Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Fight Night: Holloway v Oliveira

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I don't have high hopes for an exciting match here.

A wrestler/ jui jitsu fighter vs a judoka / jui jitsu fighter. Should be interesting in terms of grappling but it won't be fireworks and big hits.

Exciting matches dont have to have big hits and fireworks if you appreciate good ground game. Each to their own though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Holloway via Decision
    Magny won that round in the last 90 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Axwell wrote: »
    Exciting matches dont have to have big hits and fireworks if you appreciate good ground game. Each to their own though.

I love good jui jitsu but there's no way Magny can compete with Silva on the ground so it will just turn into silva hunting for triangles and Magny hoping for scrambles to go his way.

That said he got a great takedown there.

Silva trying to stand up with this reach disadvantage seems like a bad idea...

Neverind seems he was just waiting for Magny to come inside.

• Advertisement

20 - 18 for Magny in my book so far...

I'm guessing 29 - 28 in favour of Magny on a split decision.

I'm guessing 29 - 28 in favour of Magny on a split decision.

Pretty close. Think the 30 - 27 is harsh but Magny deserved that win.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I love good jui jitsu but there's no way Magny can compete with Silva on the ground so it will just turn into silva hunting for triangles and Magny hoping for scrambles to go his way.

That said he got a great takedown there.

Magny didnt have any problems with anything Silva had to offer there, great performance by him.

Looking forward to this. I love both fighters styles for different reasons, hope it's a good one.

• Advertisement

Oliveira needs to start walking out in the Michael Jackson Thriller outfit..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Holloway via Decision
    Unfortunate. Poor guy. Hope he's ok.

That's an Anticlimax...

Broken collarbone, that's him out for the guts of a year.

Broken collarbone, that's him out for the guts of a year.

Havent heard anyone say thats what it is and doesnt look like that at all to me, looks more like a torn shoulder joint. Even if it was his collarbone he would be able to be back in action in about 3-5 months. Hopefully its not something too serious like that but crap way to end the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Whatever it is hopefully it's something minor and they can have a rematch in the near future.

JT26 wrote: »
    Pinched nerve?would it be??

Hard to know, they will always take precautions when its anything to do with the neck so he left in a brace on a stretcher to the hospital. Hopefully turns out to be nothing too serious and would love to see a rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Holloway via Decision
    Great little card by all accounts bar the anticlimax of the main event! Feel so bad for Holloway he seemed even more devastated than Olivera.

Magny is a beast, but I said at the start silva is way to hot and cold he just didn't show up, didn't look as big as he normally looked either... But Magny put on a clinic great way to bounce back after the maia fight which there was no shame in getting decisioned by him.

Cote Burkmam was a war Brian stann said it best the guys were covering themselves in brain cells ah haha

Overall great little card were I wasn't expecting much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Oliveira via Decision
    Mellor wrote: »
    Most people is Canada speak English.
    A lot speak English and French.
    Some speak only French. Those people are mostly (French-)Canadian, not immigrants.

Why is that hard to grasp? It's a really strange thing to get annoyed over.

I think it's more "strange" how my single comment on Valerie's poor English has prompted you (and others) to feel the need to give speeches on Canadians and their language abilities/lack of. I am well aware of who speaks what, and I stand by my opinion she needs to put more effort into her English. Funny you felt the need to comment on it after it had already been quite drawn out:rolleyes:. Much ado about nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Holloway via Decision
    Couldn't post last night due to the Boards meltdown. As I said on the fantasy football thread, it's only when it's gone that you realise how much you miss the banter etc on here during fight night.

Anyway, enjoyable card.

- I thought Beal should have got the nod over Kelades. The 30-27 score to Beal was ridiculous but I had him 29-28. Not a robbery by any means though. Those shots to the calf that Kelades was landing while Beal was in his guard seemed to do a lot of damage.

- de Lima wanted nothing to do with Krylov. Easy for me to say from the comfort of my armchair having never fought MMA I suppose, but he tapped so quickly and didn't look like he much in him in terms of trying to escape.

- Arantes' technique in securing that armbar was a joy to watch. That was the definition of the Move of the Night that Fox constantly, constantly plug thanks to Metro PCS.

- Full respect to Frankie Perez but it's the wrong fighter retiring. Stout should bow out now before he does himself some serious damage. The likes of Bisping saying Perez doesn't have the balls and should leave it to the real men is exactly why you have guys going around like vegetables at 40 years of age. Perhaps if they were brave enough to bow out on their own terms like Perez....

- I backed Létourneau at 17/10 during the week as I thought she was very good value but was extremely fearful after the weigh-in when she looked like she was close to death. I changed my fantasy pick but thankfully let the bet run. Very comfortable for her throughout and the womens strawweight division (with the very odd exception) remains an (extremely enjoyable) absolute crapshoot.

- How about that 3rd round from Burkham and Cote! Awesome respect from both fighters throughout and a superb finish.

- I thought Magny would grind out a decision if he could get past the first round. I was surprised to see Magny dominate the first round like he did, and he never really looked in any serious danger. Fair play to him coming in on short notice 3 weeks after fighting.

- Very worrying finish in the main event and there's really nothing we can gleam from the fight in all honesty. That said, Holloway looked pretty sharp and smooth. Fingers crossed Oliveria makes a full recovery and we perhaps see that fight again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Call me a cynical feck but looked to me like Oliveira was getting tooled up on the feet and when he had his take down shrugged off he just wanted out, Holloway looked a level above him in the striking. He has previous too with his delayed reactions and just quitting (see the Cub Swanson fight). I'll be shocked if it isn't just reported as a vague "neck injury" with no specifics despite them running tests. If it was any other fighter I wouldn't say anything but something about that guy i just don't trust.

Holloway via Decision
    Neck injury which caused his body to go numb, per Oliveria himself. Scary stuff:
    Charles Oliveira’s four-fight winning streak was snapped on Sunday night due to an injury at the UFC Fight Night 74 main event in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, and it wasn’t the first time the Brazilian suffered that type of injury.

"do Bronx", who got injured after shooting for a takedown against Max Holloway a minute and a half into the opening round, spoke to MMAFighting.com on Monday morning and explained he had a neck injury going into the fight.

"I injured my neck in training, but did physical therapy and thought everything was fine," Oliveira told MMAFighting.com, "but when I fell against the cage everything went numb, I couldn’t feel my body."

The UFC featherweight was rushed to the hospital right after the fight, and has yet to be released by the doctors. "I’m still doing a lot of exams here at the hospital," he said.

Following a frustrating loss, "do Bronx" hopes the UFC books a rematch against Holloway, who has now won seven in a row in the featherweight division.

"I trained really hard for this fight," Oliveira said. "I would like a rematch because there was no fight. I got injured literally the first time I attacked."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/08/ufc-esophagus-tear-forced-charles-oliveiras-early-ufc-fight-night-74-exit

Guess I was being too much of a cynical tosser. If a rematch is scheduled I don't see Oliviera having much of a chance though, Max looked class.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

A minor oesophageal tear apparently, potentially fatal. He's a lucky boy.

It always amazes me how people can take huge knocks and be ok, but something small can do a lot of damage

Holloway via Decision
    Fight Companion from last night if anyone's interested:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Holloway via Decision
    Paully D wrote: »
    Fight Companion from last night if anyone's interested:

Sorted for my bus to work tomorrrow cheers!

• Advertisement

Holloway via Decision
    ASOT wrote: »
    Sorted for my bus to work tomorrrow cheers!

About two minutes in - Rogan:

"This bitch can't breath. Actually, I probably shouldn't say bitch as I do work for this organisation." :pac:

Advertisement