Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HALFORDS Bargains [No Code requests!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

They are the best value for money IMO.

Other twice the price satnav models are sold with bells and whistles, glass screens and so on, that in real life are useless.

I cant use the back of my pen to key in address on the expensive models because of the high tech touch screens, which you may think is not a big deal. But if you are trying to reach the thing from a van seat(or car seat) 30 times a day, the extra 6" of a pen is golden.

All you need is a good solid usable platform which the Nuvi line has.

Always go for an LM models, Lifetime maps. Even second hand. Plug them into garmin express and they update hassle free.

You can hack them with pirate maps, but its messy and could brick your nuvi very easy. Not worth the hassle.

Map updates from garmin cost as much as a new garmin. Pointless.

Had to read the whole sentence twice:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭54and56

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Depends on what you want to use it for. Very poor output which might allow you to charge a phone or tablet but you might as well get a USB charger for that, you won't be boiling a kettle, that's for sure. Plus, it will drain your battery unless you maintain fairly high revs, power inverters are very inefficient.

Will that power inverter charge a laptop whilst the car is being driven along or does it just slow down the amount of battery drain from the laptop if the laptop is being used by a rear seat passenger for watching movies etc? If a laptop charges to 100% at home in 90 minutes how long would it take one of these to do the same job?

(I've reserved on but only want to buy it if it will actually be useful otherwise it'll end up in the glove box and never used!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Will that power inverter charge a laptop whilst the car is being driven along or does it just slow down the amount of battery drain from the laptop if the laptop is being used by a rear seat passenger for watching movies etc? If a laptop charges to 100% at home in 90 minutes how long would it take one of these to do the same job?

(I've reserved on but only want to buy it if it will actually be useful otherwise it'll end up in the glove box and never used!!)

Have a look on the laptop power supply and see how many watts it is, if it states AMP draw. I cannot imagine that feable 70 watts is going to do at all. Its a more or less pointless product, because the majority of items that it could power most likely will be able to be powered by USB, in which case whats the point in this device. Its so cheap, its hard to ignore though!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Bought one of those a few years back in argos.

Utter barrel of ****e, wouldnt charge a thing. Based on that for me. no.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭54and56

listermint wrote: »

I think you're saying it's not worth getting :D

I'll pass on my reservation so. I've bought so many gadgets over the years which fail to live up to expectations. I don't need any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I think you're saying it's not worth getting :D

I'll pass on my reservation so. I've bought so many gadgets over the years which fail to live up to expectations. I don't need any more.

Im not sure, but I get the feeling he doesn't recommend it......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭dodzy

listermint wrote: »
    Bought one of those a few years back in argos.

Bought 2 on the back of your recommendation. Cheers listermint :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I have the 125 piece set and find it fantastic. Haven't been left without a bit yet, but if I could go back in time I'd pick up the larger set.

Had the 170 piece reserved but went for the 200 instead earlier on reflection

Fantastic bit of kit, I've been using a €50 LIDL set last 3 years and its served me well to be fair

If you have the Halfords professional tool chest like me :P , you can knock out the pins (can be refitted if you wish [ no damage] ) on the back of the case and they fit the drawers perfectly.

kmNd9Dc.jpg

Fge1K9a.jpg

qg5ZWUy.jpg

jXzK7R2.jpg

jjFcI2R.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Hey eringobragh how do you find the professional tool chest? It is €230 at the moment and at that price it seems like I'm wasting money by not buying it!
    It looks like a serious piece of kit to me at that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭NeverWaining

Fine set eringobragh. If I had a good garage space I'd have the chest and full kit. But alas, I don't. :/

• Advertisement

Hey eringobragh how do you find the professional tool chest? It is €230 at the moment and at that price it seems like I'm wasting money by not buying it!
    It looks like a serious piece of kit to me at that price.

Its very good quality, at the time couldn't justify the price jump to the black industrial version as I'm a DIYer but the pro is well built -

The pro has ball bearing sliders, etc

I'd hang tight for a while If I were you on the pro and see what happens as they are always fluctuating in price

I got the 4 , 5 and 7 drawer as a bundle for €315 (was in store at €350 [minus 10%) (well Mrs got me it for the birthday)

I presented them with this and got the 10% off

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/111611/372749.pdf

All in all I got the set for €315 which is a steal ;)

Fine set eringobragh. If I had a good garage space I'd have the chest and full kit. But alas, I don't. :/

Cheers, nor do I but I'm building one at some point in the future so its in the box room at the minute :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Reserved one of the cigarette lighter to plug adapters in Naas as was none in Dublin, sent the girlfriend to collect it from Tallaght after work she arrived home two hours later and threw it at me ha.

Nothing better than getting a new gadget

Cheers, nor do I but I'm building one at some point in the future so its in the box room at the minute :cool:

Haha you better. It's f**king pointless having that kit in the box room.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Keep thinking there is a new bargain in the thread every time it's bumped but really it seems that i'm just catching up on the conversations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

vicwatson wrote: »
    Keep thinking there is a new bargain in the thread every time it's bumped but really it seems that i'm just catching up on the conversations.

Another notification that isn't a bargain :/
    But please give whatever feedback you have on the "Megathreads" in the following thread. Thanks

Another notification that isn't a bargain :/
    Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Margan

Just got an emailing saying.... “10% Off Everything Flash Sale. But hurry! Offer from 6pm - 8pm today only!"

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Got a pleasant surprise yesterday, 20% of all batteries with AXA card this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Got a pleasant surprise yesterday, 20% of all batteries with AXA card this month.

Batteries in Halfords are easily more than 20% more expensive than a good motor factors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

wingnut wrote: »
    Batteries in Halfords are easily more than 20% more expensive than a good motor factors.

In general halfords are a rip off but the ownbrand batteries are yuasa and I doubt you'd find yuasa quality for the same price as 20% off in your local motor factors.

Also in my experience halfords are much better to deal with with a warranty claim where as motor factors generally have the attitude that you've abused the battery and are trying to rob them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭bladespin

wingnut wrote: »

And the rest, last one I was looking for there was more than double the local motor factors price.

Also, please note batteries are not Yuasa, they may be made for them under contract but are to Halford's spec not Yuasa.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

In general halfords are a rip off but the ownbrand batteries are yuasa and I doubt you'd find yuasa quality for the same price as 20% off in your local motor factors.

Also in my experience halfords are much better to deal with with a warranty claim where as motor factors generally have the attitude that you've abused the battery and are trying to rob them.

Agreed, filters and stuff dearer generally. I think you would struggle to get an 063 battery with a 4 YEAR WARRANTY for €50 and be confident of an exchange at 3 years and 6 months if it failed in your local motor factor. I have exchanged a 4 year warranty battery in Halfords with about 2 months warranty left, no quibble.

That said on a recent motorcycle battery purchase Halfords were more than twice the price, albeit Yuasa versus unknown brand in batteryworld so as always it pays to shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭bladespin

Agreed, filters and stuff dearer generally. I think you would struggle to get an 063 battery with a 4 YEAR WARRANTY for €50 and be confident of an exchange at 3 years and 6 months if it failed in your local motor factor..

Not with a receipt you wouldn't ;) warranty is warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Talking about batteries: http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-parts/yuasa-y60-n24l-a-powersport-battery
    €24 incl. the additional 20% off, down from €87.99 and good stock levels everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Got a joie nitro buggy for 55 plus 10% off for being axa customer. These are seriously good kids buggy for being nimble and easy to push. These are 100 in smyths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

4 Litres of concentrated urine for diesel drivers:
    http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/adblue-starter-kit-4-litres
    Seems like a good price. For the love of god do not spill it anywhere except into your AdBlue tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

4 Litres of concentrated urine for diesel drivers:
    http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/adblue-starter-kit-4-litres
    Seems like a good price. For the love of god do not spill it anywhere except into your AdBlue tank.

how long before someone wee's in their adblu tank, thinking thats its the same thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭khamilto

Transcend DrivePro 220 for €114 on halfords.ie. ~€20 cheaper than Amazon.
    http://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/transcend-drivepro-220-dash-cam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

20% off all motorcycle stuff including Sat Navs. Orders must be checked out online. Bank holiday special

Join Ireland Weather Network

Advertisement