Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turns out the novel I'm reading is Christian fiction

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I think it's going to depend on what you define as "Christian fiction", isn't it? I'd argue that the Narnia books are intentionally evangelistic - whether they're ham-fisted or not depends on the personal taste of the reader, maybe.
    Or, indeed The Da Vinci Code.

As much as the RCC had a conniption about it, in order to immerse oneself in the book requires a lot of assumptions about the existence of various peoples and organisations. So it could very much be described as "Christian fiction".

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Michael OBrien

robindch wrote: »
    I sit corrected - though there's a fair amount of catholicism evident in his writings, and I suspect Tolkien might have helped that along.

Anyhow, here's Lewis making a very shaky case indeed for christianity:

359688.JPG

Wow, that is truly flawed thinking (pun intended) by Lewis.
    It is packed with errors and a total failure to think through the issues, including from the perspective that if there is no god, and his view that that means his thinking is flawed, then his thinking there IS a god, would also be as flawed as thinking there was none.
    Basically he really wanted there to be one, so he could justify his own belief in retrospect. Circular reasoning at its finest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Circular reasoning at its finest.
    The orbit of that piece of circular reasoning is so compact that it's a wonder Lewis didn't disappear up his own bum after producing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

robindch wrote: »
    I sit corrected - though there's a fair amount of catholicism evident in his writings, and I suspect Tolkien might have helped that along.

Anyhow, here's Lewis making a very shaky case indeed for christianity:

359688.JPG

Gosh that's embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Zillah wrote: »
    Gosh that's embarrassing.

He probably thought of that argument right after he created furry jesus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement