Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pacteau pleads guilty to murder of Karen Buckley

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I don't think there is a mandatory term in Scotland, it's up to the judge.

Certainly being reported that there is.
    Pacteau faces a mandatory life sentence when he returns to court for sentencing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Her dad was so brave reading that statement.

Absolutely. He came across as such an amazing man there. RIP Karen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Police seem to think he intended to attack a woman that night and that Karen encountered him completely by chance. Looks like he might have offered her a lift as he initially drove in the direction of her apartment. She probably died within 20 minutes of meeting him, what a dangerous evil bastard. The whole thing is so utterly tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

I don't get it, how ****ed up can you be, going out with the mindset of attacking a woman?

Jesus Christ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Certainly being reported that there is.

Doesn't mean life

law.jpg
    law2.jpg
    law3.jpg

I know he will be kept away from general population but so was Ian Huntly and the other criminals also got to him. He won't have a nice time in prison with what he is going to prison for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

I read what he did to her body.....horrific stuff.The poor thing.

So sad that the family were not able to see her before the funeral.

At least he pleaded guilty. He'll rot in hell.

If you were one of the members of the jury that found him not guilty of attempted rape a few years back, I'd say you'd have to feel sick. Not saying they should do, but would be only human nature to question that decision given what he went on to do.

Doesn't mean life..

I never said it did.

I was responding to user that said they didn't think there was a mandatory term in Scotland and that it was up to the judge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

If you were one of the members of the jury that found him not guilty of attempted rape a few years back, I'd say you'd have to feel sick. Not saying they should do, but would be only human nature to question that decision given what he went on to do.

If the evidence wasn't there for that crime then they couldn't really do anything else. It's just such a pity that if he was guilty of that, which lets face it he most likely was, that they couldn't have put together a stronger case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

The guilty plea shouldn't outweigh his efforts to destroy her remains and the lies he told police. He put that family through hell, I hope the judge shows him no mercy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

How do you legislate for such an animal though?

I remember it was a similar case with Jill Meagher's killer in Melbourne, he was a repeat offender who had pleaded guilty to several counts of rape and was still out and about on the streets. A ticking time bomb.

Everything about this case is just so helpless, that poor woman was doomed from the word go. I can think of no greater hell than living with the knowledge of your daughter/sister's final moments for the rest of your days. That poor family.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Her dad was so brave reading that statement. Poor family, having to hear that today. At least they're spared a trial

Unfortunately they won't be spared every other crime hack in the country cashing in by rushing some ghoulish book to print.

Yeah, I mean you Paul Williams.

beks101 wrote: »

I remember it was a similar case with Jill Meagher's killer in Melbourne, he was a repeat offender who had pleaded guilty to several counts of rape and was still out and about on the streets. A ticking time bomb.

Everything about this case is just so helpless, that poor woman was doomed from the word go. I can think of no greater hell than living with the knowledge of your daughter/sister's final moments for the rest of your days. That poor family.

Aren't most of those who commit sexual crimes repeat offenders?

The punishment and conviction rates need to both go way up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Jayop wrote: »
    Aren't most of those who commit sexual crimes repeat offenders?

The punishment and conviction rates need to both go way up.

Yeah and I was just reading up on Ian Huntley after someone mentioned him here. He had had previous 'encounters' with underage girls & accusations of sexual assaults etc. Why are these things not taken more seriously?

Yeah and I was just reading up on Ian Huntley after someone mentioned him here. He had had previous 'encounters' with underage girls & accusations of sexual assaults etc. Why are these things not taken more seriously?

You would say because of the time they happened, but things don't seem to have improved much.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,141 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Seems like the speed of the police identifying him via CCTV was key to securing a relatively swift unconditional guilty plea. Horrible experience for her family and friends, hopefully this aids in the grieving process.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Even if they personally thought he was guilty, it's very very difficult to secure enough evidence for a rape conviction. If it even makes it to trial in the first place.
    beks101 wrote: »

Yup. And the Manuela Riedo case in Galway. The man who killed her had previous serious assault convictions, was involved in a manslaughter case and had raped another foreign student a few weeks before he killed Manuela.

I'm pretty concerned that even though Pacteau has admitted guilt and there is little doubt that he killed Karen, his young age means that he could get out of prison as an adult capable of re-offending. Even if he gets 30 years, he would only be in his early 50s when released. It's a frightening thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭NotYourYear20

Yes but even if that jury had of convicted him, it is very likely the sick scumbag would have still killed once he was released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

The rape prosecution in 2013 wasn't the last opportunity the world had to put this guy behind bars.

About 12 months before he murdered Karen Buckley, Pacteau pleaded guilty to offences related to possessing £6,000 in counterfeit notes that he had printed in his own home.

http://news.stv.tv/west-central/275406-benefits-shame-led-to-alexander-pacteau-printing-fake-banknotes/

I can find no report of the sentence, but there seems not to have been any/significant prison term imposed.

Not that anybody could have predicted he would subsequently and brutally murder a woman at random, of course.

The murder just seems like a conspiracy of fate, in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

The poor family, what an awful time for them. They'll be stuck with this for the rest of their lives.

I hope that scumbag rots.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

conorh91 wrote: »

I can find no report of the sentence, but there seems not to have been any/significant prison term imposed.

Community service

conorh91 wrote: »
    The rape prosecution in 2013 wasn't the last opportunity the world had to put this guy behind bars.

About 12 months before he murdered Karen Buckley, Pacteau pleaded guilty to offences related to possessing £6,000 in counterfeit notes that he had printed in his own home.

http://news.stv.tv/west-central/275406-benefits-shame-led-to-alexander-pacteau-printing-fake-banknotes/

Not that anybody could have predicted he would subsequently and brutally murder a woman at random, of course.

The murder just seems like a conspiracy of fate, in a way.

TBF I don't think crimes like this should have a custodial sentence, it would leave more room in the prisons for the real scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Terrible tragedy.

However TWO good things come out of this, for me anyway.

1. All the speculation that Karen had "consensual sex" on the night have been disproven. Her name was a bit muddied to start with, and certain publications emphasised her possible "promiscuity". As if that is any reason for a person to be murdered. I am so glad that her good name has been restored. And it must be so good for the family to hear the real truth.

2. The speed with which the case has been brought to court. That helps the family so much. It seems to take forever here to bring cases to court. The waiting for the families must be awful.

Full marks to the Scottish police and judicial system.

And may she rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

He'll only have pleaded guilty on the advice of his legal team who will have told him that with the evidence against him, pleading guilty is the best option for him as any reasonably jury would find him guilty anyway and it now means he'll be out much quicker.

He's 21 and will be out in his 40's. Sickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Scotland doesn't have a whole-life-sentence like England & Wales, but I wouldn't imagine this would get a whole life tariff if it was

• Registered Users Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭G1032

Is there a chance of him getting life and life actually meaning in jail until he dies?

Yes, according to the link below at least.
    Unlimited maximum prison sentence can be handed down in the High Court in Scotland http://www.victimsofcrimeinscotland.org.uk/the-justice-process/court-process/court-sentencing-powers/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭G1032

Terrible tragedy.

However TWO good things come out of this, for me anyway.

1. All the speculation that Karen had "consensual sex" on the night have been disproven. Her name was a bit muddied to start with, and certain publications emphasised her possible "promiscuity". As if that is any reason for a person to be murdered. I am so glad that her good name has been restored. And it must be so good for the family to hear the real truth.

A number of posts on boards went a long ways to muddying her name in the immediate aftermath of her disappearance.Not going searching for them again but I recall being disgusted by some of the posts and suggestions forwarded on here.

• Advertisement

G1032 wrote: »
    A number of posts on boards went a long ways to muddying her name in the immediate aftermath of her disappearance.Not going searching for them again but I recall being disgusted by some of the posts and suggestions forwarded on here.

Victim blaming is alive and well in Ireland.

Advertisement