Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EGM and AGM notices

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭pawntof4

Is there an agenda for both the EGM and AGM?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭sinbad68

AGM is followed by Blitz championship, but NO info about blitz format and also with a week to go, no sign of it being fide rated :(

https://ratings.fide.com/tournament_list.phtml?moder=ev_code&country=IRL&rating_period=2015-10-01#2015-12-01

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

There's a reminder about the AGM and EGM on the ICU website -
    Please note that the EGM will take place at 2.30pm on Sunday 4th of October in the Elm Mount Chess Club in the Ierne Sports and Social Club, Drumcondra, Dublin 9.

The AGM will take place at 11am on Sunday 11th October 2015 in the Academy Plaza Hotel, Findlater Place (just off Upper O’ Connell Street in Dublin city centre and around the corner from the Gresham Hotel).

The Irish Blitz Championships will take place in the afternoon at the same venue with registration at 1.45 pm and play starting at 2.30pm sharp.

Please also note that the Constitution provides that only paid up members are eligible to vote at both meetings. For this purpose a paid up member is a person who was a member of the union during the 2014/15 membership year.

Persons who paid their membership fee for the 2015/16 membership year during the previous membership year (2014/15) are not eligible to vote at either meeting unless they were also members during the 2014/15 membership year.

This is because their membership year only commenced on 1st September 2015 which is after the date on which the notice of the AGM was posted on the ICU websites.
    The penultimate paragraph is interesting in light of the 2014/15 membership year being closed early.

In reply to pawntof4's query - I don't see an explicit agenda for either meeting anyway. We can assume the EGM will consider each of the four items in turn, and presumably nothing else can be added to the agenda outside of that as the required notice period wouldn't have been given.

I know a query was sent to Pat about the constitutionality of the EGM in light of the changes to the documents being proposed; I don't know was any reply ever received?

Also, with a week to go to the AGM, there's still no reports from the Chair, the Vice-Chair, the PRO, the Development Officer, the FIDE delegate, the ratings officer, the tournament officer or any of the vacated posts (secretary and women's officer) - in fact, only the treasurer and the junior officer have submitted reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Nice to finally get clarification that I'm not eligible to vote. A shame it couldn't have arrived before I paid for my 2015/2016 membership and flights. If only they'd answered my question I tried to post on the website..

Edit: As it turns out, even if I had been allowed to vote, I couldn't have attended anyway, as I have a job interview, but still..

Also - will the ineligible attendees have to be physically removed from the room, or will they be asked to leave of their own volition?

Constitution not passed. I think the vote was something like 23-22 in favour, but didn't get the two-thirds majority.

51 in attendance

• Advertisement

Disciplinary document withdrawn to be rewritten to provide for a three-man disciplinary panel to be elected at AGMs to conduct initial appeals (as opposed to an initial committee being elected by and from the exec)

NCC rules passed almost unanimously after a small change to fix the issue about Galway players being ineligible if they've played for another team

Eligibility passed with minor amendments - it doesn't apply to junior tournaments, the senior champion is bound by the same appearance criteria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

cdeb wrote: »
    Eligibility passed with minor amendments - it doesn't apply to junior tournaments, the senior champion is bound by the same appearance criteria

Can we have the exact new wording if possible, please?

By "senior" I take it you mean "senior" in the peculiar Irish-chess sense of the word rather than the (normal, understood everywhere else) sense of 50+/65+ players?

This rule change will all need to be reviewed by the new executive and probably subjected to a new egm? As I read it, the eligibility document seemed designed to favour one player (Daly) at the expense of one or two others (Jessel).

Also I thought the provision that could lead to somebody being entitled to an olympiad place three years later even if they had in the meantime experienced a total loss of health, form or both was misguided. The package as a whole seemed designed to ensure Ireland could never play its strongest team in an olympiad.

Sorry - my post wasn't particularly clear on that motion alright.

A couple of points to note on this one (i.e. the eligibility criteria) -

Firstly, I don't have the exact wording; I'm sure it will be published in due course (it was confirmed that, in the absence of a secretary, the treasurer was taking minutes). I'll try reconstruct here - just allow for a mistake on my part.

Also worth noting this was the motion which had changed since it had originally been posted on the ICU website, with no notification of this fact. Specifically, the current paragraphs 5 and 6 (I think - or else it was 6 and 7) had been inserted, not significantly altering the jist of the motion, and had been done so within the time-frame allowed, even if the ICU neglected to tell anyone. On that basis, the Chair decided the motion could be put to the floor.

A couple of clarifications were sought -

1) What teams does this apply to? It wasn't intended to apply for junior selection, although the document isn't clear on this fact. I think it is being clarified in paragraph 1 that "A person is eligible to be selected to play for Ireland in non-junior events" - "senior" was initially suggested, but replaced with "non-junior" for the reasons you note. The World Under-20s counts as a junior event as it's described as such with FIDE, even though 20 years of age doesn't usually count as "junior"

2) What is the point of paragraph 6? It was clarified this relates specifically to female team selection.

3) The bit about multiple Irish champions got most talk. Philip Short has qualified for the next Olympiad by virtue of being Irish champion. Should he win next year - and should that be before the next Olympiad - he will be eligible to a place on the subsequent Olympiad team as well. It was noted that a person could, as you say, be a lot worse or even inactive - and I guess that's what we were voting on in part.

It was pointed out that the Irish champion is still governed by the initial eligibility criteria - i.e. minimum number of games, etc. This contradicts the new paragraph 9a, which says that differing criteria apply to the Irish champion. So 9a was scrapped, 9b and 9c moved up one and a new 9c was inserted that the Irish champion's place is subject to the same criteria as earlier.

4) For players outside Ireland, I think it was clarified that para 3, the first bullet point, allows that games outside Ireland count towards a foreign-resident, but otherwise eligible, player (such as Jessel) The point certainly wasn't pushed from the floor.

The amendments were voted on, and the rule change was passed - so so far as I can see, there's no need for a further EGM and the document is now a rule. The vote was something like 31-10, with a few abstentions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

cdeb wrote: »
    Also worth noting this was the motion which had changed since it had originally been posted on the ICU website, with no notification of this fact. Specifically, the current paragraphs 5 and 6 (I think - or else it was 6 and 7) had been inserted, not significantly altering the jist of the motion, and had been done so within the time-frame allowed, even if the ICU neglected to tell anyone. On that basis, the Chair decided the motion could be put to the floor.

For reference here is the motion as it currently appears on the ICU website, and the original draft can be found here

If my reading of it is correct I would argue that one of the points added is a significant enough change to the spirit of the motion as it means that a player who is an active participant in the Irish chess scene and meets all the other eligibility criteria could nevertheless be denied a place on a team because all the non-Irish slots are already taken.
    I'm not sure a rule like this does much to serve the interests of the Irish community as a whole.
    7. Not more than one third of a representative international team (including substitutes),
    may be made up of players who qualify under 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

7. Not more than one third of a representative international team (including substitutes),
    may be made up of players who qualify under 2.
    If I recall correctly, Pat was asked to explain this point and someone pointed out that it was already part of the selection critieria instead of being a new change. It is not. Unfortunately it seems like the EGM attendees (including myself) weren't on their toes on this one and did not ask for further exposition.

I may be misrecollecting though..I know that Pat pointed out it should only affect Monika Gedvailijte of our current senior internationals.

How does Stephen Jessel qualify to play for Ireland?

If he was born in Ireland, had a parent born in Ireland or is an Irish citizen (which I presume means has an Irish passport), then the above rule 7 doesn't affect him.

Pat did mention Monika - although in the top seven Irish women at the moment, you have Monika, Karina Kruk, Diana Mirza, Poormina Menon and Anastasija Manojlovic. I don't know how each of them qualify - I know the latter three are in Ireland quite some time anyway - but it might be more a factor for the women's team than the open team?

Advertisement