Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much input does your gf/wife/significant other have in your life choices?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Man, some people in here are mental.

Smash, it's your money. As long as it doesn't negatively impact whatever you both plan to do together in the future then there shouldn't be a problem.

Myself and my GF have separate bank accounts. We also have a joint account for the usual mortgage, bills, shopping etc.

Anything in our separate account is our own money and we are free to do whatever we want with it. As long as the mortgage and bills are covered there's no problem.

Yesterday I told her I was converting our unused garage into a man cave. No problem. She wants an extension with concertina sliding doors, I said no problem. I'm planning an underground extension at the moment, she hasn't got a problem with that either. Some people freak out for the sake of it.

Simple answer though....just don't tax the car. Problem solved. Use the tax money to buy her a 1 seater couch..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I have a long-term GF and we live together. That being said, we don't share finances so we don't really have any "say" in what we spend or do individually. Alternatively, although I ask her advice on big decisions I'm not necessarily going to follow it - it's not like it would be IMO if we were married.

I guess more than getting input per se, I consider her in the decisions I make. Lol I wouldn't just take some job overseas and be like :wave: from the airport. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭fits

Simple answer though....just don't tax the car. Problem solved. Use the tax money to buy her a 1 seater couch..... :)

I think the tax money would probably buy a nice three piece suite ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

fits wrote: »

Don't you be winking at me! You looking for half of my stuff?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'm getting conscious that I might be portraying her as a bitch, because she's not. She's just a bit scabby :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The motor tax on these cars could be used to buy her a decent runabout. Couch me ear, sit on a transmission crate. ;)

jimgoose wrote: »
    The motor tax on these cars could be used to buy her a decent runabout. Couch me ear, sit on a transmission crate. ;)

Maybe she wouldnt want a 'runabout'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Maybe she wouldnt want a 'runabout'

Indeed. I found this in eight seconds:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar/9669680?offset=2

Yep thats pretty bad alright. Must have been some wedding if it took up 15k plus savings plus parents contributions plus gifts!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

off topic, but if shes lying about that... what else could she be lying about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

smash wrote: »
    I'm getting conscious that I might be portraying her as a bitch, because she's not. She's just a bit scabby :pac:

Yeah, it really doesn't help her case when you come on here to say...
    smash wrote: »
    I got the text of the century 15 minutes ago:

"Can I borrow your car tomorrow to show my parents?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Funny I was just thinking of the affect my gf is having on my life, the people at work told me Ive calmed down a lot and seem to really be enjoying myself. I was offered a job in Toronto which if by myself, I would have taken if nothing but the money, I turned it down cause she didnt want to stay here, she never said it as such, I just knew she didnt.
    I think the right person has a positive impact on life, mine has for sure, looking forward to taking her home to mammy and daddy, well mostly to watch her try understand my father :pac::D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,403 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The issue here isn't the car, it's that the OP and his girlfriend quite simply aren't same page when it comes to finances, whether joint or separate.

OP, considering you've already been around the block already, you probably don't need me to tell you that this is something you need to get sorted before you hitch your wagon again. Any issues you have now are fixable. Get married and it's a different ballgame.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 GoingBonkers

1 vote for 0 input

Advertisement