Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

You Don't Have The Right To Unplug Another EV !

Options
2»

Comments

This is why the ESB must start billing for usage to stop the inconsiderate people from using the chargers just because they're free.

I would like to see an additional fee above 80-85% max.

If someone needs the charge then I have no objection to them shopping while charging provided it's no more than the 20-30 mins it can take to get to 80% in cooler weather however locals using it because it's free is another matter.

The fast chargers are designed to charge to 80% only and never intended to charge beyond so I would understand unplugging someone if they abandon the car.

I will continue to emphasise the value of the 6.6 Kw charger , to reduce your need for waiting at fast chargers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

NIMAN wrote:
    Excuse my stupid question, but how can someone unplug you then?

When the car has finished charging and they are plugged into a fast charge point or if you are not locking the cable on a standard charge(dangerous)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So if you are using a fast charger, can you initially lock it, with it only releasing itself once charged?

NIMAN wrote: »
    So if you are using a fast charger, can you initially lock it, with it only releasing itself once charged?

yes or until the charger timer switches the charging off after usually 59 mins, though last few times I say 40 mins on the Carlow fast charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So if your car was fully charged, or had used up it alloted or allowable time on the charger, why would it bother you if someone else unplugged you?

Fairs fair, you don't own the charger, it's there for communal use.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    So if your car was fully charged, or had used up it alloted or allowable time on the charger, why would it bother you if someone else unplugged you?

Fairs fair, you don't own the charger, it's there for communal use.

It wouldn't under those circumstances. But the point I'm making is that you don't know the circumstances whether someone needs all the charge or not beyond 80% and you don't know who is shopping and charging because it's free.

My original post was in relation to my car being plugged out at 70% from a standard non fast charge point at Blanch which I couldn't understand how could happen because cable was locked into the car and charge point. The ESB later told me there has been issues with this charge point that could have stopped the charge which would have allowed the other person to plug me out regardless whether the car is locked or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I'm sorry , I stand by my view. If you are using a FCP, and you wish to ensure continuous charging , then I believe you should remain with the car. Anything else ( dropping into Lidl , having a burger , suggests you have plenty of time and can withstand being plugged out. Other people may have limited time. I would simply expect my car to be plugged back in.

Of course this all becomes moot once we seeing charging. It certainly needs to be priced to " encourage " home charging. However I believe given the current minuscule population of EVs. It's far too soon to start charging

The CHADEMO points I used unlocked when you pressed the button on the top of the handle I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

BoatMad wrote: »
    Anything else suggests you have plenty of time and can withstand being plugged out.

Lol

How does it suggest that?

If I go to the local car wash for a mini valet they tell me it's going to take about 20 minutes and I use that time to go into the shop etc.

If I go into the shop and another car arrives should the guys doing the valet stop and do that car and only do mine once I come back?

Charging is the same. If I plug into a FCP at 10%, I know that it will be about 20 minutes until I'm ready to go again.

Even an ICE driver will go into the shop while the attendant pumps the fuel. Should ICE drivers stand by the pump watching the attendant pump and only when they're finished go in and pay?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Lol

How does it suggest that?

If I go to the local car wash for a mini valet they tell me it's going to take about 20 minutes and I use that time to go into the shop etc.

If I go into the shop and another car arrives should the guys doing the valet stop and do that car and only do mine once I come back?

Charging is the same. If I plug into a FCP at 10%, I know that it will be about 20 minutes until I'm ready to go again.

Even an ICE driver will go into the shop while the attendant pumps the fuel. Should ICE drivers stand by the pump watching the attendant pump and only when they're finished go in and pay?

In all cases you mentioned , the car is attended. Next time lock on the fuel nozzle , and head in for a burger and see how far you get. ! Lol

Next time lock on the fuel nozzle , and head in for a burger and see how far you get. ! Lol

The very obvious difference is that it doesn't take a similar length of time to fuel an ICE as it does to have a burger.

You have yet to give any justification as to why you feel it unreasonable to start a 20 minute process, leave for 20 minutes and return as/before it ends.

To insist that users stay with their cars while they charge achieves nothing other than making charging times even longer during long journeys, since now instead of:
    *plug in-shop while you charge-leave*

It would now be:
    *plug in-wait in while you charge-shop-leave*

• Advertisement

The very obvious difference is that it doesn't take a similar length of time to fuel an ICE as it does to have a burger.

You have yet to give any justification as to why you feel it unreasonable to start a 20 minute process, leave for 20 minutes and return as/before it ends.

To insist that users stay with their cars while they charge achieves nothing other than making charging times even longer during long journeys, since now instead of:
    *plug in-shop while you charge-leave*

It would now be:
    *plug in-wait in while you charge-shop-leave*

Unless you leave a clear indication of charge status. Then you should face unplugging. It's completely unreasonable to pull up in your EV To find a car plugged into a FCP ( and I purely refer to fcps) with no indication of when the driver will return.

Personally the solution is to limit FCP to 20 mins

Unless we are prepared to share the FCP infrastructure , the whole FCP system will break down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Unless you leave a clear indication of charge status. Then you should face unplugging. It's completely unreasonable to pull up in your EV To find a car plugged into a FCP ( and I purely refer to fcps) with no indication of when the driver will return.

It's all moot, the only way to disengage the lock is to hit the emergency stop. That can cause issues with some vehicles and some rapid chargers....

Still there's a Taxi driver regularly leaves his Leaf at Midway in portlaoise and gets a lift from his partner to go home for his tea....

That wouldn't be so much of a problem for me if he didn't always park in the right hand space... ensuring that even when he has hit 100% I have to park sideways and block three spaces to charge... or if there's someone in the adjoining space I'm screwed.

cros13 wrote: »
    It's all moot, the only way to disengage the lock is to hit the emergency stop. That can cause issues with some vehicles and some rapid chargers....

Still there's a Taxi driver regularly leaves his Leaf at Midway in portlaoise and gets a lift from his partner to go home for his tea....

That wouldn't be so much of a problem for me if he didn't always park in the right hand space... ensuring that even when he has hit 100% I have to park sideways and block three spaces to charge... or if there's someone in the adjoining space I'm screwed.

Maybe I was confused. But with CHADEMO , I just could also press button on top of the handle. I was of the opinion that CHADEMO connectors were latched when in operation not locked

Again you give no logical reason for this.

All FCPs show the charge level. If I arrive at one and an unattended car is only at 5% then why would I unplug them?

The only time there is a logical reason or need to unplug someone is if they have passed 80%.

Leaving your car unattended when you are passed that point is rude and inconsiderate.

You have failed completely to give any reasoning for why leaving a car unattended in the very early stages of a charge is unacceptable to you.

Again you give no logical reason for this.

All FCPs show the charge level. If I arrive at one and an unattended car is only at 5% then why would I unplug them?

The only time there is a logical reason or need to unplug someone is if they have passed 80%.

Leaving your car unattended when you are passed that point is rude and inconsiderate.

You have failed completely to give any reasoning for why leaving a car unattended in the very early stages of a charge is unacceptable to you.

I actually don't have a problem with the 80 % rule, I still find it rude that people just think they can " feck off " and leave the car charging without any instructions for others to do .

I'm merely dealing with the situation where you find a car will nearly full charge and no owner around. I'm not talking about a situation where you nip inside to get a coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Maybe I was confused. But with CHADEMO , I just could also press button on top of the handle. I was of the opinion that CHADEMO connectors were latched when in operation not locked

To my knowledge that's not the case. AFAIK it's not supposed to be possible to disconnect without stopping the charge first. With the leaf there is an emergency release cord for the ChaDeMo lock near the glovebox in case the connector stays locked.
    All FCPs show the charge level.

I'm afraid that's not the case. The efacec's common down south will only show charge level to the user identified by the RFID card which started the charge.

I actually don't have a problem with the 80 % rule, I still find it rude that people just think they can " feck off " and leave the car charging without any instructions for others to do
    But why!

You have an irrational fear of people using common sense and saving time by going and doing 20 minutes worth of something/anything while their car is doing 20 minutes of charging. It's simple time management.

I'm merely dealing with the situation where you find a car will nearly full charge and no owner around. I'm not talking about a situation where you nip inside to get a coffee

What do you mean by clear indication of charge status? If the FCP doesn't display the status then does everyone have to keep a stash of post it notes handy in case you're around?

A simple phone number on the dash or charge port flap.

But why!

You have an irrational fear of people using common sense and saving time by going and doing 20 minutes worth of something/anything while their car is doing 20 minutes of charging. It's simple time management.

my experience is that those that abuse it, do so, for far more then 20 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Your 'experience'? You don't even have an EV yet, right?

• Advertisement

s.welstead wrote: »
    Your 'experience'? You don't even have an EV yet, right?

I experienced it on two occasions during the five day trial

Ive since taken a keen interest in FCP activity, Ive seen three more occasions where the waiting time was abused, once in Gorey ( user was in Lidl from evidence , > 40 minutes) , two in Coynes cross ( again > 40 minutes ,) not exactly sure in these cases exact timing, but it was the car car plugged in there for the duration

IN several cases where the user was sitting in their car and I arrived, they wrerte very aware that I was waiting and courteously came over and said ( I'm only 10 mins or so etc )

however the ones that had none present, also forced me to bugger off and do shopping, except I wasn't plugged in

So your solution is to punish those who don't abuse it in the off chance that they might.

So your solution is to punish those who don't abuse it in the off chance that they might.

Well, I believe as the EV population builds it will inevitably outstrip fast charger provision in particular.

Also as more ordinary car users purchase EVs we'll have less fanboys and less a "collegiate collectively " type of ethos

The current lassez-faire approach will not survive that influx.

Personally I believe there needs to be order brought to bear, perhaps a charge based on minutes connected might focus the mind

Im not really interested in having a barney, I merely believe that some form of "enforced" discipline will be needed

Advertisement