opposition, even scrum halves. If the pack are having it easy the scrum half will look good.

I would be a bit scornful.

At Connacht he's asked to do 1,2,3 but for Ireland he could be asked to do 2,3,4,5.

Playing well for a club team doesn't mean you'll also play well for an International team.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Luke McGrath had a great game against Ulster so surely he should go by your logic? :rolleyes:

This is the most pointless argument we've seen on here, Marmion played an absolute nightmare for the Wolfhounds, is being pushed for the starting spot in Connacht by John Cooney, and only got 10 minutes in the death of a warm up game.

So much commotion over a 3rd choice SH....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭OldRio

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I nominate Peter Stringer.

I'd have him in the squad in a heartbeat.

Counter-attack in the Examiner :
    Schmidt gets World Cup nudge from Kieran Marmion

Munster 12 Connacht 28: Connacht scrum-half Kieran Marmion could hardly be blamed for feeling more than a little aggrieved last week when he was released back to Connacht by Ireland head coach Joe Schmidt without having had a reasonable chance to press his claims for a place in Ireland’s

To his credit, he didn’t give up hope of convincing Schmiodt of the error of his ways and saw last night’s friendly against Munster at Thomond Park as the ideal opportunity to press his claims. The Welsh-born Marmion didn’t delay in reminding the Irish management of the threat he presents around the fringes of ruck and scrum as he scampered over in typical fashion for a superbly taken try after seventeen minutes and repeated the act shortly afterwards.
    Marmion was largely responsible for Connacht’s decisive 28-12 victory in a game that began brightly enough but deteriorate badly as the game went on with a penalty try the only score in the entire second half.
    Joe Schmidt was in Belfast watching Ulster and Leinster but Ireland forwards coach Simon Easterby was an interested spectator in Thomond Park’s east stand and will assuredly be advising the boss of Marmion’s opportunism and very possibly suggesting that he should be edging out Isaac Boss for the third World Cup scrum-half spot behind Conor Murray and Eoin Reddan.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There should be an option of neither in the poll

I still think only 2 #9s will travel.

• Advertisement

Good joke

no joke - i know who i'd pick right now - Marmion time will come , but he hasn't progressed over the past 6 months - fact

what is true , no one here seams to appreciate what Boss has brought to the Irish game - constantly ridiculed

Advertisement