Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef Data Genomics Programme (2015-2020)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Grueller

Kovu wrote: »
    If they're not due until mid-Dec they might hold out for you. Added bonus would be if they were due to Lims.

Or have ye any rushes to lose them in for a fortnight :D:p

Cheek of ya. We have no rushes down here in wexford. I want to register them this year. Can I claim on them after them having calved in another bdgp members herd last January. If not I need to get out the cheque book again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Grueller wrote: »
    Cheek of ya. We have no rushes down here in wexford. I want to register them this year. Can I claim on them after them having calved in another bdgp members herd last January. If not I need to get out the cheque book again.

I've nae got a clue I'm afraid!

I've nae got a clue I'm afraid!

Cheers. I guess i'l l have to call my advisor tomorrow.

Cheers. I guess i'l l have to call my advisor tomorrow.

Oh I'm too good to ye betimes ;)

Off the official document here on the first couple of pages. Be careful, that'll download it for you. Looks like as long as you can match the number to genotype, it doesn't matter of number of calves in a certain year, it's being worked off your reference year which was 2014.

''However, applicants must have enough breeding animals - cows, bulls, heifers and calves- on the farm to ensure that 60% of the reference animals in 2014 are genotyped each year of the programme, without duplication.''

and

''To be eligible for payment, at least 10 breeding animals, bulls, cows, heifers and calves, must be available for genotyping each year. These animals cannot have been genotyped previously.''

Oh I'm too good to ye betimes ;)

Off the official document here on the first couple of pages. Be careful, that'll download it for you. Looks like as long as you can match the number to genotype, it doesn't matter of number of calves in a certain year, it's being worked off your reference year which was 2014.

''However, applicants must have enough breeding animals - cows, bulls, heifers and calves- on the farm to ensure that 60% of the reference animals in 2014 are genotyped each year of the programme, without duplication.''

and

''To be eligible for payment, at least 10 breeding animals, bulls, cows, heifers and calves, must be available for genotyping each year. These animals cannot have been genotyped previously.''

My ref year is 2015 and I am committed to a certain number of cows as per a letter I sent in ~3 weeks ago. I had this number of cows before spotting this potential problem. Looks like I am ok though as none of them were genotyped before. Thanks Kovu.

• Advertisement

My ref year is 2015 and I am committed to a certain number of cows as per a letter I sent in ~3 weeks ago. I had this number of cows before spotting this potential problem. Looks like I am ok though as none of them were genotyped before. Thanks Kovu.

No problem, maybe just double check with your adviser to be sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭50HX

and

[/QUOTE]

wouldn't the calves being born each year cover the min 60% requirement to be genotyped even if a shot of the cows had been tagged in the last scheme?

50HX wrote: »

wouldn't the calves being born each year cover the min 60% requirement to be genotyped even if a shot of the cows had been tagged in the last scheme?

Could have a bad year and lose a chunk to TB/scour etc, especially if you cut back to minimum. Don't the calves have to be kept to 5 months as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Could have a bad year and lose a chunk to TB/scour etc, especially if you cut back to minimum. Don't the calves have to be kept to 5 months as well?

Yes , once all cows , heifers , and bull are tested they be doing calves , and correct about 5 month keep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

So would it make sense for us all to be genotyping our oldest cow's next year? Holding younger cow's and heifers a few years down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    So would it make sense for us all to be genotyping our oldest cow's next year? Holding younger cow's and heifers a few years down the road.

Technically yes, but ICBF Seams to be choosing the highest ranking females in the herd, & they choose not the farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Farrell wrote: »
    Technically yes, but ICBF Seams to be choosing the highest ranking females in the herd, & they choose not the farmer

The letter I got off them stated that they chose the cow's with the least amount of calves. Which was funny because they picked some cow's some of the heifers and calf's. None of my top ten cow's were selected.
    It also stated that next year they hope to have a system in place where the farmer chooses who to genotype, not ICBF

Strange. They took two pbs of three and four stars for us to tag, skipping another younger cow that's commercial and higher starred in the process. PB's get priority over the commercials it seems. Out of the whole lot we have to do, only one commercial was selected and she was born this year.

Have them in now to do at 3pm anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭limo_100

what happens when you have a cow and shes down as an AI Limousin sire but shes actually a Simmental??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

limo_100 wrote: »
    what happens when you have a cow and shes down as an AI Limousin sire but shes actually a Simmental??

I had two cows which were registered to the wrong bull, I rang and they changed them over the phone. Genotyping will show this up anyway.

tanko wrote: »
    I had two cows which were registered to the wrong bull, I rang and they changed them over the phone. Genotyping will show this up anyway.

true be told I didnt bother correcting it because it didn't make and difference at the time I am after taging her for the scheme so i'll see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

limo_100 wrote: »
    If they are a different breed you need to get a form off the DVO to correct it I was told.

If it's the same breed they can change the sire over the phone.

croot wrote: »
    If they are a different breed you need to get a form off the DVO to correct it I was told.

If it's the same breed they can change the sire over the phone.

Ill just play it out see what happens when the tag test comes they might do it for me save me the bother of it, and it will test if they get it right becauce i know that shes HKG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭High bike

Can anyone say for certain what the position is regarding buying in stock either a stock bull or heifers for breeding do their stars hold after you buy or are they open to change.I was led to believe the icbf stance was if you buy say a 5 star bull and his stars drop after you'r not penalised.was talking to a man today and he said he was at a meeting last week and it was said tough if the stars drop ur out of pocket???????

High bike wrote: »
    Can anyone say for certain what the position is regarding buying in stock either a stock bull or heifers for breeding do their stars hold after you buy or are they open to change.I was led to believe the icbf stance was if you buy say a 5 star bull and his stars drop after you'r not penalised.was talking to a man today and he said he was at a meeting last week and it was said tough if the stars drop ur out of pocket???????

The year you buy him is the stars that will be used for that year anyway, I don't know what happens if you want to use him for a second year and he dropped from 4 star to three star.
    You'd be out of pocket if you want to keep replacements off him though as any calves born will work off his lower mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭High bike

The year you buy him is the stars that will be used for that year anyway, I don't know what happens if you want to use him for a second year and he dropped from 4 star to three star.
    You'd be out of pocket if you want to keep replacements off him though as any calves born will work off his lower mark.
    so the stars only hold for a year in a bull , I presume the same applies to replacement heifers?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

High bike wrote: »
    so the stars only hold for a year in a bull , I presume the same applies to replacement heifers?
    Icbf is updated 3 times a year , if u buy a bull (5 star ) now and have him at end of scheme but he drops to 3 star it's ok cause u bought him as a 5 star , but if he drops to say 3 star than his calves are taken from what his rating is when there born

I'd said I didn't know as I hadn't time to check the rules for you then. I did just now and it covers you for all years you keep the bull, once he is 4/5 stars at time of purchase.
    This is what the rulebook says;
    A farmer using a stock bull must have a 4 or 5 star bull on his holding on the 30th of June 2019 and retain until 30 June 2020. This bull will be eligible for the programme provided that it was genotyped 4 or 5 stars at the time of purchase, regardless of whether it is subsequently reassessed as the general index rises. If the 4 or 5 star bull on the holding on 30 June 2019 is being replaced before 30 June 2020 it must be replaced by another 4 or 5 star bull.

I assume however that heifers off the bull in question will be rated to his lower stars if the bulls stars do drop. Otherwise it's making a mockery of the scheme as AI users have to put up with bull stars changing and ai bred heifers changing as reliability % increases and more data is input through the system.

Got my icbf suckler cow report today. I've noticed that the sale details such as weight and price per kilo of weanlings sold in Cavan, Carnaross and Ballyjamesduff marts is shown on the profile but details for weanlings sold in Cootehill aren't shown.
    I would have thought that icbf would have access to sale details at all marts. Has anyone else noticed this with different marts on their profiles?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭skoger

At the information meeting on Thursday a similar question came up and the icbf guy said that they get data from all marts in the country. He never when they got the last one up and running so maybe yours were sold before that?

Got my icbf suckler cow report today. I've noticed that the sale details such as weight and price per kilo of weanlings sold in Cavan, Carnaross and Ballyjamesduff marts is shown on the profile but details for weanlings sold in Cootehill aren't shown.
    I would have thought that icbf would have access to sale details at all marts. Has anyone else noticed this with different marts on their profiles?

Just out of interest and an inkling I have, does Cootehill have a different system in the office? As in do their sale sheets that you pick up with the prices & weights on look different to the ones you get in the other marts?

Just out of interest and an inkling I have, does Cootehill have a different system in the office? As in do their sale sheets that you pick up with the prices & weights on look different to the ones you get in the other marts?

It was in Macrch this year i sold the weanlings in Cootehill. They do have a different sort of sales sheet to Cavan and BJD anyway, can't remember what sheet in Carnaross looks like.
    Was anything said at the meeting about farmers selling weanlings direct off farm to exporters or feedlots losing out by not getting data transferred to ICBF?

It was in March this year i sold the weanlings in Cootehill. They do have a different sort of sales sheet to Cavan and BJD anyway, can't remember what sheet in Carnaross looks like.
    Was anything said at the meeting about farmers selling weanlings direct off farm to exporters or feedlots losing out by not getting data transferred to ICBF?

I think you can put weight in yourself? In the Record events>Live weight. A good guesstimate is better than a blank space anyway.
    If the sheet is on an A4 sheet and has no tearaway slip at the bottom it's the system I'm thinking of. Cavan/Ballyduff/Carnaross all have the other (good!) one in. Carnaross have sales sheets that double what the clerk writes excluding the buyer name, a blue bit of paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

I think you can put weight in yourself? In the Record events>Live weight. A good guesstimate is better than a blank space anyway.
    If the sheet is on an A4 sheet and has no tearaway slip at the bottom it's the system I'm thinking of. Cavan/Ballyduff/Carnaross all have the other (good!) one in. Carnaross have sales sheets that double what the clerk writes excluding the buyer name, a blue bit of paper.

Do not guestimate weights.

Only input actual weights from either a home scales or mart weights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

No data is better than bad data

Advertisement